7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Getting tuned need another mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 PM

I'm having Cinmotorsports tune my car in 2 weeks. I'd like to add one last mod before he tunes it. What do you guys suggest? Below say $250.
Currently as far as engine mods I have an AEM cold air kit, Racingline Y-pipe, and that's it.
Have any of you changed your thermostat? An easy way to make power is to make it run cooler. So I put 2 bottles of Water Wetter in the radiator after I fully drained the radiator. Then topped it off with water.
I'm gonna have him (tuner) make the fans come on sooner. Stock they come on at 209 degrees.

Give me some mod ideas on mods pls
Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 PM

Stillen under drive pulley
Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 PM

Stillen UD pulley
Cxj block off plates
Cxj intake and TB spacers
Aam exhaust
Old 07-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Ummmm...What tuning device do you have installed in your Max?

And do you have a test pipe?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by WiSeGuY187
Stillen UD pulley
Cxj block off plates
Cxj intake and TB spacers
Aam exhaust
I've heard that the BOP actually hurt power on this intake. Spacers are a waste of money because our intakes are made of plastic not aluminum like the older models. So they don't heat soak.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Ummmm...What tuning device do you have installed in your Max?

And do you have a test pipe?
I don't have a "tuning device installed" . Cinmotorsports in Charlotte NC is going to tune it using Uprev software.
Yes I have a "test pipe" that eliminates the 3rd cat. Not the upstream cats. Would need headers for that.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Headers and a single 3" exhaust would net the best performance.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Racerbox77
I've heard that the BOP actually hurt power on this intake. Spacers are a waste of money because our intakes are made of plastic not aluminum like the older models. So they don't heat soak.
You still add torque and HP with the Spacers. I can honestly attest to this because before this mod when I floored it I didn't feel torque steer. After the mod when I test drove the car I felt the torque steer.

The BOP are probably not worth it. But in regards to the Spacers, they do help with heat even though they won't make as big a difference as the 6th gen and older.

Also the Stillen UDP and a bigger piping exhaust will make a big difference with a tune
Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Car is at Cinmotorsports now. I pick it up tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In for the results!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 AM

only this guy would argue with a dyno sheet lol. the spacers definitely help, they increase runner length allowing more room for air. but you're more than welcome to skip as many mods as you'd like before your tune.

Last edited by Ghozt; 08-02-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

spacers are a waste, good job.

Originally Posted by Ross2893
You still add torque and HP with the Spacers. I can honestly attest to this because before this mod when I floored it I didn't feel torque steer. After the mod when I test drove the car I felt the torque steer.

The BOP are probably not worth it. But in regards to the Spacers, they do help with heat even though they won't make as big a difference as the 6th gen and older.

Also the Stillen UDP and a bigger piping exhaust will make a big difference with a tune

nope....spacers are nothing but a product designed for suckers to buy it and then the placebo effect kicks in and you think you "feel" a result so you dont realize you spent money for no reason.

Originally Posted by Ghozt
only this guy would argue with a dyno sheet lol. the spacers definitely help, they increase runner length allowing more room for air. but you're more than welcome to skip as many mods as you'd like before your tune.
and simple physics argues that for you to actually achieve this effect the spacer would need to so long that it no longer becomes practical, and even then the gains are minimal. this has been tested and proven.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by lolyourallslow

nope....spacers are nothing but a product designed for suckers to buy it and then the placebo effect kicks in and you think you "feel" a result so you dont realize you spent money for no reason.

and simple physics argues that for you to actually achieve this effect the spacer would need to so long that it no longer becomes practical, and even then the gains are minimal. this has been tested and proven.
wrong. tested and proven on the dyno that there are gains. gotta love this idiot forum, so much misinformation these days.

Last edited by Ghozt; 08-03-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:08 AM

wrong. tested and proven on the dyno that there are gains. gotta love this idiot forum, so much misinformation these days.
People always doubting the ghozt
Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
People always doubting the ghozt
you can doubt me all you want lol, it was dyno'd and has measurable gains. smh
Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM

Noob has two posts; what did you expect?

