7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Climate Controlled Heated Seats Mystery Solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Whats weird is my heated seat works fine 95% of the time but this past summer the cooling portion did not. It kept shutting off...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 PM

I wish I would have followed the FSM trouble shooting instructions. It states that if the climate control seat system turns off in 10 seconds or less from the time it was turned on the cause is electrical. Such as a defective TED or blower motor

If the seats take 30 seconds or longer to shut off the problem is not electrical in nature. It is due to foam pads, ducting or obstruction of the ducts or blower motor.

The climate control unit is well designed and it will shut off very quickly when there is an electrical issue.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-25-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:33 PM

cc seat

My seat doesn't turn on at all... I don't think it ever functioned. After removing the filter it looked brand new without any dust whatsoever.

I damaged one of the bolts by accident and can't get the seat out for closer inspection. I don't know if your fix will be of any help but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 AM

If the light on the switch for the climate controlled seat does not turn on at all. your fuse may be blown.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
If the light on the switch for the climate controlled seat does not turn on at all. your fuse may be blown.

The fuses are fine. I checked the ones under the hood and the ones near the hood release... Is there another location to check?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM

FSM states check the following fuses.

Fuse 3 (10A) Fuse block (J/B)
Fuse 28 (15A) Fuse and fusible link box
Fuse H (40A) Fuse and fusible link box

Fuse 3 is by the hood release. The other two are under the hood.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:55 PM

FSM states check the following fuses.

Fuse 3 (10A) Fuse block (J/B)
Fuse 28 (15A) Fuse and fusible link box
Fuse H (40A) Fuse and fusible link box

Fuse 3 is by the hood release. The other two are under the hood.
Just checked those fuses with a multimeter and they're all good.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
The seatback and bottom work the same meaning they both turn off the same amount. Also my heated steering apparently goes into this fail-safe mode. I cant say that they are related or not but I figured they were both related to the same sensor. This mainly happens when the car has been sitting overnight and the temps have dropped 10-20 degrees by morning.

Just two things:

1) I dont have the cooled seats so my TED might be different..

2) Is nissan really that lazy to not fix an apparently not complicated issue? I'm pretty sure dealers have spent hundreds? of man hours on this issue and Nissan is pumping 2014 maximas out with this issue. MAYBE its being done intentionally because there is an overheating/fire? issue - just a thought....

I'm not taking my seat out anytime soon... Maybe if I was in Alaska but I'm in Fl so.......
I've had some problems with my drivers side heated seat that for two seasons now in Texas during the winter I've taken it to the Nissan dealership to fix with zero help.

My problem is when the temps drop below about 28 degrees, I start up the car, put on the heated drivers seat, the light for the button goes out after about a minute or two - again only when the temp drops really below 28. Not sure why. This season, now that temps are dropping in the morning below 28 at times, I start the car, wait about 2 minutes or so into my drive, then turn on the heated seat and it does not go out. Wondering if it's a sensor issue when too cold? I've done this in the cold with the heated steering wheel on, and heated seats, and it stops. Now waiting a couple of minutes or more - no issue. Can't figure that one out, but when it's working, like other here, it's gets hot!

Jimbo
Old 11-20-2014, 08:26 PM

The system compares the temperature of the TEDs in the seat back and seat bottom. If the difference is greater than about 60 degrees it will shut down. Have you noticed that the back and bottom was not heating up evenly?

The car has to be shut off and turned back on before the CC seats will work again. This is more likely to happen in colder temps because it is more likely that you will have a larger spread in temperature between the TEDS when it's very cold.

If the CC system shuts down in 10 seconds or less the issue is electrical. If it takes longer than 30 seconds it is an issue with the circulation of the heat such as a blocked, misaligned or missing vent in the seat.

If you allow the cabin of the vehicle to warm up before turning on the heated seat it may be that this 60 degree difference is harder to achieve.

