7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Emergency brake light and traction control issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Emergency brake light and traction control issues?

Hey guys,
I just got a GORGEOUS 2012 Maxima with only 60k thousand miles on it. It's been having some problems though.... When I crank the wheel and accelerate it gives a weird clanking noise. We've pinned it down to the CV joint. We haven't got it fixed yet, but now every time I accelerate at all the emergency brake light is coming on. When I reach cruising speed, it goes off again. Has this happened to anybody else? Also, the traction control light is coming on. Any thoughts?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 AM

Your brake fluid is low . The Vdc light is wired into the same circuit as the fluid and Vdc for some reason . The clunk noise is the abs (sensor ) I think wearing in when its cold or activating a quick test mode when the car is cold for a split second . Check the thread mine some times does it and had 33,000 miles on her but it is going away more and more now .
Old 01-19-2015, 01:16 PM

File free online

As far as the brake light and traction light, check your brake fluid level as koreanthunda suggested. It's probably a little low. Regular DOT3 fluid is fine. Not sure on the clank/clunk. Does it happen every time you turn and accelerate? Only from a stop? Only first thing when you start driving?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:52 PM

If your brake fluid is that low then it's probably time for new brake pads as you probably don't have much meat left on them.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 PM

If brake pads are the problem, then check the rear ones first. I had to replace those at 70K miles. At 135,000 mi, the front pads are still good on my 2010. Maybe the 2012's are different. But yeah - brake light in combination with TRAC light indicate brake fluid. They are tied together.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It happens every time I have the wheel cranked all the way to the left. only to the left. It doesn't matter whether it's from start or not, as long as I'm turning at at least 4+ mph, I get clunks. possibly the wheel bearing? The brake fluid was right above minimum, but we're going to top it off. I think that will fix it.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brexmax
It happens every time I have the wheel cranked all the way to the left. only to the left. It doesn't matter whether it's from start or not, as long as I'm turning at at least 4+ mph, I get clunks. possibly the wheel bearing? The brake fluid was right above minimum, but we're going to top it off. I think that will fix it.

Yes, the fact the lights are on intermittently tells us the brake fluid is low. When the car is accelerating or decellerating, the brake fluid rushes to one end of the reservoir, leaving no fluid covering the sensor for a very brief period. As the acceleration or decelleration eases up, the fluid levels off again, covering the sensor with fluid, and the lights go out.

Brake fluid level gradually lowers as the pads wear over the years. As CorollaULEV suggested, it would be a good idea to have your rear pads checked. If the pads are OK, then you should be fine just adding brake fluid to the reservoir. If this situation happens again in less than a year, you might have the system checked to be sure you don't have a slow brake fluid leak somewhere.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
If brake pads are the problem, then check the rear ones first. I had to replace those at 70K miles. At 135,000 mi, the front pads are still good on my 2010. Maybe the 2012's are different. But yeah - brake light in combination with TRAC light indicate brake fluid. They are tied together.
Really? That's very interesting. Do you know why that is? I know our cars are good with brakes because of the engine braking but why would the rear pads wear faster than the fronts? Just curious...
Old 01-20-2015, 04:35 PM

Ya know - I really don't know the answer to that. I thought it was quite odd, myself. Other members here have reported the same.

My educated guess is:

These vehicles have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) - not uncommon on modern vehicles for past several years. Somehow, it works in combination with ABS system to detect very slight wheel slip on braking. It's able to fine tune the brake at each wheel so that brakeforce is optimized. Really what it's geared for is maximizing rear brakeforce when you have a load in the rear of the car. If you have a full trunk of luggage and 3 passengers in the rear of the car, it can detect this and will apply more brakeforce to rear wheels.

I suspect part of it may also be that the Max has a fat derriere.

That's all just an educated guess. Who really knows, but it makes sense in my mind.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 PM

I guess that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

brake light and noise

the brake fluid low is one problem, but the abs sensor i doubt it.
check for worn or loose suspension parts.