7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

AEM Intake Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM

AEM Intake Installed

After talking with a rep from AEM and getting a guarantee that I wouldn't have any issues I ordered it. I couldn't be happier with the intake. I have about 150 miles on it so far and no CEL. The fit and finsh is top notch and the engineering involved with this intake is spot on. Everything fit like a glove, there was not a single issue with the installation. Instructions were perfect and all machined parts were amazing. I went with the powder coat so it looked more factory and less "bling". I showed some people and they think it looks factory.

I got a really good deal from amazon, and ordered it with free shipping by UPS. Ordered it Sunday and got it Friday. Here is a link to the instructions.
http://www.aemintakes.com/instructions/AEM-21-712_inst.pdf

It sounds amazing almost too loud? haha. I listen to my music pretty loud and can hear it over the music. The box seels to the bottom of the hood so it pretty much elminates engine heat from being sucked in. It takes the "ram air" to the next level by actually putting the intake scoop right behind the bumper.

Performance wise it took the computer a little bit to "learn" the difference in air intake. After 20 miles or so you can tell the car picked up power. When you throttle it, the car ramps to 4000 rpm and pulls. It definately picked up power and torque across the entire powerband.

The weather sucks this weekend so all I have for pics is crappy cell phone pics taken with no light around 11:30 pm last night. Once the weather gets better I'll post some better pics.

Intake Scoop behind bumper. You can barely see it in the pic. I used a pen light to try and show it.

Name:  2013-01-11222804_zpsb5386467.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  73.0 KB

Top of scoop to the hose inlet.
Name:  2013-01-11222613_zps556bb6e8.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  62.4 KB

Almost complete.
Name:  2013-01-11225845_zpsbb5e9081.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  66.2 KB

Buttoned up.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 PM

Glad you did it. I hope the CEL stays off for you since it wouldn't for me. Like I said, very high quality product, right?

It definitely takes the air inlet to the next level! I was able to keep all of those parts and still get my refund, so I've got them still installed on my car. I actually have the big black metal enclosure still as well, and I want to set it up around the Injen intake I bought (which was my second choice behind this one).

Good for you man, glad to hear its been going so well so far! I hope this encourages more people to try AEM's intake! (That's what we all need, right? More intakes to argue about which one is best? Lol)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 PM

i know you didnt manufacture this or anything, but whats the purpose behind the new scoop that brings in air from the grill? its got the same fitment as the R2C has with the stock one. the heat shield is still open on one side. air is like water it takes the path of least resistance, so if it can pull air from the open side an inch away vs down a thin plastic tube it's going to be pulling much more air from the engine bay than you think.

looks good though, im sure it you will enjoy it as you would with any other intake!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
i know you didnt manufacture this or anything, but whats the purpose behind the new scoop that brings in air from the grill? its got the same fitment as the R2C has with the stock one. the heat shield is still open on one side. air is like water it takes the path of least resistance, so if it can pull air from the open side an inch away vs down a thin plastic tube it's going to be pulling much more air from the engine bay than you think.

looks good though, im sure it you will enjoy it as you would with any other intake!
Ghozt, you likely have already spotted this since you've put more work/research into an intake than 99% of us, but all of the parts leading up to the metal box are replaced from stock. The plastic scoop, then the rubber shroud/funnel, then the large metal cylinder that actually mates with the metal box are all replaced from stock. They're certainly more able to bring outside air in near the filter element. Obviously without creating an airtight space it's not sucking in strictly that outside air, but I'm convinced that when the car's moving (esp. at higher speeds) the inlet with the AEM parts is gonna be better than stock--air is just able to push into the engine bay more freely. I wish I had equipment to measure IAT's like you did when you were testing. But that I think makes it a little different from r2c, ya?

I think I'm gonna message you on facebook and see what you used to get the IAT data. I'm wanting to test this out. Hoping to find something to plug in and use my iphone to read the car's details. We'll see. Opinions aren't gonna get anyone anywhere with these intake discussions, I want some data. lol
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanks guys, it does look great! I am not worried about the CEL at all because it would come on instantly if their was an issue. The factory ram air tube has the long silencer running parallel to the radiator, is flat, and doesn't direct the air like the new scoop/inlet. The system also replaces the big "rectangle thing" that is on the stock PCV tube.

