7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

S owners who installed HIDs.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM

S owners who installed HIDs.....

Before I order a set of HIDs(5000k) from v-leds.com, I was curious to know what your experience was like when you were in my situation (deciding on which HIDs to go with).

Also, if you don't mind me asking a few Qs....:

-What brand did you decide to go with?

-What is this "slim" H11 bulbs that I'm seeing on v-leds (just sent them an email asking)? What's the difference?

-What would you have differently if you could go back in time (buy a better set, have a friend help you, etc...) ?

-What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for answering the Qs.

Mod - I searched and read a few threads regarding this topic but decided to create a new one in the 7th gen section. I'd like to read the feedback from this section, especially the S owners. Thank you.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by minsbang
Before I order a set of HIDs(5000k) from v-leds.com, I was curious to know what your experience was like when you were in my situation (deciding on which HIDs to go with).

Also, if you don't mind me asking a few Qs....:

-What brand did you decide to go with?

-What is this "slim" H11 bulbs that I'm seeing on v-leds (just sent them an email asking)? What's the difference?

-What would you have differently if you could go back in time (buy a better set, have a friend help you, etc...) ?

-What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for answering the Qs.

Mod - I searched and read a few threads regarding this topic but decided to create a new one in the 7th gen section. I'd like to read the feedback from this section, especially the S owners. Thank you.
Me I was curious on how bright the lights are gonna be so then I ordered mine off of hiddirectstore.com when I had my 7th gen civic and had 2 hids low beam and high beam.
Then I didnt need to use the high beams.. I had regular ballast and slim ballast, high beam with slim ballast. Took it off and gonna use the slim ballast for my 2010 Maxima and ordered H11 6000k hids bulbs from hiddepo.com.

I think the "slim" you are talking about are the ballast. There's like a regular size ballast and slim ballast. Correct me if I'm wrong.

One of my friend told me about hiddirectstore.com and I ordered mine, never had any problems with bulbs or ballasts. I've tried to order H11 HID bulbs from them but it looks like the website needed to be updated or something wouldnt let me check out. Other brands I've heard are Notto SE HIDs off of carid.com
Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM

I personally did not have a good experience putting in a set of HIDs in my 2010 S. I bought a 6000K kit from VVME and was not satisfied...One of the ballasts they shipped was defective and I experienced static coming through the radio with the HIDs on. They had decent customer service but overall I would not recommend them as a supplier.

But don't let me dissuade you, most people here have had good luck with other HIDs...I would just recommend investing in a decent kit, not some cheap crap from China. I'll probably buy a better kit soon.

I think the "slim" you're referring to is the thinner style ballast that comes with the kit. Some kits are not slim and the ballast is a bit bulkier and harder to mount. Hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the reponse!

You're probably right. Slim ballasts.

A shop quoted $150 for everything. I'll ask if that includes lifetime warranty, including re-installs. If so, I'll probably go that route.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM

I bought HID's from a company called XENTEC on ebay. They were a cheap option, only like 45 bucks I think for ballasts and bulbs. Whatever company you go through I would recommend picking up a relay kit because I tried installing without it and the bulbs flickered. It's only like 12 bucks and will really save you some frustration. The more expensive kit you're looking at may not require it though. Also if I had to do it again I would buy from this company again. I am actually planning on it when I get fogs and need hid's for those.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by what the junk
I bought HID's from a company called XENTEC on ebay. They were a cheap option, only like 45 bucks I think for ballasts and bulbs. Whatever company you go through I would recommend picking up a relay kit because I tried installing without it and the bulbs flickered. It's only like 12 bucks and will really save you some frustration. The more expensive kit you're looking at may not require it though. Also if I had to do it again I would buy from this company again. I am actually planning on it when I get fogs and need hid's for those.
do they just flicker when you start the HID's up? i don't have a relay kit and the left side flickers for a second and that's it...no flickering while driving

i bought 2 sets from HIDExta.com, they were a good company b4 black friday sale and after that, downhill, check out the group buy forum and read the members comments...i received different colored bulbs and took forever to get new bulbs and they're still off

*just make sure that when you are buying a kit, that it is a true plug and play and not just 2 prongs that you stick into the h11 adapter

i wish i had the money for the japanese hid kit...forgot the name but starts with an "M"
Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Well I got mine from carid.com .10k low n 3k fogs. Had it for 2yrs now n still works like new
Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 PM

I actually purchased mine off of ebay. From my experience the ones that work the best are slim ballasts with a little box which can be a regulator. Dont know exactly how they work. This is a picture of the ones I purchased. I spent like $50. Of course you can buy high end HID's for $200. About 6 months now, no problems. Actually the old ones I had only lasted me 5 months but were the old style. Big ballasts. Clean start up and great color due to the ballast I have. Make sure the HID bulbs go in the same way left and right. The HID bulb has the little link from the bottom to the top tip. That will show through shadows so place the same way facing one direction. I dont like to recommend brands. Dont like the responsibility. Just some quick tips.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...#ht_7713wt_941
Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Gram Lights addict

id be hesitant to swap the bulbs out if the car has projectors from the factory. some of these cheaper bulbs burn hotter and crack/melt te reflector inside the projector. 4300k offers the best output and higher color temps only reduce your visibility further
Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 AM

