7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Reliability Survey result for the 2009 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 AM

Car Reliability Survey result for the 2009 Maxima

It took a little longer than I'd hoped, but we have our first reliability stat for the 2009 Maxima. Based on responses to TrueDelta's Car Reliability Survey, the 2009 has averaged 45 repair trips per 100 cars per year.

This is about average, but not far from "better than average." The sample size was very small. With a larger sample size the reported repair frequency might have been lower. Even with the current results, most of the 2009s haven't required even a single minor repair.

We'll be updating results in February and May. With more participants, we'd be able to provide a more precise result and also include the 2010.

Nissan Maxima reliability comparisons
Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mkaresh
It took a little longer than I'd hoped, but we have our first reliability stat for the 2009 Maxima. Based on responses to TrueDelta's Car Reliability Survey, the 2009 has averaged 45 repair trips per 100 cars per year.

This is about average, but not far from "better than average." The sample size was very small. With a larger sample size the reported repair frequency might have been lower. Even with the current results, most of the 2009s haven't required even a single minor repair.

We'll be updating results in February and May. With more participants, we'd be able to provide a more precise result and also include the 2010.

Of course the reason TrueDelta has a small sample size is because we have many here on Maxima.org who have not bothered to register their Maxima with them, and report repair work. There is no charge for participating, and the beneficiary of their work is the consumer.

I would encourage those here who have not done so to consider registering their car (very easy to do), and enjoy being able to look at the results for every make of car in their study.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 AM

I would be curious to find out what the most repairs were and how that was related to the driving habits/maintainance habit of the owner. I know some
drive the car hard and that might factor into it needing repairs.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Mine was in the shop for a day to repair the rocking frame of the front driver's seat. I would say that is probably a large percentage of repairs from what people on here have complained about.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 09max07gsxr
I would be curious to find out what the most repairs were and how that was related to the driving habits/maintainance habit of the owner. I know some
drive the car hard and that might factor into it needing repairs.
Unlike other such surveys, we post descriptions for all reported repairs. Those for the Maxima are here:

Nissan Maxima repair histories

Nothing much yet for the 2009--owners have only reported a couple of repairs, to the evap canister and struts.

In general, how a car is driven and maintained has little impact on repairs in the first few years. Down the road is a different story.

I hope to have a full result for the 2009 next month. It's going to be tight, though. A few additional participants would be very helpful.

Also need more 2010s, to provide a stat for the second model year.

Details here:

Car reliability research
Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think that over all the maxima is a very reliable car. One reason I think the numbers were high is because a lot of people that buy these cars are very particular. They pay a lot of attention to there car and spot problems long before other car owners would.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by thadj
I think that over all the maxima is a very reliable car. One reason I think the numbers were high is because a lot of people that buy these cars are very particular. They pay a lot of attention to there car and spot problems long before other car owners would.
But the number was NOT high. As stated, it was about average and not far from "better than average." It was about half what I'd personally think of as "high." The great majority of owners participating have reported no repairs.

We'll have a revised number next month. Currently we have 24 responses. If we get a 25th (likely) then this one will be a full, official result rather than the partial result we had last time.

The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

Car reliability research
Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i took my 2010 maxima into the dealer for the front seat rocking and they told me that it was normal operation. the service manager told me to drive another car and it would have the same feel. i think he`s full of ****!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Did you call his bluff, and drive a second car?

I cannot speak for the Maxima in particular, but this problem is not a rare one in many different cars. And fixes for it are usually successful, based on responses to TrueDelta's Car Reliability Survey.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by hardcashsab31
i took my 2010 maxima into the dealer for the front seat rocking and they told me that it was normal operation. the service manager told me to drive another car and it would have the same feel. i think he`s full of ****!
Just go back in with a copy of the TSB and they will have no choice but to fix it. I had mine done last Friday, the dealer knew of the problem and fixed it without any hassle. The TSB number was on the work ticket.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM

We'll have our first full result for the 2009 Maxima later this month. Got just enough responses--thanks, guys.

With more participants would could provide a more accurate stat for the 2009 and also include the 2010.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM

I just registered my '10 to hopefully add some useful information.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TigerGenetics
I just registered my '10 to hopefully add some useful information.

Way to go! The more folks that participate in TrueDelta's survey, the more meaningful and useful it becomes.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:00 AM

Just signed up my 2010.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jc53
Just signed up my 2010.
This is good. After 18 months of wishing we had enough info for a meaningful reliability report on the 7th gen Maxima, we will now have exactly that. Happy days!

Any other takers? It isn't painful. No needles involved. The more members who participate, the more meaningful the data.

Who benefits from TrueDelta's surveys? Us Maxima owners. Simple as that.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
This is good. After 18 months of wishing we had enough info for a meaningful reliability report on the 7th gen Maxima, we will now have exactly that. Happy days!

