7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

D vs Ds

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM

D vs Ds

I know it is generally thought that D mode is faster than Ds (better 1/4 mile times, etc.), but does anyone agree that the throttle response seems much better in Ds mode? In D mode, you seem to have to ease into the 2-3k RPM range and then you can get on it. If you get on it from a stop or sub 1.5-2k RPMs it seems to bog down a little for a short while in D mode. Does anyone else experience this?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 AM

are you riding the clutch?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
are you riding the clutch?
Thanks for reminding me about that little problem... I just can't seem to break the habit!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Lol @ Ghozt...

Ds holds the ratio (it's gearless duh) longer so maybe that's what makes it seem better, faster, response, etc...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 AM

I think you have commented about the throttle feathering before, no? You kind of have to ease into it and then it takes off. In Ds, it just goes. I think it is a gas saving feature in D mode... the equivalent of starting in 2nd gear. It's like it jumps right to "first gear" in Ds mode.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Kawowski, what year is your max? I got a 2010 and have been noticing some bogging down in d mode. I was going to call the dealer and see if there's some type of reflash for tranny
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM

If you leave it in Ds and shift it manually it would be faster I would guess? I haven't really beat on my car to much yet to know. 300 miles on it. But I did notice in Ds mode it seems to be shifting around 5000 at WOT.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
Kawowski, what year is your max? I got a 2010 and have been noticing some bogging down in d mode. I was going to call the dealer and see if there's some type of reflash for tranny
2010. I had the valve body replaced in my CVT and that made a HUGE difference. What I am talking about now is really just comparison. Ds seems to be ready to go with regards to throttle response... D just seems a little too conservative unless you ease into it and then really give it some gas.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Racerbox77
If you leave it in Ds and shift it manually it would be faster I would guess? I haven't really beat on my car to much yet to know. 300 miles on it. But I did notice in Ds mode it seems to be shifting around 5000 at WOT.
I'm not really talking about "faster." I'm talking throttle response... mainly at low RPMs. D is the "fastest" setting b/c the transmission always has you at the optimum torque. I just feel the engine is kind of lugging in D (at lower RPMs) when driving "normally" or conservative.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kawowski
I'm not really talking about "faster." I'm talking throttle response... mainly at low RPMs. D is the "fastest" setting b/c the transmission always has you at the optimum torque. I just feel the engine is kind of lugging in D (at lower RPMs) when driving "normally" or conservative.
I get the same thing..... I always use different gas and wondered if that maybe had something to do with it - because it isn't always sluggish under these conditions ...

Sometimes it's fast and perky and ready to pounce like a cat - at other times I feel like it's sluggish and geared like a tractor...
Old 11-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Given equivalent circumstances, a shifting tranny is less efficient in both accelleration and fuel efficiency than a tranny that does not shift, and that is why accelleration is faster in D than in Ds. This has been proven beyond question on the track with several 7th gen Maximas over the last five years, and reported (with photos of the printouts of the electronic timing devices) here on the org several times.

BUT

I think the situation the OP is asking about is that starting out from a stop in Ds mode seems to avoid the sort of mushy start the early 7th gens had in D mode. And I think he is correct. But, as several here reported back around 2010, there is an adjustment or service bulletin of some kind that enables the dealer to fix that sluggish start in D mode the early 7th gens were famous for. That mushy start saved fuel, but made for less brisk starts off the line.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I think the situation the OP is asking about is that starting out from a stop in Ds mode seems to avoid the sort of mushy start the early 7th gens had in D mode. And I think he is correct. But, as several here reported back around 2010, there is an adjustment or service bulletin of some kind that enables the dealer to fix that sluggish start in D mode the early 7th gens were famous for. That mushy start saved fuel, but made for less brisk starts off the line.
This... yes! I will add that I have had the "flash" for the TCM and a new valve body replaced that supposedly brought the CVT up to a 2012 model equivalent of the internals. The flash did not seem to last but the valve body helped tremendously. I think the bogged down feeling I am getting in D is due to:

1) I am super conservative until the oil (not just the coolant) and CVT fluid is fully warm every cold start... even more so in the winter.
2) I am forced to drive conservatively a lot of the time due to traffic and driving situations.