I've bought many HID's from DDMTuning over the years. Love them. At $35 bucks for plug n play you can't go wrong. Plus, you can get different bulb colors for $15 bucs. I just ordered mine in both 6K and 8K to see how they're going to look with a 55w ballast pushing them. This car has excellent cutoff with the projectors, so the bright ones should be awesome. PM me and I'll send you a link and feedback on how mine turn out the second I get them in. They are great quality and don't flicker. Have upgraded 6 cars with them now. My .02

TK
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Before I place the order, I wanted to know if anyone purchased the cancellation ballasts. Any feedback on this piece is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Just ordered from v-leds.com. Wish me luck. Pics coming soon.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM

i got a set of HIDs from Carid.com. they were $89 shipped and you could choose from 3k, 6k, 8k, 10k, 15k, 25k. I got the 10k, they look good. Took a little bit to install because i didnt take the front bumper off, so getting to where the headlight was kind of difficult but it was still doable.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you post some cut-off pics after your install as well some as head on shots? I've been debating adding some HID's but have been hesitant due to possible glare issues. I have an H9 conversion currently and there is some minor glare and im wondering if it will get worse? Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM

I'll take pics and post them the same day when I install. I should be receiving the package by early/mid next week. I hope to have it up and running by next weekend.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM

did u guys need to remove the front bumper to get this done ? this is the one thing that's preventing me to change out to hid.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM

I know I own a 4th gen and not a 7th gen. But Im running custom retrofits. I use DDM Tuning Slim Ballasts with their bulbs at 6000k. The kit was like 50 bucks, and damn if they arent the best aftermarket ballasts and bulbs ive used. I will always stick with them now. Heres a pic of the output:
Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
did u guys need to remove the front bumper to get this done ? this is the one thing that's preventing me to change out to hid.

You can access it through the wheel well.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Well, I personally wanted 8k since my car is Silver Sport package, Since the premium and sport package's have H.I.D.s you need only D2S bulbs not the whole kit, for fogs you need H11 whole kit. I ordered mine from DDM Tunning, I never had any problems with them or their merchandise. Their only 45$ per kit and bulbs ar only $15 or 20. Hope ths helps to anyone!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM

*and no I didn't need to remove the bumper for head's or fog's took my friend less than 30 minutes to install!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM

if u look in parts for sale im selling a brand new notto HID conversion kit from carid, still in the box unopened H11's 5k output if interested
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by gqblair22
if u look in parts for sale im selling a brand new notto HID conversion kit from carid, still in the box unopened H11's 5k output if interested
I saw your post but already had ordered it from the website. Thanks. It is a good deal. I would have bought it off of you if I had waited.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 PM

did you guys need to remove the front wheels to get access to the inner liner, or did you just turn the wheels to make room ?

Originally Posted by Makc1kNYC
*and no I didn't need to remove the bumper for head's or fog's took my friend less than 30 minutes to install!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 PM

I saw your post but already had ordered it from the website. Thanks. It is a good deal. I would have bought it off of you if I had waited.
dammit haha well if anyone else needs PM me or ask around for me so i can get rid of these lol
Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 PM

did you guys need to remove the front wheels to get access to the inner liner, or did you just turn the wheels to make room ?
just turn the wheel to make room
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Llfe
just turn the wheel to make room
This will save me a lot of time. I installed wheel locks the other day and thought that was annoying in this weather (close to 100 degrees in nj).
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM

i have H11 slim ballast 5K from v-leds for headlights and fog lights

i had them for about a year my opinions are
-slim ballasts are smaller so having a spot to put them would be easier to find
-the light output is awesome look very white and oem
-dont see signs of them melting headlight housing or foglights
-my foglight ballast is cracked because i forgot to strap it and it was dragging on the floor for a few hours and it still works!

one thing i did notice about aftermarket HID's with the S model is that @ night turn your lights off before you put your car on because the time where the car ignites messes up the ballast because the current fluctuates to much thus causing the ballast to malfunction.

plus the warranty from a very creditable company is awesome also

i would take the wheel off and the liner because if this is your first time doing it, will make your install MUCH easier
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
i have H11 slim ballast 5K from v-leds for headlights and fog lights

i had them for about a year my opinions are
-slim ballasts are smaller so having a spot to put them would be easier to find
-the light output is awesome look very white and oem
-dont see signs of them melting headlight housing or foglights
-my foglight ballast is cracked because i forgot to strap it and it was dragging on the floor for a few hours and it still works!

one thing i did notice about aftermarket HID's with the S model is that @ night turn your lights off before you put your car on because the time where the car ignites messes up the ballast because the current fluctuates to much thus causing the ballast to malfunction.

plus the warranty from a very creditable company is awesome also

i would take the wheel off and the liner because if this is your first time doing it, will make your install MUCH easier
Thanks for the information. I'll have to hit you up the next time I'm in Bronx. I heard your car looks ridiculous in person.

