7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2011 vs 2010 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM

2011 vs 2010 Brakes

I purchased a 2010 SV Sport in July 2010. The brakes were good. If I stepped on it hard the car stopped on a dime. Now, I traded in for a 2011 SV Premium and the brakes are horrible. I almost rear ended a Rouge that was coming to a stop from about 45-50 MPH. I applied the brakes and the car began to slow down. The closer I got to the Rouge the harder I press on the pedal. However, the harder I push the pedal, the car continued to stop at a constant rate like the brake pressure was constant. It feels like the brakes are working at only 50% while I apply more pressure. I took it to 2 different dealers and they say everything is fine. I let two different people drive the car (both have owned a 7th gen max) and they can tell the brakes are not right. At first, I figured it was due to the car being new and sitting on the lot since March/April. After driving 1200 miles the brakes still feel like crap and the dealer says they perform normal. What can I try to do next?

Also noticed 30-40% more brake dust compared to the 2010.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM

I remember reading somewhere that some model years of the 7th gen had some bad brake boosters. Could have sworn it was only for 09-10 build years though. After 1,200 miles, the brakes are more than bedded in. I'd find a third party shop to check them out instead of a Nissan dealer since it sounds like each dealer is giving you the same story.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by anish3232
I purchased a 2010 SV Sport in July 2010. The brakes were good. If I stepped on it hard the car stopped on a dime. Now, I traded in for a 2011 SV Premium and the brakes are horrible. I almost rear ended a Rouge that was coming to a stop from about 45-50 MPH. I applied the brakes and the car began to slow down. The closer I got to the Rouge the harder I press on the pedal. However, the harder I push the pedal, the car continued to stop at a constant rate like the brake pressure was constant. It feels like the brakes are working at only 50% while I apply more pressure. I took it to 2 different dealers and they say everything is fine. I let two different people drive the car (both have owned a 7th gen max) and they can tell the brakes are not right. At first, I figured it was due to the car being new and sitting on the lot since March/April. After driving 1200 miles the brakes still feel like crap and the dealer says they perform normal. What can I try to do next?

There was a TSB to fix the brakes but doing the opposite. People found them to touchy and braked sooner than expected. Its possible that they "fixed" this with the 2011+ models and now they are just to soft? Did you ever get that TSB done on your old car? That might be the difference. Ask the sales department to allow you do test drive another maxima and see if there is a difference between the two. I know on my 2010 the brakes go about 40% to the floor before they catch. But when I take it in for warranty work the loaner altima brakes grab with very little application to the pedal.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by vr4z06gt
There was a TSB to fix the brakes but doing the opposite. People found them to touchy and braked sooner than expected. Its possible that they "fixed" this with the 2011+ models and now they are just to soft? Did you ever get that TSB done on your old car? That might be the difference. Ask the sales department to allow you do test drive another maxima and see if there is a difference between the two. I know on my 2010 the brakes go about 40% to the floor before they catch. But when I take it in for warranty work the loaner altima brakes grab with very little application to the pedal.
my '09 and '11 feel the same pretty much

i need to press about 25% to get any real breaking

my wife's altima like 5% LOL
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 PM

I think the brake performance on this car is horrible, my 09 was mediocre at best and my 11 seems even worse however I on'y have 534 miles on it.

I plan to replace the calipers, rotors and pads with a AP kit, Brembo, or something along that line. I know it's only a Maxima but it's something that really bugs me, last weekend I drove my Cayman to the movie theater and practically put myself and my wife through the windshield a couple times since I'm so use to driving the Maxima during the week with such poor braking performance.

This: http://www.brake-pros.com/product.asp?id=APBRKIT4P&c=BR or http://www.mattblehm.com/300ZX_brakes.htm

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 08-22-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 AM

Id talk to Nissan first before u fix it yourself. Just not cool for Nissan to provide such lousy breaks.

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
I think the brake performance on this car is horrible, my 09 was mediocre at best and my 11 seems even worse however I on'y have 534 miles on it.

I plan to replace the calipers, rotors and pads with a AP kit, Brembo, or something along that line. I know it's only a Maxima but it's something that really bugs me, last weekend I drove my Cayman to the movie theater and practically put myself and my wife through the windshield a couple times since I'm so use to driving the Maxima during the week with such poor braking performance.

