7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Any info on 8th gen yet??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
your sources at corporate? NNA corporate is in franklin, TN not in Dallas, TX
Key word "worked"...........Worked there for 10 yrs in S.cal before they moved to TN. Yes i now live in Dallas with my "current" job!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
your sources at corporate? NNA corporate is in franklin, TN not in Dallas, TX
He must have a connect at Nissan Finance which is in Dallas.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 7speed
He must have a connect at Nissan Finance which is in Dallas.
My statement is pretty straight forward, there were some key words that he missed....... which is re explained in the message above your message.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:34 AM

I can easily see where Monte is coming from.

My son was Director of Computer Security at Equifax for many years, then left because he saw an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a newly forming company where he would have much more flexibility and input.

He has done well and enjoyed his new job, BUT he remains social friends with many folks from his Equifax days. Some are still with Equifax, while others have moved to different companies. He sometimes gets together with them, and often talks with them by phone. As a result, he knows a lot about what is currently going on with Equifax, as well as several other companies.

It would seem natural that Monte still has connections with friends he knew when he worked at Nissan. That would be true even if he currently lived in Ulan Bator, Mongolia.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:54 PM

the US to get an all-new version of its Maxima in 2014/2015. The current seventh-generation Maxima sold in North America is based on the same platform as the Teana, but is styled and engineered differently to suit the market.

The eighth-generation US Maxima will share its platform with the new Altima and will have similar proportions, but Nakamura says its performance “has to be much better” than the Altima.

He said the design of the car was still to be finalised, and suggested it could have a wider track for a sportier stance.
Nissan chief creative officer Shiro Nakamura

May 1,2012. http://www.caradvice.com.au/170655/n...ma-takes-over/

2012. Altima 3.5SL 0-60 in 5.7sec & 14.2 in the quarter mile.(May 24,2012.)
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM

the new altima is nowhere where near the characteristics of the a35 maxima. The new altima is nicer than the past altimas but it doesn't have the wow factor.

the a35 has presence, girth. Personally speaking, I think th car out flanks the lexus LS, ES, and the new GS in terms of powerful design.

among asian cars, the only car that is more captivating is the infniti M.

If you see the a35 on the street with a proper drop and proper wheels, it's a very powerful appearance.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
the new altima is nowhere where near the characteristics of the a35 maxima. The new altima is nicer than the past altimas but it doesn't have the wow factor.

the a35 has presence, girth. Personally speaking, I think th car out flanks the lexus LS, ES, and the new GS in terms of powerful design.

among asian cars, the only car that is more captivating is the infniti M.

If you see the a35 on the street with a proper drop and proper wheels, it's a very powerful appearance.

You see this as I do, but I am admiiedly very partial to the Maxima.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by maxger
Nissan chief creative officer Shiro Nakamura

May 1,2012. http://www.caradvice.com.au/170655/n...ma-takes-over/

2012. Altima 3.5SL 0-60 in 5.7sec & 14.2 in the quarter mile.(May 24,2012.)

Excellent catch, maxger. This confirms what I suspected and what MONTE 01&97 SE has been telling us for months. In fact, I think Monte first told us the 8th gen would arrive as the 2015 Maxima almost a year ago.

Nakamura's remark that the 8th gen Maxima 'has to be much better' than the Altima would lead us to believe the 8th gen Maxima chassi might differ from the Altima in the same way the 7th gen did, which was by replacing key Maxima suspension components with those from the Infiniti M45. A wider stance would be even more sporty.

Mr. Nakamura is telling the truth when he says the styling for the 8th gen Maxima has not been finalized. But we can be sure work on this 8th gen styling has been underway for at least a year or two, and will be virtually finalized by this time next year, because the engineering of the entire car is somewhat tied to the styling, and the first 2015 8th gen Maximas will probably be slowly rolling off the assembly line in January of 2014, in time for a grand rollout at a January Auto Show.

Intensive testing will then be done for another month or more, at which time the assembly line will crank up to full speed in order to have several thousand on hand for the dealer rollout, which I strongly suspect will be either April or May of 2014. The release of the first model year of the last three Maxima generations has been between March and June.