At least he picked a great name
Old 08-03-2014, 08:33 AM

lol you just joined this forum. What forum did you belong to before this that showed you that they were a waste?

According to physics it's impossible for a bee to fly lol

Just like Ghozt theories can be wrong but numbers don't lie!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Pretty clear that this dude just joined to start problems.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 PM

^^ wow can't we get along lol.

Getting back to my tune. I had it there last weekend but unfortunately I left with a stock tune. He couldn't get the throttle cut to turn off. Basically the car made more power on the dyno but on the street it sounded like the trans was slipping. I could hear a whine when floored and it felt slower not faster. So he's going to contact Uprev for some help.
Right now I'm very unhappy with the whole thing. I actually thought about selling it. But after a wash I fell back in love even tho its slow after 80 mph, lol.

Name:  IMAG0890.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  114.4 KB
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Your ride came along nicely....looks great! Hopefully you guys can figure out what's going on. You should PM Ghozt to see what things he did with his tune(s).
Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 AM

^^ wow can't we get along lol.

Getting back to my tune. I had it there last weekend but unfortunately I left with a stock tune. He couldn't get the throttle cut to turn off. Basically the car made more power on the dyno but on the street it sounded like the trans was slipping. I could hear a whine when floored and it felt slower not faster. So he's going to contact Uprev for some help.
Right now I'm very unhappy with the whole thing. I actually thought about selling it. But after a wash I fell back in love even tho its slow after 80 mph, lol.

You know, when I called a tune shop back in December I was told that on some Maximas there was something on the line of a throttle cut and he then informed me that he could not tune those cars. I'm not sure if it's limited to the newer Maximas or just a limited number.

Either way if that's the case that really sucks because I'm not sure what else there would be to do.

Good luck man
Old 08-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
You know, when I called a tune shop back in December I was told that on some Maximas there was something on the line of a throttle cut and he then informed me that he could not tune those cars. I'm not sure if it's limited to the newer Maximas or just a limited number.

Either way if that's the case that really sucks because I'm not sure what else there would be to do.

Good luck man
sounds like shops just don't know how to dyno tune a CVT. the place mine was done has tuned several 7GM's now no problem. if they really need help and are authorized Uprev dealers/tuners they can call Uprev for help.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM

sounds like shops just don't know how to dyno tune a CVT. the place mine was done has tuned several 7GM's now no problem. if they really need help and are authorized Uprev dealers/tuners they can call Uprev for help.

No the place is UpRev licensed and claim that they have dyno'd and dyno tuned many cvt Maximas no problem (idk if I believe that part about the dyno) but he did inform that on Maximas he did run into the throttle cut problem and he was never able to tune those cars because they wouldn't accept the tune.

Hopefully UpRev has a fix to this because this was around Decmber/February
Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 PM

i was gonna ask if its a prob with newer maximas but yours is a 2010 according to your profile on the left. weird, havent heard this before.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 AM

i was gonna ask if its a prob with newer maximas but yours is a 2010 according to your profile on the left. weird, havent heard this before.
Yeah mine is 2010 but when Racerbox said that it just reminded me of what the tune shop told me so I'm wondering if it is something in the newer Maximas.

If so, hopefully UpRev realizes this and comes out with a solution
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM

the sad part is......for the most part, he is right.

Spacers will do nothing for a 7th gen's plastic IM. Only physical internal Manifold mods will do something.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
the sad part is......for the most part, he is right. Spacers will do nothing for a 7th gen's plastic IM. Only physical internal Manifold mods will do something.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM

How much power did he gain a whopping 3whp that was probably due to conditions of that day. I would be willing to put down money that spacers are not gonna do anything for the 7th gens IM if you dyno the car first stock, install the spacer and dyno again on the same day with in an hr of each other.

