7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Steering feel 2014 Sport - Over compensation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Steering Feel - Car won't drive straight.

It just keeps getting better with this car...... NOT.

In my 2014 the steering feels almost disconnected/unstable or like the boost is over compensating. It's not a good feeling when driving down the road at anything over 40 mph. It feels like the steering over corrects for any input I provide.

If I let go of the wheel the car drives straight and wheel balance appears to be fine. The car has under 3K miles. Pretty disappointing.

Does anyone else have this issue. Is it normal? I would take it to the dealer but they will probably say that it is normal operation.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-22-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:08 PM

2010 S model. Either I don't understand the issue or that doesn't happen in my car.

Steering is very responsive and I feel everything through the steering wheel/seat. I've also been in a hydroplane situation (with those horrible Eagle RS-As) and was able to correct and save the car. Yes, VDC/TCS was on and that did help, but without steering input and timed pressure on the gas, I think I would've spun out completely.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike

In my 2014 sport the steering feels almost disconnected/unstable or like the boost is over compensating. It's not a good feeling when driving down the road at anything over 40 mph. It feels like the steering over corrects for any input I provide.

If I let go of the wheel the car drives straight and wheel balance appears to be fine. The car has under 3K miles. Pretty disappointing.

Does anyone else have this issue. Is it normal? I would take it to the dealer but they will probably say that it is normal operation.

I too have experienced this. My 2014 has 1700 miles on it and recently drove on the expressway and it was really annoying. I had to keep correcting my steering also. Very sensitive steering.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM

I've been driving since the late 1940s, and have five and a half years in my '09 SV with Premium and Tech packages, and the steering is probably the best in any car I have ever owned (and I have owned dozens).

Car mag testers have mentioned since its release in June of 2008 that the 7th gen Maxima steering is overly supported (light) at low speeds, but they virtually all agree that, once road speed is reached, the power support drops fairly sharply, leaving a very nice steering feel with good feedback on road conditions.

The steering in this car is indeed very responsive, and I seldom need to move the wheel more than a slight twitch in order to move the car wherever I wish.

I should probably also mention that, at the time the 7th gen was released, Nissan said that, although this Maxima is not a true sports car, it was putting a smaller steering wheel with a quicker lock-to-lock ratio in order to more replicate the steering of true sports cars. I noticed the difference immediately, and like it very much.

But, just like the engine compression braking Nissan put in these cars, there will probably be some drivers who prefer the old Detroit feel, where more effort is required to bring steering results, and any braking requires pushing the brake pedal instead of using engine compression.

But there is the possibility that something may not be exactly right with your steering. If everything is OEM, I would have a friend or family member drive the car and see if they are noticing the same thing, and feel it is not normal. If they see this the same as you, then something must not be exactly right.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-09-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 PM

I'm saying steering is over responsive exceeds the input provided. When you are going down the highway and have to adjust your wheel position it over adjusts. You then have to turn the wheel back the opposite way to keep the car rolling straight. Not a good feeling.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnyru
I too have experienced this. My 2014 has 1700 miles on it and recently drove on the expressway and it was really annoying. I had to keep correcting my steering also. Very sensitive steering.
I think you are experiencing the same thing that I am. I have had others drive my car and it certainly is not a desirable feature.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:47 PM

My 6th gen 2004 Maxima didn't have this issue, but if this is normal on my 2014 then I guess I'll have to get used to this and learn not to over correct.
I really don't like the over sensitivity.
btw I don't have the sport model.

Last edited by Johnnyru; 05-09-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 PM

Oh okay. Well, perhaps I'm just used to the steering, but I like how responsive it is. I did initially have issue with it, but that's coming from driving a '94 BMW 325i which has some pretty firm steering.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 AM

Loosen your grip on the wheel and get your eyes up. Look way down the road. If you give it a real honest try the car will drive straight and smooth...
Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 AM

There may be a change in the '14s maybe they cut back on parts or maybe this is a real issue. My '10 does not do this.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM

I test drove another Maxima and it appears that they all steer like that. Probably due to the electronic steering control. It really sucks. I'm surprised more have not noticed.

Try driving your car on a straight and level road and take your hands off the wheel. See how far you can get before making a correction. After correcting see how much further you can drive. Most of the cars I have driven do not require the constant correcting that the Maxima does.