I think these two things contribute to the ECM "learning" that I drive conservatively, so sometimes when I try to drive more aggressively the computer isn't ready to do so. This is easily bypassed in Ds. My point I am trying to confirm is not that Ds is faster... I know it is not... but the throttle response at low RPMs is significantly more crisp due to my driving circumstances and probable ECM learning situation I listed above.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 PM

This... yes! I will add that I have had the "flash" for the TCM and a new valve body replaced that supposedly brought the CVT up to a 2012 model equivalent of the internals. The flash did not seem to last but the valve body helped tremendously. I think the bogged down feeling I am getting in D is due to:

1) I am super conservative until the oil (not just the coolant) and CVT fluid is fully warm every cold start... even more so in the winter.
2) I am forced to drive conservatively a lot of the time due to traffic and driving situations.

I think these two things contribute to the ECM "learning" that I drive conservatively, so sometimes when I try to drive more aggressively the computer isn't ready to do so. This is easily bypassed in Ds. My point I am trying to confirm is not that Ds is faster... I know it is not... but the throttle response at low RPMs is significantly more crisp due to my driving circumstances and probable ECM learning situation I listed above.
I tend to think you may be on the right track here. Yes, this modern Maxima indeed does 'learn' our driving habits, and that learning process would be negatively influenced by our inability to actually drive as we would like because of traffic. I have somehow ended up stuck on interstates for hours in traffic on every trip I have made to Atlanta in recent months, so I am thankful my Maxima accellerates at all.

Under these circumstances, I would not be at all surprised if, although the D mode gives better overall accelleration, the Ds mode would give a crisper initial start off the line because it 'sets the gear ratio' at an RPM level higher than the normal D start, giving more torque/power.

I'm not sure I have seen this discussed much here on the org. Interesting.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 AM

What about starting off in Ds then flicking the shifter over to D after about 30 mph? It works just not sure there any difference.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM

What about starting off in Ds then flicking the shifter over to D after about 30 mph? It works just not sure there any difference.
There have been times in the distant past when I regularly (and foolishly) cruised fifty mile or longer stretches without dropping below 110 MPH on what were once totally deserted roads in the desert southwest, but I have never been a 'wide open throttle' type. I have never redlined a vehicle, and I began driving in the 1940s. But those into maximum accelleration may wish to try Racerbox77's method and tell us if that seems to make a difference.

I don't think it will reduce elapsed time very much, because the quicker initial start may be partially offset by the one shift involved when switching from Ds to D. But I'm sure it will seem much quicker, and may be more fun.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:06 PM

I think I'll just drive around town in Ds... knock it into D once up to speed on the highway... then back to Ds when I exit the highway. Maybe that will get around the computer "learning" and thinking I am a conservative driver.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 AM

but I have never been a 'wide open throttle' type. I have never redlined a vehicle, and I began driving in the 1940s. .

Did you witness the Titanic sink and/or the Red Sox win the World Series in 1918?
Old 11-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan31
Did you witness the Titanic sink and/or the Red Sox win the World Series in 1918?
No, but my Dad remembered the Titanic sinking, and watched Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb and all the other stars of those early days in person while working in NYC in the 1920s. Did you know that Babe Ruth began his career as a pitcher, and was pitching for the Rox in the late teens before being bought by the Yanks in 1923?

I do remember walking to school barefoot in the late 1930s. It seemed like almost nobody had a job in the backwoods area where I grew up during the depression. But a few well-to-do families in the neighboring county managed to have a Cord or Terraplane or Auburn or Model T. At that time. most of the folks with powerful, up-to-date vehicles around where I lived were bootleggers running moonshine.

I do remember my Dad showing me the newspaper December 10th, 1941 (press coverage was not as fast back then), with the top half of the front page showing the U.S. Navy fleet burning in the harbor at Honolulu. He told me we were in for a long war. He was right. Back then, a four year war was a long war.

