7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

opinions on Grounding Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:50 PM

opinions on Grounding Kit

ok well stillen and racingline both have grounding kits for the maxima now my question is

Is it worth the $100.00?

whats the difference between those two companies other then the name?

does it really make your car faster? smoother revving? or any other claim they say?

thanks for the help ill be looking forward for a response.
Stillen:http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA

Racingline: http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=22

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 07-11-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I cannot speak to the effects on your '09. However, the grounding kit did make my shifts smoother on my '05 and the windows rolled up faster. I would not pay $100 for a kit though. Mine only cost $50 from Active Tuning. I don't see where they have a kit for the 7th gen yet but I'd bet that they are working on it.

Another option is to make a kit yourself. Some folks have successfully gone this route.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 PM

I bought mine from Stillen but I could have easily made my own if ik it was that easy. I would say just get some measurements and see what you could do with it.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
I bought mine from Stillen but I could have easily made my own if ik it was that easy. I would say just get some measurements and see what you could do with it.

did you notice any type of difference? or is it just a appearance thing ?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Personally, I would buy from racingline(a personal vendor) over stillen if prices are comparable....
Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 PM

my friend made some for my old integra when i had a sound system.
known as "the big 3 upgrade"

IT'S WORTH IT imho..

but wow 100 bucks? lol
Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 AM

i think ill put those 100 bucks toward ud pulleys or something
Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 AM

I had one on my 06 from activetuning, 2 things I noticed it did was: smoothed out the transmission, the trans had a rough shift that was pretty much eliminated after I put the grounding wires on, and 2nd the ground wires fixed the sluggish rear power windows, I took it back to Nissan cause I thought something was wrong with them but they were fine, .

My 09, transmission shifts as smooth as any luxury car and the power windows are ridiculously fast and smooth.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:25 AM

ok so i guess ill order it.... and cross my fingers that i didnt throw money out the window =D
Old 07-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
I had one on my 06 from activetuning, 2 things I noticed it did was: smoothed out the transmission, the trans had a rough shift that was pretty much eliminated after I put the grounding wires on, and 2nd the ground wires fixed the sluggish rear power windows, I took it back to Nissan cause I thought something was wrong with them but they were fine, .

My 09, transmission shifts as smooth as any luxury car and the power windows are ridiculously fast and smooth.
Would this even help with the shifting of transmission, because our cvt dont even shift lol?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
ok so i guess ill order it.... and cross my fingers that i didnt throw money out the window =D
I think your throwing money out your window IMHO. Having your windows close faster and trans shift faster (which doesn't even shift) is crazy if you ask me.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
I think your throwing money out your window IMHO. Having your windows close faster and trans shift faster (which doesn't even shift) is crazy if you ask me.
yea lol i dont understand how will this make the cvt shift faster , when it doesnt shift at all
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 AM

Thought I was the only one!

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz

I thought I was the only thinking I was crazy, about smoothing the shifts out on a shiftless CVT vehicle....? Maybe I am missing something? I guess we will have to wait for more reviews from those who made the jump and go from there!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM

I don't think that grounding kits are a complete waste. they will help out in the long run as your grounds begin to corrode and become inefficient. I think that racingline would be a good option if they have them out(always nice to support a local vendor), another good option would be sunautomobile if they have any kits for the max. I had a grounding kit by active tuning and then UPGRADED to the sunautomobile one and it was much better than the active tuning....bigger wire, nicer leads, and seemed better crafted imo.....just my thoughts though
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM

any updates on the usefulness of a grounding kit?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Then only result you will obtain from installing a grounding kit on a 7th gen is loss of money, although if you have a 7th gen money might not be an issue lol. But yea, your cars are too new to benefit from grounding kits. Usually a car benefits from it when its factory wires have faced years and years deterioration, so improving grounds on a 3rd or 4th gen, you might possibly see a difference, not on a new car.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Llfe
any updates on the usefulness of a grounding kit?
I did one on my 7th gen, mostly just because I wanted to do a decent sized audio system. I figured that increasing the ground was probably a good idea, especially as time passes and factory grounds start to corrode.

On the up side, the car did seem to get a hair more response in the throttle. The windows are a little bit quicker, and there is absolutely no dimming of the lights when I play my stereo at night. Although I could just be imagining things.

If you do decide to do it, the Racingline kit is great and their support was top notch. I'm sure others have good kits too but Racingline would definitely be my first choice if I had to buy again.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ekrunch
I did one on my 7th gen, mostly just because I wanted to do a decent sized audio system. I figured that increasing the ground was probably a good idea, especially as time passes and factory grounds start to corrode.

On the up side, the car did seem to get a hair more response in the throttle. The windows are a little bit quicker, and there is absolutely no dimming of the lights when I play my stereo at night. Although I could just be imagining things.

