7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

CAI and Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 PM

CAI and Mirrors

Hey fellas,

I have noticed that some times when I put the cars in reverse, the mirrors tilt down, but then when i put it in drive, they dont come all the way up, i doesnt do it every time but i have noticed it on more than one occasion. Anyone notice this or know what could be causing it?

ALSO, I am not very enlighted on this subject, but at first I was considering replacing my air filter with a K&N air filter and from what I have read on the other threads, it makes a difference. Now I am looking into a K&N cold air intake, so if I install the intake, would it make a difference whether or not I replace my air filter?

I have read some other threads that I could find about intakes and I am thinking about going with K&N, any one have any thoughts/advice/suggestions to that? Is there another one that's better?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM

The mirrors should tilt down for reverse, then go back up in drive. If it doesn't go up to the original position, something's wrong. Make sure that the switch that you move left or right to pick which mirror you're adjusting isn't in the middle--it needs to be to one side or the other.

When you get a CAI, it completely replaced the factory airbox. So the current air filter and the part that houses it is totally removed and replaced with the different intake.

There are way too many opinions out there about which brand to get. I bought mine recently, and went with the brand Injen. I am 100% satisfied with my decision. Great price (just over $200) on eBay. Sounds good, performs well. I'd recommend it. K&N is good, but has the downside of having to oil the filter. At the very least get a brand that doesn't require oiling the filter.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM

there's no such thing as an aftermarket CAI for the 09 + maximas ..The OEM Intake is a CAI.. the aftermarket short ram intakes are for sound and next to no performance increase... People can deceive themselves if they want.. do ur own research... Your best to stay with the K &M Filter u own... Theres nothing wrong with oiling, not sure why people bring this up as an area of concern
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 PM

He's right, it's not a true CAI. To get that, you have to build it custom. But the aftermarket parts available for purchase are still worth it IMO, but that's personal preference. The sound is sweet, and even though its debatable how much of a performance gain you get, I feel that it's there. For some reason there are people who like to talk about how useless a short-ram intake is, but you don't really see people who have actually bought one have anything but positive things to say about it.

And oiled filters can be fine. Just know that after you clean it, you have to let it dry completely, then oil it, then let it sit for 2-3 days (which k&n suggests) so that the oil is soaked in and dried. If you don't follow those instructions, you might be fine, but you might dirty up the mass air flow sensor by coating it in oil.

...or you can not worry about having an oiled filter and just buy a dry one in the first place.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 PM

So according to amazon this is compatible with my car and this is what I am considering (may also look into Injen):
Amazon Amazon

I got confused by what you guys were saying. Also, I would have to oil the K&N filter? How often would that have to be done?

As for the mirror, the switch is not in the middle and it is on the left side, if it was in the middle I dont think the mirrors would tilt down in the first place when i reverse. If it happens again, I will take it to the dealership
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 AM

Ya, if your mirror keeps acting up then take it in. It should return to the normal position after it tilts.

There is a difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake. All of the aftermarket ones for our Maximas are short ram, even though many websites call it a cold air intake its not.

Cold air intakes are superior and have better performance because they actually bring in cold air to the engine, while short rams typically don't. In our application, there's just not room to fit a cold air intake without a good amount of modification. So, any intake that you see for sale is just the short ram style.

The factory system actually works pretty well. And if you're buying a new intake for the extra torque and hp, don't expect a lot. The sound is definitely noticeable, and a lot of people say that's really all a short ram is good for. Personally I disagree, but I also can accept that the improvement in power isn't gonna be much.

Yes, K&N requires that you remove, clean, and then re-oil the filter every XX,000 miles. It really isn't a terrible thing to buy a filter that has to be oiled. I just wouldn't personally. No big deal either way.

I personally spent a lot of time trying to make this decision. I bought one from the brand AEM which didn't work. Returned it, then bought the Injen. Completely happy. Take it or leave it, that's my recommendation. The K&N woulda been probably 5th or 6th on my list because its a little overpriced, and I prefer a dry filter.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM

Thanks a lot for your input Serpent. I really didnt know even though they call it a "cold air" it really is a short ram. Do you feel ANY (even the slightest bit) difference in performance with your intake? How about MPG? And do you have a link to the intake you have?