This: http://www.brake-pros.com/product.asp?id=APBRKIT4P&c=BR or http://www.mattblehm.com/300ZX_brakes.htm
Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
Id talk to Nissan first before u fix it yourself. Just not cool for Nissan to provide such lousy breaks.
not lousy, they feel more like a big luxury car feels, my brakes feel fine but I get the soft cushy braking through a 3rd of the pedal length and hard braking you have to step on it heavy/hard.

I eventually might swap the Infiniti BBK or 370Z Akebonos on
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
not lousy, they feel more like a big luxury car feels, my brakes feel fine but I get the soft cushy braking through a 3rd of the pedal length and hard braking you have to step on it heavy/hard.

I eventually might swap the Infiniti BBK or 370Z Akebonos on
Have you read this article? Good read. Concept Z performance is here in Phoenix, I think I'll go see them tomorrow and see if the mounting kit from Matt Blehm will work on our car, if not I'll see if if they can create a kit for our car.

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/i...edmagazine.pdf

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 08-23-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 AM

Have you read this article? Good read. Concept Z performance is here in Phoenix, I think I'll go see them tomorrow and see if the mounting kit from Matt Blehm will work on our car, if not I'll see if if they can create a kit for our car.

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/i...edmagazine.pdf
Just read that article, really impressive to see how the new brakes made such a difference, especially with cooler temps, also nice to see 4 pot upfront and 2 in the rear

I have been reading quite a bit about brake upgrades, Im confused from what I have read, someone in the Altima community has an 08/09 Altima with the 370Z Akebono BBK, essentially it is a direct bolt on if you use the larger rotors, stick with the OEM 12.6 and you need the braket to relocate the facebook 7th gen facebook page has a pic, I have not searched the Altima community for more info on this white BBK car.

here is the pic: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...P1010102-1.jpg

just realized your link is the same as this one

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...83024.98.79.48

if these fit I would buy them

Last edited by STARR; 08-24-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM

I have been reading quite a bit about brake upgrades, Im confused from what I have read, someone in the Altima community has an 08/09 Altima with the 370Z Akebono BBK, essentially it is a direct bolt on if you use the larger rotors, stick with the OEM 12.6 and you need the braket to relocate the facebook 7th gen facebook page has a pic, I have not searched the Altima community for more info on this white BBK car.
Honestly if you don't utilize the 14" rotors on the Akebono BBK, the 4-pot caliper upgrade is pointless. You're still getting almost the same amount of clamping force, but the actual pad surface hitting the rotor is smaller.

I'd buy the complete 4-pot caliper, rotor, shims, SS lines kit as a whole so you don't have to worry about a bracket relo. Sure, its more money, but upgrading to a 14" rotor definitely has it's advantages.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
I'd buy the complete 4-pot caliper, rotor, shims, SS lines kit as a whole so you don't have to worry about a bracket relo. Sure, its more money, but upgrading to a 14" rotor definitely has it's advantages.
Thats my plan just to get the complete kit with the 14" rotors, for the front kit it's kinda cheap in comparison to what I have spent in the past on just rotors and pads for all four wheels, and I don't like how larger calipers look on smaller rotors
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM

That's weird because from my 09 to my 11 the braking was DRASTICALLY improved! Almost night and day comparing the two....now the 09 MAX was good, better than any other ride I have owned....but the 2011 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 09.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Thats my plan just to get the complete kit with the 14" rotors, for the front kit it's kinda cheap in comparison to what I have spent in the past on just rotors and pads for all four wheels, and I don't like how larger calipers look on smaller rotors
You planning on doing the BBK upgrade soon or is this on the wish list for the future? I'm getting really antsy to just say eff it and put it on the credit card
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM

I'm all set to spend the afternoon tomorrow at concept Z and see if the 14" Akebono kit is a direct bolt-on and if not what will it take..