I narrowed the window to April and May because March is often a lousy weather month across the northern half of the country, and June has been an abnormally blisteringly hot month for the last few years. Not good car-selling weather.

Beginning in summer and fall of 2013, we should begin to hear tidbits about power train and styling of the 8th gen, and by late 2013, we should begin to see the first photos, or at least partial photos or drawings. That will be an exciting time.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Nice info, thanks guys. Right about when my lease expires, I may be able to slide right into an 8th gen.

We shall see about the power. As I thought in another thread, the Max HAS to be quicker than the Altima to at least have some sort of obvious justification for the price difference, but at the same time not run circles around the Infinity line-up.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM

the thing is though Nissan isnt going to put AWD and they arent going to go to RWD either in the Maxima if they decide to put more power into the Maxima they kind of have no choice so I doubt it's going to be that much more powerful which honestly doesn't matter to me.

The tech stuff is what will sell with me so they need to add items to what's in the new Altima also...
Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i just watched one of my back episodes of Top Gear with the Focus RS500. If they can get 340 HP through the front wheels, we should be able to have no issue. I dont know if Nissan is holding back or cant figure out the trick differentials or e-diffs or what, but it can be done.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
i just watched one of my back episodes of Top Gear with the Focus RS500. If they can get 340 HP through the front wheels, we should be able to have no issue. I dont know if Nissan is holding back or cant figure out the trick differentials or e-diffs or what, but it can be done.

yeah I know it can be done but that is going to be a lot of work that they (Nissan) would have to do changing things also I wouldnt want to be the test for something like that also with the CVT could it handle it.

I mean I dont plan on getting rid of mine for at least 6 years... so we shall see
Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
That car was designed to be able to race on the track. The Maxima is a daily driver to 99% of the owners. A lot of us don't need/want that much HP out of a daily driver. Manufactures make cars to cater to the needs of the masses. They don't care about that 1%.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
That car was designed to be able to race on the track. The Maxima is a daily driver to 99% of the owners. A lot of us don't need/want that much HP out of a daily driver. Manufactures make cars to cater to the needs of the masses. They don't care about that 1%.
More along my point I agree 100% I mean honestly how many people out there really use all the power that we have. I mean I rarely do... so more HP doesnt matter to me. You can only drive so fast so no real point to add even more its got more than enough at 290
Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Expect a Lighter maxima with the VQ35 as the base engine and then a hybrid set up and possibly a deisel option.

The next gen VQ should have DI, and they would keep it 3.5 displacement so that then car go the route of a hybrid set up like the m35h. VVEL of the VQ37 wasnt working nicley with the hybrid set up that they use on the Ms so thats why they went with the VQ35 last i heard.

Dont expect bigger engines people, expect lighter veichles with electric assit hybrid set ups.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 PM

maybe a turbo diesel ?

hopefully nissan decides to keep the current "fender flare" theme.

Personally, I'd pull the grill section and drop it all the way down so that it's not flush to the bumpers. I'd bring out the grill section just like the audi's or mitsubishi's.

then I'd "bevel" out the side buldge flares like u see in the audi a4 coupe. The a4 has very subtle flares that's "beveled" out and looks nice.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
maybe a turbo diesel ?

hopefully nissan decides to keep the current "fender flare" theme.

Personally, I'd pull the grill section and drop it all the way down so that it's not flush to the bumpers. I'd bring out the grill section just like the audi's or mitsubishi's.

then I'd "bevel" out the side buldge flares like u see in the audi a4 coupe. The a4 has very subtle flares that's "beveled" out and looks nice.
dude......hit up photoshop !!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Excellent catch, maxger. This confirms what I suspected and what MONTE 01&97 SE has been telling us for months. In fact, I think Monte first told us the 8th gen would arrive as the 2015 Maxima almost a year ago.

