7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

$62.50 to reset the TPMS...Are you kidding me!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 AM

$62.50 to reset the TPMS...Are you kidding me!?!?

Called the service dept (Ramsey Nissan in NJ)...They want $62.50 to reset this POS TPMS system.

I laughed and hung up. Unbelievable. I know my tire pressures are ok and I have had the car in (about a year ago) because the light wouldn't go off and there was no fee.

WTF?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

every dealership will charge an hour of labor to do stuff like that.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by angrye
Called the service dept (Ramsey Nissan in NJ)...They want $62.50 to reset this POS TPMS system.

I laughed and hung up. Unbelievable. I know my tire pressures are ok and I have had the car in (about a year ago) because the light wouldn't go off and there was no fee.

WTF?
If the pressure is ok and the TPMS light is on then you have a warranty issue and shouldn't have to pay anything.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM

I would think this would still be covered under warranty (as long as you hadn't replaced the wheels.) With Tire Pressure fine, and not going off after a few minutes of driving, it does indeed sound like something is "broke" to me. I (personally) would go down for a face to face and explain the issue....it may be they think you did some "modding" and not a "problem."
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Thank God for an Extended Warranty in problems from now until 6 years 100K miles i'm covered
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM

Actually $62.50 is pretty cheap. I have heard upwards of $120, or basically the cost of the unit to reset the TPMS.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 AM

I've had 2 Titans, a 350Z, Pathfinder, and now my Maxima. Every fall when the temperature starts to drop, the cold air (less volume) in the tires causes the TPMS signal to go off. I would just put in some air, and drive it around for a few minutes, and it would reset. If you have done all of this, you have a warranty issue, it's not normal
Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 PM

The dealer has never charged me, they have reset it twice. I just tell them there is a problem with the TPS light and they take care of it.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:08 AM

yea man dont pay them it should be covered under warranty if somethings wrong
Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

I will add that if you have an accurate gauge it helps. On our Frontier w/TPMS, the first time the light came on in cold weather, I put a few squirts of air in and checked with the easiest gauge I could find, as opposed to my old trusty gauge.

When the light would not go out, I took it to the dealer. When I picked it up later and asked what the problem was, he said your tires were low - DOH!

Went home and threw that gauge away.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Does anyone know if they (Dealer) have to take the tire off to reset the TPMS?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Cmon are you guys serious i got aftermarket wheels and had them install and that tpms light came on they just add MORE AIR to the wheels....lol wtf think GOD for the NISSAN CARE PROGRAM FREE OIL CHANGES TIRE ROTATION.....ETC
Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by bmanbmv
Does anyone know if they (Dealer) have to take the tire off to reset the TPMS?
TRY ADDING MORE AIR TO EACH TIRE BRO GL....^^^^
Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why can I post a reply but not start a new thread?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by briny319
Why can I post a reply but not start a new thread?
cuz your question has probably already been answered.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM
STFU n00b!

http://forums.maxima.org/feedback-su...rt-thread.html
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nismo4life07
I'm sure one of them has, but I can't find the answer.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nismo4life07
But I doubt many people have already compared the maxima to an acura rl, which is my second question
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

great thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM

My car is barely 1 week old and the TPMS monitor light is on. Off to the dealership on saturday.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by rreeddblack10
My car is barely 1 week old and the TPMS monitor light is on. Off to the dealership on saturday.

First, you need to be POSITIVE your gauge is accurate. THEN, you should fill your tires to 35 or 36 psi (leaves NO DOUBT about having enough air). THEN you should drive at least fifteen minutes.

If your TPMS light is still on, there is absolutely no question you have a warranty fix coming. If, however, it goes off, you can try lowering your psi to 33 and see if the light stays off. Or, you may leave the psi at 35/36 (I carry 36 psi in my tires).

I suggest these steps only because going to the dealer may waste an hour or more of your time, when you may be able to quickly resolve this on your own.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
First, you need to be POSITIVE your gauge is accurate. THEN, you should fill your tires to 35 or 36 psi (leaves NO DOUBT about having enough air). THEN you should drive at least fifteen minutes.

If your TPMS light is still on, there is absolutely no question you have a warranty fix coming. If, however, it goes off, you can try lowering your psi to 33 and see if the light stays off. Or, you may leave the psi at 35/36 (I carry 36 psi in my tires).

I suggest these steps only because going to the dealer may waste an hour or more of your time, when you may be able to quickly resolve this on your own.
Thanks Light, I will do that today and comeback with a feed back.
Did I mention this was a great forum by the way?
I appreciate the site and the mature level of discussions that go on here, even when folks disagree.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by rreeddblack10
I appreciate the site and the mature level of discussions that go on here, even when folks disagree.
watch and wait.. you'll find the hilariousness of that statement shortly!
Welcome to the forum nonetheless.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Love my '09

Matt, tsk tsk, you have to admit the 7th gen area is really tame compared to say the 2nd and 3rd gen areas. I rarely need to moderate or delete anything!

The economy and price point of the NEW cars right now keeps the numbers low and I'm sure some feel we're all more like a big extended family here.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 AM
STFU n00b!

Actually I wouldn't know. I think this is the first time I've stepped into this forum. I don't often stray from the 3 gen, track, or suspension forums unless I see something on the main page that catches my eye. (and the TPMS on my G35 was acting funny the other day)..

