7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Rotor and pad replacement issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 AM

Rotor and pad replacement issue

This past weekend I replaced all rotors and pads and all hardware associated with the replacement. After doing so there has been a pulsating issue when braking only above 60 mph. Also, there is not a vibration issue when just driving without braking. Any ideas on what the issue could be. My only assumption is maybe a bad rotor, but is there a way to figure that out without replacing one at a time?

I know the vibration without braking cannot be tires or alignment as I just had brand new tires put on 5K miles ago and just had them rotated. The vibrations only occurred right after the brake job.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW the car is a 2009 Sport model.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 AM

what brand pads/rotors? sounds like the stuff you used either had defects or wasnt installed right. definitely shouldnt vibrate when brand new.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
what brand pads/rotors? sounds like the stuff you used either had defects or wasnt installed right. definitely shouldnt vibrate when brand new.
I used all Duralast product. I've used this brand on all my cars and never had a problem.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 AM

yea duralast is okay. id double check on the installation then. take the rotors off and make sure the wheel hubs are clean - scrape them with a wire brush if they're rusty. torque all lugs down to the same exact spec. then follow duralasts bed-in procedure; im assuming you bedded them in? its very common for new brakes that werent bedded in correctly to vibrate
Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 AM

yea duralast is okay. id double check on the installation then. take the rotors off and make sure the wheel hubs are clean - scrape them with a wire brush if they're rusty. torque all lugs down to the same exact spec. then follow duralasts bed-in procedure; im assuming you bedded them in? its very common for new brakes that werent bedded in correctly to vibrate
So I Google'd bedding pads and I definitely didn't do that nor have I ever with any brake job I've done in the past?

Is there anything I can do to correct this or do I have to buy new pads and rotors or live with it?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would do as suggested first and make sure everything was installed correctly and tightened back up properly, including the lug nuts. Ive been doing my own brakes for 10+ years and never "bedded" them either. But, I just replaced all my rotors and pads with Powerstop products and they made it very clear in there instructions to "bed" the brakes after installation. This is my first set of slotted and drilled rotors, so I wasnt sure if that plays a role or not.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by a-b3
I would do as suggested first and make sure everything was installed correctly and tightened back up properly, including the lug nuts. Ive been doing my own brakes for 10+ years and never "bedded" them either. But, I just replaced all my rotors and pads with Powerstop products and they made it very clear in there instructions to "bed" the brakes after installation. This is my first set of slotted and drilled rotors, so I wasnt sure if that plays a role or not.
So, I double checked everything this weekend and took my Dad for a ride and when we got out he noticed a burning smell coming from rear right rotor and it was also very hot. I went and bought a new one then had the old one warrantied and we put that one on and I'm still getting the vibrations without braking and the pulsating when braking at higher speeds. No Idea what this could be. No rotors are getting hot or have the burning smell.

Any other suggestions?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM

That burning smell could mean that you have a sticking caliper.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM

Burning and hot would lead me to believe a stuck caliper as well.
Did you twist the rears in, or just compress them?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
That burning smell could mean that you have a sticking caliper.
Both of these exactly!! Sounds like a defective rotor(warped) and a sticking caliper.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM

be sure to torque wheels properly. Overtightening the wheels can bend the hub section of the rotor. That can and will cause vibration when you are both on and off the brake pedal. Like the other guys stated, check the calipers but also check to see if the slides are moving. if you have a frozen slide (stuck not cold) it will cause a pad to stay applied and overheat everything.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Sorry to bump this post... but does anyone know the bolt size for the caliper bracket? I want to change out the front rotors this weekend.

When I replaced my brake pads, I noticed the stock ones had two metal shims. I re-installed the outermost one on the new pads (Duralast ceramic). So far no noise or squeeking. I also used moly grease on the back of the pads. Maybe this will help?

Also, remember to clean the new rotors with brake cleaner, as they come with a thin layer of oil that you need to remove.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:13 AM

Sound like u have frozen pistons somewhere .