7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: DVD Bypass for Non-Navigation Tech Pkg Maximas!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 PM

HOW TO: DVD Bypass for Non-Navigation Tech Pkg Maximas!

Well I got tired of waiting so I went out and got to it. And figured I wouldnt keep it from y'all.

Here ya go.

1. Remove the screen surround by pulling and prying with a plastic interior "popper". As you can see there are quite a few clips. There are 3 plugs onto the back of this. Undo them and put this aside. (Pic below is completed so disregard the black wire you will not have this until it is complete)

2. Next remove the 2 black screws at the top of bottom portion of the stereo.

3. Now pull on this to release 4 clips that hold this on. There is one plug at the bottom of this. unplug and set aside.

4. Now the actual stereo is exposed (silver box). It is held in with 4 screws. Remove there and pull it out. For the bottom left screw you may have to put your transmission in neutral to get a good angle on it. MAKE SURE YOUR PARKING BRAKE IS ON AND YOUR ARE ON LEVEL GROUND!

5. The connector you are looking for is the BIGGEST ONE. It is located on the bottom left hand (drivers) side of the stereo.

6. Cut the VSS wire. PURPLE/WHITE TRACER. Make sure you seal the ends to prevent shorting out. (I just quickly wrapped tape to make sure it worked before I permanently sealed the ends. This will eliminate the Speed Volume Control but I hated it anyways. so no biggy.

7. Next cut the EBrake wire. GREEN/RED TRACER. Ground the end that is coming out of the connector to the frame that holds the silver box (stereo) into the dash. I had to add and extra wire to get it to reach. (this will be soldered, again just quickly put together to make sure it worked)

8. ALL DONE! Easy as pie. Took me 15 minutes. Put your stuff back together and ENJOY!

Last edited by maxxxxspeed; 05-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Wow. How did you know what wires to use? I told you a month ago and like I said, the speedsense and ebrake wires. Same for Nav units. Sorry you took so long to try what I told you to do. Congrats on your mod.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM

One qwerk I do notice is that when playing Netflix there is no sound unless the USB is unplugged. Yet when you play a movie that is actually loaded onto the Iphone the sound works fine with the USB in. Anyone have ANY IDEAS?

Last edited by maxxxxspeed; 05-01-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 PM

That's weird. When I plug in my USB, It plays video but I need to disconnect the USB To play music but I am using a hub for multiple devices so not sure on that one.

Last edited by MooShoo; 05-01-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Hmmm... i wonder if there is anything that can be done...

But you never "told me what to do" you told me the names of the wires. No colors or location. So i got out my trusty multimeter and did it myself after no response to 2 PM and 2 Posts asking for your help.

Last edited by maxxxxspeed; 05-01-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 PM

EASILY. Ha
Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 PM

Disconnect the USB to play music? Are you sure... Music plays through the USB not the components.

Scratch what I said earlier... It will only play sound if the USB is disconnected for all videos... That is stupid. Whats the point to have the charging capability if you cannot use it!

Last edited by maxxxxspeed; 05-01-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM

It's because Im using my hub which is always connected to the original USB. I actually have to disconnect from the hub to play music through my component cable and plug the USB back into the hub to play video. I'm using the Apple Component Cable.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 PM

That is exactly what I am using, Apple Component Cable. but yours seems to be the exact opposite of mine. Mine plays music through the USB and Video with Audio through the Components.

Music can be played with the Components and USB plugged in, but NOT with just the components.

Video with Audio only the Components can be plugged in to get audio with the video.

Last edited by maxxxxspeed; 05-01-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by maxxxxspeed
That is exactly what I am using, Apple Component Cable. but yours seems to be the exact opposite of mine. Mine plays music through the USB and Video with Audio through the Components.

Music can be played with the Components and USB plugged in, but NOT with just the components.

Video with Audio only the Components can be plugged in to get audio with the video.
There is the difference. Because I use a USB hub and relocated my component box, I don't have to plug and unplug any of my component cables. I just have one USB cable to plug in to play video and out when I want to access my iPad playlist.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 PM

I am confused. I am a very visual person.

