7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Motor Trend

Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM

^^^ Good point... It would be interesting to know... ^^^^

plus those are just MSRPs. Maybe Nissan is allowed more room to move around on their prices... And you know how well the "good deal feeling" sells..

Last edited by Flip2cho; 04-28-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
^^^ Good point... It would be interesting to know... ^^^^

plus those are just MSRPs. Maybe Nissan is allowed more room to move around on their prices... And you know how well the "good deal feeling" sells..
I'm going to see what I can find out with a few sources.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Monsta is no where near jealous of the 7th gen.. far from it.....lol, he just expresses his opinion and sticks to it. He is an advid Max fan just like most of us.
He's a big boy, let him state his own case. I got nothing against the guy but he seems to think that everyone here is under the ASSumption that we have the best car on Earth and that all of us want to mod up or surpass the potential of a G37 as if he's speaking for everyone who owns a 7th gen.

Sure the 7th gen is a nice car and it is far nicer than the 6th gen (not that it's a bad car, it isn't) but at the same time we (7th gen owners) are realist as well. We know we don't have the best car in the world, but what we do have is the best car for us as owners and for what we want from it.

Just go back and read some of his posts, there is so much tension in them you can literally cut them with a knife and make a 6th gen model out of them.

I know he thinks everyone here is all high up and mighty about their 7th gen but we're not all like that and in fact, i'd say from what i've seen most here appreciate the G37, Acura, BMW 3 Series and many other models as well.

If he don't like what's going on here then he should speak on it or stay in the 6th gen forum where he has one of the nicest 6th gens on the board. No diss on the man but he shouldn't come here with so much heat.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM
NOT INVITED TO MAXUS 2010

you just compared a new 3 series against a 09 maxima?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM

:metalmax:
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by stockmaximaFTW
Who?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Other things to consider when comparing the Maxima/G37 sales:

There are more Nissan dealerships than Infiniti dealerships. Many shoppers like to have a dealer fairly near, both for routine maintenance, and in case of trouble.

The 'closeness' in price is misleading. Nissan dealers typically can be talked into very good deals on the Maxima, while Infiniti dealers I have visited in the past took affront when I tried for a good deal.

There are a large number of shoppers that feel their 'ride' is an extension of themselves, and are very conscious of image, labels and badging. If the G37 did not have luxury brand badging, I have no doubt G37 sales would be clearly lower than they are.

Most car purchasers are looking for a car that everyone in the family can drive, and feel comfortable in. The G37 has the edge in '4DSC' functions, but the Maxima has the edge in family functions (FWD better in bad weather, cabin feels roomier, trunk is larger, etc, etc).

The BIGGIE: STYLING. The G37 styling is fine. It is classically conservative, and will offend nobody. I kinda like it; much better than the TL. But it is certainly not eye-catching. The 7th gen Maxima is a VERY eye-catching design. I see folks glancing at mine everywhere I go. I even have folks walk up to my car and ask what it is, and tell me to my face this car is beautiful.

I live in an area where most households are FAMILIES, so it is very clear to me why the Maxima is selling much better than the G37 around where I live.

I have lived everywhere from the Arizona desert to New York City and Los Angeles. In metro areas such as Los Angeles and San Francisco, where reality does not exist, and image is the 'be all', I would expect luxury brands to outsell everything, and quality or value of product often do not enter into the picture.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by stockmaximaFTW
OMG man. Out of all he had to say is that really what you picked up!?! Just leave and go away, go far far away!

Last edited by Flip2cho; 04-28-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM

OMG man. Out of all he had to say is that really what you picked up!?! Just leave and go away, go far far away!
The funny thing is that if you read my post, I never compared a Maxima to a BMW, I simply said this:

HTML Code:
i'd say from what i've seen most here appreciate the G37, Acura, BMW 3 Series and many other models as well.
Now either he doesn't read too well, or he is just here as a troublemaker but I don't see how he got "comparison" out of that sentence.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Now either he doesn't read too well, or he is just here as a troublemaker but I don't see how he got "comparison" out of that sentence.
Definitely trying to stir up some b.s.! Isn't he the one that started all this nonsense about the G37? He makes one lame comment to attempt to get all the buzz he is looking for. Don't fuel the fire with this guy. Let him talk to himself!!! Btw, who inputs "Dan Mack" into a Rob Base joint?!?!?!?! Sounds like a tool to me!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Michael76
Definitely trying to stir up some b.s.! Isn't he the one that started all this nonsense about the G37?

