7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Heated steering wheel switch-remain "on" when car is shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 AM

Heated steering wheel switch-remain "on" when car is shut off?

I would like to change the button for my heated steering wheel to a toggle type switch (like the heated seats) OR figure out how to have it remain "on" when I shut of the car-by this I don't mean it heats the wheel while the car is off, but rather it turns right back on when the car is turned on, like the heated seats.

I am installing a remote start system and I would like to be able to leave the heated steering wheel on when I get out of my car, so that when I remote start, it will come on when the car starts and be nice and toasty by the time I get in.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a way I can make this happen WITHOUT changing the switch. I'd like to do this while I have all the dash pieces off for installing the remote start.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 AM

Check the relay
Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 187max
Check the relay
Check it for what???? You must be trying to up your post count.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-19-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:31 PM

I have nothing to add, but I do have a question: Why?
Why go through the hassle and expense (and possible voiding of warranty/expensive repair if you mess up) so you don't have to push a conveniently located button for part of a year? Seems like a waste of effort, time and money. But I'm curious as to why.
I believe ever car with heated steering wheels requires that it be turned on each time it is to be used.
The main reason I ask is because mods bring resale values down, which is why most folks return their vehicle to stock prior to selling.
As always, do whatever you want to your car. I'm just curious why you want to go through all that hassle.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie
Why go through the hassle and expense (and possible voiding of warranty/expensive repair if you mess up) so you don't have to push a conveniently located button for part of a year? Seems like a waste of effort, time and money. But I'm curious as to why.
I believe ever car with heated steering wheels requires that it be turned on each time it is to be used.
The main reason I ask is because mods bring resale values down, which is why most folks return their vehicle to stock prior to selling.
As always, do whatever you want to your car. I'm just curious why you want to go through all that hassle.
From the OP: "so that when I remote start, it will come on when the car starts and be nice and toasty by the time I get in."
Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by saltohio
From the OP: "so that when I remote start, it will come on when the car starts and be nice and toasty by the time I get in."
I don't remote start. But I push the button and less than 10 seconds later, the wheel is nice and toasty.
So a few hours of research and wiring and the possibility of damaging the system or car to save 10 seconds? I just want to make sure I understand.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:46 PM

It is a latched switch relay.
When you press the button, it "latches" till you press it again, or it looses power.
You could replace the latch switch with a relay that is always energized when the car is on, and a separate switch to operate the on/off function.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:18 PM

I checked the switch on the way home tonight. You cannot just wire a switch in there, turn it on and leave it on. The circuit requires that the switch be closed/depressed after the vehicle is started.

Try pressing and holding the switch and then start the vehicle. The heated steering wheel will not turn on until you let go of the switch and press it again. The circuit is designed that way for a reason.

You could install a timed switch or relay to perform this function but it is really not worth it. This is one mod that is probably best not performed.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-20-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie
I'd have to agree as well--- WHY?
I live in Chicago too--- it's not Siberia though it felt like it last winter. Not that hard to flip the steering wheel heater on when you need it. Mine heats up pretty quick and gets quite toasty--- sometimes I even have to turn it off because it starts to get too warm. Not a big enough benefit to warrant taking the chance of messing something up...
Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 AM

Mine begins to heat mere seconds after I push the switch. I usually have to turn it off within a minute or two because the wheel gets uncomfortably hot.

Even though, once on, the switch light stays on until we either turn it off or turn the car off, the heat is not applied constantly. A thermostat turns the heat off and on in order to avoid dangerous overheating. If the ambient heat inside the car is over 70 degrees, the wheel heater temperature detector usually blocks the wheel heater.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:03 AM

I also find the wheel heats up VERY fast. It's none of my business what the OP wants to do to the car, but please consider that if any changes to the wiring cause a problem....and God forbit your car burns to the ground...I'd be asking myself why I bothered.

Having said my peace, I fully accept that any owner can modify their car to suit their wishes, except if those mods place others in danger. No adding oil slick, marble discharge chute or extendable axle tire schredders please! Ejection seats are usually okay by me, as I have them in all my rides.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:46 PM

I absolutely understand what the OP is wanting to do and why he wants to do it. I thought of the same thing for myself because I remote start and the car is warm but steering wheel is freezing. The steering wheel does heat up but definitely not in 10 seconds.I can feel it getting warmer quickly but it usually takes 2-4 minutes before its where I want it to be and when you have freezing hands, sooner is better than later. This MOD is not something I personally would try reading the above posts. Too much work for not that huge of a deal.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
It is a latched switch relay.
When you press the button, it "latches" till you press it again, or it looses power.
You could replace the latch switch with a relay that is always energized when the car is on, and a separate switch to operate the on/off function.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I will do some investigating, and see if I can make this work.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jayd241
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I will do some investigating, and see if I can make this work.
Keep us posted on if you can or what you decide to try. I must admit though, mine warms up literally within 20 seconds and is hot within 40 seconds. I do understand though, i used to live in Ohio where it reached 20 below, but now being in vegas, huge difference. So taking that into account, i can see it taking a few mins for you east coasters to get it to warm. Once again, good luck. :-D.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 PM

You know you got a real tough life when your steering wheel heating switch light won't go off. lol

But I have this option and love it but I have yet to use it even though it's winter hell here right now.