The basic purpose of the scoop is to direct the cooled air from driving/moving at speed directly into the heat shield where the filter can suck in the air. While driving it keeps constant outside cooled air in the box. I was worried about the rain, but it was raining fairly hard yesterday and the car drove fine through it. I forgot to open the hood and check for water though.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFrost2011
Thanks guys, it does look great! I am not worried about the CEL at all because it would come on instantly if their was an issue. The factory ram air tube has the long silencer running parallel to the radiator, is flat, and doesn't direct the air like the new scoop/inlet. The system also replaces the big "rectangle thing" that is on the stock PCV tube.

The basic purpose of the scoop is to direct the cooled air from driving/moving at speed directly into the heat shield where the filter can suck in the air. While driving it keeps constant outside cooled air in the box. I was worried about the rain, but it was raining fairly hard yesterday and the car drove fine through it. I forgot to open the hood and check for water though.
Right, I was jus saying that's the basic purpose of the OEM scoop too. Unfortunately it doesn't work well with the R2C intake that it butts up against cause the side of the heat shield is open just like this one. Someone should do some testing with this like I did with the R2C
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 AM

Right, I was jus saying that's the basic purpose of the OEM scoop too. Unfortunately it doesn't work well with the R2C intake that it butts up against cause the side of the heat shield is open just like this one. Someone should do some testing with this like I did with the R2C
I read your testing, and was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to see a sensor inside the box and in the tube to see what the temps are. I have an idea to see actual temps but I don't think it's worth it.?. I am happy with their dyno testing results.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Looks good! Nice job on the install. Now I've just got to decide which intake I want to go with.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Excellent write up and good stuff. May have pushed me over the edge to go with AEM...
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM

I will be getting one of these bad boys soon. thanks for the post!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM

Well, there aren't too many intakes showing for the 2013s yet. I contacted AEM, advised I saw the part # for the 2012s, and inquired about the same for the 2013s. I received the following reply from AEM:

"Thank you for choosing AEM, unfortunately we don’t offer any intake system for your application and no other information available regarding production.

All AEM intake systems are tested and designed for each year, make and model vehicle. Although they might look similar to some application we don’t recommend use of any intake system on other than what it was designed for."
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM

It shouldnt be a problem. Just choose the 2012 model. If you get an error code and you followed all the instructions correctly, AEM will refund you. Or just wait for me to do this mod and I will chime in if it worked or not.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM

This intake looks amazing but I am one impatient **** to install this. Do the others require this much detail to instal?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by eljoker
This intake looks amazing but I am one impatient **** to install this. Do the others require this much detail to instal?
Amazing is a big word. Dont expect amazing, just expect good. lol. Install was easy. 10 or 15 minutes extra compared to my Injen. No big deal, I wouldn't worry about it.

And it'll work just the same for the '13's.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM

this is a great intake! exactly what all cars need... resonator gone and replaced with a straight tube, cone filter with a nice housing to protect from heat (and maybe keeps it pressurized?) and at the same time utilizing factory ram air but slightly improved. makes me want to make something like this for my 4th gen...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Thats why I said looks, I know better . How much did you pay for the intake? The CEL being thrown is a 50/50 shot I suppose, but you think its some thing that can be cleared if it pops up.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM

Gotcha joker, it does LOOK great. Lol.

It's a nice intake, but even the stock intake for our car is good. I think aftermarket intakes are an improvement, but it's debatable. As for the heat shield, it doesn't do a lot. Maybe even nothing, lol. And it certainly won't affect any pressures, or have a vacuum. It's not airtight, and our hot hot engine bays make it so that that this (and any other aftermarket) intake is still bringing in that warm air. True cold-air has to be custom built for our cars.

