7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

My experience at Nissan service.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My experience at Nissan service.

Let me start off by saying I have been going to Nissan for oil changes lately because I am in between houses and don't have a garage to do my own work which I prefer.

Today I go in for their 3 oil changes and tire rotation special for $75. I have 19k miles on the car. The service writer comes back with his recommendations and my cabin filter in his hand.

He recommends:

*A new cabin filter at $89.95
*Fuel injector service at $149.95
*Four wheel balance at $25.00
*Brake fluid flush at $124.95

I made it clear his recommendations were in the interest of the profits of his service department and things like fuel injector service at 19k miles is insulting. I said "make sure you put my cabin filter back in the correct way, I am not interested in blowing dirt in my face".

I drive away and proceed to pick up a cabin filter and do it myself. Prior to entering the store I decide to pull the old one out. Oops, the click has been broken off!

Now they are going to replace the filter and replace the clip on them!

I am not a fan of others doing work on my car!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Well at least the wheel balancing is a good price for all 4 wheels!

This is exactly why so many people avoid dealer service, but I can say that for some the pre-purchased maintenance plans can be a good deal for the owner and will allow you to avoid all that upselling BS.

However, I'm like you and prefer to turn my own wrenches and know the work is done by someone emotionally invested in the car.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 PM

Wow, those prices are ridiculous. I can't believe they had the gall to bring you the dirty filter in the hopes that it would scare you into paying their outrageous prices. I'm glad you told them where they could stick it. My dealer told me my filter was dirty but I said no thanks and picked up one from the parts store for $16.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 PM

Funny how when you bring your car in for a repair under warranty they cannot find anything wrong. But when the customer is footing the bill they find all kinds of things that need service.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nopike
Funny how when you bring your car in for a repair under warranty they cannot find anything wrong. But when the customer is footing the bill they find all kinds of things that need service.
That's a dealership's bread and butter the rec. service scam I had a dealer come to me telling me that my strut was leaking upfront. And he came to the waiting room to play show and tell so i listen to him and then I told him great that should be under warranty since i had just changed them at another dealer about 1 month ago. So he look's at me and say's oohh really so i showed him the paperwork from the other Nissan dealership. And now it stopped leaking and everything is just fine
Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kia210Max
That's a dealership's bread and butter the rec. service scam I had a dealer come to me telling me that my strut was leaking upfront. And he came to the waiting room to play show and tell so i listen to him and then I told him great that should be under warranty since i had just changed them at another dealer about 1 month ago. So he look's at me and say's oohh really so i showed him the paperwork from the other Nissan dealership. And now it stopped leaking and everything is just fine
Now that would set me off!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kia210Max
I would have been tempted to let them replace it all the while thinking they were going to charge me an arm and a leg for doing so and then spring the prior replacement (warranty) on them after the work was done.
I would have then asked them for the strut they took off my car and proceed to threatened them with a BBB claim along with a written letter to Nissan corporate.
While I had them back peddling on their heels I would demand (not negotiate) a serious full vehicle extended written warranty to forget everything that had happened.
You gotta play hardball with these unethical greedy bazterds.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM

i hate the stealership
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM

Let me guess, Larry Miller Nissan in HR? I have an apt with them on Monday for an oil change and a few items to be addressed under warranty. I'll see if they do any of the up-selling on me as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 PM

Terribilism. :-/
Old 02-13-2014, 12:08 PM

I feel it's unfortunate how some dealerships pale in comparison to others; that's what stinks about different franchisee owners essentially being able to do whatever they want.

A dealership I've done business with for two years, Anchor Nissan in North Smithfield, RI has always done right by me and have not once tried to put me together or bundle me with that b.s. up selling of unnecessary products and services.

They even have a person who works there by the name of Kym who calls either the next day or next couple of days after a service done on the car at the dealership, from an oil change to bigger services, just to make sure everything went well. They truly are a model franchise; a well-oiled machine, if you will.