Heated steering wheel and vehicle climate control are totally separate from the CC seat and have no bearing on the seats except as mentioned above.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-20-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mosca
Completely by accident I discovered that if I let my *** warm the seat for about 10 minutes, the seat heater works fine.

The steering wheel, on the other hand, becomes almost too hot to touch in about 5 minutes.
Exactly on the heated steering wheel...no way as previously mentioned it is regulated at 68 degrees. I've found out the same situation...let my car run a bit and then turn on the heat seat (drivers side) and it works fine. If I jump in the car, turn on the heated seat at temps below 28 degrees, or about, the light turns off and will not come back on. This is definitely an issue and I know the dealership will not deal with it...tried it twice but was successful to get it officially documented with Nissan Consumer Affairs that they would handle it regardless of warranty.

Jimbo
Old 12-09-2014, 09:30 AM

NoPike,
cold temps are back and so is the heating seat problem. I can confirm that if you warm up the car and then turn on the seat heater, it works as expected. If I turn it on when getting into cold car, most of the time I get no heat from the seats.

Can you please confirm that your ducting fix to the bottom cushion fixed the problem?
thanks
Max
Old 12-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Yes I had a duct that was completely missing on the bottom of the seat. I made a duct and that did take care of the problem. You can check your fan and filter at the back of the seat. Don't know how handy you are but if the fan is OK you would need to unbolt the seat and tip it back to take a look at ducts under the seat. You can also raise the seat get a mirror and a flashlight and take a good look under there. The problem is most likely with the ducts and airflow. With an electrical problem the system would shut down within 10 seconds all the time.

Even with my seat bottom working it's kind of disappointing. The design is such that only the back half of the seat is heated while the front extender portion of the seat is cold. In addition it's not a nice even heat like that provided by regular heated seats. In the future I will probably stay away from climate controlled seats.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Yes I had a duct that was completely missing on the bottom of the seat. I made a duct and that did take care of the problem. You can check your fan and filter at the back of the seat. Don't know how handy you are but if the fan is OK you would need to unbolt the seat and tip it back to take a look at ducts under the seat. You can also raise the seat get a mirror and a flashlight and take a good look under there. The problem is most likely with the ducts and airflow. With an electrical problem the system would shut down within 10 seconds all the time.

Even with my seat bottom working it's kind of disappointing. The design is such that only the back half of the seat is heated while the front extender portion of the seat is cold. In addition it's not a nice even heat like that provided by regular heated seats. In the future I will probably stay away from climate controlled seats.
ah, such is the price that we pay for new features! Even though I use heating way more than cooling.
I guess my curiosity is getting the best of me, if the cause of the system
shutdown is large temperature difference between TEDs, how does this
fix address the core issue?
Do you have suggestion for the material to use to expand the duct?
thanks
Max
Old 12-09-2014, 01:10 PM

The system is designed to be well sealed. Not air tight, but well sealed. It also requires proper airflow. If there are issues with sealing or airflow the temperatures within the CC seat system will not be properly maintained. The system includes temperature sensors that sense the temperature imbalance and will cause it to shut down.

The colder it gets the more difficult it is for a faulty system to maintain a temperature balance. That is why people have more issues with the seats the when it gets really cold.

As an example, in my case the seatback TED was properly ducted and would reach the expected operating temperature. While the seat TED did not have proper ducting preventing it from reaching the expected temperature. Once the temperature difference between the two TED's exceeded 60 degrees the system would shut down. This happened much more frequently when temperatures were really frigid. If you warm the interior of your car prior to turning on the heated seats the contrast won't be as great and they are less likely to shut down.

As far as material is concerned it needs to be rigid and relatively airtight similar to the the material used for the existing ducts.

Last edited by Nopike; 12-09-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:34 PM

The system is designed to be well sealed. Not air tight, but well sealed. It also requires proper airflow. If there are issues with sealing or airflow the temperatures within the CC seat system will not be properly maintained. The system includes temperature sensors that sense the temperature imbalance and will cause it to shut down.

