7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM

I see the TL Type 'S' mentioned. That is a good performance car, but almost every crtique I see of the latest Type 'S' used such terms as 'jittery', 'very firm', 'rough', 'brittle', ect. Thank goodness the Maxima did not go too far in ride firmness; several testers said the new Maxima chassi tweaks got the ride right. How many Type 'S' Acuras do you see on the road? I almost never see one. That tells me something.

For me, the G8 styling is pure 1980s Detroit. I much prefer the Accord, Avalon and Camry styling to the G8. And as if the MPG for the Maxima is not already 'treading close' to the limit with the current energy crisis, the G8 is rated with an even lower MPG than the Maxima, and during testing, got even worse MPG (15 in one test, 16 in another) than rated.

Those using the term 'Camry' to downtalk any vehicle are behind the times. The current Camry is one heck of a vehicle in many ways. Just not for me.

Those that feel that, to be a 4DSC, a car must be the top accellerating car in its class are behind the times. 4DSC involves VASTLY more factors than pure accelleration.

If you want the best all-around car in the Maxima's class (accelleration, handling, affordability, quality of ride, reliability, MPG, room, fun to drive, styling, appointments, options, accomodations, quality of interior materials, fit and finish of both interior and exterior, seating comfort, etc), for me, the Maxima is a slam dunk. Others will see things differently. That is reality.

If you are looking for the car that is the very best in ONE OR TWO specific areas mentioned, another car will always be better than the Maxima in those areas, but worse than the Maxima in most other areas. Again, that is reality. No vehicle is perfect. I just feel the '09 Maxima will be as close to perfect OVERALL for me as any car I have seen in 59 years of driving.

Those who feel differently should give the new Maxima a close look in person, test-drive it, and if they still prefer another car, they need to go in that direction.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-18-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey ur right about that!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
How many Type 'S' Acuras do you see on the road? I almost never see one. That tells me something.
Honestly, I see those big, four tailpipes very often here in Seattle on I-5. Seems to be a very popular Acura, very nasty (good way) looking. Maybe the best performing FWD car made?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I really like MAxima's ! But to me Maxima was all about its quickness and bang for the buck in its price range. The reason I used camry is because the Maxima always used to out perform it everytime. And Camry is a pretty nice car but it never gave me the excitement as driving a maxima. I dont know why ! Then again everyone has thier own opinion & feelings! This is just mine!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:35 AM

made in china - The Type 'S' must be a regional thing. I see several TLs every day (compared to dozens of Maximas), but almost never a Type 'S'. I think the tranny catastrophy in the TL and Type 'S' about five years ago really hurt their sales around here.

My son had his Type 'S' tranny replaced three times. He was so proud of that car, and dealing with Honda regarding that worthless tranny broke his heart. He would never touch another Acura/Honda even if they gave him one free. I hear the new Type 'S' is a real fine car, other than an unpleasant ride that almost every tester comments on.

speeddemon247 - I'm like you when it comes to the Camry. Very fine car, but somhow it just doesn't hit the spot with me. I suppose you read where the '09 Maxima did one run to 60 in 5.8 seconds in one of the mag tests a few weeks ago. It was referenced here, but I've forgotten which thread. I have felt for some time that this power thing has gotten out of hand in recent years, with lots of cars out there now with over 300 HP (and with commensurate MPG). I think $10 a gallon gas will take care of that situation in the very near future. At any rate, I like the Maxima styling more than the Camry, and you seem to feel the same way.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:38 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by speedemon247
Who said going quick was about chiks? its a littile but that stuff doesnt work anymore! Chiks now doesnt care what u drive! may be some of em! Maxima was all about performance and luxury thats why it was a hit. If it was just luxury the avalon has a better ride than the Maxima. Maxima is more on the performance side, it always has been. So 0-60 matters a lot to be called a 4DSC. 6.1 is quick enough for me but its not quick enough to beat the competetions like G8 or the Type-S! So if you want 40% Performance and 60% luxury Maxima is the car for you. Maximas used to be 60% performace and 40% Luxury. All around its a great car and has always been and hope it always will be. The New Maxima does offer some awsome gadgets and I applaud the guys who where in charge of that department. Great Work & Idea. Even though most of it is a copy from the infiniti.
Your stuck on quick, I said most chicks like luxury. What's wrong with Infinity? Should it copy the Camry or the G8??? If you mix those two cars together than you'll have a piece of ****.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Autoblogs first test drive '09 Maxima

Autoblogs first test drive

Originally Posted by AUTOBLOG
"As for whether or not it deserves that "4DSC" sticker on the rear window once again, let's just say that real sports cars don't use CVT transmissions."

