7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement - Optima Red Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Battery Replacement - Optima Red Top

My OEM battery today left me stranded, no one could jump start me in this Arizona heat which is known to kill the best batteries. This is the first time I ever had an issue however my battery was dead at the dealer as my car was sitting in the showroom and they had to charge the battery when they rolled my car out.

I called Nissan Road Side Assistance and they were on-site in 15 minutes! They had a portable jumper with 700 CCA, car started right up.

When I got home I tested the battery and 2 cells were bad, water was very low. Not surprising for a non-sealed battery here in Arizona.

So I hopped in the Z and picked up a Red Top from my local Autozone Auto Parts store.

I always get Optima batteries, yes they are expensive but they are sealed and last a very very long time. The Red Top model comes with a 3 year warranty which I've never had to use, I still have a Red Top in my LS430 and I installed that in 2004 and it's still like new!

So for your info the correct model Optima Red Top for the 2009/2010 Maxima is the Part #34R (Reverse Post), you'll need to use the included height bracket but this is an exact fit to replace the OEM battery.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/index.php

Buy the best and cry only once!

Here are some pics:

Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM

I have had the optima Red in my car since day two of ownership Maxloveraz. With six computers and so many options on this car, it was a no brainer. It's costly but with fogs HIDs too that come on at the same time as factory HIDs I need all the juice. Good choice in batteries ! I already had mine before I ot the max and my posts were backwards and it took a little molding but it was worth it!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the part #. Glad to know they fit correctly.

I was just about to start doing the homework for my Maxima. I'm almost ready to start installing my new audio system and a weak power source isn't an option!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 AM

Very Nice, what was the price, Im guessing like 200
Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 AM

Less than. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $170 if I'm not mistaking
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 AM

I have the Red Top in my car and I wouldn't have it any other way, I remember when I had a similar problem which taught me one thing for sure: the OEM batteries usually are only good for about 2 years especially without regular checks to ensure that they have water and each cell is good.

Anytime after 2 years then I'd highly recommend getting rid of the OEM battery, this Optima Red Top is without a doubt one of the best money can buy.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:40 AM

WOW!! So happens yesterday my battery gave out on me as well! I got a boost and now when i go to start the car, it feels like it doesnt wanna start at all, I deff need a new battery, I will probably go with the optima red top as well
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM

just curious, why not yellow top; or is it all the same?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r
just curious, why not yellow top; or is it all the same?
Not really needed unless you meet the criteria listed below by Optima:

The YellowTop® high-performance AGM battery is one of the only true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and unparalleled cycling capability (rechargeability), it is perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. The YellowTop can repeatedly bounce back from deep power drains to full energy capacity, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time. Lower internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.
Trucks with winches, vehicles with multiple electronics, cars with high-demand audio systems, commercial vehicles and heavy equipment all rely on this battery to provide ultimate starting and deep cycle power
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Autozone is telling me I need the #35, not 34R - has anyone successfully installed the 35?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by wope
Autozone is telling me I need the #35, not 34R - has anyone successfully installed the 35?
I wouldn't trust what the guys at Autozone tell you, they are by no means knowledged in anything whatsoever.

I got a yellowtop 34R (you HAVE TO get R because our posts are reversed)
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
I wouldn't trust what the guys at Autozone tell you, they are by no means knowledged in anything whatsoever.

I got a yellowtop 34R (you HAVE TO get R because our posts are reversed)
I don't see a 34R in Yellow, only red. Any idea if you have one of these?

D34/78: http://shop.optimabatteries.com/prod...56.0.0.0?pp=8&

D34: http://shop.optimabatteries.com/prod...56.0.0.0?pp=8&
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM

I don't see a 34R in Yellow, only red. Any idea if you have one of these?

