7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Lease (and warranty) are almost up. I might keep it. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 AM

Lease (and warranty) are almost up. I might keep it. What would you do?

I leased my SV w/ Sport & Tech packages in August 2011. It was the car the sales manager got to drive daily and had 6000 miles on it so I got a killer deal. Now I've got 2 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty and 5 months left on the lease and I might just buy it. Ive had no issues with it and due to a change that allowed me to work exclusively from home, I'll have about 15,000 less miles on it at lease end then allowed. I can be at 45k but will only have 30k. NADA shows it at over $26,000 & I can buy it for under $20,000.

I haven't been on the forum much lately because I've had no problems and couldn't "tweak" too many things since I was leasing. If I decide to keep it, is there anything I should double check before the warranty runs out?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 AM

Once I get close to my 100k warranty expires, i will sell/trade my car. No way in HELL I am going to pay out of pocket for cvt issues. I know they say maximas can run forever, but this generation I don't will hang long after 100k.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 AM

If you really like the car, have had no problems, will be able to get it for under 20,000 then I say keep it.

You can still, however, give it back and look for something else (like an Infiniti M37S). :-)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:57 AM

A $20k balloon isn't too bad, but as stated above, the 7th gens do have the sadly plagued CVT transmission that could be a VERY costly repair if it lets go on you outside of powertrain warranty. So, in the immediate sense, you're in a really good position to choose either way, but I would be very aware of when you start getting close to the end of the powertrain warranty and off load it before it runs out.

Since you're looking for opinions, if it were my decision, I would give it back to them and go for a G37S or the like. Another option though is to buy it out and then use it as a trade in for something else given the value of the car versus what the loan would be to cover the balloon. You could potentially come out with a nice $2k or so in equity towards whatever you decide to get next.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
A $20k balloon isn't too bad, but as stated above, the 7th gens do have the sadly plagued CVT transmission that could be a VERY costly repair if it lets go on you outside of powertrain warranty. So, in the immediate sense, you're in a really good position to choose either way, but I would be very aware of when you start getting close to the end of the powertrain warranty and off load it before it runs out.

Since you're looking for opinions, if it were my decision, I would give it back to them and go for a G37S or the like. Another option though is to buy it out and then use it as a trade in for something else given the value of the car versus what the loan would be to cover the balloon. You could potentially come out with a nice $2k or so in equity towards whatever you decide to get next.
Wait. What do you mean the 7th gens have a sadly plagued CVT? I never heard about that. Is it similar to the transmission problems on the 6th gens or does it not affect as many people?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Yeah, the thought of only having 21 months left of transmission warranty is my biggest concern. It's sad that the long tranny warranty stopped at 2010. I assume extending the warranty would run at least $1500 and replacing the tranny closer to $4000. If I buy the warranty, it will never get used, but if I don't, the tranny will go.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 AM

Regarding the CVT issues, I don't recall seeing a lot of people with higher mileages having issues. It seems that if it's going to break it will early on. I have 120k on my 09' and no issues at all. I know a lot of others have more mileage so maybe they can comment.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by NCSUpilot
Regarding the CVT issues, I don't recall seeing a lot of people with higher mileages having issues. It seems that if it's going to break it will early on. I have 120k on my 09' and no issues at all. I know a lot of others have more mileage so maybe they can comment.
Yeah and Car Complaints shows very few reports of issues after the CVT started being used. Those spikes in 04-06 were primarily transmission issues.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 PM

First I have heard of cvt issues being common on the Maxima. True for Altima and Pathfinder, but not the Max.

In regard to buying or turning in your 2011- it sounds like a great opportunity to purchase a car you are familiar with, that you like, and that you know has a problem free history. And at a good price. That is not always the case. I'd say keep it.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by NCSUpilot
This is what I've seen as well. But being at 30k currently, it's still early in it's life, and, for me, it's not a risk I'd be willing to take. I worked for Nissan back in 06 when the CVT first came out and some of the brand new cars were being sent back by the dealers for a burning smell and slipping from the transmissions. It wasn't a huge deal since the cars hadn't yet reached customers so Nissan had a chance to fix them first, but I believe the newer CVT trannys are a product of an attempt to fix whatever that problem may have been, and it has worked for some and been catastrophic for others. Nissan is my first love when it comes to cars, but I personally just don't trust it to stay together for an average lifespan.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mlang2000
Yeah and Car Complaints shows very few reports of issues after the CVT started being used. Those spikes in 04-06 were primarily transmission issues.

