7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Motor Week on PBS features the Maxima!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Motor Week on PBS features the Maxima!!!!!

For those in the MD/DC/VA area, Motor week is featuring the Maxima on the current program (according to the guide) tonight at 7:30p on WHUT.

It should be repeated on the Speed Channel. Check your local listings.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Ahhhh! Motor Week out of Silver Spring, Maryland. I will be very interested in seeing their pics of the '09 in action, and hearing what John Davis has to say about it. Thanks, drakutis.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Unfortunately, they didn't show it. I'm sure it will be soon. They did the Car Keys segment on it last week. So it will be soon.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

I saw the preview on last weeks episode ill be watching tonight!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM

This can be a tricky deal that depends on where one lives. Neither of the two PBS stations in the Atlanta area will have Motor week on tonight. One of them shows it at 9AM Saturday, and the other does not have it scheduled during the next four days. The Speed channel has it scheduled only at 4 AM Friday morning.

Neither the episode on the Speed channel at 4 AM tomorrow nor the PBS episode scheduled for 9 AM Saturday lists the Maxima, but I am recording both anyway, as the schedule often lists the wrong cars as being featured that week.

Whoever is lucky enough to see the Motor Week coverage of the '09 Maxima needs to post here whatever they can remember of what was said.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 PM

just checked my listings and its supposed to be on in a few minutes........i'm gonna watch it plus i'll be recording it too.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Crazy Programming!!!! I just watched Motor Week and although the info for this specific episode listed the Maxima, it was not on the show. The crazy thing is that some of the things that were scheduled to be on the show were actually on there. Makes no sense at all
Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dboogie
Crazy Programming!!!! I just watched Motor Week and although the info for this specific episode listed the Maxima, it was not on the show. The crazy thing is that some of the things that were scheduled to be on the show were actually on there. Makes no sense at all
That's what happened to me!!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:14 PM

If your in md check out the dc section somtimes we have a big meet coming up.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Here is the link to the video:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/video/r...5b_flash.shtml

Looks like the same stock footage with a voice over by the MotorWeek announcer.

Last edited by 2002 Maxima SE; 08-03-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:11 PM

2002 Maxima SE - You are right about the footage. Beautiful scenery, but there are definitely no mountains or deserts where Motor Week tested the '09 Maxima (eastern North Carolina). John Davis spoke mostly in generalities about the '09 Maxima, but what he said was all positive. That blurb was recorded this spring.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
2002 Maxima SE - You are right about the footage. Beautiful scenery, but there are definitely no mountains or deserts where Motor Week tested the '09 Maxima (eastern North Carolina). John Davis spoke mostly in generalities about the '09 Maxima, but what he said was all positive. That blurb was recorded this spring.

I'm waiting on the the OFFICIAL test!!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 PM

According to the PBS site, the Maxima review will be airing beginning the week of Sept. 19th. That's quite a while considering that this week they will be doing the MKS review.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM

I cannot wait for that one!!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 AM

The Motor Week test of the '09 Maxima is almost here.

It will be shown on the SPEED network at 7AM EDT Saturday, September 27th (nine days from today).

For those in the Atlanta area, this episode will also be on PBS channel 30 this Saturday, September 20th at 9AM EDT, and on PBS channel 8 next Thursday, September 25th at 1AM EDT. Others around the country should check the sched for their local PBS (public broadcasting /educational) station to find out when they can see this episode.

As info, this episode is called the 'Honda FIT' episode, because the first car tested in this show will be the Honda FIT.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Love my '09

I couldn't find specific airings, so I told it to record "all" the Motor week shows the DVR found. Once I get it and watch, I'll unprogram it.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 AM

Just saw the Motorweek episode on the 2009 Maxima this morning. It was a little dissappointing. They didn't praise or punish the Maxima, but they did make the same mistakes as every other review so far.

They tested a Maxima SV Priemium w/ the double glass sunroof. During the slalom, there was noticeable lean (obviously because of the roof and smaller wheels and comfort based tires). Then when they were reviewing the cars features, they didn't even mention the double glass sunroof!!!

I was hoping they would test a Sport Package...no such luck.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Since this thread will probably begin sinking down to oblivion within the next month, I thought I would excerpt a few comments from the review for those who may have missed it. Much of the review simply repeated the specs we already know by heart. Here are a few opinions they have about the new car:

'A fresh approach to styling; the Maxima 'liquid motion' theme equates to a more powerful and flowing coke bottle shape.'

'The car's taut, seamless profile is defined by a high beltline and accented wheel flares.'

