7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FEELER: Custom Fiberglass Sun Enclosures for the 7th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM

FEELER: Custom Fiberglass Sub Enclosures for the 7th Gen

I started a thread last week showing off the custom sub enclosure that I made for my Max since someone was looking for people to post up their custom work that was done.

I am willing to do a few more of these enclosures for some of the members on the forum. Ideally I would want to do a few at a time based on how many people actually purchase the enclosures.

The enclosures can be made in one of two ways. The company I work for does alot of JL Audio equipment, mainly the 10W3v3 subwoofer. I have rings already CNC'd for these subs that allow the sub to be counter sunk into the box ( Shown in the pic below) If you're not looking to do a JL Sub I can just use a normal speaker that will house most subs of it's size. I can do just one side or if you're looking to do two subs I can do both.( NOTE; if you do boxes on both side the subs will have a little bit more of an angle towards the front of the vehicle to eliminate the subs cancelling each other out by firing too much at each other. But shouldn't take up any more space at all.)

So my question to everyone is...with the right amount of people and price would you want to buy one? Let me know your thoughts.... (Please don't ask for a bunch of hook-ups on JL equipment. I'm only focusing on subwoofers at the moment)

If you have questions, just ask on here or PM me.
Here's a couple snapshots....Thanks guys.

Name:  2012-03-23151108-1.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  38.5 KB
Name:  2012-03-23151123-1.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  43.0 KBName:  2012-03-24133607-1.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  2012-03-23175303.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  30.0 KB

Last edited by 20_Maxima_10; 06-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM

This is really nice. This would follow the same guide I think that is posted about tying into the rear speakers, correct? I might be interested depending on price and just how much it would cost to ship out to me.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM

I'm interested, the price will mainly be the deciding factor for me. Side note, how do u get to your spare if needed?? And where did u put your amp??
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by WrightOne86
This is really nice. This would follow the same guide I think that is posted about tying into the rear speakers, correct? I might be interested depending on price and just how much it would cost to ship out to me.
You would need to tie in your amp into the rear speakers yes.

I think if i can get 5 solid buyers and what exactly they want i can do every priced with shipping.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by eepowers
I'm interested, the price will mainly be the deciding factor for me. Side note, how do u get to your spare if needed?? And where did u put your amp??
You can mount the box any way u want, screw it down or what i did was just velcro and it holds just fine. The box and sub is very light compared to a normal box setup so it doesn't go anywhere. So its very easily removable for spare access.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Man, I was so confused by the title of this thread. I was like "How do you enclose the freakin SUN?" I thought it must have something to do with the sunroof.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Buckeye
Man, I was so confused by the title of this thread. I was like "How do you enclose the freakin SUN?" I thought it must have something to do with the sunroof.
yeah I know....i was trying to just edit the title but I can't! maybe I should redo the post??
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Haha, I never even noticed it said Sun instead of sub. So do you have your amp just velcro'd to the back of the trunk or something? You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that as well would you?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 PM

This is like the Zen Enclosures for the Gs/Zs. These give a stock look with preimum sound. Id be in. Im not for bass but 1 small sub wouldnt hurt right?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by WrightOne86
Haha, I never even noticed it said Sun instead of sub. So do you have your amp just velcro'd to the back of the trunk or something? You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that as well would you?
No I don't have pics of the amp...I was kinda in lazy both with pics when I started that part of the install....I used a JL Audio 750x1 HD Amp. It was small enough to mount underneath the rear deck hidden by the trunk liner that covers the rear deck speakers and sunshade. I've seen some amp get mounted where the factory changer would usually go on the right side underneath the rear deck. Some people mount them on the back of the back seat as well depending on how big your existing amp is.

Originally Posted by eljoker
This is like the Zen Enclosures for the Gs/Zs. These give a stock look with preimum sound. Id be in. Im not for bass but 1 small sub wouldnt hurt right?
1 solid 10" sub would give you a very noticeable sound that I think you'd be happy with if you're not looking for alot of trunk rattling bass. the JL 10W3v3 is a middle range sub with very good sound.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 PM

I would be 100% interested. I was actually just going to go to a shop to get a fiberglass enclosure priced and wanted something exactly like this. Right now I'm running a custom 40lb 12" rated at 2000w rms in a square cubic 1.5' (post displacement) box, but its just too much for the max and my current needs. I also just redid my front stage and am less focused on the Sub stage so a single corner glass box for a 10" would suit my needs much more and give me back most of my trunk. Not a big fan of the 10w3 (no offense just preference) so I would rather have one built for a normal 10" sub. I would also be willing to pay up front / deposit if you need a definite commitment to make a few more. A left side box is what I'm looking for just like the one pictured.

