7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Tilt steering wheel issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
I got mine finally fixed today. $744 for anyone's FYI. If there is ever a Class-Action lawsuit on this issue, count me it.

I an provide part numbers, if anyone wants them.
This issue is definitely not worth $700 to me considering I don't ever have to tilt up and down. I'd rather buy the motor, install it myself, tilt the steering wheel to a comfortable position, and return the motor. Cost for the whole issue would be ~$20 it would cost to ship the motor back.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by LudaTej
This issue is definitely not worth $700 to me considering I don't ever have to tilt up and down. I'd rather buy the motor, install it myself, tilt the steering wheel to a comfortable position, and return the motor. Cost for the whole issue would be ~$20 it would cost to ship the motor back.
Not possible when you have two drivers for the car. One being tall, and the other being short.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

6 months or so with my 09 with 47k........and......

Both my tilt and telescoping motor went out same time two days ago in the full up position. Just my luck I was two hours from home at a customers when it happened. Drove two hours looking like an old school bus driver.....arggggghhh

Just got fixed by my local guy for about $640.00 OTD. Definitely TURNING OFF the auto up thing via the screen. Going to set it and forget it.

Right when I save up for some mods I end up having to spend all this money on two little motors that barely do anything.

Just great.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
Not possible when you have two drivers for the car. One being tall, and the other being short.
Agreed. I have constantly told my bride of 34 years that as soon as I can find a 6ft or taller woman....that I am NOT related to, she was history She just laughs and says, good luck with that, but until then, the telescoping and tilt had better work, the auto mirrors and seat positioning as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:05 PM

I have the 09 SV Sport and the two motors are still working well. Earlier I found myself with my hand on top of the steering wheel in the process of exiting the car while the steering wheel was repositioning itself out of the way. That can only add extra drag on the motors so I stopped that practice, hoping to add a little more life to the motors.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM
TBA

Originally Posted by Richard66
I have the 09 SV Sport and the two motors are still working well. Earlier I found myself with my hand on top of the steering wheel in the process of exiting the car while the steering wheel was repositioning itself out of the way. That can only add extra drag on the motors so I stopped that practice, hoping to add a little more life to the motors.
I was wondering the same thing. That is, for those with motor failures that also used the auto positioning function, did they use the steering wheel as a grab bar as it was moving up?

I also found myself doing that and have made a conscious effort not to.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM

FYI for others.

Name:  SteeringWheelInvoice_zps1e0ed9f8.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  87.7 KB
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

tilt steering column problems

I purchased a 2009 maxima sv with a bad electric tilt colum. After looking over the problems that I have seen with these columns I decided to convert to a manual control column. It works great, but was a somewhat tedious project as my car has paddle shifters. I had to make some modification to some parts but it was well worth it. The convertion without paddle shifter would be very simple. The columns are available for very reasonable cost as used units. It doesn't matter if you need fog lights or not as the turn signal switch is the same and can be transferred to the new unit. With paddle shifters you must use the original column shroud but you need to modify the lower section to allow the manual adjustment. You have to take a section out of the lower portion of the manual shroud and put it into the lower portion of the electric shroud. Just unhook the wires from the electric tilt and telescope and tape them into the harness. Transfer all of the electrical switches and the column lock and put it back together. Good Luck
Old 01-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Banned

Here is some good news for those that do not want to pay the outrageous price of a new motor and have it go bad on you again because of the plastic gears that Nissan continues to use on the motor. Dorman will be coming out with a gear set for the tilt and telescoping motors that can be replaced by anyone that is mechanically inclined. They were manufactured incorrectly back in November and as per Jim Squiccimara at Dorman, they will be coming out with the updated gears by the end of February or early March. There is already a how-to on the forum.

Scott