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/20/f...nissan-maxima/

Last edited by maximadave; 06-20-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 PM

Thanks, maximadave. Seems this reviewer really liked everything about this new Maxima other than the CVT and the Bose. He especially noted the handling, braking, cockpit, seats, steering wheel, etc, were very good, and liked the lack of torque steer.

For me, the only surprise in this review was the negative bit on the Bose; I read two other reviews that praised this Bose.

I was not surprised by his panning of the CVT, as he made it crystal clear several times that he is not a CVT person, period. We know from this board that there is a large segment of folks that will never prefer the CVT, no matter how bad or good it may eventually be. That is just reality.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Good review overall. But another negative review of the dreaded CVT. I hope Nissan is listening.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Project Ruby......

Overall pretty good review Nissan should really just offer a 6spd, it's not like in the past generations many were built with manual transmissions. Just go to the parts bin and offer it.

And really it's no surprise about the Bose. Bose sucks end of story, every car that has it is never impressive they all have that muddy sound exactly as the review said. No highs or lows when you have a Bose.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned

Am going to look at them as soon as my sales guy calls me.. Love the mew Maximas.. Not going to buy one, but want to check them out in person
Old 06-22-2008, 05:01 AM

I had one problem with my Bose. One.

Other than that ONE, I loved it and thought it sounded incredibly good. Perhaps the folks that had a tough go with theirs sounding funny/muddy might not have had it set correctly?

I don't know much about audio settings, I left that to some good friends, and when they were done, the sound was crystal clear and amazing.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:30 AM

Motive Magazine Review

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...n_Maxima.shtml
Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Kevlo for President

You haven't heard good audio if you think Bose is good. I used to think the same till I upgraded.

This CVT **** will continue until they offer a manual so Nissan needs to get off their asses
Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Project Ruby......

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
You haven't heard good audio if you think Bose is good. I used to think the same till I upgraded.

This CVT **** will continue until they offer a manual so Nissan needs to get off their asses

This entire quote above speaks truth!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximadave

This was the same feeling I got based on my time driving the 09 Maxima. Its like they got everything right then slapped on this CVT. A nice manual with a HLSD would do wonders for this car.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

why not a dsg?

The CVT seems to poorly mimic a DSG, which from what i hear, is incredible...
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM

maxger - Thanks for these road test references. I really enjoy reading them.

Seems this latest referenced tester absolutely loved everything about this new Maxima except the CVT. He feels it is a better vehicle than the G35 in many ways. It seems the CVT is great for all phases of driving except when pushed very hard on winding steep roads. I personally sometimes drive on steep mountain roads (born and raised in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and go back there often), but the price of tires for the Maxima (and most cars) keeps me from doing the kind of 'burnout' driving the referenced tester did, so the Maxima will be perfect for me. As usual.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM

I wonder what this is about....
But the real news is the Maxima's performance. Acceleration to 60 mph comes in the mid-to-high five-second range with a deep grunt of intake noise passed through an amplifier, a concept pioneered by the BMW Z4
Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 PM

My question is this, if I take out that little amplifier that makes the grunt noise will the car have a quieter ride?

I think I read somewhere that Nissan put the amplifier in the car because the car ran too quiet. That's what I'm after...a near luxury car offering a smooth and quiet ride.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 PM

MAX2DAMAX - Nissan found the new Maxima was so well-insulated sound-wise that the engine could not be heard. That was no fun in what was supposed to be a 'sporty' near-luzury vehicle, so they found a way to take the soft engine intake roar and amplify it, projecting it into the pasenger cabin. That way, when you stomp on it, you can 'hear' the engine respond.

gopack504 - I'm sure there would be some devious way to disconnect the amp. But I think you will find the amplified 'roar' will not be intrusive, probably only noticable during serious accelleration. I would have no trouble with that, as long as I couldn't hear the amped noise while cruising at highway speeds.

And as long as you avoid the optional 'Sports' package, the ride should be very comfortable. Even with the firmer 'Sports' package, testers have said it is not only an excellent performer, as good as either the G35 or TL, but with a clearly better (less harsh/brittle) ride.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 AM

The Car Connection.com Review

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/bl...nissan-maxima/

The Maxima has a ride that’s almost as smooth and serene as the Avalon, while being more capable, yet it’s not quite as nervous as the TL in its Type-S iteration.

