7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2012 max vs. 09 g37x

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2012 max vs. 09 g37x

I'm a new member of your forum. I'm trying to decide between a new Max vs. a used G37X. I'm coming from a Legacy Gt and live in the northeast. So I'm used to having AWD. Not many choices for a new car that I'm happy with for AWD except for the G. There is a leftover 12 Max Ltd, Black on black at my local dealer. I love the styling of this Max. Just gorgeous. However I'm not so sure about losing AWD and getting a car with a CVT. I'd be losing AWD but I would be driving away in a new car vs. one with around 40 to 50k for miles. What is the big deal with the CVT? There seems to be so much controversy about it. Some hate it , some love it. If you consistantly get smooth acceleration with the CVT than I don't get what the issue is. Is the G so much better than the Max that I should settle for a used version to be able to afford it? I'm ready to do that, but I'd be very interested what people who drive the Max think.
thanks,
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Tell us your thoughts about power--is it important to you that the car is really powerful? Would you plan on upgrading and modding the car?

If you test drive the maxima and the power is sufficient for your wants, then go for it. The G has more power, and also the ability to increase that power further if that's your cup of tea. The maxima is a car that you really aren't going to be able to significantly improve the power of. I personally love the CVT, but many dislike it because its the limiting factor in increasing power for the maxima.

The CVT is reliable, fast, smooth, LOTS of benefits associated with it. Some people miss the shifts that they're accustomed to from a regular auto tranny. That wasn't a big deal to me, but for some it is.

The max is a better looking car, but some think that just having a "luxury" badge with Infiniti/Lexus/whatever makes the car better looking (all opinion, of course).

The AWD would be a big thing to consider. If you get the maxima, the stock tires are crap for poor weather. You may want to invest in a set of winter tires. With snow tires, my maxima handles perfectly well (I'm in Utah). However, a max with snow tires vs. an AWD G with snow tires is a fight that the G will win.

Long story short, lots to consider, but don't let the CVT worry you unless you have plans for adding multiple mods and are hoping to get big gains over the stock engine. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM

New vs used anyday of the week.

However, g is better looking than maxima. All subjective of course. Having the infiniti logo doesn't take it better looking. What makes it better looking is the looks.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Let me ask you a simple, yet serious question.

Would you rather wear a new condom or someone's used condom?

If you could answer that..then, well...that is your answer! Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
Let me ask you a simple, yet serious question.

Would you rather wear a new condom or someone's used condom?

If you could answer that..then, well...that is your answer! Good Luck!
And if you just raw dog it ... what kind of car then?

But seriously ... get the Max
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if a used '09 g37x goes for the ssame price as a new '12 max, then the g is overpriced (assuming comparably equiped). As much as I hate to say it (because I love the G), the max is a better deal in my opinion.

As a side note, I love the CVT. Takes a bit to get used to it, but nothing beets how smooth it is.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
if a used '09 g37x goes for the ssame price as a new '12 max, then the g is overpriced (assuming comparably equiped). As much as I hate to say it (because I love the G), the max is a better deal in my opinion.

As a side note, I love the CVT. Takes a bit to get used to it, but nothing beets how smooth it is.
This! The CVT is very smooth, reliable and good on gas! You'll get used to it fairly quickly! The Max has great power, obviously not as much as a G37, but definitely fun to drive! Plus I agree with others, I think the Maxima takes the cake for looks! But that's just personal opinion!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Maxinas body style way more appealing then the G's...gs are a much less comfortable ride than the max, especially if ur a bigger person... If u want to go faster gs are faster, they will fry any max, any day of the week.... If u need some space, and can get over its not as fast then the max is for u... But factoring in a new vs used..no brainer...especially if this is ur everyday cat..
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM

New Maxima
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all the responses. Especially the condom analogy. REally puts things in perspective . I will be keeping everything stock. Don't need anymore power. Just like to have enough on reserve to push it around an open mountain road when I feel like it. I've looked at tons of pics of the G and I still like the Max better. At least as they come stock.

I'm test driving one tonight. Glad to hear all the positive opinions on the CVT. I think all the arguments over the CVT are a waste. In my opinion, just drive one. If you like it , buy the car. If you don't , then go somewhere else. Its completely subjective. There's no right or wrong answer. Its like saying black is better than silver. Thanks everyone.... Hope to be a new member soon.!!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by STICKS34
Thanks for all the responses. Especially the condom analogy. REally puts things in perspective . I will be keeping everything stock. Don't need anymore power. Just like to have enough on reserve to push it around an open mountain road when I feel like it. I've looked at tons of pics of the G and I still like the Max better. At least as they come stock.

