7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Key FOB battery

So a while back I got a warning that the my FOB's battery was low. Naturally, I took note of the warning and purchased a replacement CR2032 battery. Put it in, same warning. I exchanged the battery for another, the warning went away for about 4 days, then re-appeared. Frustrated, I decided it was time to pull out the volt meter and found extra batteries around my house. I picked the highest charged battery (2.7v) and I'm still getting the low battery warning.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or am I just extremely unlucky with my batteries?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 AM

Interesting, I wouldn't think a 10% reduction in voltage would set it off. I'll attempt to measure the voltage on my "working fob" after work today. By the way, does your spare fob have the same issue? Have you measured it's battery?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just changed my battery yesterday and the light went away with no problems.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 AM

I had a similiar issue, it took me the purchase of two batteries before i got it right. The Keyfob system is very sensitive to that voltage. I went the 2nd time to a different store, and purchased a brand name battery. I also cleaned the internal contacts with some alcohol, installed the 2nd new battery and all is working fine. You may have gotten a battery that had been on the shelf awhile and was already a bit weak. I recommend that you get a big name brand like duracell when replacing these batterties. The "old" batterys still have a lot of juice in them, I just put them in my ipod/boombox remotes.

Also you may try after battery replacement, of sticking the keyfob into the keyfob port. Perhaps this will cause the unit and the warning to reset as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll give this one last shot by buying a brand name battery. Also, my second FOB does not have this problem. It's never really been used so I guess that battery is still good.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
I had a similiar issue, it took me the purchase of two batteries before i got it right. The Keyfob system is very sensitive to that voltage. I went the 2nd time to a different store, and purchased a brand name battery. I also cleaned the internal contacts with some alcohol, installed the 2nd new battery and all is working fine. You may have gotten a battery that had been on the shelf awhile and was already a bit weak. I recommend that you get a big name brand like duracell when replacing these batterties. The "old" batterys still have a lot of juice in them, I just put them in my ipod/boombox remotes.

Also you may try after battery replacement, of sticking the keyfob into the keyfob port. Perhaps this will cause the unit and the warning to reset as well.
HTML Code:
Also you may try after battery replacement, of sticking the keyfob into the keyfob port.
My battery was acting crazy too, it wouldn't allow me to open the car with my keyfob and the indicator light on the dash wouldn't go off, so I took the fob and inserted it into the keyfob port and it went away without having to buy a new battery.

This is a great tip for anyone with keyfob problems, first try to use the keyfob port by inserting your keyfob into it.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM

yeah cause the insert key fob is not only for holding the key.its also there to charge the battery. I actually love the way the keyless feature works on the lexus. its way better.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
yeah cause the insert key fob is not only for holding the key.its also there to charge the battery. I actually love the way the keyless feature works on the lexus. its way better.

The port does NOT charge the battery.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
yeah cause the insert key fob is not only for holding the key.its also there to charge the battery.
Seeing as I'm purchasing non-rechargeable batteries, I'm not even sure how this could be suggested!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by trix_05
Seeing as I'm purchasing non-rechargeable batteries, I'm not even sure how this could be suggested!
Why bother building it if its not going to charge the battery? dont tell me they put that there just to hold the key which is suppose to be in your pocket.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM

The keyfob is a wireless device. It has a non-rechargeable battery. When the battery is dead, the wireless feature is dead. Placing the dead keyfob in the dash holder, the Max can then read the RFID tag in the fob. This allows the car to be started. The RFID is similar to the immobilizer keys and does not require a battery.

Taking this one step further; take the battery out of the fob and place it in the trunk in a secret place. The next step is to create a duplicate mechanical key and place it in a secret location on the outside of the car. If you lose your keyfob, just use the mechanical key to open up the Max, pop the trunk and recover the de-natured keyfob. Place it in the dash keyfob holder, and you can start your car.

For extra credit, you can secretly hide a battery in the Max and join it with the keyfob to have a full service keyfob. But this gets too complicated.

I have a perfect hiding location for the mechanical key. But that would be telling all my secrets.

Last edited by CT Maxima; 12-30-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima
The keyfob is a wireless device. It has a non-rechargeable battery. When the battery is dead, the wireless feature is dead. Placing the dead keyfob in the dash holder, the Max can then read the RFID tag in the fob. This allows the car to be started. The RFID is similar to the immobilizer keys and does not require a battery.

Taking this one step further; take the battery out of the fob and place it in the trunk in a secret place. The next step is to create a duplicate mechanical key and place it in a secret location on the outside of the car. If you lose your keyfob, just use the mechanical key to open up the Max, pop the trunk and recover the de-natured keyfob. Place it in the dash keyfob holder, and you can start your car.

