7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

PART 1: Reasons I don't trust the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 07:28 AM

PART 1: Reasons I don't trust the dealership

Hello All,
I've owned 4 Nissan vehicles in the past 30 yrs, 97 Maxima SE, 03 Maxima SE, 10 Murano LE, and now a 10 Maxima SV and I've worked on them all myself.
When I bought my current 2010 Maxima SV used in 2011, I took it to the dealer because it was under warranty and I wanted all the fluids changed as a precaution.

Mind you, the car only had 35k miles on it and the dealership told me that the CVT fluid was fine and wouldn't need to be changed until the car hit 70k miles. I said fine, paid my bill and took my car.
Once I joined this site I began a routine of changing my fluid every 50k miles which I continued until recently when my car was no longer my daily driver, now it's every 2 yrs.

Currently, I'm sitting at 199,475 miles and my short term goal is to reach 250k miles with no major mechanical issues; so far so good, I thought, but the dealership, "needs my car" and according to them
I need a newer Maxima and they will give me a great trade-in for my car right now.

In May of 2023, my "Service Engine" light came on, I took the car to Auto Zone and had the car scanned, it came up with code P0455, "gross evap leak".
I changed the gas cap and had Auto Zone clear the code, but it returned in Aug of 23. I bought my own scan tool and cleared the code again and it came back in Oct of 23.

I've cleared it 3 additional times the most recent being this past Mar. Fed up with the light re-appearing every couple of weeks, I decided to take my car to the dealer to have it fixed once and for all, or at least I thought.
I told them exactly what code came up, that I had cleared it numerous times, and that my car showed no unusual driving issues.

They diagnosed my car, and gave me a laundry list of problems with it and the "dealer prices" they'd charge me to fix said problems.
Next, I'll tell you what I was told by a former Nissan tech, what I've learned from this site, and why I have no trust in dealerships anymore.

Last edited by Maxgig; 04-03-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:05 AM

PART II: Reasons I don't trust the dealership

I'll try to pick up where I left off for those who read PART I. I took my 2010 Maxima SV to my local dealership to have a P0455 code diagnosed and fixed. When I got the call with my repair update, this is what I was told. My car had 3 stored codes: P0455 - Gross Evap Leak, P1800 - VIAS stuck closed and P0868 - Low CVT internal pressure. Their notes said that the low CVT internal pressure was "most likely metal debris in the valve body and they recommend CVT REPLACEMENT." My car is running perfectly fine, I changed my CVT fluid in May of 2023 and again in Feb of 2024 when I was going to give it to my niece as a graduation gift, so being told that I needed a new transmission was a total shock to me.

Here is the breakdown of the parts and labor to have the work done by them.
REC REPLACING TRANSMISSION REC REPLACING VIAS SOLENOID VALVE REPLACING THE TRANSMISSION COSTS $8256.93
310cm-1xe3era $5670.99 14955-8j10a $330.99 REPLACING THE VIAS SOLENOID COSTS $417.24
31084-3z000 $10.99 LABOR - $86.25
999dr-cv0ns3q $159.95 REC SMOKE TEST TO DETERMINE EVAP LEAK
LABOR - $2415 LABOR - $172.50
(PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE TAXES/FEES)

The total bill would be $9246.67 if I paid an additional $400 to have the evap canister replaced, all for a car they valued at $1500 as a trade in. Where do I sign up for that great deal?

Now the lies they've been telling all Nissan vehicle owners all these years are, that the CVT doesn't need to be serviced until you hit 70k miles, your sparkplugs are good for 120k miles.
You don't have to replace the internal CVT filter as long as you have the CVT serviced according to the maintenance schedule.

I spoke to a retired Nissan service tech in Dallas, TX a couple of years ago and he told me that Nissan hates seeing their cars on the road that have high miles.
When you bring your car in for service and it has "TOO MANY" miles on it, that's when you'll start getting those postcards saying your car is in "HIGH DEMAND" and you should trade it in on a new one.

I found out about the Maxima external filter from LtLeary on this site, but I didn't know there was an internal CVT filter until I spoke to the tech.

I watched a video of a Maxima that had 80k miles on it and had a bad CVT, when they dropped the transmission pan it was all black inside and full of metal debris.
I can't imagine what mine looks like after 200k miles, but I'm hopeful it won't be real bad because of my diligent maintenance schedule.

Try finding the part number for the internal filter and transmission pan gasket. It's not a quick search. That is done by design by Nissan. (F09-G28-403) (31728-1XD03-403) (31728-1XD03) In case you were wondering.