My components (Yellow, White, and Red) can be left plugged in all the time. I do not have to remove them for any reason. On the other hand, my USB has to be plugged into the USB port of the car for my music to play (through the IPod screen), but has to be unplugged from the car in order for movies to play with audio.

I do not see what a USB hub changes. All it is something that takes 1 USB plug and turns it into multiple USB plugs.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Well something I noticed by this is that the Airbag warning light now blinks constantly. I am thinking this has something to do with the VSS wire being snipped. I am going to try to put the wire back together and see if that fixes the problem. Maybe a switch will have to be installed to just interupt?
EDIT:

All your need to do is THIS

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Found this worth a quick try:

Manual SRS Light Reset
For Nissan & Infinity Vehicles

This method works from 2003-Current

If your airbag light is on (or flashing)... try this. By the way, use a stopwatch to count.... the timing must be accurate in order for it to work.

1) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
2) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
4) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
5) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
7) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
8) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
9) Wait 4 seconds
10) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car (the light may be blinking slower than before)
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car

Last edited by maxxxxspeed; 05-02-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is awesome I've been waiting for someone to post this.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info! I tried this over the weekend. I thought I'd be clever and put a switch on the VSS wire so I could put it back to "Stock" if needed. I didn't see it mentioned here and what I didn't realize was that once you ground the eBrake wire going to the radio, the "eBrake" light comes on and the "info center" in the instrument cluster constantly warms me that the eBrake is on, UNLESS I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

Correction: It was clarified after the fact that you shouldn't use a switch on either the VSS or Ground wires. Simply cut the VSS, protect the ends from shorting out then cut the eBrake wire as well. "Ground" the eBrake wire that comes out of the radio harness, and protect the other end from shorting out. Afterwards, clear the SRS light and you'll be all set.

Last edited by ThisOneHere; 06-15-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM

You did it wrong. No warning light ever here.

If you don't have nav no need for the switch on the VSS, will do nothing besides making the brake light come on. Remove the switch and seal both ends, make sure you grounded the Ebrake wire from the stereo and NOT the car and you will be good to go.

So in saying that please edit your previous post as you performed the mod wrong and therefore do not have the correct info in saying there are tradeoffs as there are NONE as myself and countless others know...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM

So clarifying what I said...

You CUT both the VSS and the Ebrake wire in HALF. You seal BOTH ends of the VSS wire (NO SWITCH unless you have nav). You seal the end of the Ebrake wire half that is coming from the CAR and GROUND the wire coming from the RADIO.

In what YOU said (not following the directions given in the first post). You put a switch on the VSS (wrong if you don't have nav). And you grounded the wire coming from the car (wrong, you ground it from the radio).
Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM

The reason your car is signaling the Ebrake warning is because your car is sensing the vehicle is moving (the VSS wire) because of the switch which should not be there. I bet if you took out the switch and ground the Ebrake wire from the radio you will not have any warnings.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Sorry so many posts I am on my phone...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just eliminated the switch and grounded the radio end only and I seem to be in good shape.

That said, the only outstanding issue at this point is that the SRS light still blinks. I attempted the instructions you posted for clearing the SRS light and it's still on. That leads me to 2 questions:

1) When it says "Wait 7 seconds after the SRS light comes on", does that mean wait for it to start blinking, then wait 7 seconds, or does it mean wait 7 seconds from the instant you turn the car "ON". I ask because in my car the SRS light comes on immediately when I turn the car to "ON" (without engine running) but doesn't start blinking until 5-7 seconds later which would throw off the timing enough for the process not to work.

2) I also began to wonder if the SRS light is on for a reason. I'm wondering if the SRS system is smart enough to only deploy airbags in a collision if the car is moving. With the VSS wire cut, I'm wondering if the SRS system just always assumes the car is stationary, hence the SRS light being on after cutting the wire. I'm apprehensive that in the case of an accident, the SRS system wouldn't deploy. Maybe my assumption is way off base but it's certainly worth confirming since that's a pretty big price to pay for DVD playback.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ThisOneHere; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 AM

Follow the directions I posted. Worked the first time for me...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Follow the directions I posted. Worked the first time for me...
LOL I did a few times which is what lead me to my question asking for more details. Since asking for anything more than "you did it wrong" wasn't working out for me, I did some research and found a less convoluted variation of the SRS light reset process. I thought I'd share:

HOW TO reset SRS / airbag light. NO STOP WATCH REQUIRED & half the steps:

1. Turn ignition switch “ON”.

2. As soon as the SRS / airbag light stops running solid and starts flashing [which happens to take 7 seconds from switching "ON"] IMMEDIATELY (within 1 second) turn ignition switch “OFF”.