I got a check engine light with it, and yes, it was easy to reset. I reset mine probably half a dozen times in the process of trying to get this intake to work for me, but I'm the only one who's had that problem. I'm glad for the OP it's been fine! I got the Injen after my AEM wouldn't work for me, and have been happy with Injen. I still like this AEM though, and believe that it's the best aftermarket option. But I'll repeat myself and say, don't expect anything amazing from it. It's still a short-ram intake, and is not going to greatly improve performance. The performance gain is minimal. I think that in the future when I tune my car, the increased air flow may be of more use, but for now it's a small gain. Sure does sound badass though. Lol
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM

LOL... WTF Serpent????

It's a nice intake, but even the stock intake for our car is good.
As for the heat shield, it doesn't do a lot. Maybe even nothing
I still like this AEM though, and believe that it's the best aftermarket option
I'll repeat myself and say, don't expect anything amazing from it
not going to greatly improve performance. The performance gain is minimal

We get it... your not for or against... lol

I still plan on getting it. So far you are the only one I have seen with the CEL error on this brand of intake.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Lol, did my post not make sense? I definitely said i think that aftermarket intakes are an improvement over stock, and that I think the AEM intake is the best option. So go for it man! You're right, one or two people have tried the AEM since I tried it and they didn't have problems with a CEL like I did. I think you'll be happy with this intake if you buy it!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent
Lol, did my post not make sense? I definitely said i think that aftermarket intakes are an improvement over stock, and that I think the AEM intake is the best option. So go for it man! You're right, one or two people have tried the AEM since I tried it and they didn't have problems with a CEL like I did. I think you'll be happy with this intake if you buy it!
It certainly seems like a nice option. I'm weary about Ghozt's point though, that it doesn't really matter that there is a funnel at the grille. I'm also concerned about eventual heat soaking. That said, I'm in the air between this, an R2C, and the Injen.

What about gains in MPGs? This I haven't looked too far into but this is what I'd be most interested in other than HP/Torque gains.

Were you able to rectify the CEL issues, Serpent?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Not able to fix the CEL. Couldn't see anything visibly defective with the kit I got from AEM, but, after double and triple checking my installation and calling AEM multiple times, they eventually just apologized and offered full refund. That's when I bought the Injen, and I've been plenty satisfied with it. Injen, AEM, R2C, etc., there's really not a right or wrong answer for which one to get, even though we all wish there was a clear winner. Seems like pretty much everyone is happy enough with the intake they bought, whichever one it may be.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM

And it'll work just the same for the '13's.
Which is what I was thinking since there does not appear to be any major discernable difference with the engines from '12 to '13.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM

Guys don't worry about the CEL. If you install it correctly you will not have any problems. The AEM rep gaurunteed me it wouldn't throw a code. I believe it has a lifetime warranty on it.

There are two spots in the installation where you have a chance to screw things up. 1. Is when removing and reinstalling the MAF. 2. When you have to cut the clip that bunches the wires. What a did was take a flat screwdriver and wedge it between clip and wires, then cut the clip against the flat side of the screwdriver.

I'd call and ask about whether or not it will work on the 2013.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFrost2011
Guys don't worry about the CEL. If you install it correctly you will not have any problems. The AEM rep gaurunteed me it wouldn't throw a code. I believe it has a lifetime warranty on it.
Mostly true. It does have a lifetime warranty, but there's a possibility it will throw a CEL. Even installed correctly. Hopefully it won't happen, but it sure did for me, and it was installed correctly. I worked as a technician for several years working on similar things. I'm not perfect, but after double and triple checking my work, I'm confident it was installed properly. And it wasn't anything to do with my car because after going back to stock for a short time and now using the Injen intake, I haven't had any further problems.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 AM

Mostly true. It does have a lifetime warranty, but there's a possibility it will throw a CEL. Even installed correctly. Hopefully it won't happen, but it sure did for me, and it was installed correctly. I worked as a technician for several years working on similar things. I'm not perfect, but after double and triple checking my work, I'm confident it was installed properly. And it wasn't anything to do with my car because after going back to stock for a short time and now using the Injen intake, I haven't had any further problems.
They all have the possibility of throwing the CEL.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 AM

What is the code it throws? Or the one it would most likely set? Is it a "system too lean" or "system too rich"?