(The dealer charges $330.99 for a new VIAS solenoid I got it for $16.99).
(The dealer charges $159.95 for 5qts of NS3 CVT fluid I got it for $80 shipped).
(I bought the internal filter and gasket for $13.80).

I watched a few YOUTUBE videos and found that I can change the VIAS solenoid, the filter and gasket at my local military Auto Craft Shop for a fraction of what the dealer would charge.
I know this isn't a Maxima problem related question but I felt I had to get this off my chest and hopefully inform you guys in the process.

Take Care, and keep em on the road.

Last edited by Maxgig; 04-03-2024 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:41 PM
Administrator

I think it would be best if you simply posted your story in one thread, but keep them segmented as separate posts within the thread. Will merge them now...
Old 04-04-2024, 07:13 AM

evap leaks can be a mix of different things, did you replace the evap canister?

dealerships will follow the book, so if a code pops up the protocol to fix that issue will be what is recommended

sorry about your issues, and yea dealerships are a big hit or miss!

maybe get a 2nd opinion at a trusted shop to see what they say if they find the same codes? maybe just fix the evap, and keep it moving?

and those high demand things are just marketing ! consumerism at it's finest ! look at the cell phone companies they have the same marketing ploy, trade in your old phone any condition for a new one.. they just want to start a new cycle of product and payments.
they hate to see a high mileage because that means you aren't buying a new car and spending money... basic economics.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:57 AM

Thanks Wizard, I planned to do one thread but once I got so far along I didn't want to have a book, merging them into one is much better.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM

Prophecy99,
If my check engine light didn't come back on every 3 weeks or so I wouldn't have even been concerned because my car drives great. I'm going to visually inspect the evap canister, replace the solenoid and internal transmission filter and go from there. My only concern is that my budget scanning tool only showed me one code and not the 2 big ones.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:05 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Hello All,
I've owned 4 Nissan vehicles in the past 30 yrs, 97 Maxima SE, 03 Maxima SE, 10 Murano LE, and now a 10 Maxima SV and I've worked on them all myself.
When I bought my current 2010 Maxima SV used in 2011, I took it to the dealer because it was under warranty and I wanted all the fluids changed as a precaution.

Mind you, the car only had 35k miles on it and the dealership told me that the CVT fluid was fine and wouldn't need to be changed until the car hit 70k miles. I said fine, paid my bill and took my car.
Once I joined this site I began a routine of changing my fluid every 50k miles which I continued until recently when my car was no longer my daily driver, now it's every 2 yrs.

Currently, I'm sitting at 199,475 miles and my short term goal is to reach 250k miles with no major mechanical issues; so far so good, I thought, but the dealership, "needs my car" and according to them
I need a newer Maxima and they will give me a great trade-in for my car right now.

In May of 2023, my "Service Engine" light came on, I took the car to Auto Zone and had the car scanned, it came up with code P0455, "gross evap leak".
I changed the gas cap and had Auto Zone clear the code, but it returned in Aug of 23. I bought my own scan tool and cleared the code again and it came back in Oct of 23.

I've cleared it 3 additional times the most recent being this past Mar. Fed up with the light re-appearing every couple of weeks, I decided to take my car to the dealer to have it fixed once and for all, or at least I thought.
I told them exactly what code came up, that I had cleared it numerous times, and that my car showed no unusual driving issues.

They diagnosed my car, and gave me a laundry list of problems with it and the "dealer prices" they'd charge me to fix said problems.
Next, I'll tell you what I was told by a former Nissan tech, what I've learned from this site, and why I have no trust in dealerships anymore.
P0455 is a gross leak which means it's not the fuel cap, I believe that one is usually P0456. Gross leak likely means that you evap canister is cracked or the purge valve is stuck open. The purge valve is very easy to replace typically (never done one on a 7th gen but my 95 and 02 were cake)

It was just one 10mm if I remember correctly, and removing a hose or two. The test is applying 12v to the connectors and you should hear the valve make a click which means it is opening and closing. if it does not, there is your problem.

Also visually inspect the canister (black box typically under rear bumper) check for obvious cracks.

There are ways to fill the evap system with smoke to see where the smoke leaks from lines and hoses. I've used a harbor freight liquid transfter pump and a black n mild/swisher cigar before purchasing a smoke machine. Youtube is your friend.

Also good job on doing CVT fluid changes, 50k is a bit of a stretch by my book. I did mine every 25k-30k miles on 24 months whichever came first. This was when I still had a CVT of course, now with the 6spd I change the gear lube probably once a year.