Quick Q about turning the HIDs on..... Are you basically saying that I should leave the car on without the headlights for a few minutes?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll have to hit you up the next time I'm in Bronx. I heard your car looks ridiculous in person.

Quick Q about turning the HIDs on..... Are you basically saying that I should leave the car on without the headlights for a few minutes?

LOL who said that? call me up 914 720 0833 ill explain it to you because its easier for me to explain it to you on phone

its def not perfect esp with the fitment issues im having with this after market front bumper i got just to save $100 its NOT WORTH IT! if you guys ever mess up your front bumper and need a new one MAKE SURE YOU GET THE OEM the AM one suxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sorry for cussing but it pisses me offffffffffffff ugh

i had DDM tuning also and i thought they where awesome but i order my fogs from them 3k yellow and they blew out in like 4 months...i was so pissed off

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 07-25-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 PM

wow the HID related postings on this forum sure make it more difficult than it really is to install some hid's.

most of the hid's that u see on ebay and craigslist are all coming out from the same factory from china, so when they say "made in germany" or "japan" it's all a gimmick.

notice how all the ballast and bulb wiring all look identical ?

anyways to the install, I wish I took pics but it happened so fast that I didn't even have time to turn on the camera.

it's really easy to get behind the headlamp housing, just unscrew one plastic clip screw from fender liner and move your hand in there. The headlamp housing doesn't have any covers at the back so u just un-attach original bulb and re-attach new hid bulb....mount the ballast in above the fender liners in the engine bay area.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 PM

ddm
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM

wow the HID related postings on this forum sure make it more difficult than it really is to install some hid's.

most of the hid's that u see on ebay and craigslist are all coming out from the same factory from china, so when they say "made in germany" or "japan" it's all a gimmick.

notice how all the ballast and bulb wiring all look identical ?

anyways to the install, I wish I took pics but it happened so fast that I didn't even have time to turn on the camera.

it's really easy to get behind the headlamp housing, just unscrew one plastic clip screw from fender liner and move your hand in there. The headlamp housing doesn't have any covers at the back so u just un-attach original bulb and re-attach new hid bulb....mount the ballast in above the fender liners in the engine bay area.
Thanks for the tip! I'm expecting to receive the package tomorrow and will install on Saturday.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM

well guys I'm getting a slight flicker on both sides, it's a slow flicker.

I'm gonna change out the ballast to a different type.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tommy K
I've bought many HID's from DDMTuning over the years. Love them. At $35 bucks for plug n play you can't go wrong. Plus, you can get different bulb colors for $15 bucs. I just ordered mine in both 6K and 8K to see how they're going to look with a 55w ballast pushing them. This car has excellent cutoff with the projectors, so the bright ones should be awesome. PM me and I'll send you a link and feedback on how mine turn out the second I get them in. They are great quality and don't flicker. Have upgraded 6 cars with them now. My .02

TK
55w is safe for headlight housing or wiring? (not gonna melt?)
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Update: I installed it last Saturday and on the same night, one would not light up. If restart it, it'll work. This happens about 50% of the time. I'll live with it for now. It was a pain in the rear (imo) getting them installed without removing the bumper and the wheels. Oh well... lession learned.

I'll post pics soon.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by supasoju
55w is safe for headlight housing or wiring? (not gonna melt?)

55w 6000K from ddmtuning in my S projectors... love the look, color, quality. No issues with this car. In fact, never an issue with their kits in any of my cars. For 45$, I'm telling you, there isn't a better kit out there. They always work perfectly. No start-up issues, no flickering, no off-colors, no short outs... just plug n play. Best 45 bucks I've spent to date.

My .02
TK
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM

the vast majority of aftermarket bulbs not only run hotter than their OEM counterparts, but have less lumens, and their UV coating is either too thin, or non-existant. From what I have read, all OEM HID bulbs have a UV coating on the glass, or in some other way incorporated into the bulb. This coating prevents clouding of the projector bowl(lowers brightness), and prevents bubbling of projector bowl surface(many OEM projector bowls have the shiny coating electroplated, or in some other way placed onto the bowl surface). The coating on the projectors is succeptable to damage caused by UV radiation hitting it.

The damage may not be done immediately, but down the line your output, and beam pattern will suffer permanently. It is even riskier to run aftermarket HID bulbs at 55 watt(which according to some tests I have seen, ddmtuning and other chinese ballasts run more like 47 or so watts). Heck, it is even risky to run OEM bulbs at 55 watts (may still cause damage), but there is a much smaller chance of FUBAR'ing your projector bowls.

I personally run OEM phillips 85122+ D2S bulbs at 55 watts in my retrofitted projector headlights

if you are curious about how some aftermarket bulbs fared, sign up with HIDplanet.com and search HID bulb test(i believe that is what the thread is called)

edit: to prevent flicker caused by not enough power to the ballast to ignite the bulb, you can buy a HID relay harness (DDMtuning and other people sell them for any type of bulb, yours would be H11 I believe

Last edited by Mr. Blue Sky; 08-05-2011 at 10:59 AM.