7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tapping at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 PM

Engine tapping at idle

Hello all,
I've been hearing a steady tapping sound coming from the engine and I was curious if this is normal operational noise or something else.

I can hear the tapping clearly at idle and it is not exhaust shielding as the noise stops when the engine is turned off. Its also not oil level or type. The car has around 1,400 miles and hasn't been in for its first change yet, so Ester oil isn't a factor.. I also doubt its fuel related as nothing but premium has been placed in the tank from a variety of stations and the noise persists.

I have made short YouTube video (less than 40 secs) of the sound. Before I hit the dealership and make an *** of myself, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by jommbi; 10-17-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Try the oil change. Should take care of it.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by LakeShow
Try the oil change. Should take care of it.
Not sure why that would take care of the problem. Its still has the factory oil in the crankcase, which I'm assuming is the Ester oil.

Does your engine sound like this?

Last edited by jommbi; 10-17-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 PM

checked all the caps are tightened?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 AM

dude , that does not sound like normal to me ... take it to the dealer
Old 10-18-2010, 12:51 AM

I second the motion,that does not sound anything like mine....dealer time!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk5A6...eature=related (listen to this one sounds familiar)

Last edited by goog67; 10-18-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:42 AM

It's def time to change your oil. First oil change in a brand new car is critical and should be done no later than 1500 miles. It helps rid the engine of shaved metal from the breakin period. You can change it yourself or if you have time to take it in to the stealership I'm sure they will give you a free oil change. Either way I wouldn't put it off or the stealership will probably place they blame on you for not changing your oil. Good luck man
Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM

I doubt very much that an oil change will solve your problem.

In with the normal valve train sounds, you have a tap tap tap sound.

I would bring it in to the stealership and suffer the slings and arrows. Keep your receipt in case it gets worse in the future.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM

My car has the same noise but I've asked around n they have told me it's normal but I thought since mayb I put the stillen intake and exhaust I thought hose where the results of it
Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM

I've heard many new maximas and dont like that at all
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 AM

my car doesnt make that noise ...its quiet even with intake (obviously hear the engine running)....i have 58,000 miles.....
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My friend bought a new Maxima and he had the same noise. The dealership replaced the engine. They said there was something wrong in the inside. They sent the old engine to Nissan and they haven't came back with a better answer.
The car sounds so much better now...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 AM

I can hear my tick mildly.Not that liud but does sound like a old clumker car.The injectors are loud also,I will note.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 PM

Took the car in for noise inspection and oil change. Was told I was hearing normal engine sound. I am not convinced yet... I'm thinking it could be the variable valve the infinity guys were complaining about. So at the next change, I'm going to ask to hear another '10 next to mine.

Last edited by jommbi; 01-18-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM

yea . good move there . so that way u know there are not just blowing u off
Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by nismo6rr
I've heard many new maximas and dont like that at all
I've heard many maximas, none of them have knocks or tapping, with more mileage they start to sound abused but thats typical of most cars, since owners beat the hell out of them from day one.

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23
I can hear my tick mildly.Not that liud but does sound like a old clumker car.The injectors are loud also,I will note.
The only slight tick I have is the injectors and thats normal, if you want more sound insulation buy an actual Luxury car.

If your car sounds like a clunker, you might want to let it warm up, premature wear is probably what your hearing, but that is typical of most cars, where do you live, have you never heard a clunker
Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
I've heard many maximas, none of them have knocks or tapping, with more mileage they start to sound abused but thats typical of most cars, since owners beat the hell out of them from day one.

The only slight tick I have is the injectors and thats normal, if you want more sound insulation buy an actual Luxury car.

If your car sounds like a clunker, you might want to let it warm up, premature wear is probably what your hearing, but that is typical of most cars, where do you live, have you never heard a clunker
Don't mean to be rude, but did you even bother to read my post? Premature wear at 1,400 miles and one month old?

Warming up has no effect on the noise.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jommbi
Don't mean to be rude, but did you even bother to read my post? Premature wear at 1,400 miles and one month old?

Warming up has no effect on the noise.
look who I originally quoted, sorry for the confusion
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 AM

Looks like this could be a common issue. I found three other youtube videos of '10 owners with the Knock noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gd0vFZgAhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIKQn8zoMZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2b1hQwgk4E

Last edited by jommbi; 01-18-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would anyone who feels their car sounds "normal" be able to post a sample video like in the original post... Just to compare... This would be helpful to all (and to me... I had a little incident with my car and want to know if mine sounds "normal).
Old 01-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jommbi
Looks like this could be a common issue. I found three other youtube videos of '10 owners with the Knock noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gd0vFZgAhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIKQn8zoMZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2b1hQwgk4E
The knock sounds like a spun bearing, usually the result of a heavy footed driver immediately after start up.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
The knock sounds like a spun bearing, usually the result of a heavy footed driver immediately after start up.
While I can only speak for myself, that is not the case with my vehicle. I don't move my vehicle until the engine has warmed up. It has made this tapping noise from at least 1,400 miles, possibly from purchase date. You can't hear it easily from within the cabin unless you are idling in an enclosed area. This either falls into the range of normal engine noise for a 7th gen (as stated by dealer) or a defect

If I was easily able to locate 4 7th gen owners on youtube (including myself) who have this issue in addition to those that have PM'd me. I'm willing to bet many times that have the issue as well. Enthusiasts tend to be more discerning about their vehicles than the general public and notice these issues much more quickly.