Yes, he is the poster who came to our Maxima board to announce that the G37 was superior in almost every way to our Maxima.

We Maxima board posters gave him the benefit of the doubt for a few days, and patiently gave him the reasons he might be a tad off-base with his announcement. But it soon became apparent that he was repeating his position every day without regard to the many reasons we gave him showing he was making unwarranted and incorrect assumptions.

At that point, it became obvious he was simply trolling for an argument.

At least his trolling caused us to bring out all the many features, positive and negative, of both cars, and helped us firm up the real differences between the two, and what those differences mean to the buyer. So it was not a total waste.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Michael76
Sounds like a tool to me!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Other things to consider when comparing the Maxima/G37 sales:

There are more Nissan dealerships than Infiniti dealerships. Many shoppers like to have a dealer fairly near, both for routine maintenance, and in case of trouble.
Another good point from Light. One of the reasons i didn't look into an Audi/BMW further than cursory was because my Nissan dealership is 3 miles from me as opposed to the only Audi/BMW dealerships in Memphis being 20+ miles from me. Even the Infinity dealership is roughly 15 or so miles from me.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 AM

To tell you the truth the reason I didn't look into the G37 myself was a)price (base price vs base price the G is quite a bit higher over here) and b) there is at least a 15:1 G to Max ratio over here and that isn't an exaggeration. I have always driven a more unique vehicle that isn't quite often seen and besides the money I saved means I could start saving up for another toy car to use on the weekend.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 AM

That's pretty funny!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mrodenberg0124
Another good point from Light. One of the reasons i didn't look into an Audi/BMW further than cursory was because my Nissan dealership is 3 miles from me as opposed to the only Audi/BMW dealerships in Memphis being 20+ miles from me. Even the Infinity dealership is roughly 15 or so miles from me.
One thing here that I know for a fact is that all of the dealerships that I have gone to for service here will service the G series, I series, M35 only and QX for basic services to tuneups, now for warranty work you will have to go to your Infiniti dealership (hopefully you wouldn't need that). My wife has had her oil changed at my dealership on more than 1 occassion in her G.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM

:metalmax:...........
Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 AM

2 GO B4...your signature says something on the lines of "If you see a Max in your rearview mirror be afraid...be very afraid"

I respectfully disagree. It should go like this...If you see a CAMRY in your rearview mirror (especially if you are stationary at a stoplight and it's still moving) be afraid...BE VERY AFRAID!!

Back to topic: I just noticed how much styling comes into play when purchasing a car. Like the great Norm Peterson stated...you find the baseline performance and specs that you can live with and then find what really like (style-wise, emotional-wise). I say all this because I "specced" out a 2010 Acura TL with the 3.7 engine, AWD, and 6-speed manual. On paper it is "better" than our 7th Gen, but the front end styling is a felony. As good a car it is, I would not purchase it because of the styling. I guess I'm the automotive version of Shallow Hal.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Maxim_ized
I respectfully disagree. It should go like this...If you see a CAMRY in your rearview mirror (especially if you are stationary at a stoplight and it's still moving) be afraid...BE VERY AFRAID!!

...or if you are walking in a supermarket parking lot and you see a Toyota in the vicinity....be afraid...be really f'n afraid....lol...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maxim_ized
I say all this because I "specced" out a 2010 Acura TL with the 3.7 engine, AWD, and 6-speed manual. On paper it is "better" than our 7th Gen, but the front end styling is a felony. As good a car it is, I would not purchase it because of the styling. I guess I'm the automotive version of Shallow Hal.
your right and it's a shame too. The generation before this new TL was gorgeous! A little small but gorgeous all the same.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 PM

your right and it's a shame too. The generation before this new TL was gorgeous! A little small but gorgeous all the same.

If I owned a company that specialized in aftermarket products, as soon as the new TL was introduced, I would have had my folks drop whatever they were doing and design a beautiful replacement grille for the TL. I consider the TL to be just a really nice grille away from being a very serious market competitor for both the Maxima and the G37.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 AM

Agreed.

While the lines on the front all have a consistent direction to them (and tie in nicely to the body side lines), they're just a bit too "hard". Like anime, or like somebody just told the stylist what perspective drawing was and he forgot that the beautiful things in nature generally consist of convex curves.

But I think you'd really need to start a bit further back - about, oh, just ahead of where the bodyside line crosses the front wheel centerline. Drop that line a little faster going forward from there and the front won't look quite as "squinty", Not cheap, done up to OE quality though.

