7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

RSA-2s...Just how bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:25 AM

RSA-2s...Just how bad?

Sup guys, I can get a hold of a set of RSA-2s in 245/45/19 for dirt cheap brand new ( less than $450). I currently have a set of Hankook V12 on for summer and I need something for the winter. A dedicated winter tire would be great but I cant even find used winter tires in 19 inch for less than what I can pick up these new RSAs.

What do you guys think? Most of my commute is interstate so even if it snows, the streets would be some what paved.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 PM

I've had my 19" RS'As for 3 winters, and find them quite adequate for driving on snow, slush and rain. Through they are not the best tire for winter driving, good winter driving expertise will make up the difference.

In 50 years of driving I have never felt the need to change over to winter treads. Granted there are those time where the snow is so deep that venturing out would be really dumb, but on a few inches of snow or snow covered plowed roads the RS'As have done all right.

I am in the small minority here, where most will say they are crap. Those people probably drive their cars on the edge of the tire's performance envelope and for those there are better tires out there for that sort of thing.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM

That is a good deal. go for it. My RSA's handled fine in last years snow and ice. Just need to slow down when driving in winter conditions regardless of the tires.

I believe the OEM RSA's on the SV Sport are 245/35/19 , the bit of extra height is probably a good thing especially when you hit a pothole.

Last edited by Nopike; 10-31-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 PM

I had the OEM RSAs on before the Hankooks but they were towards the end of there life. The Size on mine where 245/40/19 so I hope the 245/45s will absorb the road a little better.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I've had my 19" RS'As for 3 winters, and find them quite adequate for driving on snow, slush and rain. Through they are not the best tire for winter driving, good winter driving expertise will make up the difference.

In 50 years of driving I have never felt the need to change over to winter treads. Granted there are those time where the snow is so deep that venturing out would be really dumb, but on a few inches of snow or snow covered plowed roads the RS'As have done all right.

I am in the small minority here, where most will say they are crap. Those people probably drive their cars on the edge of the tire's performance envelope and for those there are better tires out there for that sort of thing.
I have to admit that reading negative posts about these tires have made me apprehensive about facing my first Chicago winter in my 2014 Maxima. Thanks for the feedback... caution & common sense will never be replaced by tires--- regardless of the type.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:22 PM

I have faced many a Chicago winter on RSA's. They came as OEM on my 1998 Maxima SE and I made the mistake of putting on a second pair when the originals wore out. My 2014 Sport also came with RSA's. I drove on those through last years brutal winter. I'm sure there are better tires but I can't say that I ever had an issue with them.

My 98SE with 16" rims would go through 6-8 inches of snow like nobody's business. Of course that was due to the front wheel drive and the fact that the tires had a higher aspect ratio than the ones that come on the 7th Gens.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-02-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 AM
RR5

Tirerack.com has the winter performance of the RS-A slightly under the Continental DWS which I had on my 2002 and was able to climb hills in light snow without any trouble. Of note there is a newer model of the DWS but I almost dropped off my feet when Discount tire gave me an estimate for the DWS in the 19" size.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
I have faced many a Chicago winter on RSA's. They came as OEM on my 1998 Maxima SE and I made the mistake of putting on a second pair when the originals wore out. My 2014 Sport also came with RSA's. I drove on those through last years brutal winter. I'm sure there are better tires but I can't say that I ever had an issue with them.

My 98SE with 16" rims would go through 6-8 inches of snow like nobody's business. Of course that was due to the front wheel drive and the fact that the tires had a higher aspect ratio than the ones that come on the 7th Gens.
Gonna keep my fingers crossed this winter and keep a light foot on the accelerator and hope all goes well. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 AM

The only time I use sport mode is in the winter. I use it to keep me in "low gear" for starts and stops when it gets slick or the snow gets deep.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM

The very first day I got my 2013 SV, I had to drive to Toronto, on the way home we had a significant snowstorm (March eh) I was pretty scared about how the max would perform without snows...but I was really impressed with how the RSA's performed.

The roads were bad, but gentle acceleration and braking with light touch were all event free. I've not had any concerns about the RSA's for any other weather situations. IMHO, these tires are just fine ~ I don't get why they are so poorly rated around here?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by KGMtech
The very first day I got my 2013 SV, I had to drive to Toronto, on the way home we had a significant snowstorm (March eh) I was pretty scared about how the max would perform without snows...but I was really impressed with how the RSA's performed.

The roads were bad, but gentle acceleration and braking with light touch were all event free. I've not had any concerns about the RSA's for any other weather situations. IMHO, these tires are just fine ~ I don't get why they are so poorly rated around here?
I have wondered the same. I replaced my RS-As at 46K, simply so I would have deeper grooves for freeway driving in the rain. Those tires never neded rebalancing (even though I drove them well over the speed limit at times), and were rotated only at 15K and 30K, and the car never needed realignment.

