7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Battery keeps Going Dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:53 AM

Battery keeps Going Dead

Greetings,

I have a 2011 with 37000 miles on it which I leased new in 2012. In August 2015 my battery almost died on me twice after checking on here and learning our batteries might be underpowered I purchased a new battery with 100 more cold cranking amps than the stocker. The car was working fine up until last week. On Tuesday I parked the car for about 3 days and tried to the start the car and the battery was dead. The car would not turn over and the interior lights where dim. I purchased a battery booster from walmart and tried to use that which was junk I then tried to "jump" the car but by that time the battery was COMPLETELY dead.

I brought the battery to a local autozone and they charged the battery for me and said battery was "good". I then went to the dealer to find out what was causing the discharge. 130 dollars later and the only thing they could tell me was the battery was no good, so i went back to autozone to get a new one and had the OLD one tested.....battery checked out fine.

I dont know if Brockton 24 is pulling my leg or they wanted me to buy a battery from them but I am concerned this might happen again.

Has anyone else had something similar happen to them? I did have a gps plugged in but not on...I also had a penny stuck in one of the chargers which they removed other than that I dont know what could be causing this.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:31 AM

Interested in knowing this as well. I've had the same symptoms as you, if the car sits for 2 of more days the battery gets drained. Same thing that nissan said to me, it is the battery, but I think there is an underlying problem with the electrical system that something is staying on. I think it is a bad relay somewhere. I've purchased new battery and it works great, but I normally put it on it's chargers when I know the car will be sitting for a long periods, or disconnect the positive lead on the battery..
Old 10-29-2015, 10:14 AM

FYI when disconnecting your battery for storage or to stop a parasitic drain, you really only have to disconnect the negative terminal. But, if you disconnect them both the correct sequence is negative, positive and when reconnecting them it's positive then negative. I also suggest getting a battery tender and using it if the car won't be started for months at a time.

Last edited by Maxgig; 10-29-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 AM

I had the same issues immediately after buying my car brand new in 2012. I ended up getting a replacement battery from Nissan only to have it go completely dead about 6 months later. Needless to say, I ended up buying an Optima Yellow Top for about $180, and I haven't had any issues since. I even left my car parked for a month once, and with the aftermarket alarm using a small amount of juice, it still didn't drop.

I honestly think that there should have been a recall on the stock battery, tons of complaints for multiple owners overall.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:38 AM

If you have access to a GOOD clamp on ammeter, you could check the current flow out of the battery when sitting. If it shows more than a couple of hundred milliamps of draw, something is draining the battery that shouldn't be. If no doors are open, or anything else to turn on interior lights, the only thing drawing power should be the computer.