But umm yeah. I would hope that the 7th gen forum is full of more adults than the 2-3-4-5 gen forums which are mostly populated with high school/college kids ricing out their first cars.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 AM

LOL @ Matt,
I have lurked on this forum for at least one year. And I wouldn't have made the same comment in the 'Other Cars' section. I have read arguments from Per/Lightonthehill and Boone. And a few others. And they have all put there points across respectfully and at some point I have seen where there has been a public acknowledgment of having been wrong at a point. maybe its just me, but i think this counts for a lot on a public forum.

But thans for the welcome nonetheless.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Thank God that I have a Bullydog, I can reset any trouble light/warning at anytime but of course I paid $400 for it but then again it came with many other benefits for saving fuel, Top End Remover, the ability to advance the timing, and increase my RPMs to 7100.

Sorry to hear about your troubles bro, if I was close I would've reset it for you for free.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM

No thanks to the wonderful state of NY roads. I picked up a nail, on my front tire. Apparently the cause for the tpms light that came on
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks Light...I'll give that a try. I filled my tires up to 33psi and thought the light would go off, without any luck.

I just know they're gonna charge me cause I got my rims refinished gunmetal and they'll say that's what caused the problem (even though I have one previous visit to the dealer to get the TPMS reset).

Here's a Rad Silver with gunmetaled rims...

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM

P.S. Thanks MaxDOuT for the wheels color code (K51)...I went with that for my wheels. I love 'em. I'll see about better pics (not from a phone).

Here's another, but it's not that great a pic...

Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Worst thing to pass into law was this stupid TPMS.

The amount of times it comes on in my car, my dad's and my mom's car is annoying. Worst feature on a car ever
Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
Worst thing to pass into law was this stupid TPMS.

The amount of times it comes on in my car, my dad's and my mom's car is annoying. Worst feature on a car ever

These TPMS systems were already on many cars before the government passed their legislation, and would have eventually been on all cars, even without the legislation. I think the problem is that we have a very basic TPMS system that is sometimes giving a false alert. But I suspect that most TPMS alerts are valid. Most alerts posted here have turned out to have resulted from a low psi, whatever may have caused that low psi.

The only time my light came on, the dealer's service techs had (without my knowledge) lowered my psi from 36 (what I usually carry) to 33 (specs) on a very hot day, while the tires were hot. Then a few weeks later, I got in the car on an unseasonably cool morning, and the light came on. I measured, and found the psi of all four tires was 29. I was very glad for the warning. I immediately took the psi back to 36.

But I am skirting the REAL problem. The ONLY TPMS SYSTEM I WOULD REALLY BE HAPPY WITH would be one that displays the EXACT PSI of EACH of the four tires AND the spare. When the warning light came on, I could immediately see which tire was involved, and whether it was marginally low, very low, or flat. I would also be able to tell if the psi was stable, or dropping. All that info would enable me to take the correct action for the situation. Now THAT would be a system I would gladly pay extra for.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Turbo'd Saab

My dad has the one that reads tire pressure of each tire. His melt and fused to the rims and he had to replace 2 rims and all 4 TPS's.

I understand the safety feature of it, but they haven't been perfected yet
Old 10-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
My dad has the one that reads tire pressure of each tire. His melt and fused to the rims and he had to replace 2 rims and all 4 TPS's.

I understand the safety feature of it, but they haven't been perfected yet

I certainly agree with that.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the ECU RESET procedure reset the tire light as well, to at least make sure its not just stuck on stupid??? I can give you that procedure if it will work, its simple.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 PM

I just reset mine using the 150.00 Ateq quick reset tool. PC installation was a little buggy, but other than that , it worked like a charm. If this light bugs the crap out of you like it did me. Get One--It Works.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Had same problem recently when I got new tires and rims. Called 3 Nissan dealerships and they said I needed to pay 62.50! 4th dealership I called, I told them my tpms light is on and I don't know why. Said they would check if a sensor is bad and if everything is fine, they will just reset it for free. I drove there, they did just that and reset it for me for free. Go MOSSY NISSAN!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm on a trip and left my manual at home! So the light for the TPMS is the one that's yellow around 2K on the tach, I assume. Picture of an exclamation point surrounded by two round globes with slightly zig zag line on the bottom. TPMS warning light, is that correct?

If so, I'll just check the pressure but I'm in a colder climate from usual so from the posts it sounds like the pressure may have dropped a few pounds, hence the warning light.

Does this sound correct?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by bongo43
I'm on a trip and left my manual at home! So the light for the TPMS is the one that's yellow around 2K on the tach, I assume. Picture of an exclamation point surrounded by two round globes with slightly zig zag line on the bottom. TPMS warning light, is that correct?

If so, I'll just check the pressure but I'm in a colder climate from usual so from the posts it sounds like the pressure may have dropped a few pounds, hence the warning light.

Does this sound correct?
Not sure if that is correct. Also you can access the owners manual on Nissanusa.com, go to "For Owners" at the top of the page and follow the links.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bongo43

Does this sound correct?

Yes. The shape of the light represents the cross-section of a tire (zig-xag bottom is the tread, bloated parentheses represent the sidewalls). Just pump the tires up a bit (I usually carry 36 psi, but some folks carry the wimpy 33 the manual suggests), then drive for awhile, and the warning light will finally go off.

Quick Reply: $62.50 to reset the TPMS...Are you kidding me!?!?