4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is this annoying grinding noise when accelerating?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 PM

What is this annoying grinding noise when accelerating?

My car's been running fine for a good while then a couple of weeks ago, ive been hearing this grinding noise whenever i accelerate from the front of my car. It has happens when i move from a red light, when i speed up on the highway, and now its starting to get me worried. it goes on even when i keep my speed at about 40 mph.
I searched in other threads about how this can possibly be the coilpacks going out, or bad spark plugs, or a bad bearing/worn out. Ive ruled out the bearings becuz i replaced those in december, and im not sure it is the coilpacks, but im wondering is there anything else that it possibly could be?
Also i checked for codes and there arent any... any help would be appreciated...
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 PM

engine knock????
what kind of gasoline do you use?
using 87 can lead to bad engine knock that sounds grinding wen u acclerate
our VQ motors are high compression and require 93 octane for optimal performance
Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by MAXEnvasion
engine knock????
what kind of gasoline do you use?
using 87 can lead to bad engine knock that sounds grinding wen u acclerate
our VQ motors are high compression and require 93 octane for optimal performance
oh believe me i use nothig less than the 93 octane, i stay away from the cheap stuff no matter what lol, and its not a knocking sound, more of a grinding sound
Old 05-21-2011, 10:07 PM

By any chance does anyone know the exact compression ratio of the VQ30?

To the op is it possible that the backing plate on your knuckle is rubbing on the rotor? Sometimes that makes a horrible noise
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
By any chance does anyone know the exact compression ratio of the VQ30?

To the op is it possible that the backing plate on your knuckle is rubbing on the rotor? Sometimes that makes a horrible noise
umm explain what the backing plate is again?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 AM

yeah i was gonna say check yur pads/rotors
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM

backing plates bend and rust causing them to grind against the rotors. i think you might be hearing a wheel bearing, which side is the noise coming from, check to see if you have too much play in the wheels while its up in the air. also, do you have any wheel shake while driving on highway/local roads.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a brand new 2011 Nissan Maxima. I just got it two weeks ago. When I accelerate and get to about 30 miles per hour, there is a grinding sound underneath the accelerator pedal. I drive the car barefoot, and I could actually feel the grinding through the pedal. This occurs when the car has been sitting for a while, usually around 30 minutes or so, and it is repeatable.
I am calling the dealership now. I use only high-grade gas, so I know that it cannot be related to the type of gasoline used.
I will post what I find out from the dealership. Someone suggested it was the air conditioning system, but this is usually turned off when I start the car and I don't turn it on until a few minutes after I have been driving.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by rhondav
I have a brand new 2011 Nissan Maxima. I just got it two weeks ago. When I accelerate and get to about 30 miles per hour, there is a grinding sound underneath the accelerator pedal. I drive the car barefoot, and I could actually feel the grinding through the pedal. This occurs when the car has been sitting for a while, usually around 30 minutes or so, and it is repeatable.
I am calling the dealership now. I use only high-grade gas, so I know that it cannot be related to the type of gasoline used.
I will post what I find out from the dealership. Someone suggested it was the air conditioning system, but this is usually turned off when I start the car and I don't turn it on until a few minutes after I have been driving.
lol, i understand your new to this but your probably expieriencing a slider not releasing on the caliper, or something else brake related. if its a grinding noise and you can feel it, then it would'nt be related to the ac or the type of gas your using. we also have a search engine in these forums and a no threadjacking rule, so search first, then start a thread if you dont find the answer your looking for.

Last edited by max ride 41; 06-13-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM

auto or manual? is it coming from the left, right? or center?