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...298.191.127.76
Old 08-25-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by anish3232

Try bleeding brakes. You may have some air in your lines.
good luck,
Max
Old 08-25-2011, 02:30 PM

You planning on doing the BBK upgrade soon or is this on the wish list for the future? I'm getting really antsy to just say eff it and put it on the credit card
My only issue with the brakes, time and a place to put them on, Im in GA, when I can put the kit on is Xmas when I drive home to NY, but I want to do front and rear.

Also, waiting to see what MaxLoverAz finds out with this kit
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM

My only issue with the brakes, time and a place to put them on, Im in GA, when I can put the kit on is Xmas when I drive home to NY, but I want to do front and rear.

Also, waiting to see what MaxLoverAz finds out with this kit
It's been done on a 2008 Altima V6 sedan. Just but the whole front kit and I believe the only thing you need from a G35/G37 is the banjo bolt and some stainless brake lines. The rotors, calipers, and caliper bracket bolt right up. We have the same size front brakes as the base 370Z, and the Akebono BBK is a direct bolt-on for them.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM

It's been done on a 2008 Altima V6 sedan. Just but the whole front kit and I believe the only thing you need from a G35/G37 is the banjo bolt and some stainless brake lines. The rotors, calipers, and caliper bracket bolt right up. We have the same size front brakes as the base 370Z, and the Akebono BBK is a direct bolt-on for them.
That is why I plan to just buy the kit, rotors included, don't feel like piecing it together.

Separate question, what are banjo bolts, are you talkin front or rear, and I guess the rear dust shields will need to be removed/cut to fit
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM

That is why I plan to just buy the kit, rotors included, don't feel like piecing it together.

Separate question, what are banjo bolts, are you talkin front or rear, and I guess the rear dust shields will need to be removed/cut to fit
A banjo bolt looks like a normal bolt, but has a hole through the shaft of it to transfer fluid. Here's an example of where the bolt is on a brake caliper:

Also, if you're not getting aftermarket SS brake lines (Like ones from Z1 Motorsports), you'll need the shorter banjo bolts and a set of copper washers.

Here's a link to a complete kit where you can choose all the extras (like larger dust shields so you dont have to modify the stockers).

http://www.z1motorsports.com/g37_370...oducts_id=4300
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Sorry guys this dam Hurricane Irene screwed up my whole day, we've been enacting our companies DR plan. This sucks I was going to go see the Ayrton Senna movie and then spend a couple hours at Concept Z. Oh well always have next week.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:18 AM

A banjo bolt looks like a normal bolt, but has a hole through the shaft of it to transfer fluid. Here's an example of where the bolt is on a brake caliper:

Also, if you're not getting aftermarket SS brake lines (Like ones from Z1 Motorsports), you'll need the shorter banjo bolts and a set of copper washers.

Here's a link to a complete kit where you can choose all the extras (like larger dust shields so you dont have to modify the stockers).

http://www.z1motorsports.com/g37_370...oducts_id=4300
Oh I know what that is, I never think of bolt with hole in it when I hear the word banjo

Doesn't the kit come with SS brake lines and the banjo bolt.

Sorry guys this dam Hurricane Irene screwed up my whole day, we've been enacting our companies DR plan. This sucks I was going to go see the Ayrton Senna movie and then spend a couple hours at Concept Z. Oh well always have next week.
No rush, the anticipation is building but I have plenty of time to wait I just want to know what they have to say, and also what we have to do to make the rear kit fit, Im guessing remove/cut the dust sheild
Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Oh I know what that is, I never think of bolt with hole in it when I hear the word banjo

Doesn't the kit come with SS brake lines and the banjo bolt.

No rush, the anticipation is building but I have plenty of time to wait I just want to know what they have to say, and also what we have to do to make the rear kit fit, Im guessing remove/cut the dust sheild
Yeah, same here man

The kit doesn't include the SS lines, but it's only a $100 option.

I believe for the 2-pot rear kit, its just modifying the stock dust shield (or removing it altogether). Could also look into acquiring a set of the rear dust shields from a G37S, but not sure if it's a perfect fit.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Okay so I got down to Concept Z this afternoon and we bolted on a rotor and the 4-piston Akebono caliper. Fits perfectly although the dust shield needs to be removed or cut and bent back, I'll just be removing mine. The calipers are awesome and yes no brackets are required just bolt them right up. You can use the same hardware but I think you need to get either longer brake lines or just get the SS lines at the same time, to me that seems to be the way to go.

