7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Rear Seat and Deck Lid Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 PM

rear deck lid removal

I have a really annoying metallic vibration coming from somewhere in the rear decklid. I took all of the trim out of the truck, and isolated it to somewhere in there, but I can't find how to remove the rear deck lid. I did a quick search but I can't find anything here or online about how to take the trim off. I remeber reading somewhere about fixing the cutout for the 3rd brake light when adding the spoiler but I can't locate the thread in a search (I thought this had the removal instructions). Does anyone have any directions on how to remove this trim?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Here are the steps to remove the rear deck lid.

1. Remove the rear seats, the top and bottom portion. The top portion of the rear seat is bolted down by three 13mm bolts I believe (I can't remember the exact size). If you have the Premium package, there is a harness you have to unplug.

2. The two side trim beside the rear window has to be removed. Where it says Airbag, remove that small piece and remove the screw in there. The side trim pieces are held by three clips. Be careful when removing the trim. Get a panel trim remover to help you remove the side pieces.

3. If you have the SV trim, you have a metal piece behind the rear seats. Remove that piece.

4. At the front of the rear deck lid trim, remove the three plastic clips.

5. The rear deck lid is held by 8 or 9 plastic clips. The rear deck lid should come off easily by lifting upwards. There is also a small harness you have to unplug.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM

HOW TO: Rear Seat and Deck Lid Removal

I couldn't find a write up for a rear seat or deck-liner removal, I had an annoying metallic vibration in there somewhere, so I decided to tear it apart and attempt a write up for future people. So here goes:

The usual disclaimer, I am sure I left things out, I am not a certified mechanic, this is for instructional purposes only, if you screw it up it's not my fault. Follow this at your own risk. I recommend, I didn't however, that you disconnect the battery to avoid setting off the airbags.

I tried my best to remember which size each bolt was. They all were either 13mm or 10mm. Deep sockets will be needed in addition to regular ones. Just have these on hand to get to each bolt when needed. You will also need a flat head screw driver and the socket wrench. I recommend cleaning supplies while you're in there to get rid of any hard to reach grime.

First Step is seat bottom removal. There are two latches that secure this on the lower front portions of the seat bottom in the middle of the left and right seats. Pull forward on them and the seat front will pop up. Then, while lifting slightly upward, pull forward and the seat bottom will come out. These latches are here:

Next step is to remove the rear seat back. There are two 13mm bolts and a 13mm nut that hold this down. It is difficult to get a wrench to spin for more than a few inches without an extension, so I recommend one. The bolt locations are here:
When the bolts are out you will need to lift the seat upwards. There are three mounting locations where a wire drops into the hanger. Image is here:
I recommend having a friend help you get this out. There is a bunch of metal hanging off the back that will damage your interior or door jamb paint if you are not careful... I wish I knew this, I put a nice gouge in the jamb paint.

The next step is C-Pillar trim removal. There is one bolt for each piece located behind the SRS AIRBAG tab. Use a flat object, like a flathead screw driver and carefully pry it out. It should just pop out as there is nothing really holding it in. Then using a 10mm deep socket, remove the bolt. The rest is held in with push pins and slides into the rear of the deck liner. In the front pull towards the middle of the car until you hear a pop. Then slide the trim piece toward the front of the car and the trim should come out with little effort. Then repeat on the other side.

Finally you can remove the deck trim. There are 7 yellow push pins. Just stick your hand in there and carefully separate them working from one side to the other. I have a premium package so I have the rear sunshade. There are 8 Velcro style grips that secure this to the rear of the deck liner. I noticed one of mine stayed on the sunshade bracket and came off of the deck liner. I recommend that you put it back on the deck liner as it will make reassembly much easier. Once you have popped the pins off pull forward firmly but gently and it should just slide out (the Velcro will give way).

While I was in there I figured I would remove the sunshade to eliminate that as my possible rattle source. There are 4-10mm bolts that hold this in, one on each end and two in the middle (front side). I have a few pics of these as it was awkward to try and get all 4 bolt locations at once.

Be careful with the one on the passenger side middle as it is located just under the sunshade and the socket wrench will damage it, as I did and you can see here, if you don’t put something in between the wrench and the sunshade.