The place where I bought my new Maxima three months ago, Nissan 24 in Brockton, MA was the complete opposite and all about the shady and unethical practices, putting the dealership and their greed before the customer. Even some of their salespeople had that 'scumbag vibe' about them which makes you crawl in your skin. The whole experience only made me appreciate Anchor Nissan that much more.

It felt good absolutely slamming them in the follow-up surveys and telephone calls that resulted from the negative surveys as well. I'm not a picky customer by any means; in fact, I'm quite the opposite. I can appreciate the cost of doing business and am well aware of it, but once I get that feeling that I'm being targeted of being put together, look out, because I'm comin' for ya.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by kruegs
Let me guess, Larry Miller Nissan in HR? I have an apt with them on Monday for an oil change and a few items to be addressed under warranty. I'll see if they do any of the up-selling on me as well.
You got it!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
i hate the stealership
I take my car to Criswell in Germantown, MD. Their customer service is excellent and I've never had a problem out of them. They did my CVT warranty swap and it was painless.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 AM

I used to work as a salesman at a Nissan dealership in college. That is the only time I allowed a dealership to service my car because I used to get the parts online(dealerships will always screw on parts, usually around 10% on top of MSRP). Also, I would pay the techs in beer and jack daniels and they would do it when they had downtime. Nowadays, I would never imagine giving a dealership a cent of my money. I always go to them first for a quote but it is always outrageous. To fix the front plastic splash shield under my car, they wanted $210. I got the part for $30, got some metal u clips and screws for $10, and did it myself.
In the grand scheme of things, time is money. My dad has a '13 Max and he pays out the *** for everything. I always tell him that I can do it but it's worth it to him "just to get it done".
The inevitable problem is that most dealership shops are separate entities from the actual sales floor. Because they are also attached and/or share a corporate name, Nissan usually makes them keep up a certain appearance especially if they want to be considered "certified". If Nissan would help the shops by taking some of the margins off the sales floor, their shops may not cost as much. They've done a decent job by offering warranties, but Nissan's warranty is a joke. I couldn't tell you how many sales I lost to Kia and Hyundai because of their warranties.
It costs a great deal more overhead to run a dealership shop then to run a simple ASE shop. The shop has to keep in inventory of certain parts. The shop has to pay for their techs to go to Nissan school. There are many reasons why dealership shops charge upwards of $89 an hour for labor. ASE (or some other governing body) maintains a book of procedures that tells the techs how many hours they have to charge. 99% of the time, a good tech can do the labor in half the time.
The techs where I worked were unbelievably good but you payed for their knowledge and the money invested in them/the shop. I try to do as much as I can but there are certain things I wouldn't attempt to do in my driveway with jacks. I will always order the part and go to the locally run business and tell them to "sharpen their pencil". Most local places will do it but they won't offer a warranty on the part. I couldn't get an ABS sensor loose for hell and I had to take it somewhere. The techs worked on it for 2 hours and finally got it loose. They only charged me $100 because I helped them by bringing them the part. My dad always said there are three people you should maintain a good relationship.....a doctor, a lawyer, and a good mechanic.

Last edited by mjhuffer; 02-14-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 AM

+1 on this. In my expericnce with one dealership, I had a car with no warranty and every time I went in for simple service, they came back with a laundry list of "we found this and that". I later got another car with an extended bumper to bumper warranty and they never can find anything wrong even when I complain about something. Needless to say, I don't give them my business anymore. The dealer is Conicelli Nissan in Conshocken PA if anyone is interested, add them to your stay away list.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM

I am sure there are many good, honest Nissan dealers out there. But there are probably just as many that are worthless. It appears it is all about the profits from selling and repairing vehicles. There is probably little or no profit when performing warranty repairs. If you build a quality vehicle then you will not make money on repairs. So why bother with quailty.