I noticed you said the K&N would be 5th or 6th on your list, what would be say top 3 but in the same price range?

Thank You
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM

Yes, I feel a difference. However, if you're really looking to get a performance boost, there are better ways. And not necessarily expensive, either. The difference I felt from adding intake manifold and throttle body spacers was greater than the difference from the intake. For performance, that really should be everyone's step 1.

My top intake choices: 1. AEM (Best design IMO, but set off my check engine light so I returned it. May or may not do the same for you.) 2. Injen (Which I bought and am happy with.) 3. R2C (Probably the most popular here on the forums.) 4. Takeda? (I think that's what it was. Been a bit since I was looking, didn't put a whole lot of thought into this since I knew I wanted another kind first.) 5. K&N. 6. Stillen (This would be my last choice.)

Hope that helps. May have forgotten one or two, I'm just on my cell phone and can't look them up. Maybe later I can post a link for you, but there really aren't a whole lot of choices. Just find the part number for each brand and ebay it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Where did you hear this? The oil doesn't ever really appear to dry it seems. I had my filter in 3 months and when i take it out you can still feel oil up in there... The oil instructions state you have to let it sit for 20 minutes. The important part it seems to me is the cleaning. It states you have to clean with water, then cleaning solution then let air dry and this seems to take a day or so... Then the oil part..

Originally Posted by Serpent
He's right, it's not a true CAI. To get that, you have to build it custom. But the aftermarket parts available for purchase are still worth it IMO, but that's personal preference. The sound is sweet, and even though its debatable how much of a performance gain you get, I feel that it's there. For some reason there are people who like to talk about how useless a short-ram intake is, but you don't really see people who have actually bought one have anything but positive things to say about it.

And oiled filters can be fine. Just know that after you clean it, you have to let it dry completely, then oil it, then let it sit for 2-3 days (which k&n suggests) so that the oil is soaked in and dried. If you don't follow those instructions, you might be fine, but you might dirty up the mass air flow sensor by coating it in oil.

...or you can not worry about having an oiled filter and just buy a dry one in the first place.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM

You're right jarohnimo, my bad, the K&N website does only say 20 minutes. It must have been another brand that said to let it sit that long before re-installing. Like I said--I was reading about several brands at the time.

Yes, it definitely takes a long time after cleaning to let the filter air dry. That's the same for both oiled and dry filters though.

Again, it seems that no one really has any complaints after installing a new intake, no matter what brand they choose. There's not anything terrible about K&N or any other brand, lots of people are happy with it I'm sure. I just feel, and I think most people do, that a dry filter is preferable to an oiled one. Even though they both do the same thing and a properly maintained oiled filter will usually not give the owner any problems. All about preference. (Let me venture a guess that you do in fact have a K&N in your car Jarohnimo? It's all good. We all want to be validate our purchases and feel like we picked the best thing we could. Maybe I'm doing the same thing with the Injen. Lol)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 PM

So this might be one of the stupider questions on this forum but idk why I am still confused. So if I decide to get the K&N intake, should I also order their filter, or does the intake apparatus get rid of needing a drop-in filter? sorry for all the questions

And serpent, I looked at instructions for installing the intake manifold and throttle body spacers, yeah I don't think its in my best interest to do it myself lol
Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Installing the spacers was easier than I thought it would be, but still intimidating. The instructions are perfect though, it just takes a little courage to start opening up the car like that. After that it's a piece of cake. Just follow the instructions and enjoy the bonding time you get with your car.

When you buy a new intake, it completely replaces the whole box that the current drop-in filter is inside of. No need to buy a new filter separately, it will come with the intake you choose. Google pictures of any aftermarket intake on a 7th gen maxima and you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks, that makes more sense! Haha yeah I am just scared to open it up especially since I haven't done anything except changed my interior lights and painted my grill thus far.

Yeah I notice that the intakes have a round/cone looking filter, I am assuming that is what takes place of the drop in filter
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 AM

Yes i have a K & M Air filter