7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Another sunroof issue, of sorts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM

UPDATE: Another sunroof issue, of sorts.

gap after fully closed

Normal gap closed

I have a 2010 SV premium with the panoramic sunroof. I'm in the high desert of California and recently while washing my car I noticed that the gap between the movable sunroof glass and the front where it touches when closed was about 3/4 of an inch wide.

I opened the roof and closed it again and the gap was still there. I had to manually push the rear of the glass to make it level and flush. After driving all day and returning home I closed the roof and still had the gap.

Anyone else experience this with their car? In 12 days I'll be driving across country and I don't want the roof blowing off while I'm halfway into my trip and all the way from my dealer.

I added 2 pictures, (believe it or not I just washed the car) and as you can see the normal gap is after I pushed it closed and the gap is after the roof fully closed on its own. When the roof is fully open there is no play in it in either direction so I'm baffled as to why the gap is there after it closes. I'm hoping that its a simple fix, but i'll keep you posted when I find out.

Last edited by Maxgig; 06-18-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add pictures and more information
Old 06-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Makes me want to go check mine. I've never heard of this before...but we've heard about the one person's car that had that part of the roof fly off. I would go to the dealer to see what they say. Depending on how cool they, they may give you some insight as to what the issue may be.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:46 PM
I love lamp.

I wonder if there is a relearn feature for the sunroof....I think there was for the one touch roofs on the old 5.5 gens...maybe that is what is needed.

S
Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Be safe and get it checked. I was hearing wind from mine and water leakage, though only once. A let it slide and my glass panel flew off while I was on a major highway doing about 60.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:46 PM

pics please......... for evidence at least
Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 AM

zoemayne, I'll take some pictures today and post them. I'll definitely call my local dealer and see if they can get me in. I leave California for good on the 26th, YEA!!!! and my weekend is already planned out. I may have to go the duct tape route for my 1700 mile return trip.

Last edited by Maxgig; 06-17-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM

I made an appt for tomorrow, the service manager said he has an idea of what the problem is and they should have the parts in stock. The only problem though is that I'm out of warranty and any repairs now are out of pocket. I'm getting it fixed but I hope it's not hundreds of dollars for a broken screw or something along those lines.

Last edited by Maxgig; 06-19-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM

Yes, I have that issue. The right side sticks up about 1/8 inch but it is sealed shut. I can see it with my eyes but I don't think my phone will be able to capture it. I'm taking it in the next time at the dealer when they have the new Maximas in stock so I can take a joyride.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:11 AM

I was joking about using duct tape but I called the local Nissan dealer in Barstow where the service tech only works on Tues and Thurs. Of course he's already booked up. I explained that I was leaving the state for good in 10 days and driving 1700 miles.

When the receptionist suggested that I use duct tape to hold it down temporarily I just hung up on her. I called the other dealer 2 hours away and made my appointment for tomorrow.

This is something that I'm determined to get properly addressed before I get on the road heading home and I want Nissan to have a record of it in their system in case something happens.

I added 2 pictures to my initial post.

Last edited by Maxgig; 06-17-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:15 AM

I'm at the dealer that's 1 hr away from my house. I'm getting my oil changed, the rocking seat tsb done, having my tilt down mirrors fixed and finally my sunroof.

I thought it would be as simple as having the sunroof reset, (which has to be done by the dealer on the 7th gen). But apparently my sunroof motor and roof rails need to be replaced. For the tilt down mirrors they have to replace an actuator. I arrived at 7:00 and I'm still here, but the good thing is that my extended warranty covers the repairs. I have about 5500 miles left before I'm out of coverage, and I have to take a rental while the repairs are being made.

For $1200 I had my drivers seat motor fixed twice, a foglight replaced, my center console ipod adapter replaced and now these repairs. If you have this issue get it looked at quick.

Last edited by Maxgig; 06-18-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:47 PM
I love lamp.

$1200 in an extended warranty? or $1200 for the work on said items?

S
Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 PM

When I bought my car in 2012 I paid $1200 for the extended warranty. Those are the repairs that I've had done using it. Actually, I found my contract and I only paid $900 for the warranty, (they gave me a $300 military discount). Because the rails won't be in until tomorrow, they gave me an Altima as a loaner car and mine should be ready tomorrow.

Last edited by Maxgig; 06-18-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 PM
I love lamp.

Nice, it's already paid for itself. I had the CPO warranty but got the warranty for everything else when I bought my car. Already had my MAF issues dealt via that.

