7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

In-Cabin Microfilter Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:42 AM

In-Cabin Microfilter Location

Ok where is it.? I even looked in the service manual, and I still don't see where it is hiding.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 AM

I think is in back of the glove compartment!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mr305
I think is in back of the glove compartment!

The cabin filter was definitely in back of the glove compartment on the 6th gen, but this 7th gen glove box seems to extend halfway to the front bumper, so the filter must be either above, below or beside it.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 AM

I saw in the service department of my stealership, they wanted $70 to replace it. I checked at Advance Auto Yesterday and the filter was like $25. Which do you think I will be doing.

Again if anybody replaces theirs, give us some pics, we want to see it.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
Ok where is it.? I even looked in the service manual, and I still don't see where it is hiding.
Yeah I did the same no help at all...

< ON-VEHICLE MAINTENANCE >
CHASSIS AND BODY MAINTENANCE
CHASSIS AND BODY MAINTENANCE
IN-CABIN MICROFILTER
IN-CABIN MICROFILTER : Removal and Installation INFOID:0000000004304938
REMOVAL
1. Disengage the filter cover tab (1) by pushing up and pull out to
remove the filter cover.
2. Remove the in-cabin microfilter from the blower unit by using the
pull tab on the bottom of the filter.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i've yet to replace an incabin filter on an 09 max but if they're similiar to the altima they are located behind the center console. you can find a little door near the firewall on the passenger side. there should be a tab to push to pop the vertical door open. if someone could verify this, that would be great.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by mynameispee
i've yet to replace an incabin filter on an 09 max but if they're similiar to the altima they are located behind the center console. you can find a little door near the firewall on the passenger side. there should be a tab to push to pop the vertical door open. if someone could verify this, that would be great.

I would like to try too, but I still have a Subura Forestor as a Loaner Car. Had it for 3 days now. :^(
Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 AM

I found this in the glove box yesterday. Looks like the glovebox on the 2009s has about 5 or screws to be removed to get to it.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Seems as if someone didn't bother to check the context of the warning message before these stickers were printed and affixed to the car. Maybe the second 'NORTH AMERICA' should have read 'CANADA' or 'DUSTY CONDITIONS?'
Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM

When does that peculiar A/C smell go away?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM

I guess when you change the filter and stop using AC for an extended time.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM

I guess when you change the filter and stop using AC for an extended time.
It should be a brand new filter theoretically being that the car is brand new.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM

Maybe the smell is from the release chemicals venting; used to mold the plastic duct work.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM

So it will go away then?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Not sure, I have only had mine 3 weeks tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM

I don't recall any particular smell when using the AC. I have used the AC regularly for the last two months.
Maybe the heater leached all the chemicals out of the ductwork before I ever used the AC?
There definitely was a 'new car smell' for a few months when I first bought the car, but I was using the heater then, and didn't associate the smell with the HVAC system.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mynameispee
I just replaced mine. The above is correct (I tried to take a picture but it was too dark) If you were sitting in the passenger seat with your feet spread outward like a waddling duck, your left pinky toe should be pointing at the little cover tab. Just reach over, pop the tab, pull the old filter out and replace it (note here, that you have to "crunch" the filter down a bit to get it back inside but it looks like it expands right back up.)

The hardest part for me was finding a replacement filter! Napa, Autozone, Chief and the like had the wrong part numbers in their system (I don't know what it was for but it was about half the size and twice as thick! It kept referencing a CF3550 which is definitely incorrect) I ended up making the drive down to the dealer's parts dept and picked it up for a quite resonable $13.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the info LtLeary. With that I was able to find mine and take some pics for all to enjoy.
I was looking to remove the glove box, glad to see it where it is. But it is difficult to get too, since it is in a tight space.
I did not pull my filter out until I am ready to replace it next year. I checked at my local Advance Auto store a week ago, for the price.
Good to know that the genuine Nissan filter is not to high in price.

Click on the pic thumbnails to see full size images.

1. Start on the Passenger Side Left footwell. (Notice on the floor I already have the filter door removed.)

2. We are concentrating on the left upper corner, all the way to the back.

3. Here along the firewall, you can see the latch.

4. Once the filter door is removed you can see the filter in it's slot.

5. A better View of the filter and the loop that you use to remove it.

Last edited by 09Maxima_Sam; 05-30-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Just a clarifying note...the OEM replacement filter from Nissan does NOT have the "pull tab" in noted in picture 5 (although the original did!)