Last edited by maxger; 06-24-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zack342
This was the same feeling I got based on my time driving the 09 Maxima. Its like they got everything right then slapped on this CVT. A nice manual with a HLSD would do wonders for this car.
Or a 7-Speed Auto, for those who doesn't want to row gears.

The CVT may be the killer for me with this car.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Beautiful car. Can't wait to see it on the road somewhere.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Had I been a bigwig at Nissan making the decisions, I would have had a very difficult time saying 'we will only have a CVT with the Maxima.' But somebody high up at Nissan did exactly that, so that is what we have.

I think about this, and realize whoever made that decision knew many long-time Maxima fans would be really upset. That person put their career on the line that the CVT would eventually prove to be a very good tranny, and understood very well that, when perfected, would give measurably better accelleration and better fuel economy than any shifting tranny.

Although I would never have had the guts to make that call, I must admit that, so far, most members here on the ORG who have test-driven the '09 have given ratings from 'good' to 'surprisingly quick with no lag or stumble anywhere' and even 'fun to shift via the paddles' on this new CVT, and several said it was much better than the CVT in the 6th gen, and no longer has that dropoff around 70 MPH.

I wish Nissan could have found a way to appease that 2% (some estimates go as high as 5%) who would have loved to stay with the old-school notched manual, as that is where those folks 'get their jollies', and part of the glow of owning a Maxima is to have the most fun possible.

But they didn't. So as fans, we either move on to the third millenium with what we have, or change to a different vehicle. I personally love everything about the Maxima, and understand the CVT in this '09 may now be the most efficient tranny available in any car at this time. I can live with that. Hello paddles.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissan will lose loyal customers because of the decision to use a cvt over a quick shifting 6 or 7 speed auto. personally, in a year or two when i tire of my 02 auto se, i will be shopping infiniti g35 and the pontiac g8 gt.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:39 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Nissan never listens! People have been asking for so many things and nissan never does it. This is why i HATE all new nissans 2000+ especially the horrible QR motor (no offense to anybody). I love what nissan use to build like the Z cars, the 3rd and 4th gen max's, 240sx's(bodys only because nissan forgot to put the real motor in) and of course the nx 2000 and b13 sentra se-r's and even then there were so many great motors lying in japan junk yards that should have been here. Its ashame what they are doing with the newer cars. I even have a huge complaint about the new GT-R.......NO manual will be offered. I understand it has all that other cool stuff, but true enthusiast want a MANUAL TRANNY!! Don't get me wrong I would take one in a heart beat, but just want a manual that's all.

rant done....
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
nissan will lose loyal customers because of the decision to use a cvt over a quick shifting 6 or 7 speed auto. personally, in a year or two when i tire of my 02 auto se, i will be shopping infiniti g35 and the pontiac g8 gt.
If you go Infiniti, you are still going Nissan.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Project Ruby......

Originally Posted by babymac
Nissan never listens! People have been asking for so many things and nissan never does it. This is why i HATE all new nissans 2000+ especially the horrible QR motor (no offense to anybody). I love what nissan use to build like the Z cars, the 3rd and 4th gen max's, 240sx's(bodys only because nissan forgot to put the real motor in) and of course the nx 2000 and b13 sentra se-r's and even then there were so many great motors lying in japan junk yards that should have been here. Its ashame what they are doing with the newer cars. I even have a huge complaint about the new GT-R.......NO manual will be offered. I understand it has all that other cool stuff, but true enthusiast want a MANUAL TRANNY!! Don't get me wrong I would take one in a heart beat, but just want a manual that's all.

rant done....
The Maxima and everyday type of vehicles should have an option for manual no doubt.

It would be cool to see a GT-R with a manual gearbox, but cars like that, that pack a ton of technology IMO just leave the paddle shift gearbox in it. These new transmissions shift so freakin quick it's almost pointless to have a manual transmission when you shell out $70K-$300K for a car. You may not be quite as connected with a car as you would with a manual transmission, but I honestly wouldn't care when you're shifting faster than you can blink (F430 Scuderia).
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Good information.Can't wait to test drive it now....
Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by foxbat
If it makes you feel better about it, just call it an ULTRA-quick shifting 210 speed auto. That IS what it is.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by babymac
Nissan never listens! People have been asking for so many things and nissan never does it.
Probably never listens, but they definitely have been reading up on the comments here on the .Org.