Nissan is screwing up big time, all you need to do is spend some time on this forum to see that.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

In all fairness to the Dealer if you look in your Service and Maintenance guide, Nissan recommends both a brake fluid flush and to replace the in-cabin filter at 15,000 miles. They also recommend rotating the tires. Some technicians figure if I'm going to rotate them I might as well balance them. What happens if he rotates the tires and moves a out of balanced tire to the front. Now you have a vibration and now you're going to get pissed on your drive home. As for the fuel injector service, that's a no no! A good service writer should of caught that one. I don't even see that listed in any of the maintenance schedules. It's all just recommend service from the company that built your car. So if you want to hate, hate Nissan. Don't hate the guy who is following the recommendations of the manufacturer. Like it or not it's his job to keep you informed on what Nissan recommends. Hate the idiot that tries to sell calipers and brake hoses on your next brake job. That's the guy you can't trust.

Last edited by 2013Nice'in; 02-24-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2013Nice'in
In all fairness to the Dealer if you look in your Service and Maintenance guide, Nissan recommends both a brake fluid flush and to replace the in-cabin filter at 15,000 miles. They also recommend rotating the tires. Some technicians figure if I'm going to rotate them I might as well balance them. What happens if he rotates the tires and moves a out of balanced tire to the front. Now you have a vibration and now you're going to get pissed on your drive home. As for the fuel injector service, that's a no no! A good service writer should of caught that one. I don't even see that listed in any of the maintenance schedules. It's all just recommend service from the company that built your car. So if you want to hate, hate Nissan. Don't hate the guy who is following the recommendations of the manufacturer. Like it or not it's his job to keep you informed on what Nissan recommends. Hate the idiot that tries to sell calipers and brake hoses on your next brake job. That's the guy you can't trust.
Well put.

I also agree that brake fluid flushing is a worthwhile service every 2-3 years. I do this myself, I have the Mityvac system with adaptors for my VW and Ford Flex, the Maxima adaptor will be the next purchase.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 AM

Brake fluid flush at 15,000 miles. That means once a year for many drivers. I don't believe that any other auto maker recommends it so often.

It's a moneymaker for Nissan and if you don't have it done and the brake system fails under warranty they have an out. That means that the customer will have to pay for the work. It's not like I come on this forum to bash Nissan but they make it so easy.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-24-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 PM

One of the reasons I am sort of dreading the prospect of moving away from the outer fringes of the Atlanta area to a golf course resort in the middle of nowhere is that I will be far away from my long-time Nissan dealer.

There are Nissan dealers everywhere, but I recall dealership experiences from the past that make me dread leaving my current dealer, with whom I have had ALL my service done (and done at the proper time and done correctly at what I consider to be reasonable prices) in the last 19 years.

I have also bought my last four Maximas from this dealer. I know lots of folks there, and they have helped me with unusual problems with my cars, often at no charge, even when my cars were out of warranty.

I give them copies of JDPower surveys and Nissan surveys I have completed, and even wrote a letter to Nissan Corp congratulating them on being represented by this exemplary dealer. My dealer has always gone to bat for me, and I will always go to bat for him, as long as he treats me very well.

I dread starting all over again with a dealer I know nothing about. My chances of even coming close to my current dealer relationship are not good.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 AM

Trophy Nissan in Mesquite, TX is by far the worst stealership I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with (I say this after having had my Z serviced there and the Max in for "warranty" repair).
After having the Max in there for 3 days they couldn't find ANY issues with it. I noticed the thick layer of dust all over the car, minus the handprints which I assume would have been there had they actually even done anything with my car.
They couldn't duplicate the wind noise which is pretty evident within 2min of driving the car. Couldn't duplicate the seat rocking, or the seat belt issue. Took the mechanic on a test drive and all of a sudden he hears the wind noise! Oh sorry it's not covered under your extended warranty.
Bottom line: TROPHY
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 AM