Norm
Old 05-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
If I owned a company that specialized in aftermarket products, as soon as the new TL was introduced, I would have had my folks drop whatever they were doing and design a beautiful replacement grille for the TL. I consider the TL to be just a really nice grille away from being a very serious market competitor for both the Maxima and the G37.
Actually light, this is already being done. Some Acura dealers even offer this service. Here is a quick link so you can take a look at the Ron Jon grille for the TL. They really make the front end look nice and classy!

http://ronjonwheels.com/4g-tl-grille.html

I mean it might not be the nicest thing but at least it looks a hell of a lot better than the OEM thing Acura has going on! I personally like the "A Bar Option"!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
Actually light, this is already being done. Some Acura dealers even offer this service. Here is a quick link so you can take a look at the Ron Jon grille for the TL. They really make the front end look nice and classy!

I mean it might not be the nicest thing but at least it looks a hell of a lot better than the OEM thing Acura has going on! I personally like the "A Bar Option"!

Thanks for the link. A little hard to compare the two, since they were put on cars of different colors. Like you, I lean to the 'A' bar, because the one without the 'A' seems to leave the car without a front 'focal point.'

If someone brought out a kit for the front end like Norm described, it would probably be a little pricey, but would result in a ride that I would have trouble leaving parked. And when we consider many folks spend many thousands just for bigger, fancier wheels and tires, a body kit that resulted in a unique and very attractive car would be worth big money to many of us.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Have seen it in person, it does a little to help but the overall look is still polarizing. The rear is just as hideous as the front..ughhh. It sort reminds of a 6th gen from various angles and it has that bloated look like the 6th gen, although overall the 6th gens styling is a bit better than that thing. Every one that I know that see's it is like OMG what did they do.....seriously.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 05-02-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Have seen it in person, it does a little to help but the overall look is still polarizing. The rear is just as hideous as the front..ughhh. It sort reminds of a 6th gen from various angles and it has that bloated look like the 6th gen, although overall the 6th gens styling is a bit better than that thing. Every one that I know that see's it is like OMG what did they do.....seriously.
Agreed! Hopefully Acura will get the message that the vast majority do not like what they have done to the front end with that grill. It should be clear that when you have Acura dealers offering this and outside companies that maybe you didn't quite hit the styling right! Glad I got my 08 when I did !
Old 05-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Agreed! Hopefully Acura will get the message that the vast majority do not like what they have done to the front end with that grill. It should be clear that when you have Acura dealers offering this and outside companies that maybe you didn't quite hit the styling right! Glad I got my 08 when I did !
Smarty is smart man!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Glad I got my 08 when I did !
Yes you are. It was the last truly beautiful TL to date. It's a shame too...

When I decided I wanted to start looking for a new car I considered the TL because I've always had a thing for the 3rd gen body style so since 2004 I have dreamed of owning one. I have previously owned two Honda accords (99,03) and always thought about steping up to the TL. It didn't pan out with the long toothed design of the 4th gen for me and after taking a look inside It looked too much like the new accords. A bit nicer ofcourse but too close. After already owning two generations of the accord I didn't want to purchase a "really nice accord". My point being it seems like they didt spend a fortune in design on the 4th gen. It's like they couldn't afford the designers of the previous 3rd gen so they brought in their best accord designers to make the new TL.

To prove my point:
Honda accord...

Acura TL

Last edited by Flip2cho; 05-02-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Yes you are. It was the last truly beautiful TL to date. It's a shame too...

When I decided I wanted to start looking for a new car I considered the TL because I've always had a thing for the 3rd gen body style so since 2004 I have dreamed of owning one. I have previously owned two Honda accords (99,03) and always thought about steping up to the TL. It didn't pan out with the long toothed design of the 4th gen for me and after taking a look inside It looked too much like the new accords. A bit nicer ofcourse but too close. After already owning two generations of the accord I didn't want to purchase a "really nice accord". My point being it seems like they didt spend a fortune in design on the 4th gen. It's like they couldn't afford the designers of the previous 3rd gen so they brought in their best accord designers to make the new TL.

To prove my point:
Honda accord...

Acura TL

the irony....I think the interior of the Accord in the above picture looks a heck of alot better than that of the TL above......
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
the irony....I think the interior of the Accord in the above picture looks a heck of alot better than that of the TL above......
I can see what you mean. The resemblance of the two is striking isn't it? The seats even seem more plush in the accord...
Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 AM

Test drove the new tl before we got the max. came from an 08tsx, fun fun car to drive. Great on gas and nice. while the new TL is ugly, the inside is amazing!!! Have you guys driven one. The interior is beautiful. If you are bored one day, go drive one!!! The interior is sweet. Then go sit in the accord. No where near the same. The TL's interior is a lot nicer then the accords. This is all my opinion by the way. The pics don't do the TL justice for sure.