So when I replaced them last month, I was offered a special deal, so chose RS-As again, and saved hundreds of bucks over the DWS Contis I had been eyeing. These new RS-As are riding very smoothly, react to steering very nicely, and I really like them.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Oh the RSA's are smooth. No doubt about it. In every other aspect, they are just the worst tire I have ever driven on. Aweful junk, they are. Coming from someone who has recked as a result of hydroplaning, standing water is pretty terrifying for me when driving. The DWS's have been just awesome....even when they are severely worn and ready for replacement, they resist hydroplaning. The RSA's are just plain scary. No bueno! Can't attest to snow traction, but wet traction is horrific. I once fishtailed at 10mph with those tires. I got a new set of DWS's the next day. My dealership has a special, but 3 get 1 free....and guess what - no way Jose.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 PM

The stock RSA'a have served me well even in light snow but at 32K the wet weather performance began to suffer due to thread wear.
The new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's are a huge improvement driving in Seattle's wet weather conditions. Excellent stopping, cornering, and no hint of hydroplaning what so ever. No comparison to the RSA's, even when they were new.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have wondered the same. I replaced my RS-As at 46K, simply so I would have deeper grooves for freeway driving in the rain. Those tires never neded rebalancing (even though I drove them well over the speed limit at times), and were rotated only at 15K and 30K, and the car never needed realignment.

So when I replaced them last month, I was offered a special deal, so chose RS-As again, and saved hundreds of bucks over the DWS Contis I had been eyeing. These new RS-As are riding very smoothly, react to steering very nicely, and I really like them.
I have heard that the GY RSA's that come on a new car are of much lesser quality than the replacement version of the RSA that you buy at the tire store. Same name, different quality tire. Not sure if that is true, but I have been told that more than once by nissan service and as well as various tire dealers.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:58 PM

I had RSA's from the factory until last week when i decided with 34000 miles i wanted new tires for the winter, i bought GY Assurance Comfort Treads which got very good reviews from Tire Rack. That being said the RSA's did well for me last winter when we had snow every other day it seemed for a while, hopefully the Comfort Treads will give me as good if not better service than the original tires. The RSA's are rated for 40,000 miles and the new tires are rated for 70,000 miles.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:30 PM

RSAs are complete **** I have just under 8000 miles and with slight rain yesterday doing no more than 8-10mph around a slight turn in a light rain I started sliding off the road will be replacing these way before they're supposed to be.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Agree they are not good. I have had 4 Maximas and the RSA tire are terrible in rain. It's obvious when you take a 90 degree turn at slow speed and the front washes away very quickly in inclement weather. It also doesn't help to have a high horsepower front wheel drive that can easily create torque steer which when it's wet is dangerous. All this while driving properly and not like you stole it! I have put conti DWS on my past four and wow what a difference. It improves noise, vibration, ride even if you loose a little steering feedback. And I mean a little. Great tire the Conti's.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 AM

I think a lot of people who are saying "the rsa's have been perfectly adequate for me" haven't actually tried winter tires. They make a huge difference. On my last car ('98 civic) I had all-seasons and winter tires which I would switch between for the winter season. They made a night and day difference. I now do the same with my maxima and the difference is even greater.

Those who say "I make up for so-so tires with good winter driving techniques" are right about proper cautious driving being critical. Obviously. But, they're wrong in thinking that they can do just as well as they would with winter tires.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 AM

The RSA's are so bad when it's wet. I was washing my car this morning and it slid down my driveway.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-08-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM

The RSA's are so bad when it's wet. I was washing my car this morning and it slid down my driveway.
lmao
Old 11-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Well I spent $482 after tax on the tires. These are the RSA-2s. Looking at the tread pattern, they look more aggresive than the Regular RSAs. I will be getting them put on on monday and try to snap pics of the tires Vs the Old RSAs.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Old 11-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by nopike
the rsa's are so bad when it's wet. I was washing my car this morning and it slid down my driveway.
+1
Old 11-08-2014, 01:53 PM

Serpent I agree with you for the most part but it's not just snow... Ice and most frequently rain since some people live in warmer climates. These RSA tires in rain are some of the worst I've ever driven. Grooves, sidewall height, width are all unique to optimum grip in each type of weather.
As far as driving style, if people drive like a ****** in snow or ice with great tires, the only difference will make for a bigger accident because of a higher rate of speed. Driver not tire makes the most important aspect of driving in bad weather...period.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ha!

Seriously though, the RSA's leave a lot to be desired...even in dry weather.