7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Getting the "factory" DRL's working

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Getting the "factory" DRL's working

I like the idea of DRL's for increased visibility and safety. I was looking at the Nissan FSM section related to DRL's. It shows that Nissan powers the two high beam lights at reduced power for use as DRL's by wiring them in series. My understanding is that this is how Canadian Maxima's are wired for DRL's.

The DRL circuit actually looks pretty simple and I have little doubt that I can get this working. The circuit consists of a DRL relay, a fuse for the DRL relay and the wiring running to the high beams. The DRL relay is not installed in my vehicle but I can easily purchase one. Running the correct wiring to the high beams should not be a big deal either.

The DRL relay is controlled by the IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module). I doubt that Nissan would bother to delete the DRL function from this module for US vehicles. If they did I will just wire up a manual switch, have the low beam circuit turn the DRL's off or even do both.

I was debating posting until after I have actually performed this modification. But decided that others who have some knowledge of vehicle wiring and electronics may have an interest in helping me perform this modification or do it to their own vehicles.

Regardless I'll post again when I make some progress.

Last edited by Nopike; 07-02-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Made some progress.

First of all Nissan does not include the DRL control circuit in US vehicles. At least not in my vehicle. Bummer because this mod would be much easier to perform if they did. I will purchase a single pole double throw relay and a DRL control module and make my own control circuit.

I now have hi beams wired as DRL's just like those on Canadian Maxima's. If you have some wiring/electrical background it is actually a pretty simple mod. This applies 50% power to both high beams. Name:  DRLs018_zps81d96830.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  99.0 KB

I accessed the drivers side high beam socket but I think it works just the same if you use the passenger side. There are two wires running to the hi beam socket. I cut the black ground wire. If you apply battery voltage to the black wire the two high beams will light at 50% power. If you apply ground to the black wire the hi beams will function as normal. I will use a relay to switch between the battery voltage and ground. The relay will be controlled with a DRL module.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-12-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:06 PM

Nice! Congrats! Now, we need a detailed write-up/how-to....
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Thanks! I will do that once I get the DRL control circuit installed. Currently the DRL's are under manual control. I wanted to see what they would look like before I installed the control circuit.

Last edited by Nopike; 07-06-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:32 AM

I have a Canadian spec Maxima and I took the fuse out so I wouldn't see the ugly yellow drl's!
But it's great too see you be able to add it to a Maxima that didn't have the option.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Thanks! I agree, the color is not what I would like. But those hi beams make very effective DRL's. Wish I could change that but any high beam bulb that you put in there and run at half power will probably look like that. I believe that yellow/orangish color is actually more visible than a normal white bulb would be in daylight. Maybe I will try some hi beam bulbs in the blue or purple range, they may look whiter at 50% power.

I have not seen any aftermarket DRL's, including the Phillips ones, that appeal to me. I don't want the DRL's to look like something that was obviously added to the vehicle. If anyone has some good suggestions I would certainly consider them. All I have to do is hook that black wire back to any ground and the hi beams will work normally.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-12-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by Nopike
Thanks! I will do that once I get the DRL control circuit installed. Currently the DRL's are under manual control. I wanted to see what they would look like before I installed the control circuit.
Hey i've been searching all over for this answer. Can you help me with a how to? I want to get DRL functionality but use it with some headlights with a dedicated DRL tube. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:32 AM

I would like to help but my second post in this thread provides most of the information you might need to do this modification. If that is not detailed enough you may need to find someone with some electrobnics background to help you.