Nakamura's remark that the 8th gen Maxima 'has to be much better' than the Altima would lead us to believe the 8th gen Maxima chassi might differ from the Altima in the same way the 7th gen did, which was by replacing key Maxima suspension components with those from the Infiniti M45. A wider stance would be even more sporty.

Mr. Nakamura is telling the truth when he says the styling for the 8th gen Maxima has not been finalized. But we can be sure work on this 8th gen styling has been underway for at least a year or two, and will be virtually finalized by this time next year, because the engineering of the entire car is somewhat tied to the styling, and the first 2015 8th gen Maximas will probably be slowly rolling off the assembly line in January of 2014, in time for a grand rollout at a January Auto Show.

Intensive testing will then be done for another month or more, at which time the assembly line will crank up to full speed in order to have several thousand on hand for the dealer rollout, which I strongly suspect will be either April or May of 2014. The release of the first model year of the last three Maxima generations has been between March and June.

I narrowed the window to April and May because March is often a lousy weather month across the northern half of the country, and June has been an abnormally blisteringly hot month for the last few years. Not good car-selling weather.

Beginning in summer and fall of 2013, we should begin to hear tidbits about power train and styling of the 8th gen, and by late 2013, we should begin to see the first photos, or at least partial photos or drawings. That will be an exciting time.
Very true Light, and actually its the last 4 gens that has had the Spring/Early Summer releases. The 4th gen was introduced in June of 94 after a great 6 yr run of the beloved 3rd gen. It will be interesting to see if they can actually pull of a "noticeable" gain in performance from the 3.5 Alti, really interesting. Since the the Max has had the 3.5 and its been available on the Alti since the same year in 02 the performance of the two the past 10 yrs has been near identical........Here is another report of the 3.5 SL Alti, quite decent numbers from R/T which tend to be on the slow side most of the time. That revised CVT seems to be much improved! http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...-altima-3.5-sl

Engine 3.5-liter 24V V-6
Transmission CVT
Horsepower 270 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque 258 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm
0-60 mph 5.7 sec
0-100 mph 14.1 sec.
0-1320 ft. 14.2 @ 100.6 mph
Braking 60-0 mph 130 ft.
80-0 mph 245 ft.
Our mileage 23.0 mpg
EPA city/hwy 22/30 mpg
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Very true Light, and actually its the last 4 gens that has had the Spring/Early Summer releases. The 4th gen was introduced in June of 94 after a great 6 yr run of the beloved 3rd gen. It will be interesting to see if they can actually pull of a "noticeable" gain in performance from the 3.5 Alti, really interesting. Since the the Max has had the 3.5 and its been available on the Alti since the same year in 02 the performance of the two the past 10 yrs has been near identical........Here is another report of the 3.5 SL Alti, quite decent numbers from R/T which tend to be on the slow side most of the time. That revised CVT seems to be much improved! http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...-altima-3.5-sl

Engine 3.5-liter 24V V-6
Transmission CVT
Horsepower 270 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque 258 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm
0-60 mph 5.7 sec
0-100 mph 14.1 sec.
0-1320 ft. 14.2 @ 100.6 mph
Braking 60-0 mph 130 ft.
80-0 mph 245 ft.
Our mileage 23.0 mpg
EPA city/hwy 22/30 mpg

THanks for the link, MONTE.

Those are some impressive stats for a high-volume middle-of-the-road mid-price family sedan. I think this new Altima could very well keep Consumer Reports top ranking for that category, which they have held most of the last six years.

Although the Maxima has been only marginally better than the Altima in performance the last ten years (which is not bad, considering the Maxima is a heavier and more luxurious car than the Altima), the Maxima has been clearly better style-wise in my mind. And that styling edge should continue, because the new Altima, although a good 'looker', shows almost nothing in the way of styling breakthroughs.

If the 8th gen Maxima can meet or edge these impressive Road & Track stats for the new lighter Altima by even a shade, and have the superior styling I expect, I will be a very happy camper. We must keep in mind that the top-of-the-line Altima that Road & Track tested is actually priced very near the Maxima 'S', and the much more common Altima 2.5 will not have stats anywhere near as impressive.

