7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Maxima Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 PM

or you could go all aftermarket like boston acoustic with a single/double din (not sure what fits the 09s) for less than the price of the package...and you could watch dvds without being stopped, although i advise against it haha....Bose is very very nice, if youve never been exposed to really nice aftermarket systems.....not hating on bose, it is my favorite oem premium sound....but nothing competes with aftermarket audio (except maybe the 16 speaker lexicon system in the RR Phantom)
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 PM

The Bose is all you need in a car. Its plenty clean and powerful enough. Well made. Ofcourse if you go and spend thousands on components it can get better...but for the price of the upgrade the Bose is GREAT. Bose systems always sound good, car, home, whatever. They get a lot of heat for being expensive, but they are generally solid in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM

I was reading CNet's review of the 09 Max and stumbled upon the tech package for the 09 Cadillac CTS-V.It also has a Bose but with way better features than the 09 Max.The one feature that caught my eye is the buffer feature of the Bose.You can pause,rewind,ff live FM/AM/XM/ radio and it has a 60 minute buffer that buffers all the time.Now that is cool! That is on my wish list for my next Maxima.Are you listening Nissan? Oh and by the way the Bose in the Caddy lets you tweak your midrange and other audio settings and has a USB expansion slot so you bring along some extra MP3's that you don't feel like ripping to the Music Box.

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2009-c...tag=mncol;also

Last edited by DConrad2007; 04-12-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Well, it better have better technology than our Maxima. It's a $45K car. LOL.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM

All I need to use is my IPOD with all of my music and I am good to go! Of course the JL Audio 12W7 does help with the low end :-)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
Well, it better have better technology than our Maxima. It's a $45K car. LOL.
Try closer to $60,000 my friend... Although still not bad for a car having a 550HP blown LS9 under the hood with a warranty and luxury to boot. STOCK!

Last edited by Alpha; 04-17-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:14 PM

to be honest i also am very happy with my bose system......its just perfect if u wanna blast some music without having to buy and replace the stock speakers......id deff purchase it again!!! boom boom boom lol
Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM

I love the bose system because I have the 02 maxima and it is clear to this day as when I first got it. Sure there are better speakers than the bose, but it is worth going out and spending few grand to replace something that does excellent job to start with? My friend had to replace his speakers on his 02 bmmer due to loss of clarity over time and he had to replace this 6 disc changer because it stopped working.

Manoj
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Is there a way to scroll through the sat stations with using the tune ****?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:31 PM

If you have the NAV option, you can scroll through the SAT radio stations with the center ring around the arrow/enter buttons.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Any way without NAV?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

NISSAN MAXIMA BOSE AUDIO SYSTEM

The Bose system is an 8 speaker system with 2 subwoofers with the option of the 9 speaker system. Either way both systems are pumpin out 320 watts. Thats what bose told me. It has one amplifier located under the rear deck and the tweeters ARE NOT made by bose, but by clarion as well as the CD player/CD changer.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:55 AM

I think the Bose system could use some more bottom end. Some songs sound great but others sound lacking. Anyone know if it would be worth it to replace the 6x9 woofers on the rear deck and add another amp to them? I would rather not get a big woofer that takes up half the trunk. Been there, done that. I'm very impressed with the whole sound system/music box tho. A+ in my book.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:52 PM

The only system in the car that is Bose are the Sub woofers. everything else is clarion
Old 07-03-2009, 01:23 PM

To me, the "bose" system is what it is. I have never been blown away by a stock sound system before. I used to be into nit picking sound systems, having 3-4 $1000 amps, 5 different companies worth of speakers. Lately, I just let it be and accept it for what it is. Am I impressed with this system? No. Do I hate it? No. Did I spend $4K on this system? No. Should I expect it to sound like I did? No.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 PM

The Maxima has the best sounding OEM system I have heard - except for the Studio Surround Surround system in the Infiniti. For what it's worth, I was less impressed with the Mark Levinson system in a friend's Lexus then I expected to be.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Sounds great to me but I am no audiophile.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 PM

I would start this in a new thread, but apparenly don't have 15 posts...Has anyone put a new radio in their Maxima yet? I have the bone stock stereo and due to the screen (with climate controls) and the standard portion of the radio cannot think of a good way to replace this...also I wonder if the intelligent key is built into the radio somehow?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:19 PM

The tech packages removes the 6CD player because of the Hard Drive music system is installed.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 AM

BOSE

OK.. First off, I have to say, despite NOT having the tech package, for a stock system, this one does sound relatively good, and definately one of the best I have ever heard for stock.

