7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Coilover feedback wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 AM

Coilover feedback wanted

This will be my first real thread since joining here a little while back and I'm hoping to get some honest feedback on your experiences with different coilover systems available for our Maximas. I've done a good amount of looking around and reading reviews, etc. I'd like to get feedback on any coilovers I have listed and also see if anyone else out there has other experiences with brands I may have missed.

I had a set of D2s on my 2013 Sonata Turbo (which I just traded in to get the Max). For the money, they were just fine but the impact felt going over virtually any bump was terrible in my opinion. I don't track my car, nor do I plan to but there have got to be better options out there to deliver some more comfort along with style. The impact on the D2s wasn't good whether riding on 245/35/20 tires or 215/55/16 tires....and that was set anywhere from full soft to anywhere in between.

So far I've found:

BC Coilovers
ISC Coilovers
D2 Coilovers (as noted, not interested)
Megan Coilovers
Tein Coilovers (I think another member found they will fit Altima and Maxima)
Cusco Coilovers
Stance Coilovers (Anyone know if these fit?)

I'd like to break it up by coils on a budget (say about $1000 or less) and also coils if money were no object. Thanks in advance to anyone that can chime in here.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm also in the market for some coilovers or upgrading the suspension in general.

Tagging along since I am curious as well.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 PM

Nobody has anything to add? Bump
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM

My shop has several vehicles running on D2 coilovers, not a maxima, but may other. Every vehicle has a comfortable ride it's all in how you set the damper and you really have to play with that per vehicle.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM

stick to BC with 10k spring rate up front and 8k rear.

Last edited by BBmaxi; 03-05-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
stick to BC with 10k spring rate up front and 8k rear.
I saw the initial post you had with all the different coils you tried out. I think that was pretty good information to keep up there on your findings man.

You happen to try out the Swift Springs with the BC coils or just the 10k/8k setup.

Pretty much, you would not stick with the default 7k front and rear that the BCs come with, is what I am gathering from this...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 PM

Hello, yeah definitely get 10k front and 8k rear. I just got my BC's installed and they feel great. It's only been a day so it's a little too early to say much.

the rebound is very quick and feel's very strong. 10K and 8k would be considered standard for a 6 cylinder sedan the size and weight of the a35.

A lot of guys who are more serious about riding low will opt for something even higher like 12k to 14k. I know some of the japanese coilovers for VIPCAR 8 cylinder big body sedans go all the way up to 16k up front. It's super stiff but rebounds super fast and protects your suspension from bottoming out.

As for Swift, I'm not too familiar with them but they do get good feedback on user forums.

so far with the BC I don't get any noise at all. it's the way a coilover system should be. I wasted so much time on my former Megan's trying to trouble shoot the problem only to confirm that it was a junk product. Megan's are more of a novelty product....disposable. Junk after about 6 months.

Originally Posted by WrightOne86
I saw the initial post you had with all the different coils you tried out. I think that was pretty good information to keep up there on your findings man.

You happen to try out the Swift Springs with the BC coils or just the 10k/8k setup.

Pretty much, you would not stick with the default 7k front and rear that the BCs come with, is what I am gathering from this...
Old 09-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Any updates on the BCs now that people have had them a while?
How is the ride compared to Eibachs?
Anything break?

Still feel that 10kg/8kg is the best rates?

I"m ordering next month and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:35 AM

any updates on this thread. I am looking for some New coilovers for my 2014 as well. any info on Ksport. ,

who is the best to get the coilovers from. which version of BC with the 10K/8K spring setup is best for street and some sporty increase.

TIA .
Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 AM

I just got mine a coue days ago, and will be installing next weekend.
I'll make a thread about it then.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Hey Guys,

I have the BC 10k front and rear, they have been good, but as stated you have to play with your damper setting to achieve your comfort levels. I'm still int he process of adjusting, and I suggest you buy the extenders for the rear adjustments as it is a ***** to get your hands in there to adjust the setting ( for guys with larger hands).

IF you plan to have a shop install them, make sure you find one that specialize in the installs and know what they are doing.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 09max_sv
Hey Guys,

I have the BC 10k front and rear, they have been good, but as stated you have to play with your damper setting to achieve your comfort levels. I'm still int he process of adjusting, and I suggest you buy the extenders for the rear adjustments as it is a ***** to get your hands in there to adjust the setting ( for guys with larger hands).

IF you plan to have a shop install them, make sure you find one that specialize in the installs and know what they are doing.
why is that , Shock/struts are pretty straight forward usually. Is there some issue we should know about. good call on the extenders, really defeats the purpose of adjustment if you can reach them to make adjustments.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:37 AM

I've had my BC coilovers (extreme drop kit) for about 15k miles now. (Purchased Dec 2013). No issues or noises at all. I ordered 10k spring rates on all fours and the ride night and day compared to the Eibach's (excellent on turns). I currently have my dampening set to the middle on the rears and 2 clicks on the firm side (from the middle) on the front.
As far as streetability , I had once set the dampening 2 clicks from the softest setting on all 4 and they seemed similar to the Eibachs, but slightly stiffer. I generally like to feel the road so I have them set on the stiffer side, which is still tolerable IMO.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:29 PM

ya bc's are pretty good. they hold up pretty well.

I used to have megans but they were trash. sold em and got bc's.

I havw 10K and 8K at back, I would actually go 12k at front just for added stiffness for those that ride really low.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:16 PM

whats everyones thoughts on 8k rear vs 10K, I am just going to drop it some. no hard slams. I have to many steep drives and drop offs here in TX. I like a firm sporty ride but not really wanting to knock loose a kidney stone.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Ksport Kontrol Pro kits are the best budget coilovers at around $1,000, for the best that would be AirRex digital air coilover kit at about $5,000. BC's are good if you get the ER type about $2,000. I'ven ridden in a 2014 maxima, not mine, with the AirRex system, just amazing technology and ride, all remote adjustments. I've also driven a newer camaro and charger with the Ksport kits and they are top of line period. BC's I have only read about but are made from a company that specializes in track suspensions so you got to pay a little more for a smooth ride. Everything else is pretty much garbage in big name brands.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:13 PM

stick to 8k at rear, and do 12K at front.

10K at front is good to but if you go super duper low go with 12K.