3. When ignition is "OFF", wait AT LEAST 3 seconds. (I waited 4 beeps).

4. Repeat Steps 1-3 TWO more times (for a total of 3 times).

5. After repeating a total of 3 times, turn ignition switch “ON”.

6. The SRS should now be in Diagnosis mode. In diagnosis mode, the light should flash 2 seconds off, 3 seconds on (instead of steady or quickly). If this is the case, simply turn ignition switch “OFF” to erase the SRS error from memory. If not, repeat steps 1-5.

7. Turn ignition switch “ON”. “SRS / AIR BAG” warning lamp should stay on for 7 seconds, then go off, like normal.

This worked for me the first try.

Last edited by ThisOneHere; 06-16-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Good!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ThisOneHere
I just eliminated the switch and grounded the radio end only and I seem to be in good shape.

That said, the only outstanding issue at this point is that the SRS light still blinks. I attempted the instructions you posted for clearing the SRS light and it's still on. That leads me to 2 questions:

1) When it says "Wait 7 seconds after the SRS light comes on", does that mean wait for it to start blinking, then wait 7 seconds, or does it mean wait 7 seconds from the instant you turn the car "ON". I ask because in my car the SRS light comes on immediately when I turn the car to "ON" (without engine running) but doesn't start blinking until 5-7 seconds later which would throw off the timing enough for the process not to work.

2) I also began to wonder if the SRS light is on for a reason. I'm wondering if the SRS system is smart enough to only deploy airbags in a collision if the car is moving. With the VSS wire cut, I'm wondering if the SRS system just always assumes the car is stationary, hence the SRS light being on after cutting the wire. I'm apprehensive that in the case of an accident, the SRS system wouldn't deploy. Maybe my assumption is way off base but it's certainly worth confirming since that's a pretty big price to pay for DVD playback.

Thanks again!
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MooShoo
Wow. How did you know what wires to use? I told you a month ago and like I said, the speedsense and ebrake wires. Same for Nav units. Sorry you took so long to try what I told you to do. Congrats on your mod.
So MooShoo, the wire colors are the same for 2011 Navi? I was going to wait until the car is out of warranty to do this mod, but after learning of all the limitations of using the system while in motion, I think I'll just go ahead and do it now. You should link your youtube vid, it's a great starting point showing how the switch affects the system. Will this let you plug in addresses, search songs, etc while in motion or is it just for video purposes?

Originally Posted by ThisOneHere
That said, the only outstanding issue at this point is that the SRS light still blinks.

I also began to wonder if the SRS light is on for a reason. I'm wondering if the SRS system is smart enough to only deploy airbags in a collision if the car is moving. With the VSS wire cut, I'm wondering if the SRS system just always assumes the car is stationary, hence the SRS light being on after cutting the wire. I'm apprehensive that in the case of an accident, the SRS system wouldn't deploy. Maybe my assumption is way off base but it's certainly worth confirming since that's a pretty big price to pay for DVD playback.
Uuuuh...do we know the answer to this? Hope this isn't the case.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 AM

I want to do this but worried about voiding the warranty on my lease... Anyone have any issues? With the non navi 2011 maximas no switch is required, correct?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jjklongisland
I want to do this but worried about voiding the warranty on my lease... Anyone have any issues? With the non navi 2011 maximas no switch is required, correct?
I have the non navi 2011 with no issues. Warranty will be voided on the radio only and I also have the ext warranty.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Another ? My salesman said my Maxima had a DVD player in dash that only plays when the ebrake is on. I have every option in my max except nav. I tried to put a DVD in the player tonight with ebrake on and it said disc error??? Looked in my manual and it kept referring nav models only play DVD's. Is that true. If that is true than by doing this DVD bypass I wouldnt be able to play DVD's? Completely confused. I thought the tech package included the juke box and rear camera which I have... Maybe the DVD I was using (Pirates of the Caribbean) wasnt compatable...
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Your dealer was mistaken.... You have hook ups in your center console. The disc player only plays CDs only the NAV can play DVDs in the dash.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Your dealer was mistaken.... You have hook ups in your center console. The disc player only plays CDs only the NAV can play DVDs in the dash.
Thanks for the clarification... Makes sense now.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Non Navi Bypass Maxima 2011