'The CVT proved to be a good match to the V6 torque curve.'

'Maxima handling is the result of a well-tuned strut front suspension, multi-link rear geometry, and enhanced body rigidity.'

'Despite the weight bias penalty of FWD, the big Maxima delivers a high level of agility. Turns are quick, and cornering is very flat. Steering is responsive, with good feedback, even if a little light.'

'The new Maxima has up-to-date sports sedan credentials; a ride quality among the best of its lot.'

'Brake pedal feel was fine, with plenty of stability.

'The Maxima offers a handsome, sophicated, cockpit-style cabin. Guages are well-laid out and clear, as are most controls. The metal and wood trim underscores the upscale look. Front seats have improved lateral support for more-spirited driving.'

'The new car is light years ahead of its predecessor; a fine alternative for the Acura TL and Audi A6.'

'Welcome back, Maxima; we missed you.'
Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Missed it!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Love my '09

I saw it, it was a rather boring, around 7 minute clip.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE

I was hoping they would test a Sport Package...no such luck.

Sport package rocks trust me!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
I saw it, it was a rather boring, around 7 minute clip.

You sound like a BMW driver; easily bored. I have watched that Motor Week clip at least four or five times, and still have it on TiVo, because I will be watching it again. I greatly enjoyed watching how this Maxima performed in the slalom and under extremely aggressive lane changes (done so violently the car actually almost fishtailed). Motor Week certainly feels the 7th gen is a leap forward from my beloved 6th gen, especially in handling and with the greatly improved CVT.

But then I am the type that can easily spend months sitting in a library doing research, so I am never really bored by anything, other than politics. I can see where others may have been bored by Motor Week's somewhat staid and academic approach to testing.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Here is a link to the video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHv5pAKyYmc
Old 05-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Here is a link to the video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHv5pAKyYmc

Thanks, MaxLoverAz - Thanks to you, I just watched this video twice more. I have watched it at least half a dozen times, but this is the first time I have watched it since last fall.

John Davis has no option but to quote the official government MPG ratings, but I find I am easily beating the rated hiway 26 MPG. Mine is varying from 27 to 30 on longer freeway trips, and if I were on a flat freeway in light traffic, I feel sure 31 or 32 MPG would be reachable. I hope to find out before much longer.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Thanks, MaxLoverAz - Thanks to you, I just watched this video twice more. I have watched it at least half a dozen times, but this is the first time I have watched it since last fall.

John Davis has no option but to quote the official government MPG ratings, but I find I am easily beating the rated hiway 26 MPG. Mine is varying from 27 to 30 on longer freeway trips, and if I were on a flat freeway in light traffic, I feel sure 31 or 32 MPG would be reachable. I hope to find out before much longer.
Very nice I just got 24.2 on my first tank of Premium in the city so I hope to do at least that well on the highway, I can't wait to take a trip maybe next weekend now that I have my clear bra on I don't have to worry about rock chips.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 AM

I just hope your not going by the computer MPG rating. That would not be accurate at all.

Last edited by BMWHIGH1; 05-18-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
I just hope your not going by the computer MPG rating. That would not be accurate at all.
Why not?

I did number crunching and bounced it off the computer and it was right on.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Not sure I agree here. Because it can be so tricky filling up to exactly the same level every time - each pump is different. I can put anywhere from 0.6 to 1.2 gallons after the pump shuts off the first time.

I found that averaging the manual calculations over several tanks almost matched the computer exactly. After doing this several times - I quit calculating by hand.

I should note that I am driving an antiquated '05!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Nope simple pen and paper.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Not sure I agree here. Because it can be so tricky filling up to exactly the same level every time - each pump is different. I can put anywhere from 0.6 to 1.2 gallons after the pump shuts off the first time.

I found that averaging the manual calculations over several tanks almost matched the computer exactly. After doing this several times - I quit calculating by hand.

I should note that I am driving an antiquated '05!!!

Spot on. Any manual MPG calculation done on less than around a five consecutive tank stretch will not be accurate, because of dozens of variables. Even little things like temperature, slope of the pavement by the pump, adjustment of the pump nozzle cutoff, etc, etc, can make a big difference with an individual fillup. But if we measure the gallons and miles over around a five consecutive tank stretch, we begin to have an accurate MPG calculation.

After I carefully measured my miles and gallons over an eight fillup stretch, I found my onboard computer MPG calculation was just over one tenth of an MPG low. For me, that is close enough to trust it, as I don't need to know the 'laboratory-precise' MPG.