I have often daydreamed about what folks back then would have thought if they could have seen a car like the 7th gen Maxima. Neither my Dad's parents nor my Mom's parents (all born in the 1860s and 1870s) ever owned a motorized vehicle (they had horses and wagons). My Mom never attempted to drive, and my Dad was sort of a 'creepy-crawler', as 25 MPH seemed like a good speed to him. On those winding mountain roads with those antiquated vehicles, he was probably right.

But time passes and things change. Since I began driving around 1945 by moving tractor trailers between warehouse bays at the trucking company owned by my Dad and my uncle (I was not yet old enough for a driver's license), I have driven almost two million miles.

I have driven during an era when two or three speed manuals were the only tranny available, and am now driving in an era when manuals are considered by many folks as a 'playboy throwback' to an era when driving a manual was considered a 'manly' thing to do.

I have driven in an era when tire treads were around 2 1/2 to 5 inches wide, and am now driving in an era when tire treads are usually around a foot or so wide. I have driven in an ear when there was no such thing as a tubeless tire, and am now driving in an era when there are virtually no tubed car tires.

I have driven in an era where tire profiles (had profiles been denoted at that time) were well over 100, and now drive in an era where OEM tire profiles can be as low as 40, and tires with profiles under 40 are readily available.

I have driven in an era when a wrench dropped while working under the hood always fell straight to the ground, and am now in an era where that wrench would never reach the ground, and might be difficult to even find.

I have driven during an era when it was difficult to find a car in any color except black, and am now in an era where almost any color (including pink) can be seen on the road.

But, automotive-wise, I feel as if I have lived during the absolutely most exciting and wonderful era there has ever been. For me personally, the last six generations of the Maxima have brought me the most pleasure and satisfaction of any vehicles I have ever driven.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 PM

I know it is generally thought that D mode is faster than Ds (better 1/4 mile times, etc.), but does anyone agree that the throttle response seems much better in Ds mode? In D mode, you seem to have to ease into the 2-3k RPM range and then you can get on it. If you get on it from a stop or sub 1.5-2k RPMs it seems to bog down a little for a short while in D mode. Does anyone else experience this?
Has anyone tried starting in DS mode and then switching over to D before the first shift? Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stelianos
Has anyone tried starting in DS mode and then switching over to D before the first shift? Just a thought.
I've done a few M1 or M2-mode shifts into to D. Problem is the switch-over doesn't normally work too well due to the CVT dunking the rev's when hitting D-mode.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:57 AM

No, but my Dad remembered the Titanic sinking, and watched Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb and all the other stars of those early days in person while working in NYC in the 1920s. Did you know that Babe Ruth began his career as a pitcher, and was pitching for the Rox in the late teens before being bought by the Yanks in 1923?

I do remember walking to school barefoot in the late 1930s. It seemed like almost nobody had a job in the backwoods area where I grew up during the depression. But a few well-to-do families in the neighboring county managed to have a Cord or Terraplane or Auburn or Model T. At that time. most of the folks with powerful, up-to-date vehicles around where I lived were bootleggers running moonshine.

I do remember my Dad showing me the newspaper December 10th, 1941 (press coverage was not as fast back then), with the top half of the front page showing the U.S. Navy fleet burning in the harbor at Honolulu. He told me we were in for a long war. He was right. Back then, a four year war was a long war.

I have often daydreamed about what folks back then would have thought if they could have seen a car like the 7th gen Maxima. Neither my Dad's parents nor my Mom's parents (all born in the 1860s and 1870s) ever owned a motorized vehicle (they had horses and wagons). My Mom never attempted to drive, and my Dad was sort of a 'creepy-crawler', as 25 MPH seemed like a good speed to him. On those winding mountain roads with those antiquated vehicles, he was probably right.

But time passes and things change. Since I began driving around 1945 by moving tractor trailers between warehouse bays at the trucking company owned by my Dad and my uncle (I was not yet old enough for a driver's license), I have driven almost two million miles.