Many drivers may not have noticed this but the steering in this car requires constant attention.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-22-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:50 AM

I test drove another Maxima and it appears that they all steer like that. Probably due to the electronic steering control. It really sucks. I'm surprised more have not noticed.
Electronic steering control? Are you talking the speed sensitive power steering? Our Maximas have hydraulic assist with a belt driven power steering pump. The fluid reservoir is under the black plastic shield on the passenger side engine compartment.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:58 AM

There is a power steering control unit that uses vehicle and engine speed to determine how much to open the power steering solenoid valve. Nissan calls this EPS. Electronic Power Steering? I do not know if it is the cause of this problem, certainly a possibility.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-22-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:57 PM

In my 2014 the steering feels almost disconnected/unstable or like the boost is over compensating. It's not a good feeling when driving down the road at anything over 40 mph. It feels like the steering over corrects for any input I provide.

funny M/T just complained about steering feels in a recent family sedan comparo regarding the Altima and owners in there forums complaining about similar steering feel.

"the Nissan Altima was relatively quiet and composed, but was hampered by awkward steering feel. Per Evans, "The steering weight and response are terrible. There are several degrees of play on-center before anything happens, then it's like steering through thick, sticky mud." A second-from-bottom figure-eight time didn't help things for the pudgy-feeling Nissan.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz32U4bP82w
Old 05-22-2014, 07:12 PM

"Several degrees of play on-center before anything happens" is a good way to describe it. The term "squirrely" also comes to mind. When you are actually steering the vehicle it feels fine. The tricky part is keeping it going in a straight line.

The Altima probably uses the same parts and electronics and was engineered by the same people.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-22-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 PM

Interesting as I never thought this was an issue for me. This condition is much more obvious now since changing from my GY RSA 18's to 2012 19'' (stock) wheels with new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I believe this is due to the maximum tread effect of the new tires compared to the 6/32'' tread of the Goodyear tires which didn't have this "feel".
The normal tire wear process will slowly improve that so called "steering feel" IMOP.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:39 PM

I hope you are right because I'm seriously considering getting rid of this 5 month old car due to this issue. I wonder how this might affect those who put 20" or larger wheels and/or have lowered the car.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Yeah too bad you're clear across the country as I would be more than happy to loan you my 18's to try-out to see if they would help your situation. Maybe you could hook-up with a local 7th genner that doesn't have the same problem to do a tire/wheel swap and test drive?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Johnnyru
My 6th gen 2004 Maxima didn't have this issue, but if this is normal on my 2014 then I guess I'll have to get used to this and learn not to over correct.

I really don't like the over sensitivity.
btw I don't have the sport model.
I don't have the sport model either but I don't have this issue. I suppose it doesn't do this on the '12 model or something or I'm just used to it.

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Oh okay. Well, perhaps I'm just used to the steering, but I like how responsive it is. I did initially have issue with it, but that's coming from driving a '94 BMW 325i which has some pretty firm steering.
I find the steering to be firm though I do wish it was like my '05 Maxima. I do miss the way I felt like I was in total control.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 AM

I only have about 500miles in my 2012 SV Sport and I too have owned a lot of cars, including a couple of sports cars. I have never ever felt more in control then I do with this Maxima. LOVE the steering and yes it is sensitive, I think that is a good thing. At 23k miles it still has the OEM RSA's on and I will be replacing them before winter, so we will see if better tires changes things.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 AM

My 98 Maxima had great steering and road feel even after 16 years. It did not matter what tires were on it or their condition. This car feels like you are playing a video game.

Sports car + unstable is not a good mix. This car should drive like it's on rails. It does turns just fine. It's going straight that is the problem.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-23-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM

Just over 5,000 miles on my '12 SV sport/tech odo and I think the steering is great.

Granted, am lowered on eibachs and have the Racingline RSB w/ front & rear end links, but I feel in complete and total control of the car and am sorry to read that not everybody feels the same way
Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 AM

I really don't want to lower the vehicle but will look into somehow improving straight ahead driving. Any one have any suggestions? Although I think the issue is entirely with the steering control unit and there is probably not something that can be altered except by Nissan.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by RCM78
Loosen your grip on the wheel and get your eyes up. Look way down the road. If you give it a real honest try the car will drive straight and smooth...
I believe what you are suggesting is called “visual reference steering”.