But One thing needs to be made clear (and I think several others on this forum have already stated it) But I will reitterate it anyway.

BOSE does not make car audio. At All. Never Has, Never Will. All Nissan Vehicles, have systems made by Clarion, one of the oldest car audio manufacturers in the world. (This includes Speakers, Head Units, Amps, Subs, Etc.)

Nissan Simply licences the BOSE Brand (as does GM, who's Bose system is made by DELCO, and several other auto companies with "BOSE" systems)

In fact, if those of you who have the BOSE system notice, NOWHERE in your 09 Max does the word BOSE even show up. It used to badged all over the place (Head Unit, Speaker Grills, etc.) That is No Longer the case.

So don't get hung up on the fact that you have a "BOSE" - because in reality, you don't - you just have a great sounding factory system, with what, in my opinion, is an overrated brand name :-)

That said, it does still sound *****in for a stock system, but still wish I opted for the tech pkg!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by LVleo78
OK.. First off, I have to say, despite NOT having the tech package, for a stock system, this one does sound relatively good, and definately one of the best I have ever heard for stock.

But One thing needs to be made clear (and I think several others on this forum have already stated it) But I will reitterate it anyway.

BOSE does not make car audio. At All. Never Has, Never Will. All Nissan Vehicles, have systems made by Clarion, one of the oldest car audio manufacturers in the world. (This includes Speakers, Head Units, Amps, Subs, Etc.)

Nissan Simply licences the BOSE Brand (as does GM, who's Bose system is made by DELCO, and several other auto companies with "BOSE" systems)

In fact, if those of you who have the BOSE system notice, NOWHERE in your 09 Max does the word BOSE even show up. It used to badged all over the place (Head Unit, Speaker Grills, etc.) That is No Longer the case.

So don't get hung up on the fact that you have a "BOSE" - because in reality, you don't - you just have a great sounding factory system, with what, in my opinion, is an overrated brand name :-)

That said, it does still sound *****in for a stock system, but still wish I opted for the tech pkg!
The two rear speaker covers on the rear deck say "BOSE" right on them.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
The two rear speaker covers on the rear deck say "BOSE" right on them.
yep back 2 deck speakers say bose
Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 AM

Bose

Haha -

Yeah, just noticed that today while cleaning the car a bit.

However, I am sure if we dig a little further, we'll learn that none of the Audio components in the Max are even sort of manufactured by Bose. Maybe a preprogramed EQ curve or something, but bet thats about it.

And I still think it's odd that the only place they put the Bose badge, is one of the hardest places to see, and not on the H/U.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 AM

Haha -

However, I am sure if we dig a little further, we'll learn that none of the Audio components in the Max are even sort of manufactured by Bose. Maybe a preprogramed EQ curve or something, but bet thats about it.

And I still think it's odd that the only place they put the Bose badge, is one of the hardest places to see, and not on the H/U.
Ya, I just removed the head unit to install KPtech's Nav Bypass module and the sticker on it said some Asian company's name (navionics, navtronics, somthing like that). I don't doubt that most components aren't made by bose, but I will say that in the FSM it lists the amplifier (located under the rear deck) specifically as "the BOSE Amplifier". Maybe that is what we are looking for. As for the badges on the speakers, I kinda like the placement - not all in your face, but if you peek thru the rear window you see them (not so much on my car with tint).
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Back in the Max

Haha -

either way this is one of the best stock systems i have ever heard, in its class. Nissan engineers did a excellent job with this system.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by joeynym
either way this is one of the best stock systems i have ever heard, in its class. Nissan engineers did a excellent job with this system.
Amen to that.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM

Haha -

i was wondering why they didnt put the bose badge on the head unit as well, in my altima it had the bose badge
Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM

I'm assuming there's no way to transfer MP3's from a Compact Flash card directly to the Music Box? Would be handy but I can't see where it will do that.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Helpful Info?