The colder it gets the more difficult it is for a faulty system to maintain a temperature balance. That is why people have more issues with the seats the when it gets really cold.

As an example, in my case the seatback TED was properly ducted and would reach the expected operating temperature. While the seat TED did not have proper ducting preventing it from reaching the expected temperature. Once the temperature difference between the two TED's exceeded 60 degrees the system would shut down. This happened much more frequently when temperatures were really frigid. If you warm the interior of your car prior to turning on the heated seats the contrast won't be as great and they are less likely to shut down.

As far as material is concerned it needs to be rigid and relatively airtight similar to the the material used for the existing ducts.
Thanks for clarifying it for me. Now I understand it. Its not so much that
the temperature is over 60 degrees apart when the system is turned on.
Its that after it works for a bit (however long it takes to shut down), the seat back TED has reached a temperature differential of over 60 degrees from the seat cushion TED.

When looking back at your original pictures, for whatever reason I thought of expandable foam. Once I get it all apart, I will see if I can spray some foam over the TED duct and then shape it to the cushion opening. This maybe the least expensive and yet efficient way to fill in the space around the TED ducts.

When I get around to doing this, I will update the thread.
thanks
Max
Old 12-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MAJ_Jimbo
Exactly on the heated steering wheel...no way as previously mentioned it is regulated at 68 degrees . . . . .

Jimbo
I think the 68 degree thing with the heated steering wheel is not tied to the temp of the steering wheel, but overall temp. If the ambient temp (either the outside air or in the car, I'm not sure which) is above 68 degrees, I don't think the steering wheel heat comes on when we push the switch.

But when the heat does come on, it often gets too hot to comfortably hold the steering wheel, then continues to cut on and off to keep the wheel warm/hot until we turn off the switch or turn off the car.

I personally wish the wheel did not get quite so hot, but simply stayed at a constant warm temp.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
Thanks for clarifying it for me. Now I understand it. Its not so much that
the temperature is over 60 degrees apart when the system is turned on.
Its that after it works for a bit (however long it takes to shut down), the seat back TED has reached a temperature differential of over 60 degrees from the seat cushion TED.
You are welcome. That is exactly right, the system stays on until that 60 degree differential is reached. Then it shuts down.

Originally Posted by maxud
When looking back at your original pictures, for whatever reason I thought of expandable foam. Once I get it all apart, I will see if I can spray some foam over the TED duct and then shape it to the cushion opening. This maybe the least expensive and yet efficient way to fill in the space around the TED ducts.
Expandable foam is a very good idea I may consider using it myself. This is assuming your issue is because you are missing a duct or rubber gasket or there is a misalignment of one of these parts.

Only problem is to get at or remove the seat you will probably need to disconnect the airbag wiring. If you turn the car on with that wiring disconnected you will have an airbag warning flashing. That is relatively easy to reset. You also have to be careful not to damage anything when removing the seat.

Last edited by Nopike; 12-09-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:03 PM

You are welcome. That is exactly right, the system stays on until that 60 degree differential is reached. Then it shuts down.

Expandable foam is a very good idea I may consider using it myself. This is assuming your issue is because you are missing a duct or rubber gasket or there is a misalignment of one of these parts.

Only problem is to get at or remove the seat you will probably need to disconnect the airbag wiring. If you turn the car on with that wiring disconnected you will have an airbag warning flashing. That is relatively easy to reset. You also have to be careful not to damage anything when removing the seat.
I am completely comfortable removing the seat. I have done it on many cars. I do car work as a "hobby", which sometimes leaves my own cars
unattended.
I need to visualize the connection between the TED and bottom seat cushion better. Looking at TED duct and cushion opening pictures,
it looks like one of the "barbs" on the TED must engage the seat cushion.
Could it be that with time, the tab slips out of the cushion and causes
large air gaps?
This could also explain why the repair appears to correct the issue at first,
but problem reappears later on. In my case, after the seat cushion was
replaced, the seat heater worked consistently. Then it broke again.