One question, what is the mounting depth and internal volume of the enclosure?

Thanks for posting this!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by DMCfirestar500
I would be 100% interested. I was actually just going to go to a shop to get a fiberglass enclosure priced and wanted something exactly like this. Right now I'm running a custom 40lb 12" rated at 2000w rms in a square cubic 1.5' (post displacement) box, but its just too much for the max and my current needs. I also just redid my front stage and am less focused on the Sub stage so a single corner glass box for a 10" would suit my needs much more and give me back most of my trunk. Not a big fan of the 10w3 (no offense just preference) so I would rather have one built for a normal 10" sub. I would also be willing to pay up front / deposit if you need a definite commitment to make a few more. A left side box is what I'm looking for just like the one pictured.

One question, what is the mounting depth and internal volume of the enclosure?

Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for your interest. 40lbs?? plus the weight of the box?? What kind of sub is it?

I know that there is no companies making any type of "stealth" type of boxes for the max so I wanted to see if I could tap some sort of small market to give some of you guys just what your looking for.

The volume of the enclosure picture is very close to .65 cubic feet. As far as mounting depth, I know I had plenty of room to play with when it came to the 10W3 but I didn't get a measurement but I am almost 99% sure it's over 8 inches of mounting depth. The beauty of this is if you have a sub that you want to run and have specs. I can get as close to those specs as possible and keep the same design.

My target goal 5 solid buyers but if I only end up making one box for one person, I'm game for that too. I would like to have payment upfront. I feel that deposit still leads to laziness in getting the job done. I like to be on m toes when it comes to others peoples time and money. I will give priority to those that pay first. Just like everyone else, I work a normal job Monday - Fri and that job comes first . My goal turn around time from start to ship is roughly 3 days. I will do my best to keep everyone updated on their boxes and where I am along the process and keep the listed updated. I take pride in my work as there are 100 different ways people work with fiberglass. But I also believe that there is no cutting corners with these types of jobs.

Last edited by 20_Maxima_10; 03-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 PM

So here is who I have so far that are interested in an enclosure.

eepowers
Wrightone86
eljoker (box and sub)
DMCfirestar500 (box only)
longisland09maxima
Ghozt (box only)

Those that are listed without a choice of "sub and box" or just "box" let me know via reply or PM so I can get the list updated. I will let this post sit over the weekend to see if we get any more takers then I will have prices for everything Monday evening. All the prices will include shipping to you. It will be a flat price based on whether you purchase a sub and enclosure or just an enclosure. Remember, the more solid buyers I can get I can definitely save you guys some money. Thanks again.

Last edited by 20_Maxima_10; 03-31-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Updated list
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
So here is who I have so far that are interested in an enclosure.

eepowers
Wrightone86
eljoker
DMCfirestar500 (box only)

Those that are listed without a choice of "sub and box" or just "box" let me know via reply or PM so I can get the list updated. I will let this post sit over the weekend to see if we get any more takers then I will have prices for everything Monday evening. All the prices will include shipping to you. It will be a flat price based on whether you purchase a sub and enclosure or just an enclosure. Remember, the more solid buyers I can get I can definitely save you guys some money. Thanks again.
I want one w/both a sub and a box. Can you fit any 10inch sub in this enclosure?? Cause if that's the case, I may just get the enclosure alone. I want a good 10inch sub, but not trying to win any contests. Just want good clean bass in the car. Can u show the back of the enclosure and how I attached it with Velcro? ? I'm kinda curious about that part.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM

And does that sub have a grill??
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 AM

I would love this. Price is obviously teh decicing factor. Can the carpet be done in any different colors and or can you do a smooth fiberglass that i could get painted ya know with NO carpet??
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 AM

Please price quote me with the Sub included.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks for your interest. 40lbs?? plus the weight of the box?? What kind of sub is it?

I know that there is no companies making any type of "stealth" type of boxes for the max so I wanted to see if I could tap some sort of small market to give some of you guys just what your looking for.

The volume of the enclosure picture is very close to .65 cubic feet. As far as mounting depth, I know I had plenty of room to play with when it came to the 10W3 but I didn't get a measurement but I am almost 99% sure it's over 8 inches of mounting depth. The beauty of this is if you have a sub that you want to run and have specs. I can get as close to those specs as possible and keep the same design.

