7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Question of engine sound after cool down for 10-30 minutes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:59 AM

Question of engine sound after cool down for 10-30 minutes.

Greetings everyone,
I am worried about my engine sounding different and weird after I leave it to do some shopping for 10 to 30 minutes.

What happens before the weird sound:
I commute from VA to MD during the horri-bad rush hour, so it is mostly stop and go, stop and go for 1 to 2 hours. The I-495 stretch from VA-193 to I-270 portion is just BAD. Driving on VA-193 is very hilly and curvy, so I set the CVT in Ds for engine braking, and once I reach I-495, D mode again.
I-270 moves a bit better, so driving is... "normal".

So here is where it starts: I get to my destination, park, engine off, and I go inside for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes and do some shopping. When I come back out, I turn on the engine, and it sounds different.

How it sounds:
It is hard to describe it, but something along the lines of
  • Scratchy - I let the oil run through the engine of course for 30 seconds and then start moving. But this noise persists after the 30 seconds.
    Scratchy as if the pistons moving are the source of the sound, or something is scratching something. It does not sound metalic, but more like a plastic-y?
  • Knocking - When I start moving out, as I press on the accelerator, it the knocking sound increases in volume and speed. It sounds like the bearing knock from that other thread but louder and more hollow sounding.
  • More vibration - Not a sound of course, but I can definitely feel the engine stumble a bit and more pronounced vibrations. Definitely not the usual smoothness.
This weird sound goes away after about 3-5 minutes of driving, once I have left the parking spot.
Since I worry for the car engine, I take it slow, until the sound has gone away, so I cannot tell if there is any power loss or other funkyness.

Other notes:
Oil maintenance, oil filter, air filter, everything, done at the dealer at the recommended intervals. They use Valvoline ester oil, but I plan to bring my own Mobil 1 Synthetic next oil change onwards.

Any ideas? I need to leave for work, so I may update this question later on today.