As for clearance the 18" and 19" OEM wheels can clear but only if you add 15 MM spacers. We bolted up the wheel and verified with a 15 MM spacer your good. I think for now I'm going to get the spacers since I have no idea what wheels I plan to purchase, 19" somethings with a 35-30 MM offset should work.

Stock:

Akebono:

Misc. Pics:

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 08-30-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: wrong offset
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM

That is awesome, so a 15mm spacer will be needed, and remove the dust shield, did they do the rear.

Brakes look awesome

This was just a test fitting right, you did not drive away with them

Last edited by STARR; 08-30-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM

VERY nice. How much space was there with the factory 18's after the spacers were installed? Do you have a rough estimate on cost for both sets if one were to install it themselves?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM

That is awesome, so a 15mm spacer will be needed, and remove the dust shield, did they do the rear.

Didn't look at the read although they seem to think it might work, I'll do the rear after I get the fronts on.

Brakes look awesome

This was just a test fitting right, you did not drive away with them
Yes just a test fit will be ordering soon.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM

VERY nice. How much space was there with the factory 18's after the spacers were installed? Do you have a rough estimate on cost for both sets if one were to install it themselves?
Not much somewhere between 3-5 MM maybe less.

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 08-30-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 PM

Not much somewhere between 3-5 MM maybe less.
Is it the backspacing of the wheel? There is that awkward dip about halfway back on the rim, does it simply need to get to that point and everything fits decently? I know the G37sport has 18" rims and the 4pot calipers with 14" rotors....
Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Is it the backspacing of the wheel? There is that awkward dip about halfway back on the rim, does it simply need to get to that point and everything fits decently? I know the G37sport has 18" rims and the 4pot calipers with 14" rotors....
No it's the caliper clearance, between the wheel spokes and the caliper you need another 15mm for it to clear. G37S rims are ALL 19" maybe your looking at the G35S rims.

G35/37 wheels are a pain to keep track of, here is a cheat sheet, basically any of the 18"/19" +30 to +35mm offset should clear but measure and check I won't take credit for your mistakes.

G35 Coupe Wheel Offsets

OEM wheel specifications:
17" wheels
Front: 17x7.5 +30mm offset
Rear: 17x8 +33mm offset

18" wheels
Front & Rear: 18x8 +30mm offset
Weight: 23.5lbs

19" wheels
Front: 19x8 +30mm offset
Rear: 19x8.5" +33mm offset

Commonly used after-market offsets:
Very Aggressive:

Front width: 9.5" +19mm offset
Rear with: 10.5" +17mm offset

Aggressive:
Front width: 8.5" +20-22mm offset
Rear width:9.5" +22 mm offset

Most common tire sized used 245 series front and 275 rear.

G37 OEM Wheels Specs
Sport
Front: 19"x8.5". Cast aluminum. Made for Nissan/Infiniti by Enkei. Weight: 26.5 lbs. Bolt pattern 114.3 x 5 Offset +43
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/45/19 92W. UTQG 140AA, weight 27 lbs., tread depth 10/32"

Rear: 19"x9". Cast aluminum. Made for Nissan/Infiniti byEnkei. Weight: 27.5 lbs. Bolt pattern 114.3 x 5. Offset +45
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245/40/19 94W. UTQG 140AA, weight 30 lbs., tread depth 10/32"

Other: Lugs- 60° tapered seat, 2.7oz/76 grams each. OEM wheel locks- 3.2oz./91 grams each. Center caps .3oz./14 grams each. TPMS sensors (with valve stem & collar) 1.2oz/34 grams each (Part # 40700 -JK00B) .

