7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Got problems...several DTCs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Got problems...several DTCs.

With 67,000 mi on the odometer, I am out of warranty. It will not be going to a dealership. I'll be figuring this one out myself.

I just pulled into the driveway after a 45 minute drive and noticed the idle speed was really high.

"Service engine soon" light came on, as well as the skid and traction lights, coolant temp gauge on the dashboard reads "C" and the needle kind of fluctuates a little bit here and there.

Codes 0181 and 0183 (fuel temp sensor), 0451 (evap pressure sensor) and 0113 (intake air temp sensor) are stored.

Haven't driven it on the road, but it idles high (like engine is cold).

Coupled with the fact that I just found the TSB for the #1 main bearing being bad which definitely applies to my car. Buying this car was a big mistake.

Anyone got any ideas on the codes? Its looking to me like the ECM is fubar.

Late,
Trav
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
With 67,000 mi on the odometer, I am out of warranty. It will not be going to a dealership. I'll be figuring this one out myself.

I just pulled into the driveway after a 45 minute drive and noticed the idle speed was really high.

"Service engine soon" light came on, as well as the skid and traction lights, coolant temp gauge on the dashboard reads "C" and the needle kind of fluctuates a little bit here and there.

Codes 0181 and 0183 (fuel temp sensor), 0451 (evap pressure sensor) and 0113 (intake air temp sensor) are stored.

Haven't driven it on the road, but it idles high (like engine is cold).

Coupled with the fact that I just found the TSB for the #1 main bearing being bad which definitely applies to my car. Buying this car was a big mistake.

Anyone got any ideas on the codes? Its looking to me like the ECM is fubar.

Late,
Trav
So buying the car was a mistake because of issues? Dont really understand that bc every car has problems none are perfect...
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Gosh. A lot going on here.

I'm a dinosaur from the distant past, and not into all these modern codes, etc, but virtually everyone here on the org who has had the skid and traction lights come on either steadily or intermittently has found that their brake fluid level had dropped to the 'refill' level.

I hope a few knowledgable folks here can help us with the other things you mentioned.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
So buying the car was a mistake because of issues? Dont really understand that bc every car has problems none are perfect...
The biggest reason is the company that made the car. I feel like I am driving around in a ticking time bomb because it has a bad #1 main bearing...well, WTH, I don't feel like its a ticking time bomb...I know it is. That is a pretty big issue. Spinning a bearing on the bottom end yields a car that is car with a blown engine and lots of $$. A car company that has produced numerous vehicles with an incorrectly sized main bearing needs to issue a recall and be responsible for the repair instead of putting it on the owner to pay 1.5x warranty cost to repair it.

I shouldn't be surprised, though. Nissan has a long history of sticking it to the man because it doesn't make good financial sense to actually stand behind your $35,000 product.

Late,
Trav
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM

I would start by cracking the hood and see if anyone did any "mods." I would (as Light mentioned) check my fluids. It may be that in addition to the brake fluid being low, your coolant may be low as well.

Re the evap code, just make sure it clicks 10 times or so when putting on the gas cap. I didn't realize how sensitive mine was until I took it in and found out from the dealer that I have been putting gas in cars for years incorrectly!!!!

How high was this idling?

Re the stored codes for the fuel pump...unfortunately, I would just clear them and see if they come back as I've never seen them before in a Max (an old Altima, yes as the driver was a youngster who never had more than a quarter tank of gas in their life!)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I would start by cracking the hood and see if anyone did any "mods." I would (as Light mentioned) check my fluids. It may be that in addition to the brake fluid being low, your coolant may be low as well.

Re the evap code, just make sure it clicks 10 times or so when putting on the gas cap. I didn't realize how sensitive mine was until I took it in and found out from the dealer that I have been putting gas in cars for years incorrectly!!!!

How high was this idling?

Re the stored codes for the fuel pump...unfortunately, I would just clear them and see if they come back as I've never seen them before in a Max (an old Altima, yes as the driver was a youngster who never had more than a quarter tank of gas in their life!)
Evap code 0451 is for a "sloshing" signal from evap pressure sensor. Gas cap was tight. The code itself is caused by an illogical/scrambled signal. Same thing with the 0181 fuel temp sensor and I think the 0183 was for an excessively high voltage from sensor. Same thing with the air temp sensor (0113).

After driving 45 minutes, the temp gauge on the dash was reading "C" and the needle was kind of fluttering up and down slightly. Engine idle speed was 1700rpm. SES and TRAC and SKID lights were on. It had driven fine until the moment I pulled into driveway. I shut it off, restarted it a couple times, checked gas cap, same thing.

Let it sit for a couple hrs, drove another 45 minutes with no problems. Got up the next day, drove an hour after clearing codes and it was fine and the codes never came back.

I think computer glitch.

Late,
Trav
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Any further problems? What are you planning on doing due to the main bearing issue?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Well...no further problems. All the DTCs were, to the best I can figure, a computer glitch...or I might have a battery ready to crap out.

The main bearing...I was getting things lined up to go quarrel with the dealership and replacing under warranty. Then, I got my oil analysis back yesterday and Blackstone said with 8500mi of use, it was the best oil sample they had seen out of my car and there isnt a hint of bearing wear. Sheet man! Lol. So Ima leave it alone for the moment. I figure I'm ok.

Late,
Trav