The most challenging problem would be controlling expandable foam.
When you spray it out, its tends to expand every which way and is
extremely tacky. So I think I will take the TED out and spray around
the duct that goes into the seat. That should create a glob of foam all
around the duct. Then I will shave it down to fit the opening in the
seat cushion.
My concern with spraying in place is that some of the foam
may enter seat cushion and create a blockage. It will also adhere to
the seat cushion making removing it nearly impossible.
After the job is done, I may put some of the A/C duct silver tape around
remaining joints to make it even more airtight.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Have you accessed the FSM yet? Tells you all you want to know about the seats and then some.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/
Old 12-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Have you accessed the FSM yet? Tells you all you want to know about the seats and then some.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/
yes, I did back in 2009, thanks.
It may be a while until I rip the seat out, I hurt my back
so need to get my health back. The weather is also not the best
for this kind of work. I will continue to turn on the heater only
after the car had a chance to warm up.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Owned my 09 for exactly two years now and everything worked great both heating and cooling with drivers side. About a week ago the light comes on for heat for about 4 seconds and goes back out. No heat....argggggh.
Passenger side seems to work fine though.
Help.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 AM

If it turns off that quickly it means you have an electrical problem. See if the fan is working. Otherwise the seat will need to be pulled to really check anything.

It would probably do the same thing in the cooling mode.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anyone have a link to download that TSB #NTB10-026b. I googled it and couldn't come up with a source.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Does anyone have a link to download that TSB #NTB10-026b. I googled it and couldn't come up with a source.
you need to register at below forum, then you will be able to download the pdf.
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...6#.VKGH2ukBrE8
Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ahh great thanks very much!!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Were you sitting in the seat when you took the pictures?

I finally figured out what is going on. The issues are purely mechanical in nature. The electrical portion of all the climate control seats are probably just fine.

Seems like most, if not all of us, have issues with the seat cushion not providing heat but the seat back actually heats very well. At least that was the case with my car and the other Maxima's that I have driven.

Since my seat back heater (TED) was working well I decided to take a look at it. I noticed that the duct that provides heat from the TED to the seat back was very well sealed and installed tightly so that there are no gaps for the heated air to escape. Whereas the duct that went from my seat cushion TED to the cushion was totally misaligned with approximately an inch gap. There also appeared to be a plastic flange missing that helps direct the air into the cushion.

I created an extension of the duct so that the gap was no longer present and the heated air has nowhere to go but into the cushion. This solved the problem to some degree. Those who are having issues need to make sure this ducting is properly installed and there are no gaps for the heated or cooled air to escape. The TED's do not put out a great deal of heat so if the system is not well sealed, the heated air will escape and never make it to the cushion.

The problem is due to poor alignment, sizing and improper installation of this ducting.

1) This is the seat cushion TED. When heating, warm air is blown out of the top. At the same time cool air is discharged thru the front of the TED. The front is facing you. Ducting is not required for the front.

2) This opening at the bottom of the seat cushion is where the TED mounts and warm air is directed into the seat.
The seatback has a black plastic flange that the ducting mounts into. That makes for a nice tight seal. The flange is not even present on the seat cushion.

3) Note the large gap between the rubber ducting and the seat cushion. This ducting needs to be almost air tight for the TED to work properly. With an air gap such as this no heat will reach the seat. Any small gap here will also cause problems. The TED's do not put out enough heat to overcome this leakage. The TED's actually work better if the seal is almost air tight. Compared to the seatback ducting it appears there are parts missing including a flange that mounts into the hole of the seat cushion.
It looks like the gap that you are showing is based on the seat not being sat on? If so, the weight of someone sitting in the seat would create a better seal (I am sure it is not air tight but it would be better)?
Old 01-16-2015, 12:45 PM