Non navi bypass maxima 2011
I did it 3 days ago and everything work perfect
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When playing video on the tech pkg screen, is everyone getting full screen? I only get a square the middle, not full (wide) screen.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Well something I noticed by this is that the Airbag warning light now blinks constantly. I am thinking this has something to do with the VSS wire being snipped. I am going to try to put the wire back together and see if that fixes the problem. Maybe a switch will have to be installed to just interupt?
EDIT:

All your need to do is THIS
what if you disconnect the battery when you do it? the airbag light still come on?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM

Well I got tired of waiting so I went out and got to it. And figured I wouldnt keep it from y'all.

Here ya go.

1. Remove the screen surround by pulling and prying with a plastic interior "popper". As you can see there are quite a few clips. There are 3 plugs onto the back of this. Undo them and put this aside. (Pic below is completed so disregard the black wire you will not have this until it is complete)

2. Next remove the 2 black screws at the top of bottom portion of the stereo.

3. Now pull on this to release 4 clips that hold this on. There is one plug at the bottom of this. unplug and set aside.

4. Now the actual stereo is exposed (silver box). It is held in with 4 screws. Remove there and pull it out. For the bottom left screw you may have to put your transmission in neutral to get a good angle on it. MAKE SURE YOUR PARKING BRAKE IS ON AND YOUR ARE ON LEVEL GROUND!

5. The connector you are looking for is the BIGGEST ONE. It is located on the bottom left hand (drivers) side of the stereo.

6. Cut the VSS wire. PURPLE/WHITE TRACER. Make sure you seal the ends to prevent shorting out. (I just quickly wrapped tape to make sure it worked before I permanently sealed the ends. This will eliminate the Speed Volume Control but I hated it anyways. so no biggy.

7. Next cut the EBrake wire. GREEN/RED TRACER. Ground the end that is coming out of the connector to the frame that holds the silver box (stereo) into the dash. I had to add and extra wire to get it to reach. (this will be soldered, again just quickly put together to make sure it worked)

8. ALL DONE! Easy as pie. Took me 15 minutes. Put your stuff back together and ENJOY!
just tried this mod a sec ago took me all in all about 20 mins to do thank you so much for posting this and the airbag thing also was really helpful
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM

Can I see the pic after the job was done.. I would like to see how the finished one look like..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 AM

First let me thank maxxxspeed. I did the bypass this weekend, it took about 20 mins. The pin connectors were not in the same location on my 2009, I just searched each connector there was only one with green & red, purple& white. Works great again thanks. Olive this forum
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM

Noob here, been reading a lot of post trying to fill my head with Maxima knowledge. Picking up my 2012 S model tomorrow. But I have to ask this stupid question. What are you bypassing if you do not have Navigation? Is this so you can watch movies from the dash screen?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Max57
Noob here, been reading a lot of post trying to fill my head with Maxima knowledge. Picking up my 2012 S model tomorrow. But I have to ask this stupid question. What are you bypassing if you do not have Navigation? Is this so you can watch movies from the dash screen?
Unless you have the Tech package this is not relevant. I have a base S model too and am stuck with the orange stock screen that only shows AC/radio controls. Nothing S owners can do here unless you go aftermarket or something.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:22 AM

SO CAN i do this with a SV NO NAV? NO TECH?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Does this work for 09 non navi? What I read is 10 has video aux for non navi. Just deciding to buy a non navi with all options maxima but not sure to go with 09 or 10

Quick Reply: HOW TO: DVD Bypass for Non-Navigation Tech Pkg Maximas!