@Mettallica

I appreciate the post, but we're trying to determine if this noise is an issue on the 7th gen. I had 5th gen '02 Maxima that I put well over 150,000 miles on that ran so quietly you had a difficult time determining if it was running.

Last edited by jommbi; 01-23-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Here is a short vid of my car, engine warm and idling, it definitely sounds a little rougher then my 06 but thats what you get with more horsepower, still smooth
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM

That definately doesn't sound normal.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by platinum300
That definately doesn't sound normal.
I've started listening to 7th gens when I see them in parking lots and although they are quiet, they definitely have a louder idle, but my normal drive is 2 miles
Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Same problem

I have the same sound with my Max. I took it to the dealer and they said it is normal operation. I really do trust my dealer due to the fact they have addressed 13 other issues with my car with no hesitation. This included several TSBs that, to be honest, I didn't have symptoms for... I just wanted repairs done before my warranty ran out.

Anyway, they say they think the noise is due to high fuel pressure (due to no fuel return line to gas tank) and possibly the fuel dampers, but they have replaced the dampers in other Maxs and no improvement.

It really sounds like it is coming from the passenger's side rear of engine. It also only happens when the engine is fully warm and is most noticable at idle. It increases with engine speed to a point, but is eventually washed out by normal engine noise. I would post a video, but I don't have enough posts, and my engine sounds EXACTLY like the OP's. Any insight (from anyone) or resolution to the OP's problem? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Anyone? I really would appreciate any insight.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Seems its louder underneath the car. could be coming from the oil pan area.... Piston issue.. I would get it in while under warranty and try to get an honest opinion from a trusted dealer.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 PM

I think I have it nailed down to the rear bank fuel damper... I think it's a common problem with VQs. It basically sounds like an old diesel but only when the engine is warm and at idle. I go to the dealer Friday to let their tech "diagnose" my problem even though they told me it was normal last week. I won't be leaving without a new damper. I'll update on the status when resolved.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
It's def time to change your oil. First oil change in a brand new car is critical and should be done no later than 1500 miles. It helps rid the engine of shaved metal from the breakin period. You can change it yourself or if you have time to take it in to the stealership I'm sure they will give you a free oil change. Either way I wouldn't put it off or the stealership will probably place they blame on you for not changing your oil. Good luck man
Oil change at 1500 miles? I haven't heard of that before. Is there some documentation on this?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 PM

could be the fuel injectors. maybe one is bad. how is your MPG?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Could be... I get about 27 average with about 20% city and 80% highway. I go to the stealership Friday and will report back.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 PM

If your under warranty I'd take it and let them fix it.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Some time ago I noticed my engine idle seemed noisy. After seeing this post I listened again. The engine idle is load but I don't hear that distinctive knock. I'm curious what you learn. In that past I've heard the serpentine belt make a knock at idle.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Taking it to get both fuel dampers replaced tomorrow at dealer's expense. I'll report back.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Well, both fuel dampers were replaced and there is no change in noise. The noise definitely is in rhythm with the fuel pulses in the fuel rails. I just find it hard to believe that a 40,000 dollar car has this noise as "normal operation." I now have a diesel engine at idle... awesome!

Last edited by Kawowski; 10-20-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: font color
Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kawowski
Well, both fuel dampers were replaced and there is no change in noise. The noise definitely is in rhythm with the fuel pulses in the fuel rails. I just find it hard to believe that a 40,000 dollar car has this noise as "normal operation." I now have a diesel engine at idle... awesome!
Thank you for reporting back. What I can't understand is why some vehicles have this sound and others don't if they are using identical fuel systems. I can almost hear the knock on STARR's video, but its very muted. Could be my imagination though. If it is normal operation, why is ours so loud.

Last edited by jommbi; 10-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 PM

I agree... I would expect alot more people complaining. In my research, I've seen that the 350z and Murano had this problem as well (fuel dampers) and was resolved with TSBs. Did Nissan just use up the old dampers from all the defective earlier model Zs and Murano's on our cars? I also find it strange that a known issue on previous Nissan's is showing up on newer Maximas. I expected to see many complaints on the 7th Gen Maxima as well, but haven't found any except this thread.

On STARR's video, I think I can hear it as well but about 1/5 as loud as ours. I'm seriously doubting if they even changed my dampers now... I know I'm might be acting paranoid, but I was sure this was the problem. I can't believe there are only two of us out here that have this problem. I'm doing an oil analysis on my next oil change just to rule out anything else going on internal. I'll post with the results, but it will be weeks for that...

Did you ever listen to a new Max on the lot for comparison? I haven't yet, but may do so in the future.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 AM

mine sounds like this too. wtf is this 2 nissan dealerships told me this is normal and all im hearing are the fuel injectors. this sounds like a diesel engine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5wUqpqBlA
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wonder if you guys have resolved the knock problem at idle. I purchased a 2010 Max and my engine sounds just like the video in the first post. My dealer said this is normal for many of these engines and that it is similar to piston slap but will not fail???? Any other diagnosis????

Quick Reply: Engine tapping at idle