7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

BOP Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

BOP Worth it?

I see a whole lot of conflicting opinions on installing a BOP. What is the general consensus? Do you have them? Have you ever had them?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Well starting a new thread on an old subject that's been debated for years will just get you more conflicting opinions. As far as I know there is no documentation as to improved or diminished performance, (ie: a dyno run), however there is a lot of butt dyno reports out there. My question is if this is such a great idea to some why didn't Nissan engineering install it from the get go??
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Svenhook
I see a whole lot of conflicting opinions on installing a BOP. What is the general consensus? Do you have them? Have you ever had them?

Thanks guys.
...let the search button be your friend.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Well starting a new thread on an old subject that's been debated for years will just get you more conflicting opinions. As far as I know there is no documentation as to improved or diminished performance, (ie: a dyno run), however there is a lot of butt dyno reports out there. My question is if this is such a great idea to some why didn't Nissan engineering install it from the get go??
Agreed that starting a new thread won't shed new light on the issue.

Regarding "why Nissan didn't make it that way" you could arguably say that about any part you add to the car that improves the looks or performance. Like why didn't they use Eibach springs stock and prefer to have everyone drive a 4x4? The world may never know.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM

I have the BOPs..I think my car moves quicker in the high end. But at the same time I feel like it moves slower on the low end. Then again, I am neurotic..so honestly I don't know.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to start a new thread but I've done a bunch of searches but people's opinions change and also was curious how they've stood up over time. I was more just curious as to who has had them and if they have kept them on or not and what performance differences they've seen over time. Seems there was a lot of talk when these first were designed and produced, but a lot less as of lately.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
I have the BOPs..I think my car moves quicker in the high end. But at the same time I feel like it moves slower on the low end. Then again, I am neurotic..so honestly I don't know.
Thanks for the response! How long have you had them on?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Nobody has dyno'd the BOP's other than SuraTT with his 5.7 Gen Maxima that he swapped our motor into with a manual trans. Aaron at NWP tested a BOP and showed low end losses (as expected with a BOP) but only a gain of 1 HP up top. There is debate as to how this applies to our car since we have the CVT transmission and different ECU so some feel like there are too many variables, while others feel like it is an accurate assessment since it is the same engine.

Personally I still have mine on, I experimented with taking them off after hearing about the 5.7 dyno results and I noticed enough of a difference (slight) that made me want to put them back on. Even if in reality it ends up just being a couple horses, it's not exactly an expensive part or complicated install.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Svenhook
Sorry to start a new thread but I've done a bunch of searches but people's opinions change and also was curious how they've stood up over time. I was more just curious as to who has had them and if they have kept them on or not and what performance differences they've seen over time. Seems there was a lot of talk when these first were designed and produced, but a lot less as of lately.

Thanks for the response! How long have you had them on?
Atleast 6 Months..No problems yet. Although recently my Engine Service Soon Light came on for a few days..but it is off now..So Idk what that means. I'll be gone for a month in my car so hopefully nothing goes wrong..
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM

I had them on and did feel a difference. After the reviews I took them off. I wanted to put them back on but got lazy and think I'm selling the car soon. I do still have them and they're basically brand new. Name your price plus shipping and they're yours so you can give them a try for yourself. You can PM me and we can chat further.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Nobody has dyno'd the BOP's other than SuraTT with his 5.7 Gen Maxima that he swapped our motor into with a manual trans. Aaron at NWP tested a BOP and showed low end losses (as expected with a BOP) but only a gain of 1 HP up top. There is debate as to how this applies to our car since we have the CVT transmission and different ECU so some feel like there are too many variables, while others feel like it is an accurate assessment since it is the same engine.

Personally I still have mine on, I experimented with taking them off after hearing about the 5.7 dyno results and I noticed enough of a difference (slight) that made me want to put them back on. Even if in reality it ends up just being a couple horses, it's not exactly an expensive part or complicated install.
I don't remember Surra testing the BOP's. I do remember him testing his version of a gutted intake manifold.

Also, for clarification, his ECU is a stand alone, so 100% customizable/tuneable/moddable.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I don't remember Surra testing the BOP's. I do remember him testing his version of a gutted intake manifold.

Also, for clarification, his ECU is a stand alone, so 100% customizable/tuneable/moddable.
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...t-results.html
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's a great comparison. Interesting. I would steer clear if I were a 7th gen owner.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the insightful discussion everyone. It sounds like it won't do much for me as a mostly daily driver. I'd like to hit the track eventually but for the most part it sounds like it may not do anything or may make it a little harder on a daily driver. Am I interpreting this correctly? Sorry, im obviously a newb
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM

yeah this was a FLUKE, just something for "CXJ PERFORMANCE" to rip 7th gen owners off on.

check out there site ....LOL

http://cxjperformance.com/
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, from most of the stuff I have seen, it all seems like a matter of preference on if you want low end or high end. Personally, I like owning a four door saloon that can still put all my passengers back in their seats from a light if I want to. Maybe if I lived closer to a track and had an alternate ride for when I break it, I'd change my mind.

And the "why didn't they do it that way from the factory?" just reminds me of the horrible design of the stock intake on the Titans. There's about 6 square inches of extra plastic that restricts the flow of the stock air filter box. Some people will say that it increases the velocity of the air, but whatever. Seems like a no brainer to cut that stuff off, but after I saw that, I stopped trying to justify factory "design decisions".
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't spend money for a few HP at the expense of low end torque with this heavy a$$ car.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
I wouldn't spend money for a few HP at the expense of low end torque with this heavy a$$ car.
^^^this. No one has professed to getting a big enough benefit to justify the low end loss IMO.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Totally agree.

That's one of the things I've always liked about my Maximas....the low end on them.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 PM

Couldn't agree more a few hp for a drop in like 19 ftlbs?! No way!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM

to be honest i never felt anything like a 19 ft/lb drop on the low end, from all the first reviews of the product nobody else did either. that would be VERY noticeable and id have definitely taken them right back off because the low end on this car isn't its strong point. most of my mods i was focusing on their effect low end to see what i could do in that range. huge reason why i went the lengths to get the true CAI in so I wouldn't see the heat soak off the line.

20 ft/lbs is about what i gained from my uprev tune and it was extremely noticeable; so all im saying is if that was the case dont we think more people would be feeling that huge of a loss?