My target goal 5 solid buyers but if I only end up making one box for one person, I'm game for that too. I would like to have payment upfront. I feel that deposit still leads to laziness in getting the job done. I like to be on m toes when it comes to others peoples time and money. I will give priority to those that pay first. Just like everyone else, I work a normal job Monday - Fri and that job comes first . My goal turn around time from start to ship is roughly 3 days. I will do my best to keep everyone updated on their boxes and where I am along the process and keep the listed updated. I take pride in my work as there are 100 different ways people work with fiberglass. But I also believe that there is no cutting corners with these types of jobs.
40 lbs is just the sub, the box is an additional 30lbs or so (3/4" mdf all around with 1.5" front) The Motor and basket of the sub are a Sunfire Bob Carver Signature MKII it was reconed locally, really is setup as an SPL woofer with one way xmax of over 1.5" just not suited at all for the Max but I had it laying around from competing with it about 10 years ago so I put it in there in a sealed box designed for an Image Dynamics IDMax so kind of a hodgepodge of what I had laying around.

As far as the sub I want, I was thinking maybe something like an 10" IDmax or possibly 10" W6v2 but looking for dual 2 ohm and I think the w6v2 is only available in dual 4. I will look around this weekend and see what I come up with on the sub. I'll be pushing it with an original (pre R/E) US Amps Merlin MD22 so about 650wrms @ 4 ohms. My front stage is running off an MD 42 so trying to keep it consistent and possibly take end caps off amps to make them look like one long amp depending on how I end up mounting them in the max.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by eepowers
And does that sub have a grill??
I can get the mesh grilles that are made by JL for the sub. It's a tight mesh aluminum like a grille should have and protects the entire sub. Not just for looks.

And I can make the box with a normal 10" ring that should fit most subs, it just won't have the flush look like the one that is pictures.

Originally Posted by longisland09maxima
I would love this. Price is obviously teh decicing factor. Can the carpet be done in any different colors and or can you do a smooth fiberglass that i could get painted ya know with NO carpet??
I can do the carpet in whatever color is available to me so if you have a suggestion or preference let me know. I can smooth out the box and also have it painted if you want. Obviously that's more time and extra cost when it comes to smoothing and painting but if you're up for it, it can be done. Let me know a couple choices of what you want and I can work up the different costs for the choices you decide.

Originally Posted by eljoker
Please price quote me with the Sub included.
Will do. As I put earlier I will work all the numbers for those interested on Monday so it give time for people that want to get in on it to reply.

Last edited by 20_Maxima_10; 03-31-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by DMCfirestar500
40 lbs is just the sub, the box is an additional 30lbs or so (3/4" mdf all around with 1.5" front) The Motor and basket of the sub are a Sunfire Bob Carver Signature MKII it was reconed locally, really is setup as an SPL woofer with one way xmax of over 1.5" just not suited at all for the Max but I had it laying around from competing with it about 10 years ago so I put it in there in a sealed box designed for an Image Dynamics IDMax so kind of a hodgepodge of what I had laying around.

As far as the sub I want, I was thinking maybe something like an 10" IDmax or possibly 10" W6v2 but looking for dual 2 ohm and I think the w6v2 is only available in dual 4. I will look around this weekend and see what I come up with on the sub. I'll be pushing it with an original (pre R/E) US Amps Merlin MD22 so about 650wrms @ 4 ohms. My front stage is running off an MD 42 so trying to keep it consistent and possibly take end caps off amps to make them look like one long amp depending on how I end up mounting them in the max.

Will that amp run at 2ohms? And yes JL only makes it in a dual 4ohm. but I'm sure your amp can power that sub just fine wired at 2ohms.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM

I like this a lot, I am curious on the exact dimensions to see if I can find my single 12" Alpine in there. I'd be in for one that goes on the passenger side of the car if the price is good
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM

Will that amp run at 2ohms? And yes JL only makes it in a dual 4ohm. but I'm sure your amp can power that sub just fine wired at 2ohms.
The MD22 bridged to one channel is only 4 ohm stable (its a class A/B) and is birthed at 658wrms @ 4 ohms. I'm leaning towards an IDQ or possibly an IDMax but I have a feeling the IDmax won't fit due to mounting depth plus the max really likes larger boxes around 1.5 cubic feet. Trying to research a decent sub that will like 600wrms sound good and do well in a box this size. Have alot of experience with Image dynamics subs and am thinking an IDQ will fit my needs well will just have to keep the gains low.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
I like this a lot, I am curious on the exact dimensions to see if I can find my single 12" Alpine in there. I'd be in for one that goes on the passenger side of the car if the price is good
Ghozt, each enclosure is made by hand. No Molds or anything like that. So if I know what sub you have I can do my best to make the box as close to specs as far as volumes and mounting depth as possible.