I do not believe that having someone in the seat would make the gap smaller or have any effect on the operation.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-16-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM

This does seem reasonable and a solution did anyone else try this out and try it ?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by koreanthunda
This does seem reasonable and a solution did anyone else try this out and try it ?
as ironic as this sounds, I am planning to go through with it when the weather gets warmer
Old 02-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a 2011 max that the seat kept shutting down. Nisan Corp ended up backing me into a corner, and making me take a cash settlement, after they told me that they could not fix the issue, and they would not let me out of my lease, so I took the money, and went into a lesser Altima; which I hated. Yesterday; 1/31/15 I took my car in, due to being at 6 months from lease end. I leased another 2014 Loaded Max. During the 2, or so hour that I spent driving the vehicle testing it, it did fine with no seat heater issues. After buying the car, the seat heater shut down on me at least 3 times on my drive home from the Dealer, which is only about 5 miles, or so! : (
Old 02-01-2015, 08:00 PM

I don't know why Nissan can not figure it out. The electronics for the system actually seem very reliable and I don't believe that is what is causing the problems.

I believe most of the issues are with the venting not being properly installed into the seat during manufacture. As was the case with my vehicle. Ever since I fixed the vent my seats have never shut off. Prior to that they were shutting off on a regular basis.

The reason the system shuts off is because it detects that the difference in temperature between the seat bottom heater (TED) and the seat back TED exceeds 60 degrees. This is caused by improper venting and is more pronounced in colder temperatures. Some have had luck by waiting till the cabin warms and allowing the seat to heat more slowly by starting on the first heat setting and slowly turning it up.

Does your seatback seem to heat fine but the bottom stays cold?

Last edited by Nopike; 02-01-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Nissan maxima

I finally figured out what is going on. The issues are purely mechanical in nature. The electrical portion of all the climate control seats are probably just fine.

Seems like most, if not all of us, have issues with the seat cushion not providing heat but the seat back actually heats very well. At least that was the case with my car and the other Maxima's that I have driven.

Since my seat back heater (TED) was working well I decided to take a look at it. I noticed that the duct that provides heat from the TED to the seat back was very well sealed and installed tightly so that there are no gaps for the heated air to escape. Whereas the duct that went from my seat cushion TED to the cushion was totally misaligned with approximately an inch gap. There also appeared to be a plastic flange missing that helps direct the air into the cushion.

I created an extension of the duct so that the gap was no longer present and the heated air has nowhere to go but into the cushion. This solved the problem to some degree. Those who are having issues need to make sure this ducting is properly installed and there are no gaps for the heated or cooled air to escape. The TED's do not put out a great deal of heat so if the system is not well sealed, the heated air will escape and never make it to the cushion.

The problem is due to poor alignment, sizing and improper installation of this ducting.

1) This is the seat cushion TED. When heating, warm air is blown out of the top. At the same time cool air is discharged thru the front of the TED. The front is facing you. Ducting is not required for the front.
Attachment 25271

2) This opening at the bottom of the seat cushion is where the TED mounts and warm air is directed into the seat.
The seatback has a black plastic flange that the ducting mounts into. That makes for a nice tight seal. The flange is not even present on the seat cushion.
Attachment 25272

3) Note the large gap between the rubber ducting and the seat cushion. This ducting needs to be almost air tight for the TED to work properly. With an air gap such as this no heat will reach the seat. Any small gap here will also cause problems. The TED's do not put out enough heat to overcome this leakage. The TED's actually work better if the seal is almost air tight. Compared to the seatback ducting it appears there are parts missing including a flange that mounts into the hole of the seat cushion.
Attachment 25273
I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima and the drivers seat heater doesn't work anymore it just makes a horrible vibrating sound and doesn't heat any more. I have tried to find parts online and I can't find anything. I was wondering how you aquired the parts?
Old 06-08-2020, 01:16 PM

I cant believe I have waited 5 years to fix my car, but here goes my solution
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ml#post9223308