Trophy Nissan in Mesquite, TX is by far the worst stealership I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with (I say this after having had my Z serviced there and the Max in for "warranty" repair).
After having the Max in there for 3 days they couldn't find ANY issues with it. I noticed the thick layer of dust all over the car, minus the handprints which I assume would have been there had they actually even done anything with my car.
They couldn't duplicate the wind noise which is pretty evident within 2min of driving the car. Couldn't duplicate the seat rocking, or the seat belt issue. Took the mechanic on a test drive and all of a sudden he hears the wind noise! Oh sorry it's not covered under your extended warranty.
Bottom line: TROPHY NISSAN WOULD BE MORE USEFUL IF THEY CLOSED IT DOWN AND LEFT AN EMPTY BUILDING.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by b2boost
Bottom line: TROPHY
I had the same wind noise, and the drivers mirror was replaced and covered under warranty. 2 different dealers, and 2 different states. This is clay nissan in Norwood, ma. But if it's covered in one should be covered at all imo
Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 AM

This looks like a great thread. Wondering how the admins can make it easily browsable so we can share experience with the dealers.
My experience with the IL dealers varies greatly from dealer to dealer. Woodfield has guys at the parts shop who will always give me 10% off on parts if I walk there. However nobody knew about turning off CVT engine braking. St. Charles has very knowleadgeable mechanics but they never give discounts.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by assiduous
This looks like a great thread. Wondering how the admins can make it easily browsable so we can share experience with the dealers.
My experience with the IL dealers varies greatly from dealer to dealer. Woodfield has guys at the parts shop who will always give me 10% off on parts if I walk there. However nobody knew about turning off CVT engine braking. St. Charles has very knowleadgeable mechanics but they never give discounts.

There is an entire subforum dedicated to Dealership and Vendor experiences and feedback.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Brake fluid flush at 15,000 miles. That means once a year for many drivers. I don't believe that any other auto maker recommends it so often.

It's a moneymaker for Nissan and if you don't have it done and the brake system fails under warranty they have an out. That means that the customer will have to pay for the work. It's not like I come on this forum to bash Nissan but they make it so easy.
Exactly! I drive over 30,000 miles a year. Brake fluid does not go bad in 6 months. Again a mileage recommendation from Nissan is just that, a recommendation and a very conservitave one at that.

The dealer just contacted me again for the fuel injector service. This is all part of their business plan and not part of looking out for my best interest. I have never done an injector service on any vehicle I have owned including all three Maximas and the last one a GS400 I put 168,000 miles on and still ran as smooth as silk with no injector service.

Again, this type of thing is insulting to someone who has had their head buried under a hood for over 25 years!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Probably all dealerships are set up like this in the U.S. I personally have stories from BMW, Chevy and Nissan. I look at it like this the service adviser knows nothing about cars and has a quota so usually always add extra or completely unneeded services. The mechanics at dealers are usually honest and I always try to talk directly to the mechanic when forced to use the dealer. When I had a '97 I remember getting calls from the adviser about needing a new belt (leaving me a voice mail like it was the end of the world). So I told him to change the belt. The next day I go pick up the car and he's like lets go for a ride and make sure the belt is fixed. Durring that ride he asked me for cash cause he claimed he didnt charge me for the labor or something. I didnt give him anything and I doubt they even changed the belt. A few years later the dealer fired all the service advisers. My cousin had a 7 series and was having electrical problems so the dealer quoted her over $1k to fix it. She knew someone who knew one of the bmer mechanics directly and he came over her place simply sanded down the ground stud which was located in the trunk. Charged her $60. The stud had got painted over by after getting repaired for a rear collision(and it got repaired by a pro shop too). I had a chevy AC only worked on high I knew it was simply a resistor... took it to the dealer just to see what they would say and charge me... they came up with over $1k quote to replace the whole system.. i fixed it myself with the ~$20 resistor. Have many more stories.. bottom line DIY!

Last edited by zoemayne; 05-05-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 AM

My wife's Versa would always pull to the left. I complained several times to the dealer that sold me the car but they said it was normal and there was nothing wrong with it. I went to another dealer and they replaced part of the steering and the controller under warranty.

We had a Sentra before the Versa and the same dealer refused to fix the seat under warranty. I went to the dealer that fixed the Versa steering and the replaced the seat base under warranty.

Guess who gets my servicing business now?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM

My wife's Versa would always pull to the left. I complained several times to the dealer that sold me the car but they said it was normal and there was nothing wrong with it. I went to another dealer and they replaced part of the steering and the controller under warranty.

