7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Bluetooth Steaming Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Bluetooth Steaming Audio Question

Hi All,

I searched through the forum and didn't find a clear answer. I just bought a 2012 Maxima SV and am pretty disappointed it didn't have the Bluetooth audio steaming option. I have the 9 speaker Bose setup, leather interior, back up cam, and satellite radio. I don't have navigation which from what I read comes with Bluetooth steaming audio.

I'm looking for an alternative to get the Bluetooth steaming audio to work with my Galaxy S4 in my Max. Can I just buy an aftermarket part to make this work in my Max? I do have the USB and RCA inputs in my center arm console. Is it a better option to use these inputs and find an adapter for my phone?

Any suggestions and links to items you recommend are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Search "Blackberry Music Gateway"..... great little device and will solve your issue. I use one daily while I stream Pandora to my '13 SV Sport.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by kruegs
Search "Blackberry Music Gateway"..... great little device and will solve your issue. I use one daily while I stream Pandora to my '13 SV Sport.
I thought about purchasing that but it does the audio sound as clear as when you use the inputs in the center console?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Wait, we have that option? I searched far and wide for that option. I ended up buying one of those FM transmitters for my Android. It sucks too. So, guess I gotta look around again? I wonder how I missed it...
Old 05-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I thought about purchasing that but it does the audio sound as clear as when you use the inputs in the center console?
There are always the concern of the compression, and it is even more prevalent through Bluetooth. As far as I know, the Blackberry does not utilize the latest compression that Bluetooth streaming has to offer as it is still on AD2P. aptX is capable of streaming up to 384 kbps, and most CD rips (read: ahem, torrents) are at 320 kbps compared to AD2P at maximum 328 kbps. There are also other benefits as reduced lag and a whole laundry list of stuff. However, the bottom line is you'll always get better sound with the dedicated auxiliary or the RCA ports. Quite honestly though, the Blackberry is a nice product that should fit the need for any consumer but aptX is currently being pushed as "future proof." For now, at least.

If you are considering another device that supports aptX and hard controls, the Kinivo BTC450 may be an option. Pressing down on the controls activates Siri or Google Voice (the equivalent of Siri on Android), and has hard controls on the product itself for forward or back. It can also be hardwired onto your vehicle. However, going this route will lose the car's stock Bluetooth system.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM

^ What he said. ;-) Beyond that, I can tell you that for my non-audiophile ears, the Blackberry Gateway is great... certainly light years better than an FM transmitter, and to my ears... better quality that what XM puts out.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 PM

I just use a 3.5mm stereo cable. Not wireless but it's the best sound quality.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
There are always the concern of the compression, and it is even more prevalent through Bluetooth. As far as I know, the Blackberry does not utilize the latest compression that Bluetooth streaming has to offer as it is still on AD2P. aptX is capable of streaming up to 384 kbps, and most CD rips (read: ahem, torrents) are at 320 kbps compared to AD2P at maximum 328 kbps. There are also other benefits as reduced lag and a whole laundry list of stuff. However, the bottom line is you'll always get better sound with the dedicated auxiliary or the RCA ports. Quite honestly though, the Blackberry is a nice product that should fit the need for any consumer but aptX is currently being pushed as "future proof." For now, at least.

If you are considering another device that supports aptX and hard controls, the Kinivo BTC450 may be an option. Pressing down on the controls activates Siri or Google Voice (the equivalent of Siri on Android), and has hard controls on the product itself for forward or back. It can also be hardwired onto your vehicle. However, going this route will lose the car's stock Bluetooth system.
Although that Kinivo sounds like it would be perfect just as the Blackberry Gateway, I cannot lose my stock Bluetooth system. I'll just have to sacrifice with that horrible cable. I hate that Nissan added this feature with the tech package only and not the premium package!

Originally Posted by kruegs
^ What he said. ;-) Beyond that, I can tell you that for my non-audiophile ears, the Blackberry Gateway is great... certainly light years better than an FM transmitter, and to my ears... better quality that what XM puts out.
You're right. The FM transmitter I used in my 05 Maxima was some garbage! I use XM often (what happened to the Michael Jackson station?) and the quality sounds just like regular radio. Terrible.

Originally Posted by RCM78
This is what I have been doing and will have to continue to do because the audio does sound really crisp with the Bose system.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by RCM78
What is this cable connected to? I'm following along here but still confused.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 PM

Although that Kinivo sounds like it would be perfect just as the Blackberry Gateway, I cannot lose my stock Bluetooth system. I'll just have to sacrifice with that horrible cable. I hate that Nissan added this feature with the tech package only and not the premium package!
I think I should have worded that better. The Kinivo will take over the auxiliary input since you plug it into the auxiliary port to get sound, and then the power adapter into the outlet. Therefore, you can hardwire it and not have it sitting in the outlet for a more clean install. So in a sense, you don't exactly lose the auxiliary input or Bluetooth as the car will switch over to Bluetooth for voice commands and calls. They're both plug-and-play, but the Kinivo has more functionality.
Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
The male connection of the 3.5mm cable is connected to the auxiliary input on the face of the headunit and then the other male cable is connected to your media device. The standard auxiliary input, nothing too fancy!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
Is there a 3.5mm input on the head unit? I can't seem to locate it. My car has the backup cam and XM radio, but no navi. I know the 7th Gen Maxima S models have the 3.5mm input, but not sure about our SVs.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by touvang1210
Is there a 3.5mm input on the head unit? I can't seem to locate it. My car has the backup cam and XM radio, but no navi. I know the 7th Gen Maxima S models have the 3.5mm input, but not sure about our SVs.
In that case, you do not have an 3.5mm input--they are only available on the S and I believe the SV without the premium package. You need to open the center console and use the composite inputs (Red, Yellow, White). You can purchase a 3.5mm to Composite Cable. I got mine from Best Buy but they are available on Ebay and Amazon.

Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ft-3-5mm-AUX-to-Composite-A-V-Cable-3-RCA-fits-TiVO-Roku-LT-HD-XD1080p-XDS-/271498294584?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f368f3538
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-3-5mm-Composite-Camcorders/dp/B007ZAAEFE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401480125&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5mm+to+composite http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-3-5mm-Composite-Camcorders/dp/B007ZAAEFE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401480125&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5mm+to+composite
Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 AM

In that case, you do not have an 3.5mm input--they are only available on the S and I believe the SV without the premium package. You need to open the center console and use the composite inputs (Red, Yellow, White). You can purchase a 3.5mm to Composite Cable. I got mine from Best Buy but they are available on Ebay and Amazon.

Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ft-3-5mm-AU...item3f368f3538

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-3-...m+to+composite
Thanks Propa! I'm going to run over to Best Buy today to get the cable. Sucks that there's no bluetooth option. And who today still burns all their music to CDs anymore??? C'mon Nissan get rid of the CD player and/or make bluetooth streaming audio standard on all SVs! It's 2014 for god sakes and these are damn near $40k cars!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM

I just picked this up and the Quality is amazing! I got mine at Verizon

Amazon.com: HTC Bluetooth Music Streaming Stereo Clip Adapter - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: HTC Bluetooth Music Streaming Stereo Clip Adapter - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM

how do i know if i have the Bose speakers? will it say Bose on the grill of the speaker on the door?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by cali760
how do i know if i have the Bose speakers? will it say Bose on the grill of the speaker on the door?
No you'll see the Bose logo on the speakers in the back through the back windshield.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by maxipad2011
No you'll see the Bose logo on the speakers in the back through the back windshield.
I was getting worried. I thought they should have been on all speakers. I was about to say I was hoodwinked, swindled, BAMBOOZLED!!