D34/78: http://shop.optimabatteries.com/prod...56.0.0.0?pp=8&

D34: http://shop.optimabatteries.com/prod...56.0.0.0?pp=8&
I got the 34/78. Came from my altima with less than a year of usage so i wasnt going to let it go to waste. I had to mod it a little to work, my advice is get one that fits perfectly. Like some have stated, 34R.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM

i have the xs power 5100r and a 925d in the trunk they work great for audio system also reason iam runny 2 batterys.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by bryansuavo
I got the 34/78. Came from my altima with less than a year of usage so i wasnt going to let it go to waste. I had to mod it a little to work, my advice is get one that fits perfectly. Like some have stated, 34R.
Just curious, what modifications did you have to do to make it work? Apparently they no longer make the 34R in yellow, only in red. Ugh. So I'd have to get the 35, which has way less CCA/CA
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 AM

also, dont order Optima batteries online there are tons of bad ones coming off the internet. the worst part is, batteries are "dangerous materials" according to some sites/stores so you CAN'T ship them back if they have issues...you're just screwed. hit up a local store like Autozone and get a brand new one
Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 AM

Just curious, what modifications did you have to do to make it work? Apparently they no longer make the 34R in yellow, only in red. Ugh. So I'd have to get the 35, which has way less CCA/CA
hmm basically.. cramp it in the post, whilehearing it crack and pop until it sits nicely there.. lmfao.. im serious..
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM

I went thru a couple optima batteries and still use them on the boat and a diesel truck. But ever since my red top went south my buddy reccomended the sears platinum and all I have to say is WOW. That thing has a 8 year warranty and can take a beating. I 1st used it on my SS which has sounds and when the MAX went dead on me I replaced it with that also. Optima only gives a 3 year warranty and they cost about the same. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 4 door GT-R
I went thru a couple optima batteries and still use them on the boat and a diesel truck. But ever since my red top went south my buddy reccomended the sears platinum and all I have to say is WOW. That thing has a 8 year warranty and can take a beating. I 1st used it on my SS which has sounds and when the MAX went dead on me I replaced it with that also. Optima only gives a 3 year warranty and they cost about the same. Just my 2 cents
I'm interested in this Die Hard Platinum battery... does it work well with sound systems, like the Optima yellow? Or is it more like the red top
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 PM

I have the Die Hard Platinum battery from sears on my Impala SS wit over 5000 watts in the trunk... i had it for 4 yrs n its still going strong.. i also have a kinetik battery in the trunk just in case.... i havent used this ride over the whole winter, i was afraid my battery was dead.. i turned on the ignition n boom, it still starts up smooth like nothing.. is optima red top better than this?? ive never used it
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
My OEM battery today left me stranded, no one could jump start me in this Arizona heat which is known to kill the best batteries. This is the first time I ever had an issue however my battery was dead at the dealer as my car was sitting in the showroom and they had to charge the battery when they rolled my car out.

I called Nissan Road Side Assistance and they were on-site in 15 minutes! They had a portable jumper with 700 CCA, car started right up.

When I got home I tested the battery and 2 cells were bad, water was very low. Not surprising for a non-sealed battery here in Arizona.

So I hopped in the Z and picked up a Red Top from my local Autozone Auto Parts store.

I always get Optima batteries, yes they are expensive but they are sealed and last a very very long time. The Red Top model comes with a 3 year warranty which I've never had to use, I still have a Red Top in my LS430 and I installed that in 2004 and it's still like new!

So for your info the correct model Optima Red Top for the 2009/2010 Maxima is the Part #34R (Reverse Post), you'll need to use the included height bracket but this is an exact fit to replace the OEM battery.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/index.php

Buy the best and cry only once!

Here are some pics:

Smart move buying the Red Top, this was one of the first mods I made in my car because those factory batteries are trash and will leave you stranded.

I haven't had any issues with my Red Top, thank God.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 PM

FYI...

Interstate also has a very good replacement battery for the MAX well under the price of the Red Top.
I think I paid around $100 or so.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm interested in this Die Hard Platinum battery... does it work well with sound systems, like the Optima yellow? Or is it more like the red top
Dude it's like the yellow top but better I think cause of the warranty. I've beaten many optimas to death with sounds and done the same to this platinum and I must say the platinum out lasted the optima. Trust me if it wasn't for my buddy telling me this I would of dropped $$$ on a optima but hey with that warranty I was sold