G37
non sport
Front & Rear 18x8 +43mm offset

Front width: 8.5" +30-35mm offset
Rear width: 9.5" +30-35mm offset

*NOTE: G37 and G35 coupe offests differ completely. G35 coupe offests are way to aggressive for the G37 and will not work*

1st GEN G35 Sedan OEM Wheel Specs
Sport Model (2003-2004) & Non Sport Model
Front & Rear: 17x7 +45mm offset
Weight: 23.2lbs

Sport Model (2005-2006)
Front & Rear: 18x7.5 +45mm offset

Non Sport Model (2005-2006)
Front & Rear : 17x7 +45mm offset

All first Gen years
Front width: 8.5" +29-30mm offset
Rear width: 9.5" +35-40mm offset
Rear width: 10" +42-45mm offset

245 series front tire and 265-275 rear tire are most commonly used

2nd GEN G35 Sedan OEM Wheel Specs

2007-2008 17" wheels
Front & Rear -17"x7.5" +45mm offset

2007-2008 18" sport wheels
Front: 18x7.5 +45mm offset (appx 23.7lbs)
Rear: 18x8.5 +50mm offset (appx 22.4lbs)

*See 1st GEN G35 Sedan after-market offsets*

***NOTE PERTAINING TO AWD SEDANS FOR EITHER GENERATION*** (IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO RUN STAGGERED WHEEL SETUPS AS IT MAY THROW OFF THE VDC)

*NOTE: With all after-market applications, rear fenders may need to be rolled to prevent rubbing issues depending on suspension setup and tire size*
Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 AM

humm....maybe the website is wrong, but I built a G37 6mt sport (sedan), and the features are:

Brakes
Sport (Front/Rear)
Aluminum 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14.0 x 1.3-inch ventilated discs/2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8 x 0.8-inch ventilated discs; 4-wheel, 4-channel ABS
Standard
Wheels and Tires
Sport (RWD)
18 x 7.5-inch, split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 W-rated summer performance tires (front), 18 x 8.5-inch, split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 245/45R18 W-rated summer performance tires (rear)
Standard
Spare Tire
Temporary use, aluminum T145/70R18 (for 4 piston brakes)
Standard
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

humm....maybe the website is wrong, but I built a G37 6mt sport (sedan), and the features are:

Brakes
Sport (Front/Rear)
Aluminum 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14.0 x 1.3-inch ventilated discs/2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8 x 0.8-inch ventilated discs; 4-wheel, 4-channel ABS
Standard
Wheels and Tires
Sport (RWD)
18 x 7.5-inch, split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 W-rated summer performance tires (front), 18 x 8.5-inch, split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 245/45R18 W-rated summer performance tires (rear)
Standard
Spare Tire
Temporary use, aluminum T145/70R18 (for 4 piston brakes)
Standard
The rears might but if they have a +43mm offset forget about it. You need at least +35 mm
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Yes just a test fit will be ordering soon.
That is EPIC info and all I needed confirmation on. I'm going to be pissed (jealous) if you get those bolted up before I can

Sounds like these will fit just fine on my stock 18's (20mm front spacer).

You are the MAN for having CZP that close to you and doing a test fit on this BBK.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:01 PM

That is EPIC info and all I needed confirmation on. I'm going to be pissed (jealous) if you get those bolted up before I can

Sounds like these will fit just fine on my stock 18's (20mm front spacer).

You are the MAN for having CZP that close to you and doing a test fit on this BBK.
any information on this adaptation?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bryansuavo
any information on this adaptation?
I ended up nixing this idea and just went with EBC Redstuff pads on all 4 corners instead. The 14" rotors up front add a lot more unsprung weight to the front axle. Not an issue for RWD cars, but since ours is FWD, that means more rotating mass to accelerate.

I've honestly been happy with just the Redstuff upgrade for the past two weeks, plus they have a MOT of over 1000* farenheit.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Whoever thinks these cars have "lousy" brakes .... I'm sorry but there must be something wrong with your car. The brakes on my 2012 are just fine, thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 AM

i remember when i first got my car i almost rear ended someone and it was the 2nd day, pretty scarey lol
Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 AM

My 09 SV has had no issues at all with braking distance or pedal feel. Running hawk HPS pads now and that improved the feel by a bit especially when running some hot laps at the track. Oem pads started to disappear about 20-25 min in. Since sessions are about 30-35 min that could get a bit hairy. Now with the new pads no fade at all during the entire session.

It should be noted that I use redline brake fluid since they are one of my sponsors on the Mustang.