Great Pics! Much better than mine!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:31 PM

How hard was it to get the filter out. It felt like it was in there pretty good, thats why I did not bother to try harder and take mine out at this time?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Wasn't bad...using the tab on the old filter to get the bottom out, just grab and "compress" like you would an old style hand fan... If you try to use the tab exclusively, you will tear it off.

As noted in your pics, you don't have a lot of room and the "lip" on the filter housing makes putting in back in a bit of a "challenge" but the whole job didn't take more than 5 mins (of course all my puttering around town looking for the right filter gave me a 3 hours excuse to drive my Maxi around town!!!)

Mine was pretty dirty so am glad I changed it when I did.

Putting the "door" back on was the most tricky part for me (ya gotta hold your tongue just right!)
Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
....Putting the "door" back on was the most tricky part for me (ya gotta hold your tongue just right!)
Yes I had those issues as well. I want to thank you on behalf of everyone for posting up your experiences and insight on this.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Remote Starter

Looking for an installation guide for a 09 w/pts
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info LtLeary. With that I was able to find mine and take some pics for all to enjoy.
I was looking to remove the glove box, glad to see it where it is. But it is difficult to get too, since it is in a tight space.
I did not pull my filter out until I am ready to replace it next year. I checked at my local Advance Auto store a week ago, for the price.
Good to know that the genuine Nissan filter is not to high in price.

Click on the pic thumbnails to see full size images.

1. Start on the Passenger Side Left footwell. (Notice on the floor I already have the filter door removed.)

2. We are concentrating on the left upper corner, all the way to the back.

3. Here along the firewall, you can see the latch.

4. Once the filter door is removed you can see the filter in it's slot.

5. A better View of the filter and the loop that you use to remove it.

I changed my filter out yesterday. Though it wasn't too dirty (as they made my wife believe, I bet they didn't even inspect it) I went ahead and change it since I pulled it out. My factory installed filter did not have the pull tab as mentioned above. If you run into this as well, dont give up. Refer to picture 5 above.

What I did, was take my index finger and and press inward at the bottom of the filter, just below the said pull-tab. This makes it "curl" up inside the housing, forcing it to collapse like the fan mentioned earlier. You will have to work it out as you curl it up. Now, to get the new filter in (since the housing door is HALF the size of the filter, collapse the side of the filter that will go in first (non-printed side) on both ends to get it to pass through the opening. You will want to make it "curl" TOWARD you. Push inward and repeat process you just did on opposite end of filter(printed side). Only this time, making it "curl" AWAY from you. It will then expand inside the housing.

This really only takes about 5-7 minutes, something NOT WORTH the $85 the dealer wants to charge. The OEM filter AT Nissan is only $13 (in Texas). I really dont suspect the price would fluctuate outside of Texas, but who knows.

It was nice to know I just saved myself $85.

I can't believe the nerve of dealers to charge this rate, for what it is.

Let me know how it worked for you.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Maxx Factor
I changed my filter out yesterday. Though it wasn't too dirty (as they made my wife believe, I bet they didn't even inspect it) I went ahead and change it since I pulled it out. My factory installed filter did not have the pull tab as mentioned above. If you run into this as well, dont give up. Refer to picture 5 above.

What I did, was take my index finger and and press inward at the bottom of the filter, just below the said pull-tab. This makes it "curl" up inside the housing, forcing it to collapse like the fan mentioned earlier. You will have to work it out as you curl it up. Now, to get the new filter in (since the housing door is HALF the size of the filter, collapse the side of the filter that will go in first (non-printed side) on both ends to get it to pass through the opening. You will want to make it "curl" TOWARD you. Push inward and repeat process you just did on opposite end of filter(printed side). Only this time, making it "curl" AWAY from you. It will then expand inside the housing.

This really only takes about 5-7 minutes, something NOT WORTH the $85 the dealer wants to charge. The OEM filter AT Nissan is only $13 (in Texas). I really dont suspect the price would fluctuate outside of Texas, but who knows.

It was nice to know I just saved myself $85.

I can't believe the nerve of dealers to charge this rate, for what it is.