"Need larger rotors" - Check
"Need more power" - Check
"It's a boat, make it smaller" - Check
"I want LED taillights" - Check
"Better mileage" (relative to power output" - Check
"Better turning radius" - Check
"Smaller steering wheel" - Check
"Better handling" - Check
etc., etc...
Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Idk know if 2000+ guys realize this but the maxima was barely considered a sports vehicle nissan seemed to be more concerned with slowly making it a luxury car mainly because the only ****ers racing where the dam coupes and the want for a 4dsc got smaller and smaller so they built special types of the altima and sentra.

so if youre really wondering why things like make it smaller and more power didn't get through thats why

but thanks to nissan gods they decided to bring th 4dsc back so now were gonna slowly see all the bull**** luxury items fade the **** away and CVT will never beat manual when you talk too a tuner or a racer so if there calling it a sports car why would they ignore this group
CVT is the new auto but manual still here just give a few years!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by soundmike
Probably never listens, but they definitely have been reading up on the comments here on the .Org.

"Need larger rotors" - Check
"Need more power" - Check
"It's a boat, make it smaller" - Check
"I want LED taillights" - Check
"Better mileage" (relative to power output" - Check
"Better turning radius" - Check
"Smaller steering wheel" - Check
"Better handling" - Check
etc., etc...
Most if not all these things are things that every car manufacture does when a new model comes out. They have to improve on the previous model and those things listed are the most important things and easiest things to improve on.

And they do listen, but to magazines not the actual car buyers themselves.

Basically I just want a 6speed manual available in every sports sedan, thats all.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
This entire quote above speaks truth!
actually my bose in my 97 has really good bass, i put an after market head unit and those little things rattle my TRUNK! but thats just my opinion.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 PM

babymac - Like it or not, and no matter how many of us would like a manual option, the manual is a dog whose day is ending. The manual was king when I was driving in the 1940s (yes, I am old). The auto trannies of the early 1950s had slippage that would put a banana peel to shame, and I hated them. But the autos gradually got better and better, and things reached a point where I had trouble finding a large family sedan with manual.

Move ahead fifty or sixty years, and the cycle changes yet again.

As the CVT continues to get better and better (and the '09 Maxima CVT is MUCH better than the 6th gen's was), it will outperform ANY shifting tranny in both accelleration and MPG. The laws of physics require that to be so. That is the sad truth.

The bad news will probably get worse, as more and more hard-pressed car manufacturers cut costs by eliminating a manual option on higher priced near-luxury vehicles, even the 'sporty' ones.

Nobody ever said the auto tranny would be as much fun as the manual. And nobody can tell you the CVT could be as much fun as the manual. But with fuel over $4 a gallon and rising, and the government demanding higher and higher fleet MPG averages, the handwriting is on the wall. The time may come when we have trouble even finding a vehicle that runs on pure gasoline.

I intend to buy my '09 with paddles, and practice with those paddles until I can somewhat duplicate a manual tranny. Or at least come as close as possible.

Time passes, and things change. But at least Nissan gave us a way we can somewhat control the relationship between RPMs and speed via a set of paddles, and I intend to make the best of it.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 PM
retired moderator

to both of your points, Kev....

1. Bose sounds pretty good next to the base audio on most cars, but you'll forget you ever liked it once you go aftermarket. Even my Alpine deck using the stock Bose speakers/sub is a HUGE improvement over the Bose HU>>

2. Just in case it hasn't been said enough: Nissan: I will not EVER buy another maxima if it only comes with CVT. Quote me on it.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
retired moderator

Also...seriously....did Mr.Spock and Captain Kirk design the cockpit? I mean, this looks straight out of Star Trek. Totally lame dash and steering wheel.

Nissan: Please examine Audi or BMW for how a dash and steering wheel should look.

The outside is growing on me, but I still hate those headlights.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Project Ruby......

Originally Posted by webjohn
actually my bose in my 97 has really good bass, i put an after market head unit and those little things rattle my TRUNK! but thats just my opinion.
read this quote below

Like I said quoted for truth!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 AM

Here is a quick review. Look for the part where it mentions a possible 4cyl Maxima. That would be interesting but pointless.

http://www.statesman.com/money/conte..._0704_COX.html

Quick Reply: All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima