7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Remote start shortcoming

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Remote start shortcoming

Just got a remote start installed on my 2014 Max and I didn't believe what the tech was telling me until I actually tried it myself. Was hoping for them to be wrong.

What happens is that if you remote start the car and never open the door to get in, but you shut it off instead via the remote, The Lights will stay on till the battery goes dead, even if you hit UNLOCK then LOCK like in my 02 Maxima, which will shut off the lights.

And I thought that after a half hour, the lights would shut off via the car's intelligent system but they never did. So this kind of stinks. I guess, I can still let the car run for 20 min and let the timeout take over which should shut everything off but that's a nuisance.

They state its the way the controls are designed from Nissan. Yet, in my 02 it isn't like that. I understand its a different system but still, it can be done. Technology shortcomings huh.

Anyone else's behaves just like mine? I would hope so, else I got shafted.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:18 PM

How can the car not go into sleep mode if you turn car off via the remote but then disarm and rearm the system?

Sounds like BS and you'll be dealing with the parasitic drain issue etc etc I am having on my 02 right now.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 PM

I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on alarm installs and it seems like the push-to-start systems found on Nissans (and other manufacturers) present unique challenges vs. the traditional ignition systems that used a conventional key. Wondering if the issue you mentioned is another quirk of installing remote/start on a push-to-start vehicle...
Old 11-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JRod28
I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on alarm installs and it seems like the push-to-start systems found on Nissans (and other manufacturers) present unique challenges vs. the traditional ignition systems that used a conventional key. Wondering if the issue you mentioned is another quirk of installing remote/start on a push-to-start vehicle...
Since you just had a remote start installed, why not try out what the OP stated and share your experience? It would help the OP determine if this is normal, or he was told a bunch of BS.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Since you just had a remote start installed, why not try out what the OP stated and share your experience? It would help the OP determine if this is normal, or he was told a bunch of BS.
Will try it on my car and let you know if lights stay on...
Old 11-29-2014, 11:58 AM

What the guy was telling you is bogus-- probably a bad install.
I just had the Viper 5706 alarm/remote start installed on my 2014 Maxima SV.
This morning I remote started the car.
Then I walked up to the car and using the remote start button, I turned off the car. The engine and the parking lights/tail lights went off when the engine went off...
Old 11-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Administrator

^Nice. Thanks for the info.

I figured it was bogus and the installer was making excuses.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
^Nice. Thanks for the info.

I figured it was bogus and the installer was making excuses.
Hope they make it right...
Old 11-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Oh I forgot one detail. The install was performed using the stock remote keys. I didn't get a VIPER or anything like that. So it's using the factory remote keys. Perhaps this makes a difference?
Old 11-29-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 02nissmax
Oh I forgot one detail. The install was performed using the stock remote keys. I didn't get a VIPER or anything like that. So it's using the factory remote keys. Perhaps this makes a difference?
That might be what's causing the problem. Yes, it's a pain carrying 2 key fobs but I went with the Viper remote since it has an advertised range of up to 1 mile. I figured any system using the OEM fob would have a limited range and would have to be "rigged" to work with the OEM fob-- opening it up to more possible problems.

Since I am assuming that your install used a bypass unit that is compatible with the 2014 Maxima and correctly wired the remote start, my guess is that the problem has something to do with how he adapted the OEM key fob to work with your remote start.

It'd be interesting if any other forum members who have remote starts using the OEM fob are experiencing your same problem...

Last edited by JRod28; 11-30-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Just got a remote start installed on my 2014 Max and I didn't believe what the tech was telling me until I actually tried it myself. Was hoping for them to be wrong.

What happens is that if you remote start the car and never open the door to get in, but you shut it off instead via the remote, The Lights will stay on till the battery goes dead, even if you hit UNLOCK then LOCK like in my 02 Maxima, which will shut off the lights.

And I thought that after a half hour, the lights would shut off via the car's intelligent system but they never did. So this kind of stinks. I guess, I can still let the car run for 20 min and let the timeout take over which should shut everything off but that's a nuisance.

They state its the way the controls are designed from Nissan. Yet, in my 02 it isn't like that. I understand its a different system but still, it can be done. Technology shortcomings huh.

So, what remote start system are you using?

For reference, the DBALL2 that I have starts the car upon 3 clicks of the lock button.
3 more clicks of the lock button, and my car turns off, blinks the parking lights a few times to let me know why it turned off, and once done, all the lights stay off, as if it was never remote started in the first place.

While I was installing it myself and flashing/programming it to work right, I did hit the odd issue of the brake lights staying on if I pressed the brakes at any time, whether car remote started, or not, and car running or not. This however, was fixed by the re-flashing the module.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 11-29-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:42 PM

I too have the Dball2 and my lights stay on when I remote start the car and then use the remote to turn it off. Noticed it one day when I decided I wasn't going to leave for a while and I turned the car off. Looked out the window 10 Minutes later and the lights were still on! So I can confirm that if your lights do come on they will not turn off if you turn the car off via the remote.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by MK33
I too have the Dball2 and my lights stay on when I remote start the car and then use the remote to turn it off. Noticed it one day when I decided I wasn't going to leave for a while and I turned the car off. Looked out the window 10 Minutes later and the lights were still on! So I can confirm that if your lights do come on they will not turn off if you turn the car off via the remote.
Are you using the Nissan OEM key fob to run your remote start as well?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by MK33
I have a different experience on this, (as mentioned in my post), so it may be dependent on install; the parking lights are supposed to stay on only while the car is remote started. I believe if you chose to hard wire the parking lights instead of going though the Data-to-Data option, then the parking lights may not come on at all. Again, I don't know the full details what caused your lights to stay on, so I don't know wherein the problem lies.

The DBALL2 unit uses the OEM remote keyfob to turn on the car, unless you added more options to the module to make it do more things.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 AM

They installed the bypass made by Omega on my car.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:05 PM

Yep using the OEM key fob.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:56 AM

You could always just leave the lights in the off postilion instead of the Auto. Thats how my Python works too. Leaves the lights on.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM

Hi guys. Im reading what issues some of you are having because Im looking to have a car starter installed this w/e on my 2013 Max. I will be asking the installer (someone I know) about the configuring the car to have only the parking lights on when remote started and if its possible to have it run by the OEM keyfob (I dont think so though). Im looking to get (its what they have at his shop) a 2 -way Compustar with all the regular features, door lock, windows, trunk etc..
When its done Ill report back on its function and what if any issues there may be.
Thanks for the heads up with all the previous install stories and facts. Don't know if any of you are from Canada but its a necessity here if you don't park your car indoors
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 AM

02Nissmax, I just had a car starter installed about 2 weeks ago on my 2013 Max. What the installer told you is Bogus. He probably isnt experienced.
I have a compustar 2 way starter (1 mile range), does and controls everything its supposed to. If remote started and then stopped the lights do not stay on. If remote started the headlights will be on if in "auto mode" if not just the parking lights will be on. I can also remote start the car with the OEM Fob. The only issue I have to resolve is when I remote start and the parking brake is on, I get in the car wait a few seconds for the system to detect the OEM Fob step on the brake then release the parking brake, the car cuts out. When not using the parking brake the car continues running and I can depart. Not sure why this is happening but I am going to speak with the installer (friend whose company does installs for Nissan dealerships in my area).
Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:32 PM

If the lights stay on is because whoever installed it doesnt know what they're doing and doesnt follow the diagram. For autolights to turn off after the car is remote started a wire from the bypass needs to be ran which i believe in this car is to the drivers door pin but it could be somewhere else. Also a relay might be used on some cars like an infiniti ex35 that i did last week.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good information to know. I've been thinking of doing this to my car, so it's good to know this up front.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=capri66;9009881]
I have a compustar 2 way starter (1 mile range), does and controls everything its supposed to. If remote started and then stopped the lights do not stay on. If remote started the headlights will be on if in "auto mode" if not just the parking lights will be on. I can also remote start the car with the OEM Fob. The only issue I have to resolve is when I remote start and the parking brake is on, I get in the car wait a few seconds for the system to detect the OEM Fob step on the brake then release the parking brake, the car cuts out. When not using the parking brake the car continues running and I can depart. Not sure why this is happening but I am going to speak with the installer (friend whose company does installs for Nissan dealerships in my area).
Hope this helps, good luck.[/QUOTE

Here's the latest that I have experienced to relay to the OP and this thread:

1) When remote starting and opening the (any) car door the car cuts out.
2) Previous issue of the car cutting out after releasing parking brake

From the installer

Answer 1):
When approaching the car, wait a few seconds for the starter module to handoff control to the car. Then car will continue to run.

Answer 2):
Even when disengaging the parking brake the starter module does not handoff control to the car and you must restart the car manually. Apparently this has to do with the car being a push to start ( I still dont fully understand why).

If anyone can explain the logic behind this or relay any similar experiences i would be most great
1) When remote starting and opening the (any) car door the car cuts out.
2) Previous issue of the car cutting out after releasing parking brake

Answer 1):
When approaching the car, wait a few seconds for the starter module to handoff control to the car. Then car will continue to run.

Answer 2):
Even when disengaging the parking brake the starter module does not handoff control to the car and you must restart the car manually. Apparently this has to do with the car being a push to start ( I still dont fully understand why).

If anyone can explain the logic behind this or relay any similar experiences i would be most appreciative.

Last edited by capri66; 12-27-2014 at 09:16 PM.