7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Weird nosie when I accelerate.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 AM

Weird nosie when I accelerate.

So on my 09, recently when I accelerate slowly in the mornings, I hear a sond coming from the front passenger side. Now if I set on the gas more or get up to speed, it goes away.

Its that small acceleration that makes the noise. I would describe the noise by saying it sounds like if I left 2 CD cases in my passenger doors map area and they are just moving around (no, there is nothing there or the glove box).

My guess is that it is this but no sure what I should do. I am out of warranty had a chance to call the dealer yet. Any ideas or recommendations?

10-077 06/10/2010 Brakes - ABS Self Check Noise Explanation

^Clicking, knocking, clunking, buzzing, or thumping noise coming from the engine compartment area; and
^The noise occurs only once during the first few seconds of driving at approximately 16 MPH; and
^The noise occurs only once per ignition cycle (ignition OFF > ON) and does not occur again until the ignition is cycled.

NOTE:
The noise may be louder after the vehicle has not been operated for a prolonged period of time. The above condition is normal and does not need repair. Each time the ignition is turned on and the vehicle is driven at about 16 mph, the ABS/VDC system performs a "Self-Check" to confirm components of the ABS/VDC system are operating correctly. This "Self-Check" function created the noise described above. If the brakes are being applied when the "Self-Check" occurs, a vibration may be felt in the brake pedal and an increased level of noise may be noticed.

NOTE:
^Refer customers to the Owners Manual, Section 5, Starting and driving, Brake system on the Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS). The "Self-test feature" section provides additional explanation.
^The speeds described above refer specifically to Versa, Sentra, Altima, and Maxima. However, any vehicle fitted with ABS or ABS/VDC will have a "Self-Check" which is triggered in similar circumstances.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:03 PM

I think I may be able to help you determine whether your noise is the ABS adjustment.

If you hear this noise at speeds below 15 MPH or above 22 MPH, it is NOT the ABS/VDC adjustment.

If the sound lasts more than two or three seconds, it is NOT the ABS/VDC adjustment.

If you have owned this car for more than a few months, and the noise only began recently, it is NOT the ABS/VDC adjustment.

If your noise is not the ABS/VDC adjustment, you may need to have someone you trust drive your Maxima while you sit in the front passenger seat and have the driver start up and slowly speed up over and over. Each time, as the noise starts, press and push and pull on everything until you find your efforts are affecting the noise (i.e., changing its loudness or tone, etc). That should help you pin down the place the noise is coming from.

If nothing you touch changes the noise, and the niose has a sort of dullnes to it, it may be that it is coming from outside the passenger cabin, and may be from the engine compartment or underneath the car.