7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stillen UDP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Stillen UDP?

I have searched and searched through the 2 or 3 threads about this product for reviews but nobody really has a definite good or bad on this so i figured i would ask.

To the people who have bought the pulley, how do you like it? was it worth the money? im considering getting one because i had an UDP on my Eclipse and it made a world of difference in the acceleration.

i looked on the altima forums and the 3.5L guys over there have nothing but good things to say about it on their cars. i know it's not the same car but the gains should be about the same i would think with the same motor/tranny.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM

Bump, also interested...still
Old 09-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Bump, also interested...still
Same here.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 PM

U guys can ask Wally. He had it Install on his Max
Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM

This is the only post from someone that has them on a 7th gen that i can remember.

Originally Posted by gqblair22
definitely spools up faster, they didnt remove the harmonic dampers, and idk ifits a pain i paid my boy to do it who has a shop so it cost me next to nothing but it was so long ago i dont even remember what i paid sorry guys
Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 AM

i wish they made just a lightweight one, im worried about the underdrive negatively affecting any of my accessories

"All potential problems with an underdrive pulley stems from the accessory drives running at a slower than stock rate. Street to Strip says that problems are more likely to surface when the vehicle is idling. The charging system may be weak and the compressor may not produce as much power to run the air conditioning system as specified by the manufacturer. Most modern engines have electronic idle control mechanisms. One who attempts to change the calibrations of such mechanisms is likely to encounter problems, according to Street to Strip."

Last edited by Ghozt; 09-25-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Yo....i dont have a 7th gen......i have a 5.5 gen 2002 max with 6 speed...amd I bought the stillen UD pulley had it installed about a week ago...no problems.....no dim lights or negative affects on equipment....i can tell u car accelerates faster.....stock crank is really heavy compared to the stillen one......i love it...they sell a belt set with it because pulley a bit smaller...my.mechanic was able to use the stocl belt on one and used the new smaller belt on the other accessory...cant remember which one....but I would not worry about it....i would recommend it to anyone that asked me!!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 AM

bump...anyone with a 7th gen got this? i just bought one cause i want to feel the POWAH
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 PM

bump.... I want to be included in this info also.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 AM

I just ordered mine yesterday. Stillen had a promotion for the new year so I was able to get the smaller belt for free actually.
The UDP will arrive next week. I'll try the install soon next weekend and update everyone.
From what I hear, the mod will free up torque at the low rpm range and increase acceleration speed from 0 to 60.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 AM

nice, now i wont be the only one testing it.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM

The stillen UD Pulley is supposed to be only 1lb compared to the OEM at 4lbs. Im looking forward to hearing more about the performance gains here as well.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM

my UD pulley just arrived. looks extremely well made and is fairly light. i just had a new radiator put in (front end collision) so im gonna wait a week or so before i install this to make sure the repairs I just had were done correctly.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Jodius and ghozt please let us know pricing as well for install if your not doing it yourself. Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 AM

i just received my Stillen UDP package yesterday from fedex. i gotta tell you guys... this thing looks freakin sweet! real quality material...and it shines like a jewel. it feels so light in hand, and strong and sturdy too. the pulley feels perfectly balanced. i remember reading during my extensive researches on other forums and websites, that this pulley is the harmonic balancer. i've posted some pics below.

bigear82, you're right on the money with the weight. i placed this bad boy on my weigh scale, and this sucker only weighs in at 1lb! i'm curious to see how much the stock pulley weighs, and how big it is, when i pull it off.

picture of the smaller belt... not much to see. but i just wanted to note that with the smaller pulley size you will need to install a smaller belt.

my plan is to perform the installation tomorrow afternoon. i'll keep you guys updated with the install and my review of the product. look forward to a DIY for the underdrive pulley install!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 AM

bumpp hp gain?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 AM

sick looking forward to it man. i was gonna take this to my boy to install but depending on how hard you make it look i may do it myself now.. good luck!!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Man I'm excited to hear about this review. This would be tempting to buy since that stillen free belt promo ends on the 31st.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 AM

do us a favor and test all the electronics too while idling and driving.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 PM

got it in my cart, just waiting to hear some good news.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Just got mine in the mail and tried installing today. My 230lbs impact wrench didn't do any damage on that pulley bolt. I did everything I could to get that thing off and couldn't get it. Going to a buddy's shop tomorrow to use a larger impact. The install is REALLY easy if you have the right tools. Would have taken me half an hour if I would have had something to get that bolt out.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM

hey copekyle can you take a couple pics of the install and post them here? would be helpful and maybe save some others time
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM

tried the install with my buddy at his house earlier this afternoon, but was not able to get the stock crank pulley off. here's a recap of the install.

1: raise the car on jack stands.

2:take the right wheel off.

3: remove the splash guard behind the wheel by taking off the push-clips.

here's a pic of the pulley set up. the crank pulley is pointed out with the red arrow.

3: remove the tension in the belt. take a wrench on the tension pulley and pull down with your right hand. the force will push the tension pulley to the left which will line up the two holes to the left of the tension pulley. stick a thick allen wrench when the two holes line up to remove the tension off the belt.

here's an angle where you can see the tension pulley to the left of the crank pulley and the two holes i'm talkin about.

4: remove the belt. make a note of how the belt is supposed to look as you are supposed to place the new belt the same way. draw it on a piece of paper and be sure to indicate how the belt wraps in relation to the various pulleys.