But look I got the max, because the tl was ugly, and expensive. The max was a lot cheaper, and a lot better looking. Plus we got the family discount of ~4.5 % below invoice. No brainier!

But if you guys get bored some day go drive a TL, as the outside isn't much to look at or hurts your eyes, the inside is awesome i think!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 2010BlackMax
Test drove the new tl before we got the max. came from an 08tsx, fun fun car to drive. Great on gas and nice. while the new TL is ugly, the inside is amazing!!! Have you guys driven one. The interior is beautiful. If you are bored one day, go drive one!!! The interior is sweet. Then go sit in the accord. No where near the same. The TL's interior is a lot nicer then the accords. This is all my opinion by the way. The pics don't do the TL justice for sure.

But look I got the max, because the tl was ugly, and expensive. The max was a lot cheaper, and a lot better looking. Plus we got the family discount of ~4.5 % below invoice. No brainier!

But if you guys get bored some day go drive a TL, as the outside isn't much to look at or hurts your eyes, the inside is awesome i think!
I will contend, that the new TL has a nicer interior over the new Maxima, but not by much. Mainly in some better material quality and fit/finish. I'm not saying the Maxima interior is crap though. It is very nice and the nicest interior, next to the current Murano, that Nissan has ever produced. The Maxima shined though on the exterior and fun factor in driving compared to the TL (at least the base model without the AWD). I was willing to sacrifice a tiny bit with the interior to have the killer sporty body style the 7th Gen Maxima, plus the easy and use of the nav system and luxury features the Maxima has that the TL doesn't, even in its highest built trim level!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM

I will contend, that the new TL has a nicer interior over the new Maxima, but not by much. Mainly in some better material quality and fit/finish. I'm not saying the Maxima interior is crap though. It is very nice and the nicest interior, next to the current Murano, that Nissan has ever produced. The Maxima shined though on the exterior and fun factor in driving compared to the TL (at least the base model without the AWD). I was willing to sacrifice a tiny bit with the interior to have the killer sporty body style the 7th Gen Maxima, plus the easy and use of the nav system and luxury features the Maxima has that the TL doesn't, even in its highest built trim level!
I would say that the 7th Gens interior is very nice (pretty much the same as my Z's), but Nissan has made some other nice/nicely styled interiors in the past. Its those interiors form the 02-06 Altima, 04-08 Maxima and 03-08 350Z that Nissan started getting criticized for bad interiors. Some noteables include: 3rd gen Maxima interior (nice styled), 90-96 300ZX (nicely styled, waterfall design), 00-03 Max (nice waterfall designed dash). 99 and up Pathfinders as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Oh I totally agree with you! The interior of the TL is nice but only a tad nicer then the New Max thats for sure. And the exterior well yeah hands down the max. I couldn't agree with you more.

I was comparing the accord to the TL sorry i forgot to add that. My sister has an accord with leather and navi, and just being in both within the week, the TL was much nicer I thought. But compare the TL and the MAX, and I would say the TL is barely... Barely better then the max. But that is my taste. Overall hands down the max is much better. I like the max's seats better too. But their accord is nice too i do like it, but she always give me a hard time, because they really wanted the max, but it didn't work out where they could get one yet.

Monte, I actually liked my uncles 04 max interior... lots of silver, but I liked that style!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmmmm....

my 2000 Maxima SE might be a write off, and was thinking of getting the '09 maxima. have to research first of course, but, when i read this thread, think i'll stick with everyone opinions here, rather than a mag which might (and probably) biased. thanks for the info!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ferguson1974
my 2000 Maxima SE might be a write off, and was thinking of getting the '09 maxima. have to research first of course, but, when i read this thread, think i'll stick with everyone opinions here, rather than a mag which might (and probably) biased. thanks for the info!

yeah those mags are a joke man. Drive both the G37 and the max and see which one you like best based on price and features, and how it fits you. Then you can decide where to spend your 30-40k moneys
Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2010BlackMax
yeah those mags are a joke man. Drive both the G37 and the max and see which one you like best based on price and features, and how it fits you. Then you can decide where to spend your 30-40k moneys
Couldn't say it better myself man. That is the best way to go about all this. This is what I did at least and then you can make an educated assessment of whether the Maxima or G37 fits your needs or the needs of your family better!