Let me know how it worked for you.
Great tips! I used this method to change mine and it didn't take very long at all. The hardest part was getting my phat **** positioned in a way so that I could access the filter.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 PM

It is a shame that they want to charge $85 to change the filter when they already have it out. $0 to remove and install a dirty filter but $85 to substitute a clean one for the dirty one.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM

would there be a significant different with filters bought at Nissan vs. autozone, napa, etc.?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm on my third one and haven't noticed any difference yet. Of course, the last was a special order for a "odor" filter as well but I can't tell that it makes much difference as I usually don't use the re-circulation feature.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
would there be a significant different with filters bought at Nissan vs. autozone, napa, etc.?
"Significant" - Nope. I've never bought an OEM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM

what about washable/re-usable filters, such as the K&N one.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Should work and would save money in the long one. BUT other members said you have to scrunch the filter a bit to get it in and the K&N may not be scrunchable.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:04 AM

Didn't know K&N even made a cabin air filter for the Max but a washable for the cabin? Granted it has some "green" appeal but ALL washables I've ever seen are inherently less effective than their paper or composite counterparts. They will all keep out the "leaves" but I prefer something a bit more effective.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey sorry for replying to an old thread, but when you take off the in cabin air filter tab door how do you get the tab back in? I tried pushing in the top first then the bottom should snap into place but it just isn't working for me. Any tips?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the write up!!

Just replaced mine tonight.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:04 AM

Cool cabin filter

i have been buying my cabin filters on e bay very very cheap. i also have been trying to locate or fabucate a charcole filter. what i have found is they dont make a backing soda or charcole filter for our car but a few posabilitys i have looked into but havent tried was home depo charcol filter for house u could cut them and get about 3. also a dodge vouger has a charcole filter at walmart that is 1 1/2 short of our size that filles the cabin slot. last i have been thinking of getting a roll of charcole on e bay and super glue it to our direct fit cabin filter. why all the trouble i smoke and would like to do something for the smoking smell. we could all e mail fram with u dont make a corect size cabin filter for our car the part # is wrong and we would like a charcole filter. spraying a air freshner on the filter wont last or putting a air freshner stapled to the cabin filter wont last very long. hope this helps sorry the spelling imm a one finger typer and a ****ty speller but a very knolageabe guy on cars and motorclcles.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM

whats the filter part number on ebay.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Please list the make and model number of those non-OEM filters that you guys are using! I was unsuccessful in purchasing the correct size on two occassions. I ordered a wix filter online and purchased a FRAM from Amazon and both were the incorrect size compared to the OEM. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM

I replaced in-cabin filter this weekend. Should have found this thread first.
Instead, I learned from my own mistakes.
First I have to say that out of all the cars I worked on, this filter is the most challenging to replace.
As mentioned in the thread, the door opening is about 5/8 of the filter size, therefore you need to
scrunch the filter before stuffing it into the opening. The space situation is also very tight. Finally,
to get the cover back on was almost as much pain as to stuff the filter in.
Take your time and you should do alright.

I ripped the little strap that was attached to original filter, so ended up pulling the old filter with the
help of needle nose pliers. The replacement filter did not have a strap.
I bought replacement filter at a local dealer for $13.5 including 6% tax. So not too bad on pricing.
The regular under the hood air filter costs $23+ at the dealer, so I go with aftermarket Purolator.

I wonder if the lack of aftermarket alternatives is due to patent protection on the original design.
The two sides of the filter have flexible yet hard plastic strips.
I sure hope it works well, since my first thought after stuffing the new filter in was, what if it does
not expand properly?! I prefer Honda/Toyota behind the glove box design, where you put the filter
into the tray.

Max
Old 03-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
I replaced in-cabin filter this weekend. Should have found this thread first.
Instead, I learned from my own mistakes.
Max
Haven't you learned by now, never, never do anything without checking with us first.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Yeah the filter is pretty deep back there but after changing it once I could do it again much faster. The first time it took me a while to realize how far up in the footwell the filter would be and that I'd basically be feeling with just my hands until I had the strap. It was extremely confusing that the opening was smaller than the filter so I was pulling it from various angles until I finally just mashed the filter and pulled it out.

Installing the replacement was fairly easy, got it off Ebay and just pinched the side wall, pushed it in, and let it go and it filled up the area nicely. Even changed out my glove box light to an LED while I was in there.

Quick Reply: In-Cabin Microfilter Location