Any other takers? It isn't painful. No needles involved. The more members who participate, the more meaningful the data.

Who benefits from TrueDelta's surveys? Us Maxima owners. Simple as that.
So do I need to wait for the surveys to be emailed to me or can I start inputting data like gas mileage right away? This is the first time I have ever participated in anything like that and not 100% sure exactly how this works.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM

For the main reliability survey you'll receive an email with a link. New cars are activated for this survey near the beginning of each month.

For any of the others, which are optional, you can participate in them right away on the site.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

We'll have our first full result for the 2009 Maxima later this month. Got just enough responses--thanks, guys.

With more participants would could provide a more accurate stat for the 2009 and also include the 2010.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
Got my '10 signed up. Thankfully, no repairs or issues to disclose for now. May it only continue.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 AM

We have updated results for the 2009 Maxima to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. With 32 repair trips per 100 cars per year, it's better than average so far.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover the 2010 as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Anyone here who has not participated in TrueDelta's efforts to present a legitimate, up-to-date evaluation of the reliability and weak points of our 7th generaltion Maxima should consider taking a moment and adding their car to the data base. The more folks that take part, the more valid the resulting information.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Especially need more 2010s.

Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May.

Car reliability research
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM

We have updated results for the 2009 Maxima to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. With 30 repair trips per 100 cars per year, remains better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover the 2010 as well. We were only two responses short with the 2010 this time around.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 AM

We'll have an updated stat for the 2009 and an initial result for the 2010 in about two weeks.

There are currently 44 2009s and 28 2010s signed up. More participants would be helpful for both, and especially the latter.

To help provide better information on your year:

Car reliability research
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Registered my 2010 S.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by hardcashsab31
Are you refering to the passanger seat vibrating while driving (no passenger) ??? I've noticed that on my '10 and just assumed that its normal.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 AM

We have updated results for the Maxima to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 14, small sample size

2009: 19

Both are better than average.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM

We have updated results for the Maxima to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2010: 34, a single response short of the minimum for a full result

2009: 18

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Nissan Maxima reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool 2010 Problems

I have some sort of resonance between 20-40 mile range in the city driving. Also, the passenger side airbag off warning light stays on even there is passenger in the seat. Nissan and the dealer do not see as a problem. They told me the passenger has to seat exactly in center where the sensor is located. They told me the passenger cannot move or lean out sideways or front and back. That's a load of bull manure. Finally looks enough peopel have complained and they have a fix but I am in the waiting queue.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 AM

We have updated results for the Maxima to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2010: 34

2009: 13

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM

We have updated results for the Maxima to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2010: 34

2009: 13

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

So the 2009 is a better made car than the 2010? Hell yeah! Hopefully it doesn't just mean 2009 owners are lazier about reporting their problems.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM

The difference between the 2009 and 2010 is large in percentage terms, but not in absolute terms. So much or all of this difference could be due to random error.

Other than this, it's possible that after some initial problems following delivery, there are few others for at least a year. The 2009 had a stat similar to the 2010s a year ago.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 AM

We have updated our car reliability stats for the Maxima to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2010: 37, better than average

2009: 19, better than average

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 AM

We have updated results for the Maxima (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2010: 31, better than average

2009: 29, better than average

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:28 PM

We have updated our reliability stats for the Maxima to include owner experiences through December 31, 2011.

2011: 36, better than average, very small sample size

2010: 40, better than average

2009: 44, better than average

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM

We have updated our reliability stats for the Maxima to include owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

2011: 16, better than average, small sample size

2010: 49, about average

2009: 56, about average

We'll have further updates in November and February. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 AM

Just registered my 2012
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

We have updated our reliability stats for the seventh-generation Maxima to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2011: 16, better than average, small sample size

2010: 40, about average

2009: 41, about average

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved!

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 AM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Maxima to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

2011 Maxima: 22, low, small sample size
2010 Maxima: 56, moderate
2009 Maxima: 52, moderate

We'll have further updates in August and in November. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 AM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Maxima to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013. (Another source is about 14 months behind.)

2011 Maxima: 23, low, small sample size
2010 Maxima: 48, moderate
2009 Maxima: 56, moderate

We'll have further updates in November and February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 PM

How is this measured exactly? If it's the number of repairs trips to the dealer then there's a subjective part in it.
For example, I brought my 2012 Maxima to the dealer not too long ago because why steering wheel was creaking when I turned the wheel. However, the sound was so quiet that most people probably won't notice it. My parents both got in the car and turned the wheel without hearing anything, and yet I hear it at every turn I made. So I'm just saying that trip to the dealer for minor flaws can really depend on the person. However, if it is based upon a certain subset of problems, then I guess that would make it more fair.

Quick Reply: Car Reliability Survey result for the 2009 Maxima