7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Has anyone cleaned their throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Has anyone cleaned their throttle body?

I am wondering if some of my smoothness issues might be a dirty throttle body and I was thinking of giving it a cleaning but I sure don't want to mess anything up. I cleaned the throttle body on a 2007 Mustang one time that had horrible build up and after I put everything back together the car was idling at like 3,000 rpm...I had to unplug the battery for 10 minutes for the computer to reset, but man after I did it was butter smooth. I don't know how the VQ takes to a TB cleaning though.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
I am wondering if some of my smoothness issues might be a dirty throttle body and I was thinking of giving it a cleaning but I sure don't want to mess anything up. I cleaned the throttle body on a 2007 Mustang one time that had horrible build up and after I put everything back together the car was idling at like 3,000 rpm...I had to unplug the battery for 10 minutes for the computer to reset, but man after I did it was butter smooth. I don't know how the VQ takes to a TB cleaning though.
Y
Yes.. cleaning the Tb will help smooth out idle issues.... Very simple.. Do NOT use Brake clean or the like.. Use only Tb cleaner.. Gently open the blade by hand and spray some on a micro fiber and clean the varnish off..Do not use a brush .. it is imperative you do not remove the coating inside the TB... Gently wipe away the deposits and you are set.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
Y
Yes.. cleaning the Tb will help smooth out idle issues.... Very simple.. Do NOT use Brake clean or the like.. Use only Tb cleaner.. Gently open the blade by hand and spray some on a micro fiber and clean the varnish off..Do not use a brush .. it is imperative you do not remove the coating inside the TB... Gently wipe away the deposits and you are set.
A common word in 5.5th gen Maximas was to NEVER move or open plate manually, someone is needed to push the accelerator and you wipe while it's open. Can not see how this is different in the 7th gen. OR you remove the TB from car and clean it outside (you'll need a gasket to put it back on manifold).
Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
A common word in 5.5th gen Maximas was to NEVER move or open plate manually, someone is needed to push the accelerator and you wipe while it's open. Can not see how this is different in the 7th gen. OR you remove the TB from car and clean it outside (you'll need a gasket to put it back on manifold).
I have done hundreds of Tb the way I described.. never had a issue.. They kiey is to gently open it.. If you force it open you can do some damage..
Old 04-26-2019, 01:55 PM
Made in Taiwan

Just don't move that flap at all when you're cleaning the throttle body. I find it best using WD-40 first with a brush to get all the hard gunk out. Then use Carb spray as a final touch up. Doing it this way got both sides of the flap cleaned very well without having to move it and risk any calibration offset.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:43 PM

Why bother?

New OEM:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Inject...frcectupt=true
Old 04-26-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by User1
Lol, I don't trust eBay for a headlight bulb, let alone a "Hitashee" TB
Old 04-26-2019, 08:07 PM

Lol, I don't trust eBay for a headlight bulb, let alone a "Hitashee" TB
"Ebay" doesn't produce or sell anything. It is an online auction platform. The seller of this throttle body, "thepartmonster", has been in business almost ten years, has a feedback count of over one hundred thirteen thousand and a rating of 99.2%. With Ebay policy and consumer protection behind every transaction, there would be absolutely zero hesitation by me to purchase this item, and in fact, I have. I have been an ebay seller and buyer since they launched. Savvy consumers whom abide by the caveat emptor principle rarely, if ever have issues using ebay. People who bash ebay always have some weird, drama-filled story behind their negative experience and are the type to write negative amazon reviews on a cat condo that fell apart because they don't know the difference between a phillips and a flat head and their 5lb kitten toppled it in a week. Meanwhile, I ignore negative reviews from retards, purchase anyway and build the same condo, do a proper job as well as anchor it to a wall and my fatass 25lb cat who thinks he's spiderman has been tearing up and down the thing for a year and it still stands.

Last edited by User1; 04-26-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:06 PM

Nice one user1, you definitely seem like an Amsoil guy. Good luck. Enjoy your Heetashey TB.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 PM

Nice one user1, you definitely seem like an Amsoil guy. Good luck. Enjoy your Heetashey TB.
I guess you weren't aware that Hitachi is OEM. Red Line for me, buddy.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 AM

I guess then the easiest way to do it is to just have somebody hold the pedal down with the ignition on so I don't have to risk moving it by hand...or put a brick on the pedal
Old 04-30-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
I guess then the easiest way to do it is to just have somebody hold the pedal down with the ignition on so I don't have to risk moving it by hand...or put a brick on the pedal
How do you know if the throttle body is your problem? From the sound of your posts you are just guessing. Before opening that up and more than likely causing more problems try running a bottle of BK44 through a tank of high octane top tier gasoline.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:48 PM

YES, I just had a BG treatment for my 2011 SV @ 115K miles, The treatment cleans the throttle body and all of the interior manifold. These 3.5 engines revert 40% - 50%of the spent
cylinder exhaust back into the combustion chambers. The indirect fuel injectors automatically clean the valves however, the manifold gets a lot of carbon deposit. My mechanic advised me that newer Fords and Chevy's highly recommend an intake manifold cleaning after 60K. I noticed a big difference in power after the treatment.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by waynieboy
YES, I just had a BG treatment for my 2011 SV @ 115K miles, The treatment cleans the throttle body and all of the interior manifold. These 3.5 engines revert 40% - 50%of the spent
cylinder exhaust back into the combustion chambers. The indirect fuel injectors automatically clean the valves however, the manifold gets a lot of carbon deposit. My mechanic advised me that newer Fords and Chevy's highly recommend an intake manifold cleaning after 60K. I noticed a big difference in power after the treatment.
I hope whomever gave you this info is a good friend that was just pulling your leg. 40 to 50%. Hmmm and all that hot exhaust is making it to the throttle body? When it is time to change your plugs (You must remove the intake plenum to do this and this also gives you access to the intake manifold) take a look. Here is a picture of a plug I changed at the 375,000 mile mark after 150,000 miles. All that spent exhaust would carbon the heck out of these. Looks pretty good to me. I am happy the BG treatment did work for you, but for the rest of us who don't buy into snake oil treatment, Top Tier gas has plenty of detergents to keep the valves and injectors clean.

After 150,000 miles on the plugs and 375,000 on the engine.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by waynieboy
I too would not put any additives or chemicals into my car that isn't needed, a lot of these miracle in a bottle additives are junk and do more harm than good! I changed my plugs on my 2010 a while back and they looked fine for plugs that had 110,000 miles on them, and I never used any kind of additives or cleaning agents for the TB or fuel injectors etc.