S
Old 06-19-2015, 06:55 AM

This is what happened to my car. If you look, you can see that the entire glass panel detached from the rail and panel setting.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:40 AM

Wow, I remember your original post when this happened but don't recall the outcome. What was determined to be the cause of it and what was the cost to repair it? Ironically, that's how my car looks right now, because they have to replace the aluminum sliding rails and the roof motor itself.

I can't wait to give them back their Altima. When we owned our Volvo the dealership policy was to give you a loaner that was the same type car or better than what you had in for service. That way you always had thoughts of moving up or staying with them. I've been given Altima's and Sentra's for my Maxima's and a Juke for my Murano.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 AM

Outcome was that Nissan didn't give two sh*ts about it. Refused because the car was out of warranty by a few months and my extended warranty doesn't cover glass. Had to go through my insurance company. Love the car, hate Nissan corporate with a passion. It was determined to be an issue with the adhesive which holds the glass down. Oh BTW, if you are in NJ, stay away from Meadowlands Nissan, they are a bunch of scumbags and will never do anything to help you, only themselves.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm glad they were able to help you out....your insurance company that is.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 PM

I thought the work on my car would be relatively easy but I was wrong. The tilt down actuator for my passenger mirror had to be replaced. They changed the whole mirror, now my driver says "auto dim" and the passenger says "objects smaller than actual size", I hate the mismatch.

The whole glass roof has to be replaced, $6000, because the rail is bad and it's all one piece. New zenon headlights cost $1000 each, wow. I had my oil changed and the tech removed the top engine cover and somehow broke my washer fluid bottle.

I found out it was broken about 750 miles into my farewell drive from CA, when I needed to clean the bugs off my newly replaced windshield and it wouldn't hold or shoot fluid. I made it back to KS and I have another appointment here on Tuesday to get my roof re-diagnosed and hopefully replaced.

If your roof doesn't close fully, get it looked at. I was lucky in that I still had warranty coverage, but I definitely would not have paid $6000 to replace what appears to be a perfectly good roof.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Another update

Before any diagnosis was done to my car I asked the service tech if my sunroof could just need a re-learn procedure done to it. I was told no, that the entire glass roof had to be replaced due to the rails being bad. In order to do the work they removed my windshield and headliner in order to get access to the bad parts. They were going to do the work under warranty with no problem but as I was leaving California 2 days later they had to put my car back together and I would have the work done in Kansas.

I also asked about the "rocking" driver seat, TSB and was told that it didn't apply to 2010 cars and that I would have to pay $1500 dollars out of pocket if I wanted my driver seat repaired. FF 5 days and I'm back in Kansas. I take it to the dealer, explain what my problems are and give the Nissan tech the work write up from the previous dealer.

They fixed my windshield washer bottle that the other place broke, and re-diagnosed my car. My car had been at this dealers since 29 June so I decided to personally check on it instead of wait for a phone call. I was told that they don't have to replace the entire roof after all, they did the sunroof "re-learn procedure" which fixed the problem. I was skeptical because I'm almost out of warranty and $6k for parts alone is scary. The tech said that they work on commission and would welcome a job that size but it simply was not necessary. He also said that he was going to look into the seat TSB and as best as he could remember it did apply to the 2010 Maxima, but that he would let me know as soon as he found out for sure.

I've owned lots of cars and dealt with the dealership hundreds of times, but in getting these issues addressed I've dealt with 3 different Nissan dealerships and have gotten 3 different service responses over a 19 day period. I plan on sending an email to Nissan corporate and informing them what each shop suggested and ultimately did for me during this 19 day period.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by slatemaxima
Outcome was that Nissan didn't give two sh*ts about it. Refused because the car was out of warranty by a few months and my extended warranty doesn't cover glass. Had to go through my insurance company. Love the car, hate Nissan corporate with a passion. It was determined to be an issue with the adhesive which holds the glass down. Oh BTW, if you are in NJ, stay away from Meadowlands Nissan, they are a bunch of scumbags and will never do anything to help you, only themselves.
worst dealership ever! I used to live in NJ
Old 07-07-2015, 06:35 AM

I like my Maxima but this is probably my last Nissan vehicle. I'm going back to 1960's cars and trucks with updated engines, suspension and a/c to make them more reliable and comfortable.

How can one dealership say no to a TSB and another say the TSB is covered under warranty?