I found my problem to be the telephone antenna receiver? I tried to guess what “ANT ASSY-TEL” meant. The silver bolt, orange/yellow circle, is what was slightly loose. I tightened it and it seems to have fixed the bulk of the rattle. I think the rear glass is also slightly to blame.

I took a few random shots of the rear area while I had it apart for others to look at, if interested in them. While you have all of this apart I recommend that you really clean the rear window as this is your best time to get all the edge area and all the way back. I am the second owner of the car and I think the first person really liked having their dog in there as there was hair everywhere. I scrubbed the trim, exposed metal, and seats real well and vacuumed real well to clean up as much crap as possible.

Putting it together is just the reverse and it should go back together real easy. I would estimate it should take about 0.75-1 hours with standard hand tools to take it apart and put it back together. If you have air, it should go much faster.
Things I have learned:
• Make sure the seat belts are IN FRONT of the seats when are bolting it up. It sucks getting done then realizing the seat belts are behind the seat back. The end ones you can bring forward without taking the seat back off, but the middle can’t because the driver’s side back hanger is in the way. So just bring them forward before bolting the seat back into place.
• I also noticed that the rear “X-Plate”, the black plate in the above pictures, that is supposed to stiffen up the body of the car was semi loose. I re-tightened the bolts to make it flex less..I am guessing this is true. I have just shy of 40K miles on it as of this write up. Each one took about a quarter to half a turn to get real snug again.

Last edited by vr4z06gt; 09-25-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Reserved
Old 09-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Thank you. I made a pictured write-up of the removal for future people reading this thread. It can be found here
Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Great write-up! Should be stickied!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fixed finally!!!!!! Back deck rattle

The real problem is the Iron bar behind the C Pillar Trim (SEE PHOTOS). If you tap it with your hand you will hear the noise. The bar connects to something going into the sunroof but its unmistakable to see when you remove the C- Pillar both sides of the car . There is a bar on both sides as well. To fix it i put a piece of insulation behind it which fits tight enough to brace it. You can test the fix by tapping on it again. You can use anything to brace it as long as it stays in place and is not constricting the bar from serving its intended purpose.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Seat and Deck Lid Removal-screen-shot-2016-01-30-1.05.12-pm.png   Rear Seat and Deck Lid Removal-screen-shot-2016-01-30-1.05.26-pm.png  
Old 01-19-2023, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs up Looking to FIX THAT RATTLE!!!

I have a 2009 Maxima SV with the Luxury, Sport & Tech Package, 6Spd w/ Padel Shifters @ the wheel 156K miles and the car really gets it on, BUT it now has that rattle and yes, it's driving ME CRAZY!!! I've decided to remove everything in the rear and look for anything (bolts) that is loose. Then I will tighten everything up again & I hope that it works, thanks for the pics and full description.

Last edited by SprtMAX; 01-19-2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 01-20-2023, 01:16 PM

Scribed @ 300K miles
Old 01-21-2023, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by SprtMAX
I have a 2009 Maxima SV with the Luxury, Sport & Tech Package, 6Spd w/ Padel Shifters @ the wheel 156K miles and the car really gets it on, BUT it now has that rattle and yes, it's driving ME CRAZY!!! I've decided to remove everything in the rear and look for anything (bolts) that is loose. Then I will tighten everything up again & I hope that it works, thanks for the pics and full description.
I have the same car only it's a 2010, (auto) with the same issue.
I actually replaced the rear window shade assembly roughly about 2 yrs ago, (it stopped working again).
I dropped my 10mm wrench in there somewhere but decided to leave it.
Since then, I've developed the rattle on the driver side, and I figure this spring would be the perfect time to tackle this fix and hopefully retrieve my lost wrench.
To help me stay motivated and not do a sloppy reassembly job, I took my time and put it back together over a 4-day period.
I found that I get the best results when I do big jobs like this.
It also helps that I have a 2nd vehicle to drive if my Maxima is going to be down for a few days.

Last edited by Maxgig; 01-21-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That darn Rattle

I hope things come out well and ( deletes rattle )