7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Fog Light Installation Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fog Light Installation Help Needed

I own a 2010 Maxima SV that did not come with factory fog lights. While changing out the headlights, I noticed I had the plugs to connect the fog lights and seen the screws to take off the grill to place the fog lights in.

I just purchased LED fog lights but when I went to plug them in, they won't turn on with the low beam or high beam lights. I thought it could be a burnt fuse but that was not the case as the fuse was fine.

To rule out the LED lights being faulty I plugged an H11 bulb into the fog light socket and that also did not turn on. I was in a rush so I didn't have time to check for voltage from the socket but is there anything else I need to do or am missing to get the fog lights to turn on?

I saw online that if your Max came with the sockets, it was as easy as plug and play but that is not the case for mine. Anything else I need to do? Do the fog lights I purchased need something else to connect to for more power? Is there any reason the sockets are not working given the fact that nothing was ever plugged in there?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by 40belowceo; 10-05-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:50 PM

I have a 2010 SV as well and I went to my car to verify this. Look on page 2-32 of the owner's manual for the directions on the fog light operation. Look on your left stalk to see if you have the fog light symbol, if you do then you are gtg.

Turn the headlight switch to the on position and then turn the fog light switch to the fog light position and they should come on. I don't know if there is a separate fog light fuse, but I would assume there is and that you probably don't have one installed.

NOTE: the stalk has 3 distinct parts, the headlight switch, which has several positions, the middle piece, which doesn't turn, and the fog light switch which rotates towards you to turn the fogs on.

Hope this helps, let us know if this works for you. Good luck.

Last edited by Maxgig; 10-05-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:55 PM

Fog lamps have a separate fuse. Engine compartment fuse box, outside row of fuses 3rd from the bottom. 15A.
Old 10-06-2023, 05:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I have a 2010 SV as well and I went to my car to verify this. Look on page 2-32 of the owner's manual for the directions on the fog light operation. Look on your left stalk to see if you have the fog light symbol, if you do then you are gtg.

Turn the headlight switch to the on position and then turn the fog light switch to the fog light position and they should come on. I don't know if there is a separate fog light fuse, but I would assume there is and that you probably don't have one installed.

NOTE: the stalk has 3 distinct parts, the headlight switch, which has several positions, the middle piece, which doesn't turn, and the fog light switch which rotates towards you to turn the fogs on.

Hope this helps, let us know if this works for you. Good luck.
See that's the thing. My Max is not equipped with the fog light switch on the left stalk so I assumed it would just turn on with the low beams but that is not the case. Why would Nissan have the wired plugs for the fog lights and an unscrewable plastic mesh so you can mount and plug in the fog lights only not to work? It doesn't make sense. I am sure I am missing something here.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:17 AM

I hope it's something simple as adding a fuse, but another friend says you have to either add a separate fog light switch or worse case change out your turn signal stalk. you might try talking to a Nissan service tech and see what they say.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I just read another thread and they said that you need to have the signal column stalk with the fog light switch installed, then it will work. It looks like a simple job to switch it also. I just bid on one on ebay and awaiting a response.

Thanks!