Y'all all need some kind of OBD-II data logger. I have the Elmscan (elm327) v1.4 or v1.5 bluetooth OBD-II dongle and the Torque program on my droid phone. This setup is compatible with all droid devices and is PHENOMENAL!! A brand name Elmscan is like $100 but mine is a generic one which was $40 on ebay. It reads/resets fault codes and reads all generic OBD-II sensor data in realtime. Rpm, speed, coolant and intake temp, MAF, fuel trims, A/F ratio and sensor voltage, exhaust gas temps from both cats, throttle and accelerator pedal position, engine load, timing advance. Its such an awesome setup! It also does very accurate mpg and fuel flow rate as well as hp/torque/0-60/ 1/4th mi calculation.

I would seriously invest the $40 or $50 and get this.

Late,
Trav
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 AM

I'd love to get something like that! Running iphone though...suggestions for that?

It was a problem with the MAF sensor.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what kind of HP gains are you seeing and do they make this for the 2010 maxima?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM

R u guys seeing mpg gains or lose with intake?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM

The intake looks great!!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Dan,
Did you or GM ever determine if the R2C box could be modified to completely closed it off and seal it from the engine heat?
Without owning one I can't determine if there is enough space where the opening is to splice into the R2C box and seal it off.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by chiefy
R u guys seeing mpg gains or lose with intake?
Can't say for the AEM, but I'd venture the guess that the numbers would be similar to what's happened since installing my Injen.

Since installing, my mpg has decreased. There are other factors, such as the weather and the throttle body/intake manifold spacers that I installed. But overall it's decreased probably 1-2 mpg. I could do the math since I've logged each tank of gas for the last 6 or 7 months, but my best guess atm is 1-2 mpg decrease.

The other thing to think about is that after modding our cars, they will really benefit from having the system tuned. I'm hoping that after adjusting my air/fuel ratio (by way of an uprev tune in the future) that my mpg may pick back up. But then again--and this may be partially to blame for the current mpg drop I've experienced--it's hard to keep your foot off the pedal after adding a new mod.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Glad you did it. I hope the CEL stays off for you since it wouldn't for me. Like I said, very high quality product, right?

It definitely takes the air inlet to the next level! I was able to keep all of those parts and still get my refund, so I've got them still installed on my car. I actually have the big black metal enclosure still as well, and I want to set it up around the Injen intake I bought (which was my second choice behind this one).

Good for you man, glad to hear its been going so well so far! I hope this encourages more people to try AEM's intake! (That's what we all need, right? More intakes to argue about which one is best? Lol)
I just installed the AEM intake, how long did it take for the CEL to come on?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by dtp808

I just installed the AEM intake, how long did it take for the CEL to come on?
Less than a day
Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks damn good. I had AEM before in my Acura and loved it.

Anybody confirmed if this will work with the 2010. AEM website only shows application for 2011-2012. From what I gather, 2010 has the same engine as the other years. Maybe a change in air flow? Don't know.

Had asked AEM and got this response (yes it does actually say thanks for contacting K&N, who I found out that they bought AEM):
Hello ...,

Thank you for contacting K&N and inquiring about our products. No the 21-712C will not fit. The R&D dept. doesn’t tell us why thing do and no not fit however rather a yes it will work or no it will not. The only thing we can recommend is the replacement flat filter. http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=AEM-28-20031 If you were interested in a intake I would suggest K&N as I know they do make one. Please let me know if you have any other questions?

Product Specialist
AEM Intakes
800-992-3000

Has anyone tried it in a 2010? Or can help clarify if it would work before I spend the money?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 PM

Great write up and the pics look great, I remember installing a full cold air intake on my BMW M3 and I remember it gave it an extra pull, but I was having issues with over heating.

I live in Dubai, and temps in summer reach 55C (thats about 130F) plus 80% humidity, so the car would be literally choking in traffic and installing such an intake is probably not the best idea in Dubai

Let us know if you're having any heat issues or if you got the exact information about heat insulation.