I have driven during an era when two or three speed manuals were the only tranny available, and am now driving in an era when manuals are considered by many folks as a 'playboy throwback' to an era when driving a manual was considered a 'manly' thing to do.

I have driven in an era when tire treads were around 2 1/2 to 5 inches wide, and am now driving in an era when tire treads are usually around a foot or so wide. I have driven in an ear when there was no such thing as a tubeless tire, and am now driving in an era when there are virtually no tubed car tires.

I have driven in an era where tire profiles (had profiles been denoted at that time) were well over 100, and now drive in an era where OEM tire profiles can be as low as 40, and tires with profiles under 40 are readily available.

I have driven in an era when a wrench dropped while working under the hood always fell straight to the ground, and am now in an era where that wrench would never reach the ground, and might be difficult to even find.

I have driven during an era when it was difficult to find a car in any color except black, and am now in an era where almost any color (including pink) can be seen on the road.

But, automotive-wise, I feel as if I have lived during the absolutely most exciting and wonderful era there has ever been. For me personally, the last six generations of the Maxima have brought me the most pleasure and satisfaction of any vehicles I have ever driven.
Wonderful post.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 AM

No, but my Dad remembered the Titanic sinking, and watched Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb and all the other stars of those early days in person while working in NYC in the 1920s. Did you know that Babe Ruth began his career as a pitcher, and was pitching for the Rox in the late teens before being bought by the Yanks in 1923? I do remember walking to school barefoot in the late 1930s. It seemed like almost nobody had a job in the backwoods area where I grew up during the depression. But a few well-to-do families in the neighboring county managed to have a Cord or Terraplane or Auburn or Model T. At that time. most of the folks with powerful, up-to-date vehicles around where I lived were bootleggers running moonshine. I do remember my Dad showing me the newspaper December 10th, 1941 (press coverage was not as fast back then), with the top half of the front page showing the U.S. Navy fleet burning in the harbor at Honolulu. He told me we were in for a long war. He was right. Back then, a four year war was a long war. I have often daydreamed about what folks back then would have thought if they could have seen a car like the 7th gen Maxima. Neither my Dad's parents nor my Mom's parents (all born in the 1860s and 1870s) ever owned a motorized vehicle (they had horses and wagons). My Mom never attempted to drive, and my Dad was sort of a 'creepy-crawler', as 25 MPH seemed like a good speed to him. On those winding mountain roads with those antiquated vehicles, he was probably right. But time passes and things change. Since I began driving around 1945 by moving tractor trailers between warehouse bays at the trucking company owned by my Dad and my uncle (I was not yet old enough for a driver's license), I have driven almost two million miles. I have driven during an era when two or three speed manuals were the only tranny available, and am now driving in an era when manuals are considered by many folks as a 'playboy throwback' to an era when driving a manual was considered a 'manly' thing to do. I have driven in an era when tire treads were around 2 1/2 to 5 inches wide, and am now driving in an era when tire treads are usually around a foot or so wide. I have driven in an ear when there was no such thing as a tubeless tire, and am now driving in an era when there are virtually no tubed car tires. I have driven in an era where tire profiles (had profiles been denoted at that time) were well over 100, and now drive in an era where OEM tire profiles can be as low as 40, and tires with profiles under 40 are readily available. I have driven in an era when a wrench dropped while working under the hood always fell straight to the ground, and am now in an era where that wrench would never reach the ground, and might be difficult to even find. I have driven during an era when it was difficult to find a car in any color except black, and am now in an era where almost any color (including pink) can be seen on the road. But, automotive-wise, I feel as if I have lived during the absolutely most exciting and wonderful era there has ever been. For me personally, the last six generations of the Maxima have brought me the most pleasure and satisfaction of any vehicles I have ever driven.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Light. Your elegant prose was as heartwarming as it was educational.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM

Perfect reply. Ive enjoyed this more than almost every thread I've ever read here.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Nice post light. I liked the part about the time when a wrench would actually fall to the ground. Lol
Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM

Light, thank you for that terrific post! It deserves an award. You ARE the man!