If you do decide to do it, the Racingline kit is great and their support was top notch. I'm sure others have good kits too but Racingline would definitely be my first choice if I had to buy again.

that was one of my main reasons...i'm gonna put my JL's into this car and wanted to make sure the extra grounding support would help even though i'm putting in a 1/2 cap to make sure there's no dimming...

also...i think i read somewhere in the 4th gen forums that the ticking noise went away after the grounding kit was put in?...how would the grounding kit cut out the ticking noise????
Old 09-29-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by STARR

Did you put one on your 09 yet? I've gone back and forth on this topic and even got my megger out to check on the differential between different points on my Max with not seeing more than a .25 ohm differential (All Doors and trunk closed) One thing I was going to try, is reterminating my battery to chassis ground and no-oxing it when I replace the battery (i've noticed my nominal V dropping a bit and while it could be the ground only, I'll save myself a trip under the hood and take care of both concurrently.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 PM

So does anyone actually have a grounding kit on their 7th gen? I got a Racingline kit for cheap and am wondering if it's worth the time it takes to install

Last edited by Ghozt; 08-13-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Did you put one on your 09 yet? I've gone back and forth on this topic and even got my megger out to check on the differential between different points on my Max with not seeing more than a .25 ohm differential (All Doors and trunk closed) One thing I was going to try, is reterminating my battery to chassis ground and no-oxing it when I replace the battery (i've noticed my nominal V dropping a bit and while it could be the ground only, I'll save myself a trip under the hood and take care of both concurrently.
Have not put one on the 09 yet
Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 AM

i have the racingline grounding kit installed on my 09
Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

just do the big 3.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Llfe
i have the racingline grounding kit installed on my 09
Anyone have an opinion having it installed on the 7th gen?

Smoother idle perhaps or better response? Increase in mpg or brighter lights/crisper audio?

I think the $55 from racingline's website is a fair deal for an engineered grounding kit for our vehicle. I plan on investing in this mod soon.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 AM

I finally installed mine and my windows roll up and down faster, that's it. These kits only really help older cars so I'd only get one if you really have nothing else to spend your money on
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 AM

i heard it adds like 100 hp's...easily! LMAO
Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by eesjunin
i heard it adds like 100 hp's...easily! LMAO
Hilarious. Not as much hp gain as stickers I bet!

All joking aside, these wires are good for about 1 hp, but you get them for enhanced electric signals in the car through better grounding.

I just bought some from racingline.com and will install them on a weekend. I'm hoping for a +1 mpg increase and brighter headlights.

I had a DIY kit on my 6mt matrix xrs, but I want to try them on the maxima to see how they will work on the CVT.

I'll provide my review when I install them.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM

yeah i dunno about them being "engineered" or anything, they're just thick wires you can make your own kit if you want. i added the grounding kit to mine cause my battery is in the back so I wanted to make sure my ground is stable and bolted to the chassis in several spots. so for me it serves its purpose of maintaining a stable electrical system for years to come
Old 02-08-2012, 04:42 PM

i made soem myself, and mainly because i have a sound system..
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Maybe someone can help me out... I got the Racingline grounding kit intalled yesterday. I do notice a little better throttle responce (I think). But now my dash computer is all out of wack. The mpg stays at 15mpg (doesnt move). My windows dont go auto up anymore (they go up, but just not "auto"). And lastly my "miles till empty" says 500 miles when i filled up today... usually its maximum around 350 on a full tank) anyone know what could have happened?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you just reset the computer it will get proper #'s with some driving. For the auto up windows take them all the way down then take them up and hold the up switch for 10 seconds I believe and they will work again.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 AM

Hey Fundem, those issues sound crazy! Are you still having problems?

My only suggestions would be to either disconnect your battery for more than 10 minutes or to reinstall you wires. It's possible one of the wires may be disconnected or another electrical component has been disconnected in the engine bay.

Did you install these yourself or get a shop to put em in?

I remember I drove my sister's SUV home from the dealership after an oil change and about 1 mile down the road the ***** started smoking like crazy under the hood! Turned around and drove it back to the dealer. Turns out they forgot to tighten the oil cap. Those snaky punks....

By the way, I still haven't received my shipment from Racingline. UPS from Canada takes forever! Any day now....
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jodius Tha Warrior
Hey Fundem, those issues sound crazy! Are you still having problems?

My only suggestions would be to either disconnect your battery for more than 10 minutes or to reinstall you wires. It's possible one of the wires may be disconnected or another electrical component has been disconnected in the engine bay.

Did you install these yourself or get a shop to put em in?

I remember I drove my sister's SUV home from the dealership after an oil change and about 1 mile down the road the ***** started smoking like crazy under the hood! Turned around and drove it back to the dealer. Turns out they forgot to tighten the oil cap. Those snaky punks....

By the way, I still haven't received my shipment from Racingline. UPS from Canada takes forever! Any day now....
I had a shop instal them. The first thing I did was disconect the barttery. Now everything seems to be coming back, except just yesterday my fog lights went out. They were HID's from V-Leds and they dont come on anymore. I dont know if its related.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Had them installed on my engine for a couple weeks now. Don't really notice any major changes.

The audio is more crisp and bass hits harder at level 10 than before. My headlights are a tad bit brighter. Windows aren't any faster.

Faster auto shifts.... Dunno.
Better MPG..... About the same.
Increase in HP... Minuscule if any.

But I do feel good that I have better grounding. Haha! This mod is okay at best.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

can anyone provide the approximate lengths required for the big 3?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Blancaflor Jr
can anyone provide the approximate lengths required for the big 3?
Looking for this information as well, would appreciate it. Also, any idea how hard it is to get to the existing wiring?