7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

HELP - is the dealer trying to hustle me?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM

HELP - is the dealer trying to hustle me?!

i had bought my car in for service, an 09' sport maxima
at first the tire pressure light comes on. after driving, usually when Im accelerating the brake light will come on and stay. once that is turned on, other lights like traction control and VDC light are on.

the dealer says brake fluid is low and needs Flush?! why dont they just top it up?

they also did a load test and says i need a new battery which is causing the other lights to turn on.
I dont ever recall of having a battery issue. My car starts up fine in -15 weather. I will have to get my battery tested else where to confirm it is even faulty.

can these two problems, low brake fluid and bad battery cause my problem?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM

low brake fluid will throw those lights on... Also I'm pretty sure if your pads are really low they will also come on...

As far as the battery not sure but I know that some cases with a battery that is going it will cause things to light up on the dash
Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM

thank you for the reply.
I have been searching around with owners who dealt with similar problems.
could I just top it off myself? i have 94,xxx km on my maxima, the service person said I could use a cvt flush.
i will have to check my battery.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM

I think the reason they want to do a flush is because over time, moisture can get in the brake lines. Good to do every few years before things get corroded and you have to replace the brake lines.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM

im only 22 years old living on my own, so I have to be budget friendly when it comes to my car. Even though I had purchased aftermarket warranty. they will only cover things that are not under wear and tear.

Reason I am asking all of this is because I know I can do most of myself. I can get a battery 1/3 of the cost any anyplace other than a dealership. it is quite sad but true.

I hope I can get away with just topping the oil.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM

just top it off yourself, 3 bux at kragen auto.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
just top it off yourself, 3 bux at kragen auto.
im going to do that.

Thank you
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As previously said, the reason for "flushing" the brake system is to flush out and moisture our air that has gotten into the lines. I dont know if an air pocket in one of the lines would cause a light, but flushing the system is not a bad idea regardless.

The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to get a set of speed bleeders. They are bleeding screws with a ball valve in them. Once you take out the old one and install the new one, you simply loosen it 1/4 to 1/2 turn, and slowly pump the brakes to flush the fluid through (keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir).

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

On their application list, they only list up to a '97 maxima, however it was the same part number for my '03. I dont know if they are still applicable for the 7th gen, but you can contact them to find out.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After 21k miles on my bro's 2010 Maxima, they want to charge $3xx to change the pads all the way around. I am going to change the brakes myself. However, do I need to resurface the rotors this soon?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM

ok just got the car back. paid only 80 bucks for diagnosis fee. they topped my fluid up and filled my tires with air. all the lights are gone!

they said my battery shows a low voltage and should be replaced. I still have to verify that through a battery shop. I am not to sure if they are telling the truth or they saw my lighting issue's as an opportunity?
anyways everything is good but.

I notice when I am accelerating hard(hard) I see the brake light turn on and soon as i release my foot off the pedal and the car stops accelerating, it disappears. Do you think I need to top it up a little more? or would this be normal?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM

I think this is a common issue that I have seen on these forums. Basically of you have low brake fluid, the fluid moves around and when there is no fluid near the sensor, it thinks there is no fluid making your brake light turn on. Now you said they topped it off for you so it shouldn't happen. Maybe just take a look for yourself again
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's really strange about the light coming on and going off as you brake. Could just be a faulty sensor or some other electrical problem. To save money, especially on the battery, just take your car to AutoZone or somewhere else where they can give you a free diagnostic and give you codes to look up problems. You may end up needing repairs, but start there either way.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM

brake fluid shouldnt be going anywhere. brakes are a closed system, the level will only go down as your pads wear down (normal) or if you have a fluid leak (doubt a 2009 will have a leak but who knows). it shouldnt be topped off because when you replace the pads and push the piston in, the level goes back up and since it was topped off brake fluid will fly out of the reservoir (unless you crack the bleeder when you push the piston in, i never do that though)

the light might be coming on from a sensor acting up, but otherwise its odd
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yah if the brake fluid is low for any other reason than Pad wear, then you have a leak and need the leak repaired not a flush. The reason you flush your fluid is that brake fluid absorbs water out of the air over time and that reduces the boiling point of the fluid. If you brake fluid were to boil, it would create gas bubbles and your brakes wouldn't work because the air bubbles would compress instead of transferring the pressure to the brakes.
Batteries don't always show signs of being on the way out until you can't start your car one day. But a load test is done on the Alternator, not the battery. You replace the battery when it doesn't hold a charge anymore. You replace the alternator when it doesn't put out enough voltage to charge the battery/run all your accessories anymore.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM

If the brake fluid gets really low, air can get into the brake line requiring a flush... This is the truth! However, this usually takes a long time... Now if ur pads are worn wayyyy down ur fluid will be low also in ur master cylinder.. which would alow air into ur brake lines... You can easily test your battery power and alternator output
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Also brake fluid is hydroscopic... Meaning u shouldn't have the master cylinder exposed to air very much.. Or any portion of the brake line...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Actually - the brake indicator light WILL come on under hard acceleration if the fluid level in the master cylinder is low, which is possible through brake pad wear.

A couple dribbles of DOT3 made my brake and VDC lights go away.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM

Please go back to the dealer and ask them to check the master cylinder . My 09 had a really slow leak to where the fluid would slosh around on hard acell or braking and wiukd turn on the mentioned lights . This was due to the leaking master cylinder the fluid looked at a good level but just topping it off would not solve this problem . It was taken care of for free for me due to a service Bullitin . Ask you service manager about this brake fluid should not disappear. Good luck
A