This isn't a mass produced type of thing. Each one will be unique and one of a kind. No assembly line here. Just me using my time to help out fellow 7th Gen owners.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM

I can get the mesh grilles that are made by JL for the sub. It's a tight mesh aluminum like a grille should have and protects the entire sub. Not just for looks.

And I can make the box with a normal 10" ring that should fit most subs, it just won't have the flush look like the one that is pictures.

I can do the carpet in whatever color is available to me so if you have a suggestion or preference let me know. I can smooth out the box and also have it painted if you want. Obviously that's more time and extra cost when it comes to smoothing and painting but if you're up for it, it can be done. Let me know a couple choices of what you want and I can work up the different costs for the choices you decide.

Will do. As I put earlier I will work all the numbers for those interested on Monday so it give time for people that want to get in on it to reply.

I would want a price for just the enclosure smoothed out and unpainted. I will get it painted by me
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM

Ghozt, each enclosure is made by hand. No Molds or anything like that. So if I know what sub you have I can do my best to make the box as close to specs as far as volumes and mounting depth as possible.

This isn't a mass produced type of thing. Each one will be unique and one of a kind. No assembly line here. Just me using my time to help out fellow 7th Gen owners.
Alpine 1242D. PM me with estimated prices this will save me lots of trunk space
Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 PM

I PM'd everyone that was on the list. Feel free to hit me up with questions if you have them.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM

I PM'd everyone that was on the list. Feel free to hit me up with questions if you have them.
I sent you an e-mail about some info and I have nothing yet, please hit me up!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chief Holley
I sent you an e-mail about some info and I have nothing yet, please hit me up!
you sent me a friend request i think...I don't have a PM from you.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 PM

you sent me a friend request i think...I don't have a PM from you.
My bad, I fat fingered it!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM

Im interested as well. I have an enclosure just like this in my 02 TL-S with a JL 10W6-V2 in it. I've always wanted another enclosure for the other side of the trunk but that car is being sold/parted...

Let me know what it would cost to do 2 enclosures for my '11 Max (one each side of trunk) for JL 10W6's. I already have one sub so feel free to price one more and I'll decide if I want to buy that too or not.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Love my '09

Folks, remember, this is a person to person sale, not a group buy, not a sponsored sale. All transactions need to occur OUTSIDE of this forum. PM, personal email, etc.

As you're NOT a vendor, keep in mind, BUYER BEWARE/SELLER BEWARE, if either side has problems with a private transaction, the mods will NOT get involved to settle disputes.

Either way, that's a pretty cool project you're making for yourself!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Folks, remember, this is a person to person sale, not a group buy, not a sponsored sale. All transactions need to occur OUTSIDE of this forum. PM, personal email, etc.

As you're NOT a vendor, keep in mind, BUYER BEWARE/SELLER BEWARE, if either side has problems with a private transaction, the mods will NOT get involved to settle disputes.

Either way, that's a pretty cool project you're making for yourself!
Well said and well aware nThanks
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jeffrop
Im interested as well. I have an enclosure just like this in my 02 TL-S with a JL 10W6-V2 in it. I've always wanted another enclosure for the other side of the trunk but that car is being sold/parted...

Let me know what it would cost to do 2 enclosures for my '11 Max (one each side of trunk) for JL 10W6's. I already have one sub so feel free to price one more and I'll decide if I want to buy that too or not.

Thanks
PM Sent
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Haven't posted the finished product but here it is now. 2 JL W3v3 10"s.

Painted the rings to match the car.

Name:  2012-06-22172632.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  34.4 KB
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM

thats mad clean bro. i still gotta hit you up about my 12" custom enclosure i jus got a few other things to do first
Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Im definitely interested bro. Count me in.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Wow ! Now that looks awesome! You can't get cleaner than that... Keep up the good work!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just PM'd you hoping you still make these boxes. I have been on the lookout for a custom solution like this and I am very interested in seeing what something like this would run me for my '12 SV.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 AM

Dude that is gorgeous and gives you your whole trunk back, I would be very interested, I have my own subs so would be interested in two boxes if the price is right.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM

Is anyone even looking at the dates? This is almost 3 years old.

Quick Reply: FEELER: Custom Fiberglass Sun Enclosures for the 7th Gen