For extra credit, you can secretly hide a battery in the Max and join it with the keyfob to have a full service keyfob. But this gets too complicated.

I have a perfect hiding location for the mechanical key. But that would be telling all my secrets.

I just saw the grades posted for the Complex Logic class, and CT Maxima earned an 'A'.

I do enjoy reading and thinking about the many different possibilities of this intelligent keyfob. I know the dealers love that keyfob port, as they simply take the fob from my hand, slide it into the port, and leave it there until they have finished servicing the car. This keeps some greasy mechanic from misplacing it behind a pile of tools.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I just saw the grades posted for the Complex Logic class, and CT Maxima earned an 'A'.

I do enjoy reading and thinking about the many different possibilities of this intelligent keyfob. I know the dealers love that keyfob port, as they simply take the fob from my hand, slide it into the port, and leave it there until they have finished servicing the car. This keeps some greasy mechanic from misplacing it behind a pile of tools.
May I ask what dealer you get your Maxima serviced at.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 AM

I finally got around to checking the voltage on my battery. Using a Sperry DM-350A I'm showing 3.03V after 15 months. I wonder if there was a bad batch of batteries of if perhaps some are inadvertently pressing buttons while in their pockets?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wife just had the low fob battery indication on the dash. Interesting because it still indicated that with both of us in the car and both of us had our fobs. Replaced the battery in hers and all is well. I do think it was a bad batch of batteries.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:27 PM

I'm having the same problem w/ mine although it lasted for about a month but every once in a while the light will come back on saying that I have a low batter but will go away after about 2 minutes and I might not see it again for a few days.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
May I ask what dealer you get your Maxima serviced at.

My dealer is Nissan South, and has two locations; one in Union City GA and one in Morrow GA. I have used no other dealer for almost fourteen years now. I live further south than those locations, but can get to them without having to get into Atlanta area traffic.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
My dealer is Nissan South, and has two locations; one in Union City GA and one in Morrow GA. I have used no other dealer for almost fourteen years now. I live further south than those locations, but can get to them without having to get into Atlanta area traffic.
I live and go to school just minutes away from Marietta Team Nissan, those 2 you mentioned are way further then I would like to travel, Thank you, I have been asking around where I should get my car serviced.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 AM

I did the same thing after I pruchased my Max in mid '09. I guess great minds think alike. Now I wonder if we have the same hiding places.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM

I use the pace maker Brand/Type or the lithium type so it lasts much longer.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM

I ordered energizers online and it all worked fine.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
dfnomad

you mention "create a duplicate mechanical key". Can that be done at any key cutting shop or is the key blank something special from Nissan?
thx

Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM

The toromax is saying that the fob battery needs to be replaced soon. How i change it? and what kind of battery? Dont want to be left stranded somewhere.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:50 PM

You won't be stranded, just use the mechanical key that's inside the fob to open a locked door. Then place the fob in the keyport to start your car (it's below the mirror adjustment/trunk opener to the left of steering wheel). This video shows you how to swap battery CR2032.

Last edited by MaxSport9; 02-09-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 AM

rechargable batterys

bought on e bay 2032 rechargeable batterys with the charger the vilts are 3.6 works perfect but time to thime the lo battery does come on i think cleaning the conections inside the remote and put the remote into the key fob when u just replace the battery is the best we can do . sometime i will talk to the dealer to see what they say i am sure this is an ongoing problem the dealer is well aware of .
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 AM

Rechargeable 2032s, I have never heard of such a thing. I would think a rechargable would be too weak. I have found that sometimes that certain battery brands are just a little too weak for my keyfob. Rayovac's for example are new out of the package with recent manufacture dates, but usually start displaying the weak battery icon within a week of install. I went to my local Radio Shack and got their brand, Energizer I think, and my keyfob has lasted for as 9 months or more. So if you get the keyfob low battery message a lot, first try a different manufacture from a different store.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaxSport9
You won't be stranded, just use the mechanical key that's inside the fob to open a locked door. Then place the fob in the keyport to start your car (it's below the mirror adjustment/trunk opener to the left of steering wheel). This video shows you how to swap battery CR2032. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rocyzHJgn8
Thank you sir! could not have asked for a better example. Dont know where i would be without the Org.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM

rechargable cr2032

Yes, rechargeables exist, but hard to justify the expense (battery + charger), considering the cost of the non -rechargeable and the length of time the non-rechargeables last. But it is easy to get an old battery from the store. I'd take the battery back to the store and complain. I replaced mine 4 days ago and the warning disappeared (2010 max). Be nice if the manufactures date coded the packs, but then no one would buy the old stock!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 AM

cleaning keyfob

take some distilled alcohol and and a qtip and clean battery connections done no more voltage problems we do this all the time with customer fobs