We had a Sentra before the Versa and the same dealer refused to fix the seat under warranty. I went to the dealer that fixed the Versa steering and the replaced the seat base under warranty.

Guess who gets my servicing business now?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 PM

So the service manager calls me today after I gave them an honest survey. I go over the services I did not agree with and he tells me this:

-You need tire balancing every 5-6k miles or the manufacture will not warrant your tires.
-You need injector service at 19k miles because of the carbon build up in the intake and cylinders.
-The brake fluid needs to be replaced at 15k miles.

I attempted to reason with him but his head was so far gone and in corporate la-la land I decided to end the conversation.

This dealer is full of it!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 AM

Most stealerships are best avoided. Frequent/unreasonable service requirements mean profits for the dealer and if you don't have it done they can deny your warranty claim. A win-win for the dealer. For the customer........ not so much.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-07-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 PM

I've been taking my car to Lokey Nissan in Clearwater FL, and have yet to encounter anything unreasonable. The oil changes are free for life. Last time, they replace a wiper they put on the prior oil change (a 30K check), said the tech noticed it was not working very good so they replaced it - no charge. I have no complaints with their service.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 PM

I'll tell you what... I'm not real happy with Larry Miller Nissan right now to be perfectly honest... (you confirmed up above that is who you went to). I had them replace my rocking seat frame under warranty almost 3 weeks ago. During the visit, I mentioned my drivers side rear door sounds hollow when it is closed. The other 3 sound much different and very solid... so they adjusted the striker in an "attempt" to fix it.

Noticed after I got home that the tech put a nice crease / ding in the chrome trim around my door when he was working on it. Also noticed the nice scratches and marks all over my plastic trim next to the door they graciously gave me...free of charge too! I went right back to them and they ordered the trim and plastic piece as it was obvious they caused both damages. Last week I called to ask what is taking so long to get the parts in... apparently the plastic piece is on "national back order". Uh huh....

Frustrated only because Larry Miller is literally 1 mile from my house. Oh, and I bought their 3 oil change deal, so I intend to at least go there to use the 2 I have left.

Annoying places these dealers I tell ya. LOL
Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
I've been taking my car to Lokey Nissan in Clearwater FL, and have yet to encounter anything unreasonable. The oil changes are free for life. Last time, they replace a wiper they put on the prior oil change (a 30K check), said the tech noticed it was not working very good so they replaced it - no charge. I have no complaints with their service.
Excellent! I think it is worth telling success stories as well as which dealers to avoid.

Planet Nissan in Las Vegas is my favorite Nissan dealer, they have treated me great for 10 years.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:16 PM

Brake fluid change at 15K?? I don't think I changed it once on any of my vehicles except one of them at 100K. What a rip off!

Last edited by 02nissmax; 05-11-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM

Avoid pearson nissan I'm Ocala Florida . Scott the service advisor or one of worst people I have met no personality and just rude and non professional .
Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by koreanthunda
Avoid pearson nissan I'm Ocala Florida . Scott the service advisor or one of worst people I have met no personality and just rude and non professional .
even his manager is rude ...
Old 05-15-2014, 05:57 PM

After reading thru this thread, looking at the service manuals, My dealer has a online maint schedule and looking thru that I cant find anything on fuel injector service, I had it done on my 07 but cant find anything on the 2011.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by assiduous
Ugh.. Saint Charles... I always found the service dept. to be nice at first but then they contrive a list of stuff that costs thousands of dollars and doesn't necessarily need to be done. So in other words, just another slimy dealership.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 02nissmax
Brake fluid change at 15K?? I don't think I changed it once on any of my vehicles except one of them at 100K. What a rip off!
Many manufactures of later model vehicles are now recommending scheduled brake fluid replacement. I agree not at 15K miles, that is a total rip-off.
I did my max only because my truck needed it done so I did both. The max had 27K and so this was even a bit early.

Quick Reply: My experience at Nissan service.