7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Headlight Shutoff & Comfort Entry/Exit Features Not Working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 AM

Exclamation Auto Headlight Shutoff & Comfort Entry/Exit Features Not Working?

I just bought a '10 Maxima SV Sport+Tech yesterday from Carmax. Car had 43k miles, but the previous owner looked like he took care of it - for example, there are high end Michelin Pilot Super Sport 19 tires on there.

There is one minor issue with it, though. Upon shutoff, the shutoff features don't seem to work properly. For example, shutoff the car last night and waited about 5 minutes. The xenon HID's stayed on, and probably would have until battery was drained.

The pertinent settings in the Nav > Settings > Comfort menu are all properly set.
Auto Headlamp Shutoff: 0 seconds
Entry/Exit Seat Adjustment: On
Entry/Exit Steering Wheel Tilt: On
I don't know if there are any other Entry/Exit features that exist, but those are the 3 I noticed last night.

Is this something that warrants bringing back to Carmax? Since it's software-related, something tells me they may not know how to fix it.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:53 AM

I know for me I never let the lights go to auto when I need them I just turn the stalk to auto so the lights come one and I shut them off once I'm done driving.... But sounds like you do have an issue
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Did you shut off the car and get out? Or shut it off and sit inside without opening the door? I think the headlight shut off feature only kicks in once you've opened/closed the door after turning the engine off.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Did you shut off the car and get out? Or shut it off and sit inside without opening the door? I think the headlight shut off feature only kicks in once you've opened/closed the door after turning the engine off.
Hmmm, I will have to try again tonight (as I did remain sitting in the car). That still doesn't explain the Entry/Exit Seat and Tilt Wheel features though.

On an unrelated note, I've been thinking to myself about how much of a First World Problem this is...hehe. #verythankful
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Yeah the auto off timer doesn't activate till the door is opened and closed. Since you have it set to 0 seconds they will shut off as soon as you open the door. If you sat in your car without opening the door then the battery saver feature would have kicked in at 10 mins and turned the lights off along with any other interior lights if any were left on as well.

The seat and steering wheel won't move out of the way till you open the door after turning the car off. If you turn the car off and then adjust the seat before opening the door then the easy entry/exit will be cancelled till the next engine cycle. Same if you get in the car and try to manually adjust seat/wheel before turning the car on having the easy exit/entry operate.

Last edited by LSIII; 09-23-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 AM

U have to get out and actually lock the doors via remote or button or on the door. Otherwise the lights stay on until the 10 minute power save mode kicks in.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
U have to get out and actually lock the doors via remote or button or on the door. Otherwise the lights stay on until the 10 minute power save mode kicks in.

No you don't have to lock the doors. Just open and close the door and keep all doors closed. I sometimes park in a house garage and when I do I don't lock the doors and the lights go out after the 60 seconds that I have set. One other thing is if you open and close a door before the timer has elapsed it starts over after the door is closed. So say I get out of the driver's seat and close the driver's door wait 30 seconds and then open another door the timer stops and then restarts back at 60 seconds once I close that door.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Hmm...so I got out of my car, closed and locked the door. However, the auto headlights stayed on (despite having the feature set at 0 seconds). The Auto Entry/Exit seat & wheel features still do not work.

I finally found something online about it, where it says I need to reconnect the battery cable or replace the fuse. Can someone elaborate as to what this means? Where do I find the applicable battery cable or fuse sections? It sounds like I can do this myself instead of paying $100+ to a dealer.

Auto-Manual.org
http://www.nissanmaxima.auto-manual....axima-136.html
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Just a question... Are you turning the headlights all the way on? Meaning twisting the **** all the way (3 turns) to turn the headlights on? Cause they only shutoff automatically if left in the auto position which is only one turn from the off position...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Comp625
Hmm...so I got out of my car, closed and locked the door. However, the auto headlights stayed on (despite having the feature set at 0 seconds). The Auto Entry/Exit seat & wheel features still do not work.

I finally found something online about it, where it says I need to reconnect the battery cable or replace the fuse. Can someone elaborate as to what this means? Where do I find the applicable battery cable or fuse sections? It sounds like I can do this myself instead of paying $100+ to a dealer.

Auto-Manual.org
http://www.nissanmaxima.auto-manual....axima-136.html
Just a question... Are you turning the headlights all the way on? Meaning twisting the **** all the way (3 turns) to turn the headlights on? Cause they only shutoff automatically if left in the auto position which is only one turn from the off position...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 AM

Yes, the **** itself is on Auto and the "Auto Headlamp Shutoff" setting (the Nav panel) is set to 0 seconds.

I wonder if reconnecting the battery cable and/or replacing this fuse will solve all of my shutoff issues? How would I go about doing this?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 PM

try putting the "Auto headlamp shutoff" setting to the next lowest setting besides "0 seconds"...