Based on Nakamura's statements, I expect the 8th gen Maxima to have a very slightly wider stance than the 7th gen, and with the use of Infinity M45 components at key points in its chassi, have slalom readings that are superior to any Altima.

In a nutshell, because of similar engine size and heavier weight, I don't expect the 8th gen Maxima to have a significant edge over the new 3.5 Altima in elapsed time runs, but do think it will be more maneuverable, more sporty, more stylish and more luxurious than the new Altima. That wil keep me very happy.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
THanks for the link, MONTE.

Those are some impressive stats for a high-volume middle-of-the-road mid-price family sedan. I think this new Altima could very well keep Consumer Reports top ranking for that category, which they have held most of the last six years.

Although the Maxima has been only marginally better than the Altima in performance the last ten years (which is not bad, considering the Maxima is a heavier and more luxurious car than the Altima), the Maxima has been clearly better style-wise in my mind. And that styling edge should continue, because the new Altima, although a good 'looker', shows almost nothing in the way of styling breakthroughs.

If the 8th gen Maxima can meet or edge these impressive Road & Track stats for the new lighter Altima by even a shade, and have the superior styling I expect, I will be a very happy camper. We must keep in mind that the top-of-the-line Altima that Road & Track tested is actually priced very near the Maxima 'S', and the much more common Altima 2.5 will not have stats anywhere near as impressive.

Based on Nakamura's statements, I expect the 8th gen Maxima to have a very slightly wider stance than the 7th gen, and with the use of Infinity M45 components at key points in its chassi, have slalom readings that are superior to any Altima.

In a nutshell, because of similar engine size and heavier weight, I don't expect the 8th gen Maxima to have a significant edge over the new 3.5 Altima in elapsed time runs, but do think it will be more maneuverable, more sporty, more stylish and more luxurious than the new Altima. That wil keep me very happy.
I concur!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 PM

any news on the 8th gens now?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
any news on the 8th gens now?
In a word, no.

Here is my guess (based on 35 years of owning nothing but Datsun/Nissan products):

Very little will have been officially finalized at this point (except maybe in the minds of those with great influence in determining those final decisions), but almost all those decisions must be locked in during the next 10 months.

Many of those decisions must be finalized within the next three to five months, as there is a front leeway required in order to have the equipment built and in place that is necessary to make some of the parts essential to begin assembling the first test versions of the 2015 Maxima. Those test versions should be coming off the assembly line in Smyrna beginning in either December 2013 or January 2014.

Barring problems with those test versions, the assembly line should be rolling full speed producing 2015 Maximas by the end of January 2014, so that there will be at least 5K to 10K on hand for distribution to dealers just prior to the official date on which the 8th gen can be sold to the public. That should be between March and June of 2014.

Based on prior statements from Nissan, the 8th gen Maxima will probably be based on the 2013 Altima platform, slightly widened, and with key chassi components replaced with parts from the Infiniti M series. It will have a redesigned CVT. It will have better acceleration and better handling than the 2013 Altima.

The two Nissan decisions of highest interest for me with the 8th gen are power plants and styling. Those mentioning well over 300 HP are headed in the wrong direction for 2015 government fuel efficiency requirements. Keep terms such as turbocharged, supercharged, four banger, diesel and hybrid in mind.

I suspect we will have word on the power plants by around August of next year, and the first styling hints should pop up around Thanksgiving of next year. Nissan will release photos of two parts of the 8th gen (one is always the headlamp assembly) in December, 2013. Some things never seem to change.

The styling will be, as seems to be normal with the Maxima, ahead of its time. There will be, just as with the 6th and 7th generations, lots of folks disappointed, promising to never darken their driveway with that ugly 8th gen Maxima. But, and this is an easy prediction, as the car is viewed on the streets, opinions will gradually change, and at some point, the 8th gen Maxima will be a very desired vehicle. As I said, some things never change.

Yes, we are all interested in the 8th gen. By this time next year, we should begin to have the first hints and clues of what Nissan has in store for us.