7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stepping Away for a Bit

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Stepping Away for a Bit

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I posted anything due to being crazy busy at work. I do pop in now and then to see the latest hot topic though. Anyway, I picked up a G37xS over the weekend so I am no longer in the Maxima family. My lease was just about up so I decided to hop into an 18-month lease on the Infiniti. I feel like a bit of a traitor since this is the first non-Maxima I have had since 1998. The G is an entirely different animal from the Maxima and I love things about it but miss other things about the Maxima.

I went with the Infiniti because I did not want to lease the same car all over again since there is not enough of a difference in the 2010 and 2012 Maximas for me. Nissan tried hard to get me back in a Maxima with their pull ahead program which waives up to 3 lease payments and $500 in excess wear and tear. Speaking of the pull ahead program, if you would like to take advantage of it but want an Infiniti, you can use it to lease an Infiniti. The dealers don't talk about this and many do not know it is even possible to do so. The Infiniti dealer I went to was confident that NMAC would not go for it and we worked the deal based on this premise. I proved otherwise today though.

I called NMAC today to complain about the fact that the pull ahead program could not be used to go from a Nissan to an Infiniti. The person in customer service I spoke to said he though it could be and confirmed it with his supervisor. I promptly called the dealership back and they called NMAC to confirm. After 30 minutes, I received a call from the Sales Manager letting me know he would work with his area manager to let me take advantage of the program. So, I have a nice chunk of change coming back my way.

So, for anyone in a similar situation as mine, don't hesitate to push to get this type of deal if you have a leased Maxima and want to take advantage of the great deals Infiniti has going right now. As for me, I'll be back when the Maxima is redesigned. I'll still be lurking though.

For those who say this thread is worthless without pics, enjoy:

Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM

traitor!!!

lol jk man whip looks great. i understand wanting to upgrade and make a change; change is good every now and then

you should consider lowering it. G37's lowered look awesome
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Very nice step up
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Looks good man. You mean to tell me there was someone else "somewhat" close to me with a Max?! haha.....did you have any mods done to it?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM

If you dont mind me asking what are your payments and how much was due at signing?
Im also looking at a g37x for the 18 month lease offer and trying to get some numbers
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
traitor!!!

lol jk man whip looks great. i understand wanting to upgrade and make a change; change is good every now and then

you should consider lowering it. G37's lowered look awesome
Since I'll only have it for 18 months, I'm keeping it stock except for tinted windows. You are right though, the G37's really shine when lowered.

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
Very nice step up
Thanks. You have a serious shine on your car in that signature pic.

Originally Posted by WrightOne86
Looks good man. You mean to tell me there was someone else "somewhat" close to me with a Max?! haha.....did you have any mods done to it?
I didn't have any mods on it. I kinda got away from too much modding after family and a mortgage came in the picture. I was just happy to have a Maxima.

Originally Posted by 04avalon
If you dont mind me asking what are your payments and how much was due at signing?
Im also looking at a g37x for the 18 month lease offer and trying to get some numbers
Your mileage may vary depending on the laws in your state about rolling the taxes into your lease but I only had to put $675 down. That is first month's payment plus tax, tags, etc. Depending on what packages you get and your haggling skills, a payment in the high $400 range is doable. I have the Sport, Navigation, and Premium packages which ended up putting me at $550. Check here for some comparisons. http://www.myg37.com/forums/buying-and-leasing-147/
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the information. When you get a chance do you mind doing a small review and comparison between the 2 cars? These are the only 2 cars im currently looking at to replace my current toyota and I would love to get a consumers review of the 2 other than just a magazines opinion
Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 04avalon
Thanks for the information. When you get a chance do you mind doing a small review and comparison between the 2 cars? These are the only 2 cars im currently looking at to replace my current toyota and I would love to get a consumers review of the 2 other than just a magazines opinion
Not a problem. I'll start with some basics about the two cars. The Maxima I had was a SV equipped with the Sport and Technology packages plus the cold weather package. So, it had all of the bells and whistles you could get on a sport oriented Maxima when I got it. Like I said above, the G37x has the Premium, Sport, and Technology packages. The only items it doesn't have equipped that are available are rain sensing wipers and the cruise control system that allows the car to maintain a specified following distance. So, from a purely technology standpoint, the G37 edges out my old Maxima by a very slim margin because it has the sensors on the rear bumper that alert you if there are objects in your path.

On to fit and finish. As you would expect the G37 seems to be built a little more solidly than the Maxima. Not that the Maxima is put together poorly at all. The G just seems more solid especially when hitting bumps in the road. Also, road noise is lessened.

The G37x is obviously a smaller car both inside and out compared to the Maxima. Since you are coming from an Avalon, this may be a big factor for you because you will feel the difference. The G37x is not cramped but it is smaller.

The last area I'll hit on is performance. It is unfair to compare the two car's performance to some degree. The CVT in the Maxima and the fact that it is front wheel drive give it much different performance characteristics than the all wheel drive, 7-speed G37x. The G can out accelerate and out handle the Maxima any day of the week. This is due to the fact that the G37x has more power and a very good front to rear weight distribution. AWD also helps with the handling of the G37x. The Maxima is designed to be a somewhat sporty sedan. The G37x is intended to be a true sports sedan and it shows.

So how do you choose between these two cars? It all comes down to your priorities. If you want the space of the Maxima and don't need to have the fastest 4-door car, go for the Maxima. It is reliable and the CVT is not a real drawback. If you just have to have the performance of the G37x and do not care about the added cost or smaller size, go for the G37x.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM

nice car and very cool info about the pull ahead program
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM

boone - I think your comparison between the sport versions of the G37 and Maxima is very fair and balanced, and the differences are what I would probably have guessed they would be.

I appreciate everything you have given us here over the last few years, and expect to see you back here with a 2015 Maxima in a few years. Good luck with your spiffy G37!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM

When my lease is up, I probably won't get another Max either. I like change, especially when it comes to cars. I learned my lesson the hard way when I went from a Charger to a Challenger.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
boone - I think your comparison between the sport versions of the G37 and Maxima is very fair and balanced, and the differences are what I would probably have guessed they would be.

I appreciate everything you have given us here over the last few years, and expect to see you back here with a 2015 Maxima in a few years. Good luck with your spiffy G37!
Thanks Light. Having driven Maximas for a while now, I had to be fair. I wouldn't bash an ex-girlfriend just because I decided to move to a new town and found someone else. That is the best way I can think of to describe my decision to get the G37. None of my Maximas ever let me down and were always great cars. I was particularly fond of my 7th gen.

Barring Nissan totally screwing up the 8th gen, (using my best Terminator imitation) I'll be back.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks Boone for the lease figures.

The teaser rates in the ads make you think you can drive away in a loaded Max for $219 per month (Infinity, similar). In reality, after taxes, rebates, blah blah are calculated, I agreed to a figure of $450/mo whereas LeaseCompare ran the numbers at over $550/mo.

So you look at the final price and think that there is no way a $42k car can be had for $219 per month. Infinity would be obviously higher.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM

stillen intakes!!!!! trust me my boy has them their insane
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 AM

I did the opposite move.....i just traded my lease on a 2010 G37x for the 2012 Maxima Sport Pkg. I must say, the G is a great car, but i honestly don't miss a thing. Maxima is an awsome machine, and has all the bells and whistles as the G, along with the same fit and finnish.