7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Replacement Tires

Wanted to start a thread specifically dedicated to replacement tires. Not Rims, Not ranting about the RSA's, just dedication to what people have been happy with.

My 2010 Premium has 15k miles on it and I cannot stand the RSA any longer, I will be calling around locally tomorrow trying to find out whats recommended.

Priorities for my new tires:

1.) Traction
2.) Smoothness
3.) Quietness
4.) This car does OCCASIONLLY see snow, not often, but it will. So I guess I HAVE to choose an all season tire :-/

2 & 3 are just about a tie but I think between the two I would defer to the smoother tire.

What tires did you buy to replace your factory ones, how happy are you with them?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 PM

When I had my 2010 Maxima I ended up replacing the factory tires with Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Performance All Seasons). The upgrade was well worth the cost of the tires as it improved on all the attributes / priorities you made reference.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ricko
When I had my 2010 Maxima I ended up replacing the factory tires with Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Performance All Seasons). The upgrade was well worth the cost of the tires as it improved on all the attributes / priorities you made reference.
2nd that and plenty others would too. I may even by the dws for winter stock 18s
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 PM

After reading all the tire reviews I could find last spring, I decided that when my RS-As finally wear out (looks like it will be around 40K miles), although they have worked beautifully for me, I will still be changing to Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:16 PM

If so many here say goodyear RS-A's are such a bad tire then why do they cost more than the Continental DWS tires.

Discount Tire pricing

Goodyear RSA's 269.00 each
Continental DWS 234.00 each
Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
If so many here say goodyear RS-A's are such a bad tire then why do they cost more than the Continental DWS tires.

Discount Tire pricing

I can't believe you just made that argument.
Cost inflation doesn't mean a higher quality product.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Discount Tire pricing

Yea that's a pretty crappy argument.

Do you buy bread that way?

Medicine?

Gas?

Clothes?

Cars?

If that is the case I have some high quality organic 'potting' material (extra fiber for better soil nutrition) for sale it costs much more than the stuff from home depot (about $2,000/ton)...I also have a readily available supply of 'high octane' gas that I would be willing to sell at $7.95 a gallon, your engine will run much much smother even at higher compression rates.

But in all reality if you want a good tire, and need some winter time capability, the continental DWS is a very good choice.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Discount Tire pricing

Richard - You need to weigh posts here in context. Yes, we have had quite a few folks here who are not happy with their RS-As. But then there are thousands of Maxima.org members, and only a few dozen complaining about their RS-As.

Folks tend to post about things they are not happy with, but when someone is getting average or normal service form something, they seldom post about that. I had very good service with RS-As on my 6th gen Maxima, and have had absolutely no complaints with the RS-As on my 7th gen Maxima. Others here have said essentially the same thing.

The primary reason I will be replacing my RS-As with the Conti DWS tires is because, while the RS-As have been good performers for me, I can get better performance (DWS) for less money.

And one reason the RS-As cost more than the DWS tires is because American labor is expensive (Continental is a Gernman Corp), and Goodyear spends millions more than Continental in racing support and in high profile advertising.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 PM

Well, I just got back from a 9 hour round-trip run through tropical depression Lee, and I couldn't be more impressed with the Falken 452's that I have recently gone to . I already new they were very quiet and gripped well on dry pavement, but I wasn't sure how they would handle really wet weather.

I must say,they are a very....very good, wet traction tire. I had no instances where I felt like the car was attempting to hydro-plane even though I often found myself going faster than I thought I was. I ran highway speeds the entire trip. I cant say anything about wear, but, I do know the Falkens I have on my truck are approaching 45k and have plenty of life in them. I've been very happy with them as well.

I think Falken tires are a perfect combo of performance and price. At least worth a look on your part. Im sold already.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Well when I had my 09 I had Costco install a new set of Primacy MXM4 and they were perfect in every way. I love Michelin however I always check out other brands when researching a purchase but I always seem to get Michelin time after time. My motto is buy the best and cry only once.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...4/tire-details

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 09-05-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
And one reason the RS-As cost more than the DWS tires is because American labor is expensive (Continental is a Gernman Corp), and Goodyear spends millions more than Continental in racing support and in high profile advertising.
I agree with everything you said except the last statement, Continental has increased spending and Goodyear has cut racing costs for several years, it's not even a cost category anymore in their quarterly earnings.

Continental is more than ever involved in racing, All GRAND-AM Road Racing Series, including the Rolex Sports Car Series and the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Series, run exclusively on Continental tires and this is just the title series, they sponsor lots of teams in other series as well.

Yes they are German however in North America they are based in Fort Mill, SC, just outside of Charlotte, NC.

Another factoid is that General Tire is the same company and Continental is very diverse in the automotive world with many products not just tires.

While Goodyear has scaled back from racing in a big way, fact is the only big series where they are a major title sponsor is NASCAR and it's been in the rumor mill for the last two seasons that they plan to leave or ask NASCAR to invite other tire suppliers to the series in order to reduce costs. Goodyear closed their Union city plant last July and opened a new Chinese manufacturing plant earlier this year so now maybe we'll get cheaper tires but at the expense of American jobs unfortunately.

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 09-05-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 AM

+1, thats exactly what I got this past weekend. Cost $261 Installed/tire.

Best in smoothness, quiet, traction is superb in rain and dry. Haven't tested out on Snow yet. But did on an A6, and I loved it.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacement for RS-A in Florida

I live in Florida and my stock RSA's are about done (38k). I'm looking for a good tire that handles well in the rain (no snow down here...).
I felt that I have been hydroplaning on the RSA's the last few times.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM

14K and I am fine with my RSA on my 2010 SV. Don't know what the fuss is about the stock RSA's. I am gonna ride these to the threads. Next set of tires I buy will be going on 20" Vossen's.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead but i have 41K miles on the OEM tires (which in my opinion suck) and I am researching some tires right now. I am only going to be in the car anouther year 15K miles and my lease is up so I was thinking Kumho Ecsta 4X (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

Does anyone have these tires. I am in NJ so I need something that is all season! They are $600 for 4 after MIR..
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM

Can someone recommend me a good tire for all 4 in the 400-700 range. I have read reviews on Federal Tires and some others..just wanted an opinion
Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
Can someone recommend me a good tire for all 4 in the 400-700 range. I have read reviews on Federal Tires and some others..just wanted an opinion
Bridgestone Potenza pole positions should be that range the UHP All Seasons
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
Bridgestone Potenza pole positions should be that range the UHP All Seasons
Thanks PSU, btw I got rid of my facebook..too much drama on that **** social network. I'll check them out, thanks for the incite as always!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
Thanks PSU, btw I got rid of my facebook..too much drama on that **** social network. I'll check them out, thanks for the incite as always!
Haha yeah that's FB for ya