I'm test driving one tonight. Glad to hear all the positive opinions on the CVT. I think all the arguments over the CVT are a waste. In my opinion, just drive one. If you like it , buy the car. If you don't , then go somewhere else. Its completely subjective. There's no right or wrong answer. Its like saying black is better than silver. Thanks everyone.... Hope to be a new member soon.!!!!!
Wait ... are you saying black isn't better than silver???

But you're right, a lot of these 'what ifs' come down to preference. The best thing you can do is test drive the cars. You're on a Maxima forum so chances are we're all going to be a bit biased in our opinions.

Good luck with the decision!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by G37guy01
New vs used anyday of the week.

However, g is better looking than maxima. All subjective of course. Having the infiniti logo doesn't take it better looking. What makes it better looking is the looks.
I agree
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM

I notice you are in Conn. There has been an unusual amount of terrible weather in the NYC-NJ-Conn area in recent months, with many thousands of cars flooded. I would not even consider looking at any used vehicle sold in that area without looking very carefully UNDER the floor carpet and UNDER the trunk lining. Dampness or rust in those spots is a positive sign of flooding of some sort.

In fact, if the date of manufacture (on the driver's doorframe plate) was pre-Sandy, I would even check for evidence of water in a new car. Water damage may not be conspicious, and sneaky dealers can mask many symptoms of water, but they can't get rid of all the dampness underneath carpeting and trunk linings. Water damage inevitably leads to troubles later on.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Get a new Maxima. My sister had a 2005 and a 2007 G35X and the car is fast but so small and uncomfortable. The ride is also really stiff. You get more interior room with the Maxiam and it is a very comfortable ride imo. As for losing the AWD, just get dedicated snow tires and you will be just fine. Have always had snows on my maximas and they are excellent in the snow.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I notice you are in Conn. There has been an unusual amount of terrible weather in the NYC-NJ-Conn area in recent months, with many thousands of cars flooded. I would not even consider looking at any used vehicle sold in that area without looking very carefully UNDER the floor carpet and UNDER the trunk lining. Dampness or rust in those spots is a positive sign of flooding of some sort.

In fact, if the date of manufacture (on the driver's doorframe plate) was pre-Sandy, I would even check for evidence of water in a new car. Water damage may not be conspicious, and sneaky dealers can mask many symptoms of water, but they can't get rid of all the dampness underneath carpeting and trunk linings. Water damage inevitably leads to troubles later on.
Good post. I was going to give an answer but this puts certain things in perspective. I live in Florida so I may under estimate how important AWD is. I've never even driven a "sedan" with AWD. For peace of mind, I would stick with the Maxima. Lower maintenance. CVT ultimately adapts to your driving. Only thing is to just set money aside for some top quality winter/snow tires.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 AM

IMHO, I don't see the big deal of "new" over "used". When buying a "new" car, you lose 10-20% in value the second you drive off the lot. Also, new cars are not immune from used car problems. Thinking of all the things we buy or use "used" like a house, apartment, hotel room, rental car, women, men, bowling shoes lol, refurbished goods, just to name a few, buying a used car just to save several thousands of dollars that could go to other things doesn't sound like a bad idea after all. Warranty, mileage and condition matters more than new. I remember my ex wanted a new Tl in 05 over a used 04 . Granted, 4 days later the new car got clipped on rear passenger side panel. Not new anymore. SMH.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jig9798
And if you just raw dog it ... what kind of car then?

But seriously ... get the Max
Always raw ******* it bro! AWOOOOOOOOO
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 AM

Secondly, I'll go with the Max. They look wayyyy better than the g37x. As for power, you gotta really be realistic with yourself think; how fast am I really gonna go and how often. For the casual driver, the Max is fast enough. Some guys on this forum Max's look better than most luxury cars out there, and that's just by adding staggered rims, eibachs and headlight mods. The ONLY thing the Max lacks that really matters is AWD. Hopefully they address that for the 7.5/8th generation models.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jarohnimo
Maxinas body style way more appealing then the G's...gs are a much less comfortable ride than the max, especially if ur a bigger person... If u want to go faster gs are faster, they will fry any max, any day of the week.... If u need some space, and can get over its not as fast then the max is for u... But factoring in a new vs used..no brainer...especially if this is ur everyday cat..
My stepbrother had the cranberry GS...and that car was like a rocket. Very responsive handling. Don't know how Lexus lost its brand appeal because honestly speaking its faster and handles better than Infinity and Acura. Don't see much of them like I used to.