5: remove the stock crank pully. this is where i failed to progress in the install. my friend's 250 ft/lb impact wrench wasn't strong enough to screw out the bolt. i'll need to try an impact wrench with power of 400 - 500 ft/lbs.

6 and so on.... replace the pulley with the UDP and put the humpty dumpty 7th gen maxima back together again.

looking back at the install, it's a relatively easy process. the only hard part is the part of having to loosen the bolt. if you don't have a strong enough impact gun, you might have to suck it up and take this to a shop for an install.

i'm going to see if another friend of mine has a strong enough impact gun (or i could look into investing into a strong enough impact gun). otherwise, i may have to take it to a shop.

if i ever try the install again... i'll take better pics and have more detail of the install.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM

with the right tools, the job should be an easy 2 hours or less.

my friend and i got the car on jacks, the wheel off and the belt de-tensioned in about half an hour.

the next 20 min was spent trying to engineer ways to remove the crank pulley bolt when we realized the impact gun wasn't working out. i would say that once the pulley bolt is out, the install is all down hill from there.

i got to my friend's house at 4:15pm... and i had my car back on the ground around 5:30pm. i wish i could have had the install finished and the car back on the ground at 6:30pm before the Giants and 49ers game tonight.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM

I installed mine and everything in the interior lights etc work fine idk why you guys are so worried... I do feel a slight better pull from the start. Had it for while already I'm used to it.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Here you go guys. This is the step by step I used. It's designed for an altima but the same engine and placement of everything (pulley related).

http://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-still...5-t405345.html
Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Makc1kNYC
I installed mine and everything in the interior lights etc work fine idk why you guys are so worried... I do feel a slight better pull from the start. Had it for while already I'm used to it.
it's an UD pulley meaning it drives the alternator less and therefore there's less electrical current running through the vehicle. with all the electronics in our cars I assumed lower current would have negatively affected something but it's good to see everything is working well.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
it's an UD pulley meaning it drives the alternator less and therefore there's less electrical current running through the vehicle.
Only up to the balance rpm. Then it's all excess current anyways.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 AM

How'd you manage to get the crank bolt off? You take it to a shop or do it yourself?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Only up to the balance rpm. Then it's all excess current anyways.
ahh, good to know. ill have mine installed this week, helpful that I can tell him exactly where it is and how to get to it. thanks for the pics guys!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM

just a side note. I got mine on finally and let it run for about five minutes. Noticed a small spider web of oil on my new pulley. This got me nervous and so I started searching online for oil leak problems with new pulleys. Two options, either I damaged the seal or the "key hole" on the pulley is leaking. I'm almost positive I did not damage the seal as I never touched the inside area where the seal is. So I'm gonna pull it all back apart and use High Temp RTV in the keyed area on the new pulley. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by copekyle
just a side note. I got mine on finally and let it run for about five minutes. Noticed a small spider web of oil on my new pulley. This got me nervous and so I started searching online for oil leak problems with new pulleys. Two options, either I damaged the seal or the "key hole" on the pulley is leaking. I'm almost positive I did not damage the seal as I never touched the inside area where the seal is. So I'm gonna pull it all back apart and use High Temp RTV in the keyed area on the new pulley. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.
here is a picture of what I was referring to..

Last edited by copekyle; 01-24-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: resize picture
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 PM

What method did you use to tighten the crank bolt upon reinstall?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 AM

I put the pulley in place and tapped it with a rubber hammer just to set it and make sure the key was in place. I then held the pulley in place as I tightened the bolt to 33ft/lbs. I then drew marks on the pulley bolt and pulley and tightened the bolt a full 90 degree turn.

I took it all apart again and put RTV in the keyed area. I let it sit 24 hours and started it up. No more oil leak. I'm gonna put the wheel back on and take it for a spirited drive and see if the seal holds. I'll update after the drive.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM

SUCCESS!!! No more oil leak! Did a few 0-60 runs and then took her out on the freeway to open it up. I came back home and no oil leak. So my advice to anyone doing this install is to put high temp RTV in the "keyed" or "notched" area of the pulley before installing. Even if your pulley was machined more precise than mine, the RTV won't hurt anything if it's not actually needed.

Good luck to everyone doing this install!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Copekyle - what did you think about the performance gains from the pulley? Thanks for all the info.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigear82
Copekyle - what did you think about the performance gains from the pulley? Thanks for all the info.
This is a question that will come up a lot with every individual mod for this car. I've been reading a ton in these forums and have noticed that with every mod (intake, spacers, BOP's, exhaust, pulley) people have been saying that they work great but then others say the same mod didn't do anything. I've drawn a conclusion from all these varying opinions, the computer limits our car to a certain gain no matter what mods are installed.

That being said, I had R2C Intake, Thermal Spacers and BOP's installed before the pulley install. I'm still on the first tank of gas from these mods so the car hasn't fully adjusted to them. The pulley doesn't seem to make a difference in my car at all BUT this does not mean it won't work with the set up you have in your car.

I feel like you would feel the gain from this pulley if it was your first mod but after you get down the list of all mods for this car, you may not feel a difference.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM

keep us posted!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigear82
Man I'm excited to hear about this review. This would be tempting to buy since that stillen free belt promo ends on the 31st.
whats the promo code.. it doesnt show up for me in my cart.

Quick Reply: Stillen UDP?