This article sums it up very well.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ower-steering/

Tactile reference steering is simply not possible with such vehicles. Rather their drivers must continuously engage in “visual reference steering” to maintain directional control. The result is that such vehicles are very tiring to drive for any length of time or distance. Further their drivers are constrained to continuously look at the road. If such driver should look away even momentarily (i.e., to check a rearview mirror or a child in the car), he or she has minimal tactile reference as to the actual position of the vehicle during that period of time. This is dangerous because, depending upon the road topography and condition, the vehicle may have moved transversely in significant amount relative to where the driver thought his or her vehicle was positioned. This can and often does lead to serious trouble.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-23-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM

I guess I don't really understand the issue that you are having. My 2012 SV Sport does not drive any differently from any other car I have ever driven except the steering is very responsive, just like the other sports cars I have driven. There is nothing at all dramatically different or dangerous. If there is for you I think something is wrong, and if you have driven other Maxima's and they have the same "issue" then I think there is something about the way the car drives that you just don't like.

I can still drive one handed with very few corrections while driving at 80mph on the interstate. I am taking a 400 mile trip this weekend, I will see if I get extra tired driving it but I highly doubt it.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:56 PM

I totally agree with this^ as it was something I use to do and still try do but the lack of funding to care and maintain our roads has almost made this type of driving practice impossible, short of freeway driving that is.
Back in the day the condition of roads were such that you didn't have to be constantly scanning for the hazards that blow out tires and bend rims.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 PM

I visited my Nissan dealer earlier in the week and found out that all the Maxima's seem to drive/steer this way. The Nissan dealer did not really provide any other useful information.

Today I decided to stop by my local Midas dealer who has knowledgeable mechanics and has provided good honest service to me in the past. I had the Midas mechanics look at the car. Mechanically everything was fine which is pretty much as expected. After that we went for a test drive.

Unlike the Nissan dealer the Midas mechanic started asking questions like he really gave a damn and wanted to help. What we determined is that I have been driving a 1998 Maxima for the last 16 years. The steering feel of 98 is much different than that of most of todays cars. The steering is now generally lighter, tighter and more responsive. This means that the "on center" band of the steering wheel is much narrower then in the past. More than likely I am not used to such a tight band and am probably overcompensating to keep the car straight. The mechanic said that he had the same issue when he bought a new car a few years ago. The steering also totally annoyed him until he got used to it. He also said that my Maxima really handles well.

This makes a lot of sense to me and I expect that I will get used to the steering in time. Because I really do like this car. Well it's kind of a love/hate thing at this point. Thanks to all those who provided feedback in this thread.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-23-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 AM

I visited my Nissan dealer earlier in the week and found out that all the Maxima's seem to drive/steer this way. The Nissan dealer did not really provide any other useful information.

Today I decided to stop by my local Midas dealer who has knowledgeable mechanics and has provided good honest service to me in the past. I had the Midas mechanics look at the car. Mechanically everything was fine which is pretty much as expected. After that we went for a test drive.

Unlike the Nissan dealer the Midas mechanic started asking questions like he really gave a damn and wanted to help. What we determined is that I have been driving a 1998 Maxima for the last 16 years. The steering feel of 98 is much different than that of most of todays cars. The steering is now generally lighter, tighter and more responsive. This means that the "on center" band of the steering wheel is much narrower then in the past. More than likely I am not used to such a tight band and am probably overcompensating to keep the car straight. The mechanic said that he had the same issue when he bought a new car a few years ago. The steering also totally annoyed him until he got used to it. He also said that my Maxima really handles well.

This makes a lot of sense to me and I expect that I will get used to the steering in time. Because I really do like this car. Well it's kind of a love/hate thing at this point. Thanks to all those who provided feedback in this thread.
Like I said. Loosen your grip on the wheel and get your eyes up...
It's not the car, it's you...
Old 05-24-2014, 06:51 AM

Thanks pal. It is the car. My 98 did not drive like this and it felt solid all 16 years that I owned it. I'm sure that there are still many cars out there that have a firmer more solid steering feel.

If you like a firm, solid feel to the steering of your car the Maxima is not going to give it to you.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-24-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 AM

I believe what you are suggesting is called “visual reference steering”.

This article sums it up very well.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ower-steering/

Tactile reference steering is simply not possible with such vehicles. Rather their drivers must continuously engage in “visual reference steering” to maintain directional control. The result is that such vehicles are very tiring to drive for any length of time or distance. Further their drivers are constrained to continuously look at the road. If such driver should look away even momentarily (i.e., to check a rearview mirror or a child in the car), he or she has minimal tactile reference as to the actual position of the vehicle during that period of time. This is dangerous because, depending upon the road topography and condition, the vehicle may have moved transversely in significant amount relative to where the driver thought his or her vehicle was positioned. This can and often does lead to serious trouble.
Not even close.