This is truer than true! This is gospel! That 2004 was a nightmare!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 AM

I got a coupon in the mail from Nissan for a free oil change so I went in this morning for one and asked the service guy about transmission issues. He said he hasn't seen a single 7th gen Maxima need a new one there. He knew of a couple Rogue's that did in their first year, but that was it.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I got a coupon in the mail from Nissan for a free oil change so I went in this morning for one and asked the service guy about transmission issues. He said he hasn't seen a single 7th gen Maxima need a new one there. He knew of a couple Rogue's that did in their first year, but that was it.
That would make more sense. I have never heard of anyone complaining about the transmission. I thought the CVT was and is a solid transmission.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM

I've been on this 7th gen section a few years and I can say the CVT failures are rare. You can check the "CVT" thread and there are probably only about a dozen? people who've had a failure. That being said I would not keep the car. Ultimately it's still mechanical and will probably fail before the engine or any other major component. I just dont like the fact that its $7k to fix.... Lets say I put 250,000 miles on the car and its worth nothing.. I would be forced to pay $7k and keep the car. I dont understand why it costs so much as CVTs have been out for a while and Tranny shops still don't fix them. Its not even doing its main job of increasing the mpgs.....
Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 AM

So you are coming to end of lease. Did you know you can extend your lease month by month up to 6 month's - same monthly payment. I have done this in the past as I waited for the newest Maxima to be released. All you need to do is call Nissan Financial and explain to them you would like to extend lease. They will explain you options. I done this
twice and never ran into any issues -

Randy
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
So you are coming to end of lease. Did you know you can extend your lease month by month up to 6 month's - same monthly payment. I have done this in the past as I waited for the newest Maxima to be released. All you need to do is call Nissan Financial and explain to them you would like to extend lease. They will explain you options. I done this
twice and never ran into any issues -

Randy
I'm not waiting for the new Maxima simply because I can't justify that much of a car if I'm only averaging 3000-4000 miles/year now. Sometimes 4-5 days go by before I have to drive anywhere. I'd rather just hang on to this or lease a lesser car.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 PM

If you buy the car to trade it in and hope to make $$ I would do some research 1st.

I traded my 2013 SV in 2013 with 4K miles and got ~ $24K as a trade towards a new G37.

You will be trading a 3 year old car with no warranty which may not even be the current body style come August.

I would do the deal and then buy the car if there is some $$ to be made.

GL
Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 PM

If I keep it, it will be to drive for at least 2-4 more years, not to flip it right away.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:15 PM

I wonder if they'd throw in a warranty that would likely never cost them anything as an incentive for me to buy it vs. them auctioning it off.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 PM

I wonder if they'd throw in a warranty that would likely never cost them anything as an incentive for me to buy it vs. them auctioning it off.
You have a better shot at them nickle and diming you for everything they can than them giving you something to buy it.

If you buy or lease another car they are very forgiving, if not they want to get paid.

This has been my experience as I use to lease corporate cars for execs at a fortune 500 company.

Lease also usually have disposition fees
Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM

I'd buy the car off the lease and not worry about non-existent possible warranty problems. I would not buy an extended warranty. Watch out for dealer conversion fees and more add-on doc fees.
I've been buying cars for 54 years and the two Maximas we have had (2007 and 2012) were/are the most trouble free cars I've owned.
Best of luck.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Torchcorvette
I'd buy the car off the lease and not worry about non-existent possible warranty problems. I would not buy an extended warranty. Watch out for dealer conversion fees and more add-on doc fees.
I've been buying cars for 54 years and the two Maximas we have had (2007 and 2012) were/are the most trouble free cars I've owned.
Best of luck.
Good point. All the what-ifs won't necessarily be applicable now especially since so many complain of minute (mostly aesthetic) problems with the car. Let's not worry about the problems that don't exist. I still say keep it.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Pretty sure you can call Nissan directly and buy it out without going to the dealer to have fees added
Old 06-21-2014, 08:26 AM

I have a few more months to decide between paying more per month to keep this with no warranty or less per month to lease a new car with a full warranty.

I'll have my eye on various 2015 sedans, but because I'm only driving less than 4000 miles a year while working from home, I'll probably stay in the $30k-$33k MSRP price range if I lease again. Like a loaded Altima, Accord, Fusion, Legacy, 200, Charger, 6, Camry, Sonata...