Increasing the length of the runner is going to do nothing for power uptop. It will optimize your torque down low but you want shorter free flowing runners to make power. Increasing their length is the opposite of what you actually want. That's why the stock IM has variable runners it, switches to SHORT runners at high rpm not making them longer. So that increased runner length is BS when talking about making more peak hp.

The 5th and 6th gens are different in the spacer greatly effects the temperature of the manifold. So keeping it cooler is what helps it RESIST heat soak NOT gain power. Only the RWD IM spacer actually increases the plenum volume so they see more power because of it.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
How much power did he gain a whopping 3whp that was probably due to conditions of that day. I would be willing to put down money that spacers are not gonna do anything for the 7th gens IM if you dyno the car first stock, install the spacer and dyno again on the same day with in an hr of each other.

Increasing the length of the runner is going to do nothing for power uptop. It will optimize your torque down low but you want shorter free flowing runners to make power. Increasing their length is the opposite of what you actually want. That's why the stock IM has variable runners it, switches to SHORT runners at high rpm not making them longer. So that increased runner length is BS when talking about making more peak hp.

The 5th and 6th gens are different in the spacer greatly effects the temperature of the manifold. So keeping it cooler is what helps it RESIST heat soak NOT gain power. Only the RWD IM spacer actually increases the plenum volume so they see more power because of it.
This is 100% accurate and basically says what I said initially.
Not knocking anyone but some just are not going to believe.

I did get an answer about the throttle cut from Omar @ Uprev. He said in my Rom and I'm assuming all 7th gens there is a setting to turn off "electronic throttle" . But that will make the car extremely touchy. So the tuner has to alter the throttle settings after disabling the electronic throttle.
He also said since he's been there (4 yrs) he's only delt with 1 other 7th gen Maxima personally. He's in tech as well. So he basically said they're not going to do anymore to the software for our cars because of the lack of interest. He also didn't know that the throttle cuts after 80 mph until I told him that it's been proven by me and the tuner. He only knew about the no WOT until 30mph.
Hopefully Cinmotorsports will have time to do this soon for me. I'll keep this updated.

Last edited by Racerbox77; 08-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:06 PM

So our cars are restricted up to 30 mph and again after 80?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Yes 40% throttle
Old 08-06-2014, 02:59 PM

That's a crime.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:10 PM

What happens when its unrestricted?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
What happens when its unrestricted?
High 9's in the quarter mile and whiplash.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
High 9's in the quarter mile and whiplash.

Ha!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 PM

from what I know the throttle setting is ETC (electronic throttle control) and yes when turned off your throttle is touchy. When off if you floor it the throttle goes a true 100 percent at anyspeed. I would install a auxiliary transmission cooler if you have this off because the cvt is going to get hot. Im going to get my car tuned soon also (Altima 3.5se cvt). I wonder if the tuner can setup the software so u can turn on/off ETC by the cruise control button and what not, so that way your not living with a touchy throttle. When you want to do pulls or race u can turn it off on the fly so you get true full throttle.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM

That would actually be nice if you could do that.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 PM

This is 100% accurate and basically says what I said initially.
Not knocking anyone but some just are not going to believe.

I did get an answer about the throttle cut from Omar @ Uprev. He said in my Rom and I'm assuming all 7th gens there is a setting to turn off "electronic throttle" . But that will make the car extremely touchy. So the tuner has to alter the throttle settings after disabling the electronic throttle.
He also said since he's been there (4 yrs) he's only delt with 1 other 7th gen Maxima personally. He's in tech as well. So he basically said they're not going to do anymore to the software for our cars because of the lack of interest. He also didn't know that the throttle cuts after 80 mph until I told him that it's been proven by me and the tuner. He only knew about the no WOT until 30mph.
Hopefully Cinmotorsports will have time to do this soon for me. I'll keep this updated.
Doesn't that mean that you won't be able to use cruise control?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:34 PM

yes you will lose cruise control since its part of the throttle system
Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 AM

Doesn't make sense that for him to get a regular tune that he has to disable the ETC.

Quick Reply: Getting tuned need another mod