What I'm suggesting is looking as far down the road as you can (At least 15 seconds). Obviously inclines, curves, and large vehicle can prevent seeing that far but there are ways to improve vision in these conditions.

Also loosen your grip on the steering wheel. Think of the wheel as two eggs you don't want to crack.

By getting your eyes up, your brain has plenty of time to process all of the information you see while driving (Believe me, it's a lot!!!).
Scan your path of travel focusing on several objects every couple of seconds. Focusing on one object causes a narrow field of vision. By practicing this consciously every time you drive you'll develop an ability to see what's happening all around your vehicle and be proactive instead of reactive. The result is a driver thats more relaxed, able to anticipate the actions of other drivers, drives smoothly in the lane of choice, and has plenty of time to make decisions.

Most drivers look 3-6 seconds in front of them (This is our natural ability and instinct). This causes you to react to every little change, bump, car, or item you see. It also causes the driver to make lots of small direction changes without even realizing it. The result is the car moves around in the lane, the driver "reacts" to their surroundings, and has less time to make informed decisions.

I'm not making any of this up and it's not my opinion. These are facts and are supported by every driving school I've been a part of.
Right now I hold the following certifications:
  • National Safety Council Defensive Driving DDC6/8
  • Smith System Instructor
  • Track Time 4 Cars Coach/Instructor
  • Team Pro-Motion Racing School Instructor
  • Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Coach

Check out Smith System. It's the one school I teach the most and is used by most companies with large fleets. It's difficult to use the system in congested areas but it can be done (I utilize it everyday on NJ roads).

As a motorcycle road racer and race instructor for 10 years my biggest struggle while riding at mine or the motorcycles limit is to keep my eyes up and focused down track. I can't stress enough how important this skill is!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Thanks pal. It is the car. My 98 did not drive like this and it felt solid all 16 years that I owned it. I'm sure that there are still many cars out there that have a firmer more solid steering feel.

If you like a firm, solid feel to the steering of your car the Maxima is not going to give it to you.
The 7th gen maxima has a two stage steering box. At low speeds the steering is light, as you increase speed the steering tightens up.
I find the difference very noticeable on my car.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:47 AM

I truly do appreciate the information. I learned how to look further down the road while driving fully loaded semi trailers when I was young. I understand about drivers being reactive instead of anticipating/planning their actions.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:09 AM

Like I said. Loosen your grip on the wheel and get your eyes up...
It's not the car, it's you...
I understand that you are an "expert". I have driven many vehicles in my life. Not once do I remember having the feeling that the vehicle I was driving was making it uncomfortable for me to drive in a straight line.

I have also had others test drive my car and they certainly were not thrilled by the response of the steering when driving straight ahead.

I don't believe the terms firm or solid would ever be used to describe the feeling of this vehicle when driving in a straight line.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-25-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 AM

I understand that you are an "expert". I have driven many vehicles in my life. Not once do I remember having the feeling that the vehicle I was driving was making it uncomfortable for me to drive in a straight line.

I have also had others test drive my car and they certainly were not thrilled by the response of the steering when driving straight ahead.

I don't believe the terms firm or solid would ever be used to describe the feeling of this vehicle when driving in a straight line.
After having driven over 600 miles this weekend, I really don't understand the issue you are having. On the interstate, which has about 200 of the 600 miles, I could leave my hands off the wheel and drive for long distances with no corrections needed, provided the road was good. My normal relaxed driving is using either one hand or even two fingers on the wheel and I had no issues doing that. On the highway where the road was not as good and lots of turns and bad pavement again I had no issues. Very small corrections when needed, but there is no slop or play in the wheel what so ever, if you are use to that then yes it would be different.

I was actually much less fatigued after doing this drive then with my Cruze. My legs were not cramped and I was not sore at all. LOVE this car!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just traded in my 2013 lease for a 2014 purchase. Identical Maxima, different color. The steering is AWFUL on the 2014, I constantly have make minor adjustments, exact same problem. I can guarantee that it is not "normal" as my 2013 lease drove effortlessly.

Did you have anything adjusted to help this issue?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by njeffries13
I just traded in my 2013 lease for a 2014 purchase. Identical Maxima, different color. The steering is AWFUL on the 2014, I constantly have make minor adjustments, exact same problem. I can guarantee that it is not "normal" as my 2013 lease drove effortlessly.

Did you have anything adjusted to help this issue?
I would check the toe. Another possibility is the tire, I have had tires that did not like to stay on center.