Hey Guys, found this if anyone is interested in taking out the BOSE amp.

http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/...ma09_10BA.html

I know it's prob in the service manual, but this may be a quicker How-To -

This also seems to be a great site to find other car stereo removal stuff... Haven't really gotten to look through it too closely, but thought would pass it along :-)
Old 08-12-2009, 02:23 AM

Update - Adding a Power Subwoofer

Hey All -

Just thought I would mention this. In my 06 Murano I had added an Infinity Basslink II, to give me some low end, because boy did that stereo SUCK.

Well, I was gonna sell the sub on Craigslist, but decided I wanted to try it out in my Max, with the bose system, to see if it would make a difference. All, I can say is WOW. The BOSE system sounded great but adding that ONE subwoofer has made all the difference in the world. Back and pant leg vibrating bass is awesome - sounds 10 times better than it ever did in my Murano!
On a side note, As I was doing my install, I discovered a couple things; The Magnets on the rear 6x9 "Subwoofers" are PATHETICALLY SMALL... I was shocked, actually, that they make any noise at all! But I did discover, via the service manual, that there is a remote turn on lead coming off the head unit to the BOSE amp (In the trunk ). When I went in search of it, I found that, unlike all the other wires going into the harness, (which were all bundled together in pairs) the remote turn on lead was there all by it's lonesome, in all its Blue & Silver Glory, making it increadably easy to find and attach the subs remote lead to! So for those looking to add an amp, or powered sub, etc, this is one less wire you have to run all the way from the front to the back. Almost all of my connections were made right in the trunk, with the exception of the main battery wire! A Nice, clean, easy install! Once I can, I'll try and post some pics but I need to post a few more replies first I Think!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 AM
TBA

Hey Guys, found this if anyone is interested in taking out the BOSE amp.

http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/...ma09_10BA.html

I know it's prob in the service manual, but this may be a quicker How-To -

This also seems to be a great site to find other car stereo removal stuff... Haven't really gotten to look through it too closely, but thought would pass it along :-)

I was looking around in my trunk to find a rattle, and saw that the Bose amp was very ease to remove. Just pull the clips for the upper trunk cover and remove the screws for the amp.

The rear deck speakers look like a different story. The bolts are accessed from the top, under the plastic grill on the rear deck. I could not readily find a way to remove those grills without damaging them. There's probably a technique or tool that will pop them right off but I don't know it. I'm not looking to replace the speakers so I wasn't about to go prying with a screwdriver and cause damage.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lanzz
The Maxima has the best sounding OEM system I have heard - except for the Studio Surround Surround system in the Infiniti. For what it's worth, I was less impressed with the Mark Levinson system in a friend's Lexus then I expected to be.
Then you need to listen to the Lexicon system in the Hyundai Genesis. Its the best stock system I have heard, bar none. The B&W system in the Jag XF is also better than the Nissan. The system in the Acura TL with tech is not bad either.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

back speakers

I dont know about you guys but to me it seems like my back speakers are NOT even ON....have any of you had trouble getting ANY sound from the back speakers????? maybe they forgot to hook them up???

Loth
Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Honestly, i had no idea that there was an AMP back there...ya got to be kidding me...only BASS i get from my system is in the 6x9 in the door....should i say something to the dealer when i get in for my next oil change??? Ive had the car 1 year and it was one of the first my dealer ordered....im at 22,000 miles already NEVER had any problems with the car other then that i really thought the back bose covers were for show...ie no back speakers!! Do you guys really get BASS from those back speakers???
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I dont know about you guys but to me it seems like my back speakers are NOT even ON....have any of you had trouble getting ANY sound from the back speakers????? maybe they forgot to hook them up???

Loth
Honestly, i had no idea that there was an AMP back there...ya got to be kidding me...only BASS i get from my system is in the 6x9 in the door....should i say something to the dealer when i get in for my next oil change??? Ive had the car 1 year and it was one of the first my dealer ordered....im at 22,000 miles already NEVER had any problems with the car other then that i really thought the back bose covers were for show...ie no back speakers!! Do you guys really get BASS from those back speakers???
Did you try putting all the sound to the rear speakers? To me it seems that the sound either comes out of the front or the back depending on where you set it. Certainly it is no surround sound setup but I didn't expect it to be.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I certainly did and all the sound seems to come out of the 6.5 in the rear door.....honestly.......im baffled and TICKED now that i know there is even a AMP back there. Could they have missed the connection or???
Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM

I certainly did and all the sound seems to come out of the 6.5 in the rear door.....honestly.......im baffled and TICKED now that i know there is even a AMP back there. Could they have missed the connection or???
I suppose anything is possible. The best way would be to check yourself. Dealer probably couldn't care less.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Yeah, I suppose anything is possible, but you need to realise that the two 6x9's in the rear deck are what Nissan calls "Subwoofers" - Meaning they are supposed to produce notes under 300Hz or so... The 6x9's in the back will not produce any treble or mids, and therefore may seem to not be working, but I am sure they are... Bass frequecies tend to be omnidirectional, meaning you can hear (and feel) them from any position - (Think about a subwoofer in your home theater set up - you can place the sub anywhere in the room, and the sound and bass output is the same) - while mids and high tend to be directional - meaning if something blocks them, or reflects the sound, it will effect how you hear it.

A great example of this is the front sound stage of the car - From the Driver and Passenger seat, the highs (treble) and mids (vocals) are crisp and loud (they border on "bright", or too loud, in my opinion). This is because the center channel and tweeters directional sound "reflects" off the windshield towards the driver and front passenger, making it more apparent where it comes from.

In the rear, the speakers are 6 1/2 inchers in the rear doors and the two subs in the back, so the sound is already bassy to begin with back there. The smaller door speakers (again, which in my opinion should have been a set of components (mid-bass/tweeter combo)) are working harder to produce any high frequencies, since they are bombarded by carpet, sound deadening and upolstry/leather all of which are materials that KILL upper frequencies.

The speaker layout in the BOSE equipped max is as follows:

DASH:
Left Tweeter - Center Speaker - Right Tweeter

LOWER FRONT DOORS
Left Full Range - Right Full Range

LOWER REAR DOORS
Left Full Range - Right Full Range

REAR DECK
Left "Subwoofer" - Right "Subwoofer"

TOTAL = 9 Speakers

I use quotes around "Subwoofer", because, while 6x9's generally have great bass output, there is no such thing a 6x9 subwoofer. REAL subwoofers require LOTS of power, and are generally Round or Square, and are at LEAST 8" in Diameter. One 8" or 10" Sub in the rear deck would have made a better choice than the two 6x9's.

WHEW.... All that having been said, if you want to know if your 6x9's are working, dig up the service manual link on this site, and take off the upper cover inside the trunk (super easy, you'll have it off in 5 min, just be gentle with the velcro on the left and right corners) and play some bassy music (hip hop, dance, whatever) and climb inside the trunk with a flash light or drop light - you should be able to see the underside of the speakers moving with the bass. You can also see the speaker connectors here too, so if they don't seem to be working, look to see if there is anything connected to them (it should be pretty obvious, as the speakers are somewhat isolated by themselves)

Hope this adds some insight and help. In the end, that's why I added my Basslink II - I am a DJ, and I like to feel my music, and the 6x9's just weren't cuttin it.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Bose

No highs and No lows - it is BOSE
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Rear Deck Speakers

Originally Posted by TBA
I was looking around in my trunk to find a rattle, and saw that the Bose amp was very ease to remove. Just pull the clips for the upper trunk cover and remove the screws for the amp.

The rear deck speakers look like a different story. The bolts are accessed from the top, under the plastic grill on the rear deck. I could not readily find a way to remove those grills without damaging them. There's probably a technique or tool that will pop them right off but I don't know it. I'm not looking to replace the speakers so I wasn't about to go prying with a screwdriver and cause damage.
To find out how to remove your rear 6x9's or the finisher covering them, check out the service manual:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2009/

Everything to repair/dismantle/reinstall everything in your Max is Located here.

The section you want to look at to remove the rear deck is in the "INT.pdf" page - Look for "Rear Parcel Shelf Finisher" on page 26, it tells you how to remove and reinstall the cover.

For those who ARE planning on replacing the 6x9's and you have the BOSE system though, be careful... Typically the BOSE systems in the past had some strange OHM ratings, and those can be hard to match correctly. If you install something with a higher OHM rating than the original speakers, the amp is going to have to work harder to drive the speakers, and you could shorten the lifespan of the amp considerably. I am sure the OHM rating is somewhere in the service manual though.

One other thing to note: The amp may have a crossover in it, which only sends Bass frequencies to the 6x9's - so changing them might still result in no mids and highs coming from the new speakers as well.

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Maxima Bose system